What ever happened to happily ever after?

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 7-8 answers; states etc., periods

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: states etc., periodsMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: states etc., periodsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: states etc., periodsDan Tilque
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: states etc., periodsJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: states etc., periodsswp
`- QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 7-8 answers; states etc., periodsMark Brader

1
QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: states etc., periods

<k4CdnVmeI7LCuoX7nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6158&group=rec.games.trivia#6158

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: states etc., periods
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 18:09:35 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 18:09 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-03-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 7 - Geography - States, Provinces, and Regions

This category is about subnational jurisdictions, such as states,
provinces, and regions. For each question, you'll be asked to
identify which country the jurisdiction is part of.

1. The first question is about Sinaloa. Which country is it in?
2. Zeeland.
3. Otago.
4. Karnataka.
5. Busan.
6. Piedmont.
7. Thuringia.
8. Isfahan.
9. Northern Mindanao.
10. South Kalimantan.

* Game 5, Round 8 - History - Historical Periods

Many historical periods, lasting from decades to centuries, have
familiar titles by which they are known. These questions deal
with named historical periods.

1. What is the name used for the era of US history that came in
the immediate aftermath of the Civil War and was focused on the
repercussions of the abolition of slavery and the reintegration
of the southern states into the Union?

2. What is the name in French for the period of European history
starting in the 1870s and concluding with the outbreak of
World War I? It was considered an era of peace, prosperity,
innovation, and elegance.

3. In which country is the period from 1916 to '28 (or longer,
by some reckonings) known as "the Warlord Era"?

4. The Reconquista is the name applied to the centuries of warfare
between Spanish Christians and Moors that began in the 700s and
ended only with the capitulation of the last Muslim stronghold
in 1492. What Andalusian city was the final bastion of Moorish
Spain?

5. What is the name given to the period of sectarian violence
in Northern Ireland that lasted from the late 1960s to the Good
Friday Agreement of 1998?

6. In the United States, the 1890s were viewed nostalgically
as a time of wealth and ease for the up-and-coming class.
In Great Britain, the decade of Oscar Wilde and Aubrey Beardsley
was characterized as one of moral laxity and licentiousness.
Each nation has its own monicker for the '90s. Provide either.

7. The Risorgimento is the name given to the 19th-century period
when the Italian peninsula became united as a nation for the
first time since the Roman era. What revolutionary adventurer
was the military hero of this period?

8. The French Second Empire was the period in which Baron Haussmann
created today's Paris of grand avenues and vistas by demolishing
much of the medieval city. Who was the ruler of France during
the Second Empire?

9. What is the informal name given to the period of modern German
history between the end of World War I and the rise to power
of Hitler? It derives from the name of the picturesque city
which hosted the assembly that established the post-war German
government.

10. The career of William Shakespeare commenced in the Elizabethan
Era. In which era of English regal history did it conclude?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur fvkgu
dhrfgvba, vs lbh fnvq "gur Tvyqrq Ntr", gung ersref gb n ybatre
uvfgbevpny crevbq. Tb onpx naq tvir n anzr nccyvpnoyr gb gur
fcrpvsvp qrpnqr.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "To great evils we submit; we resent
msb@vex.net | little provocations." --William Hazlitt, 1822

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: states etc., periods

<XnsB151DD2D6CEDCYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6159&group=rec.games.trivia#6159

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: states etc., periods
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 21:44:33 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 19:44 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 7 - Geography - States, Provinces, and Regions
>
> 1. The first question is about Sinaloa. Which country is it in?

Colombia

> 2. Zeeland.

The Netherlands

> 3. Otago.

The newer version of the previous question. That is, New Zealand.

> 4. Karnataka.

India

> 5. Busan.

South Korea

> 6. Piedmont.

Italy

> 7. Thuringia.

Germany

> 8. Isfahan.

Iran

> 9. Northern Mindanao.

The Phillipins

> 10. South Kalimantan.

Indonesia

> * Game 5, Round 8 - History - Historical Periods
>
> 3. In which country is the period from 1916 to '28 (or longer,
> by some reckonings) known as "the Warlord Era"?

China

> 4. The Reconquista is the name applied to the centuries of warfare
> between Spanish Christians and Moors that began in the 700s and
> ended only with the capitulation of the last Muslim stronghold
> in 1492. What Andalusian city was the final bastion of Moorish
> Spain?

Granada
> 5. What is the name given to the period of sectarian violence
> in Northern Ireland that lasted from the late 1960s to the Good
> Friday Agreement of 1998?

The Troubles
> 7. The Risorgimento is the name given to the 19th-century period
> when the Italian peninsula became united as a nation for the
> first time since the Roman era. What revolutionary adventurer
> was the military hero of this period?

Garibaldi
> 8. The French Second Empire was the period in which Baron Haussmann
> created today's Paris of grand avenues and vistas by demolishing
> much of the medieval city. Who was the ruler of France during
> the Second Empire?

Napoleon III
> 9. What is the informal name given to the period of modern German
> history between the end of World War I and the rise to power
> of Hitler? It derives from the name of the picturesque city
> which hosted the assembly that established the post-war German
> government.

Weimar Republic

> 10. The career of William Shakespeare commenced in the Elizabethan
> Era. In which era of English regal history did it conclude?

The Tudors

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: states etc., periods

<uv9qdt$1uoc3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6160&group=rec.games.trivia#6160

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 16:06:35 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 23:06 UTC

On 4/11/24 11:09, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Geography - States, Provinces, and Regions
>
> This category is about subnational jurisdictions, such as states,
> provinces, and regions. For each question, you'll be asked to
> identify which country the jurisdiction is part of.
>
> 1. The first question is about Sinaloa. Which country is it in?

Mexico

> 2. Zeeland.

Netherlands

> 3. Otago.

New Zealand

> 4. Karnataka.
> 5. Busan.

South Korea

> 6. Piedmont.

Italy

> 7. Thuringia.

Germany

> 8. Isfahan.

Afghanistan

> 9. Northern Mindanao.

Philippines

> 10. South Kalimantan.
>

> * Game 5, Round 8 - History - Historical Periods
>
> Many historical periods, lasting from decades to centuries, have
> familiar titles by which they are known. These questions deal
> with named historical periods.
>
> 1. What is the name used for the era of US history that came in
> the immediate aftermath of the Civil War and was focused on the
> repercussions of the abolition of slavery and the reintegration
> of the southern states into the Union?

Reconstruction

> 2. What is the name in French for the period of European history
> starting in the 1870s and concluding with the outbreak of
> World War I? It was considered an era of peace, prosperity,
> innovation, and elegance.
>
> 3. In which country is the period from 1916 to '28 (or longer,
> by some reckonings) known as "the Warlord Era"?

China

> 4. The Reconquista is the name applied to the centuries of warfare
> between Spanish Christians and Moors that began in the 700s and
> ended only with the capitulation of the last Muslim stronghold
> in 1492. What Andalusian city was the final bastion of Moorish
> Spain?

Granada

> 5. What is the name given to the period of sectarian violence
> in Northern Ireland that lasted from the late 1960s to the Good
> Friday Agreement of 1998?

Troubles

> 6. In the United States, the 1890s were viewed nostalgically
> as a time of wealth and ease for the up-and-coming class.
> In Great Britain, the decade of Oscar Wilde and Aubrey Beardsley
> was characterized as one of moral laxity and licentiousness.
> Each nation has its own monicker for the '90s. Provide either.

Mauve Decade

> 7. The Risorgimento is the name given to the 19th-century period
> when the Italian peninsula became united as a nation for the
> first time since the Roman era. What revolutionary adventurer
> was the military hero of this period?

Garibaldi

> 8. The French Second Empire was the period in which Baron Haussmann
> created today's Paris of grand avenues and vistas by demolishing
> much of the medieval city. Who was the ruler of France during
> the Second Empire?

Napoleon III

> 9. What is the informal name given to the period of modern German
> history between the end of World War I and the rise to power
> of Hitler? It derives from the name of the picturesque city
> which hosted the assembly that established the post-war German
> government.

Weimar Republic

> 10. The career of William Shakespeare commenced in the Elizabethan
> Era. In which era of English regal history did it conclude?

Jacobean Era

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: states etc., periods

<uva0lm$1vqm6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6161&group=rec.games.trivia#6161

From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 19:53:09 -0500
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 00:53 UTC

On 4/11/2024 1:09 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Geography - States, Provinces, and Regions
>
> This category is about subnational jurisdictions, such as states,
> provinces, and regions. For each question, you'll be asked to
> identify which country the jurisdiction is part of.
>
> 1. The first question is about Sinaloa. Which country is it in?

Mexico

> 2. Zeeland.

Netherlands

> 3. Otago.

New Zealand

> 4. Karnataka.

India

> 5. Busan.

South Korea

> 6. Piedmont.

France

> 7. Thuringia.

Germany

> 8. Isfahan.

Iran; Pakistan

> 9. Northern Mindanao.

Philippines

> 10. South Kalimantan.

Indonesia

> * Game 5, Round 8 - History - Historical Periods
>
> Many historical periods, lasting from decades to centuries, have
> familiar titles by which they are known. These questions deal
> with named historical periods.
>
> 1. What is the name used for the era of US history that came in
> the immediate aftermath of the Civil War and was focused on the
> repercussions of the abolition of slavery and the reintegration
> of the southern states into the Union?

Reconstruction

> 2. What is the name in French for the period of European history
> starting in the 1870s and concluding with the outbreak of
> World War I? It was considered an era of peace, prosperity,
> innovation, and elegance.

belle epoque

> 3. In which country is the period from 1916 to '28 (or longer,
> by some reckonings) known as "the Warlord Era"?

China

> 4. The Reconquista is the name applied to the centuries of warfare
> between Spanish Christians and Moors that began in the 700s and
> ended only with the capitulation of the last Muslim stronghold
> in 1492. What Andalusian city was the final bastion of Moorish
> Spain?

Cordoba; Grenada

> 5. What is the name given to the period of sectarian violence
> in Northern Ireland that lasted from the late 1960s to the Good
> Friday Agreement of 1998?

the Troubles

> 6. In the United States, the 1890s were viewed nostalgically
> as a time of wealth and ease for the up-and-coming class.
> In Great Britain, the decade of Oscar Wilde and Aubrey Beardsley
> was characterized as one of moral laxity and licentiousness.
> Each nation has its own monicker for the '90s. Provide either.

The Gay Nineties

> 7. The Risorgimento is the name given to the 19th-century period
> when the Italian peninsula became united as a nation for the
> first time since the Roman era. What revolutionary adventurer
> was the military hero of this period?

Garibaldi

> 8. The French Second Empire was the period in which Baron Haussmann
> created today's Paris of grand avenues and vistas by demolishing
> much of the medieval city. Who was the ruler of France during
> the Second Empire?

Napoleon III

> 9. What is the informal name given to the period of modern German
> history between the end of World War I and the rise to power
> of Hitler? It derives from the name of the picturesque city
> which hosted the assembly that established the post-war German
> government.

Weimar Germany

> 10. The career of William Shakespeare commenced in the Elizabethan
> Era. In which era of English regal history did it conclude?

Jacobean Era

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: states etc., periods

<XnsB154E2E514AD5stephenwperrygmailco@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6163&group=rec.games.trivia#6163

From: swp@aol.com (swp)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 02:18:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: swp - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 02:18 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-03-04,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
> of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Geography - States, Provinces, and Regions
>
> This category is about subnational jurisdictions, such as states,
> provinces, and regions. For each question, you'll be asked to
> identify which country the jurisdiction is part of.
>
> 1. The first question is about Sinaloa. Which country is it in?

mexico

> 2. Zeeland.

the netherlands

> 3. Otago.

new zealand

> 4. Karnataka.

india

> 5. Busan.

south korea

> 6. Piedmont.

united states

> 7. Thuringia.

germany

> 8. Isfahan.

iran

> 9. Northern Mindanao.

philippines

> 10. South Kalimantan.

indonesia

> * Game 5, Round 8 - History - Historical Periods
>
> Many historical periods, lasting from decades to centuries, have
> familiar titles by which they are known. These questions deal
> with named historical periods.
>
> 1. What is the name used for the era of US history that came in
> the immediate aftermath of the Civil War and was focused on the
> repercussions of the abolition of slavery and the reintegration
> of the southern states into the Union?

antebellum

> 2. What is the name in French for the period of European history
> starting in the 1870s and concluding with the outbreak of
> World War I? It was considered an era of peace, prosperity,
> innovation, and elegance.

la belle epoque

> 3. In which country is the period from 1916 to '28 (or longer,
> by some reckonings) known as "the Warlord Era"?

china

> 4. The Reconquista is the name applied to the centuries of warfare
> between Spanish Christians and Moors that began in the 700s and
> ended only with the capitulation of the last Muslim stronghold
> in 1492. What Andalusian city was the final bastion of Moorish
> Spain?

grenada?

> 5. What is the name given to the period of sectarian violence
> in Northern Ireland that lasted from the late 1960s to the Good
> Friday Agreement of 1998?

the troubles

> 6. In the United States, the 1890s were viewed nostalgically
> as a time of wealth and ease for the up-and-coming class.
> In Great Britain, the decade of Oscar Wilde and Aubrey Beardsley
> was characterized as one of moral laxity and licentiousness.
> Each nation has its own monicker for the '90s. Provide either.

the mauve decade

> 7. The Risorgimento is the name given to the 19th-century period
> when the Italian peninsula became united as a nation for the
> first time since the Roman era. What revolutionary adventurer
> was the military hero of this period?

giuseppe garibaldi?

> 8. The French Second Empire was the period in which Baron Haussmann
> created today's Paris of grand avenues and vistas by demolishing
> much of the medieval city. Who was the ruler of France during
> the Second Empire?

napoleon iii

> 9. What is the informal name given to the period of modern German
> history between the end of World War I and the rise to power
> of Hitler? It derives from the name of the picturesque city
> which hosted the assembly that established the post-war German
> government.

weimar republic

> 10. The career of William Shakespeare commenced in the Elizabethan
> Era. In which era of English regal history did it conclude?

king james i ?

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur fvkgu
> dhrfgvba, vs lbh fnvq "gur Tvyqrq Ntr", gung ersref gb n ybatre
> uvfgbevpny crevbq. Tb onpx naq tvir n anzr nccyvpnoyr gb gur
> fcrpvsvp qrpnqr.

swp

QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 7-8 answers; states etc., periods

<PWSdnYmhO--6BYH7nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6164&group=rec.games.trivia#6164

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 7-8 answers; states etc., periods
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 02:59:51 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 02:59 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-03-04,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Geography - States, Provinces, and Regions

> This category is about subnational jurisdictions, such as states,
> provinces, and regions. For each question, you'll be asked to
> identify which country the jurisdiction is part of.

> 1. The first question is about Sinaloa. Which country is it in?

Mexico. 4 for Dan, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 2. Zeeland.

Netherlands. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 3. Otago.

New Zealand. 4 for everyone.

> 4. Karnataka.

India. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 5. Busan.

South Korea. 4 for everyone.

> 6. Piedmont.

Italy. 4 for Erland and Dan.

> 7. Thuringia.

Germany. 4 for everyone.

> 8. Isfahan.

Iran. 4 for Erland and Stephen. 3 for Joshua.

> 9. Northern Mindanao.

Philippines. 4 for everyone.

> 10. South Kalimantan.

Indonesia. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Stephen.

> * Game 5, Round 8 - History - Historical Periods

> Many historical periods, lasting from decades to centuries, have
> familiar titles by which they are known. These questions deal
> with named historical periods.

> 1. What is the name used for the era of US history that came in
> the immediate aftermath of the Civil War and was focused on the
> repercussions of the abolition of slavery and the reintegration
> of the southern states into the Union?

Reconstruction. 4 for Dan and Joshua.

> 2. What is the name in French for the period of European history
> starting in the 1870s and concluding with the outbreak of
> World War I? It was considered an era of peace, prosperity,
> innovation, and elegance.

Belle Époque. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 3. In which country is the period from 1916 to '28 (or longer,
> by some reckonings) known as "the Warlord Era"?

China. 4 for everyone.

> 4. The Reconquista is the name applied to the centuries of warfare
> between Spanish Christians and Moors that began in the 700s and
> ended only with the capitulation of the last Muslim stronghold
> in 1492. What Andalusian city was the final bastion of Moorish
> Spain?

Granada. (With 3 A's, unlike a certain Caribbean country.)
4 for Erland, Dan, and Stephen. 2 for Joshua.

> 5. What is the name given to the period of sectarian violence
> in Northern Ireland that lasted from the late 1960s to the Good
> Friday Agreement of 1998?

The Troubles. 4 for everyone.

> 6. In the United States, the 1890s were viewed nostalgically
> as a time of wealth and ease for the up-and-coming class.
> In Great Britain, the decade of Oscar Wilde and Aubrey Beardsley
> was characterized as one of moral laxity and licentiousness.
> Each nation has its own monicker for the '90s. Provide either.

Gay '90s (US), Naughty '90s (Britain). Also accepting "Mauve Decade".
4 for Dan, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 7. The Risorgimento is the name given to the 19th-century period
> when the Italian peninsula became united as a nation for the
> first time since the Roman era. What revolutionary adventurer
> was the military hero of this period?

Giuseppe Garibaldi. 4 for everyone.

> 8. The French Second Empire was the period in which Baron Haussmann
> created today's Paris of grand avenues and vistas by demolishing
> much of the medieval city. Who was the ruler of France during
> the Second Empire?

Napoleon III. 4 for everyone.

> 9. What is the informal name given to the period of modern German
> history between the end of World War I and the rise to power
> of Hitler? It derives from the name of the picturesque city
> which hosted the assembly that established the post-war German
> government.

Weimar Republic. 4 for everyone.

> 10. The career of William Shakespeare commenced in the Elizabethan
> Era. In which era of English regal history did it conclude?

Jacobean Era. (After King James I.) 4 for Dan and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Spo Ent Aud Sci Geo His FIVE
Joshua Kreitzer 4 22 36 36 8 35 38 167
Dan Tilque 8 12 16 28 12 28 36 120
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 0 0 12 36 24 92
Dan Blum 0 6 20 32 12 -- -- 70
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- -- 36 32 68

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Good Lord, it's not a locomotive.
msb@vex.net | --Tony Cooper