Except for 75% of the women, everyone in the whole world wants to have sex. -- Ellyn Mustard

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Oscar's women and the nuclear North

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Oscar's women and the nuclear NorthMark Brader
+* Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Oscar's women and the nuclear NorthJoshua Kreitzer
|`- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Oscar's women and the nuclear NorthJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Oscar's women and the nuclear NorthDan Tilque
+* QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Oscar's women and the nuclear NorthMark Brader
|`* Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Oscar's women and the nuclear Northswp
| `- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Oscar's women and the nuclear NorthMark Brader
`* Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Oscar's women and the nuclear NorthPete Gayde
 `- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Oscar's women and the nuclear NorthMark Brader

1
QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Oscar's women and the nuclear North

<A5acnaSEQqIH2Lz7nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6172&group=rec.games.trivia#6172

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Oscar's women and the nuclear North
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:08:58 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:08 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-03-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - Oscar and his Women

This 2-for-1 round celebrates International Women's Day last Friday
and the Academy Awards presentations last night. (Don't worry,
though: no questions on last night's winners!)

1. Which two-time best actress winner claims to have given the
Academy's gold statuette his nickname? She said it reminded
her of her first husband, Harmon Oscar Nelson.

2. Who was the first woman to win a Best Actress Oscar for a
performance in a language other than English? The movie was
"Two Women" (1960).

3. Who was the first woman to win a Best Director Oscar? The movie
was "The Hurt Locker" (2008).

4. Which woman has won the most Oscars, twice as many as Katharine
Hepburn's 4?

5. Who holds the record for the most Academy Award acting
nominations (starring and supporting combined)?

6. A Best Actress winner both times she was nominated, this woman
starred in "Boys Don't Cry" (1999) and "Million Dollar Baby"
(2004). Who?

7. Who won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for playing a man in
"The Year of Living Dangerously" (1982)?

8. This woman was the first person to win Best Actor or Actress in
two successive years -- 1936 and 1937 (for "The Great Ziegfield"
and "The Good Earth"). In fact, she was the first person to
win more than one Oscar, period. Who?

9. The youngest Oscar winner ever was just 10 when she was named
Best Supporting Actress for 1973. Her name?

10. In "The Aviator" (2004), who won a Best Supporting Actress
Oscar for playing another Oscar winner?

* Game 6, Round 3 - Canadiana - The Nuclear North

1. The earliest uranium mines in Canada, at Great Bear Lake, were
initially developed not to mine uranium, but rather another
element, atomic number 88, which was used in the 1930s in
early radiation therapy, and to make luminescent clocks, dials,
and gauges. Name the element.

2. The townsite in the last question was named after <answer 1>,
but the principal mining company there took its name from a
fictional land of fabulous riches, since its founders had
originally focused on mining gold. Name the company, which
was nationalized in 1943 for national security reasons.

3. In 1988 <answer 2> merged with the Saskatchewan Mining
Development Corp. to create Cameco, the Canadian Mining and
Energy Corp. Cameco operates two uranium refining facilities
in Ontario today, one in northern Ontario and another in
south-central Ontario. Give the municipality where *either*
facility is located.

4. In September 1945, just 3 weeks after the atomic bombs were
dropped, a Canadian test reactor achieved the first self-
sustained nuclear reaction outside the US. In which Ottawa
Valley town was the reactor located?

5. Unfortunately, the world's first serious nuclear-reactor
accident took place at <answer 4>, in December 1952. During
the cleanup, crews from the US Navy were dispatched to assist.
One of those crews was led by a future US president, at the
time a navy lieutenant and submariner. Name him.

6. There are currently 19 functioning nuclear reactors in Canada
that produce electricity for commercial use. 18 of these are
in Ontario, variously at the Bruce, Pickering, and Darlington
sites. In which province will you find the other reactor?

7. Those 19 reactors are all of the same basic type. Designed by
Canadian General Electric, Ontario Hydro, and Atomic Energy of
Canada Ltd. in the 1960s, these reactors use deuterium oxide,
aka heavy water, to moderate the neutrons; this allows unenriched
uranium to be used. What is the name of this design?

8. In 2007, the National Research Universal reactor in <answer 4>
was shut down for repairs, but an act of Parliament forced it
to restart quickly. What was the reason for the sudden restart?

9. In the 1990s, competition from Saskatchewan mines and a US
decision to "Buy American" led to the closure of uranium mines
in the self-titled "Uranium Capital of the World", north of
Lake Huron. This single-industry town has since reinvented
itself as a retirement community with very affordable houses.
Name the town.

10. <answer 7> reactors produce from 500 to almost 900 megawatts
of electricity. The latest development in nuclear reactors is
the SMR, which produces under 300 MW, is built in a factory and
shipped to the operating site, and can be easily scaled up as
demand increases. What does SMR stand for?

--
Mark Brader | The only trouble was, no despot had the resources to plan
msb@vex.net | every detail in his society's behavior. Not even planet-
| civilizations. --Vernor Vinge, "A Deepness in the Sky"

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Oscar's women and the nuclear North

<uvsg1e$2i6lp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6173&group=rec.games.trivia#6173

From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 20:05:50 -0500
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 01:05 UTC

On 4/18/2024 11:08 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - Oscar and his Women
>
> This 2-for-1 round celebrates International Women's Day last Friday
> and the Academy Awards presentations last night. (Don't worry,
> though: no questions on last night's winners!)
>
> 1. Which two-time best actress winner claims to have given the
> Academy's gold statuette his nickname? She said it reminded
> her of her first husband, Harmon Oscar Nelson.

Bette Davis

> 2. Who was the first woman to win a Best Actress Oscar for a
> performance in a language other than English? The movie was
> "Two Women" (1960).

Sophia Loren

> 3. Who was the first woman to win a Best Director Oscar? The movie
> was "The Hurt Locker" (2008).

Kathryn Bigelow

> 4. Which woman has won the most Oscars, twice as many as Katharine
> Hepburn's 4?

Edith Head

> 5. Who holds the record for the most Academy Award acting
> nominations (starring and supporting combined)?

Meryl Streep

> 6. A Best Actress winner both times she was nominated, this woman
> starred in "Boys Don't Cry" (1999) and "Million Dollar Baby"
> (2004). Who?

Hilary Swank

> 7. Who won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for playing a man in
> "The Year of Living Dangerously" (1982)?

Linda Hunt

> 8. This woman was the first person to win Best Actor or Actress in
> two successive years -- 1936 and 1937 (for "The Great Ziegfield"
> and "The Good Earth"). In fact, she was the first person to
> win more than one Oscar, period. Who?

Luise Rainer
(comment: should that say "the first person to win more then one Oscar
for acting"?)

> 9. The youngest Oscar winner ever was just 10 when she was named
> Best Supporting Actress for 1973. Her name?

Tatum O'Neal

> 10. In "The Aviator" (2004), who won a Best Supporting Actress
> Oscar for playing another Oscar winner?

Cate Blanchett

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Canadiana - The Nuclear North
>
> 1. The earliest uranium mines in Canada, at Great Bear Lake, were
> initially developed not to mine uranium, but rather another
> element, atomic number 88, which was used in the 1930s in
> early radiation therapy, and to make luminescent clocks, dials,
> and gauges. Name the element.

radium

> 2. The townsite in the last question was named after <answer 1>,
> but the principal mining company there took its name from a
> fictional land of fabulous riches, since its founders had
> originally focused on mining gold. Name the company, which
> was nationalized in 1943 for national security reasons.

Shangri-La; Utopia

> 5. Unfortunately, the world's first serious nuclear-reactor
> accident took place at <answer 4>, in December 1952. During
> the cleanup, crews from the US Navy were dispatched to assist.
> One of those crews was led by a future US president, at the
> time a navy lieutenant and submariner. Name him.

Jimmy Carter

> 6. There are currently 19 functioning nuclear reactors in Canada
> that produce electricity for commercial use. 18 of these are
> in Ontario, variously at the Bruce, Pickering, and Darlington
> sites. In which province will you find the other reactor?

Saskatchewan; Manitoba

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Oscar's women and the nuclear North

<uvsgb2$2i6lp$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6174&group=rec.games.trivia#6174

From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 20:10:58 -0500
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 01:10 UTC

On 4/18/2024 8:05 PM, Joshua Kreitzer wrote:

> (comment: should that say "the first person to win more then one Oscar
> for acting"?)

Well, it shouldn't _literally_ say that. Maybe "the first person to win
more *than* one Oscar for acting" instead.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Oscar's women and the nuclear North

<uvuuom$38kam$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6175&group=rec.games.trivia#6175

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 16:29:24 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 23:29 UTC

On 4/18/24 09:08, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - Oscar and his Women
>
> This 2-for-1 round celebrates International Women's Day last Friday
> and the Academy Awards presentations last night. (Don't worry,
> though: no questions on last night's winners!)
>
> 1. Which two-time best actress winner claims to have given the
> Academy's gold statuette his nickname? She said it reminded
> her of her first husband, Harmon Oscar Nelson.
>
> 2. Who was the first woman to win a Best Actress Oscar for a
> performance in a language other than English? The movie was
> "Two Women" (1960).
>
> 3. Who was the first woman to win a Best Director Oscar? The movie
> was "The Hurt Locker" (2008).
>
> 4. Which woman has won the most Oscars, twice as many as Katharine
> Hepburn's 4?
>
> 5. Who holds the record for the most Academy Award acting
> nominations (starring and supporting combined)?
>
> 6. A Best Actress winner both times she was nominated, this woman
> starred in "Boys Don't Cry" (1999) and "Million Dollar Baby"
> (2004). Who?
>
> 7. Who won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for playing a man in
> "The Year of Living Dangerously" (1982)?
>
> 8. This woman was the first person to win Best Actor or Actress in
> two successive years -- 1936 and 1937 (for "The Great Ziegfield"
> and "The Good Earth"). In fact, she was the first person to
> win more than one Oscar, period. Who?
>
> 9. The youngest Oscar winner ever was just 10 when she was named
> Best Supporting Actress for 1973. Her name?
>
> 10. In "The Aviator" (2004), who won a Best Supporting Actress
> Oscar for playing another Oscar winner?
>

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Canadiana - The Nuclear North
>
> 1. The earliest uranium mines in Canada, at Great Bear Lake, were
> initially developed not to mine uranium, but rather another
> element, atomic number 88, which was used in the 1930s in
> early radiation therapy, and to make luminescent clocks, dials,
> and gauges. Name the element.

radium

> 2. The townsite in the last question was named after <answer 1>,
> but the principal mining company there took its name from a
> fictional land of fabulous riches, since its founders had
> originally focused on mining gold. Name the company, which
> was nationalized in 1943 for national security reasons.
>
> 3. In 1988 <answer 2> merged with the Saskatchewan Mining
> Development Corp. to create Cameco, the Canadian Mining and
> Energy Corp. Cameco operates two uranium refining facilities
> in Ontario today, one in northern Ontario and another in
> south-central Ontario. Give the municipality where *either*
> facility is located.
>
> 4. In September 1945, just 3 weeks after the atomic bombs were
> dropped, a Canadian test reactor achieved the first self-
> sustained nuclear reaction outside the US. In which Ottawa
> Valley town was the reactor located?
>
> 5. Unfortunately, the world's first serious nuclear-reactor
> accident took place at <answer 4>, in December 1952. During
> the cleanup, crews from the US Navy were dispatched to assist.
> One of those crews was led by a future US president, at the
> time a navy lieutenant and submariner. Name him.

Jimmy Carter

> 6. There are currently 19 functioning nuclear reactors in Canada
> that produce electricity for commercial use. 18 of these are
> in Ontario, variously at the Bruce, Pickering, and Darlington
> sites. In which province will you find the other reactor?

Quebec

> 7. Those 19 reactors are all of the same basic type. Designed by
> Canadian General Electric, Ontario Hydro, and Atomic Energy of
> Canada Ltd. in the 1960s, these reactors use deuterium oxide,
> aka heavy water, to moderate the neutrons; this allows unenriched
> uranium to be used. What is the name of this design?

CanDU

> 8. In 2007, the National Research Universal reactor in <answer 4>
> was shut down for repairs, but an act of Parliament forced it
> to restart quickly. What was the reason for the sudden restart?
>
> 9. In the 1990s, competition from Saskatchewan mines and a US
> decision to "Buy American" led to the closure of uranium mines
> in the self-titled "Uranium Capital of the World", north of
> Lake Huron. This single-industry town has since reinvented
> itself as a retirement community with very affordable houses.
> Name the town.
>
> 10. <answer 7> reactors produce from 500 to almost 900 megawatts
> of electricity. The latest development in nuclear reactors is
> the SMR, which produces under 300 MW, is built in a factory and
> shipped to the operating site, and can be easily scaled up as
> demand increases. What does SMR stand for?

Small Modular Reactor

--
Dan Tilque

QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Oscar's women and the nuclear North

<83OdneBqCNRPBLj7nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6176&group=rec.games.trivia#6176

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Oscar's women and the nuclear North
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 22:57:22 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 22:57 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-03-11,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - Oscar and his Women

> This 2-for-1 round celebrates International Women's Day last Friday
> and the Academy Awards presentations last night. (Don't worry,
> though: no questions on last night's winners!)

> 1. Which two-time best actress winner claims to have given the
> Academy's gold statuette his nickname? She said it reminded
> her of her first husband, Harmon Oscar Nelson.

Bette Davis. 4 for Joshua.

> 2. Who was the first woman to win a Best Actress Oscar for a
> performance in a language other than English? The movie was
> "Two Women" (1960).

Sophia Loren. 4 for Joshua.

> 3. Who was the first woman to win a Best Director Oscar? The movie
> was "The Hurt Locker" (2008).

Kathryn Bigelow. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. Which woman has won the most Oscars, twice as many as Katharine
> Hepburn's 4?

Edith Head. (Costume Design.) 4 for Joshua.

> 5. Who holds the record for the most Academy Award acting
> nominations (starring and supporting combined)?

Meryl Streep. (21.) 4 for Joshua.

> 6. A Best Actress winner both times she was nominated, this woman
> starred in "Boys Don't Cry" (1999) and "Million Dollar Baby"
> (2004). Who?

Hilary Swank. 4 for Joshua.

> 7. Who won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for playing a man in
> "The Year of Living Dangerously" (1982)?

Linda Hunt. 4 for Joshua.

> 8. This woman was the first person to win Best Actor or Actress in
> two successive years -- 1936 and 1937 (for "The Great Ziegfield"
> and "The Good Earth"). In fact, she was the first person to
> win more than one Oscar, period. Who?

Luise Rainer. 4 for Joshua.

Oops, apparently that should have said "Oscar for acting", as Joshua
suggested. For example, Lewis Milestone, Frank Lloyd, and Frank
Capra had each won two Oscars for directing by then.

> 9. The youngest Oscar winner ever was just 10 when she was named
> Best Supporting Actress for 1973. Her name?

Tatum O'Neal. ("Paper Moon".) 4 for Joshua.

> 10. In "The Aviator" (2004), who won a Best Supporting Actress
> Oscar for playing another Oscar winner?

Cate Blanchett. (As Katharine Hepburn.) 4 for Joshua.

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Canadiana - The Nuclear North

> 1. The earliest uranium mines in Canada, at Great Bear Lake, were
> initially developed not to mine uranium, but rather another
> element, atomic number 88, which was used in the 1930s in
> early radiation therapy, and to make luminescent clocks, dials,
> and gauges. Name the element.

Radium. 4 for Joshua and Dan.

> 2. The townsite in the last question was named after <answer 1>,
> but the principal mining company there took its name from a
> fictional land of fabulous riches, since its founders had
> originally focused on mining gold. Name the company, which
> was nationalized in 1943 for national security reasons.

El Dorado.

> 3. In 1988 <answer 2> merged with the Saskatchewan Mining
> Development Corp. to create Cameco, the Canadian Mining and
> Energy Corp. Cameco operates two uranium refining facilities
> in Ontario today, one in northern Ontario and another in
> south-central Ontario. Give the municipality where *either*
> facility is located.

Blind River, Port Hope.

> 4. In September 1945, just 3 weeks after the atomic bombs were
> dropped, a Canadian test reactor achieved the first self-
> sustained nuclear reaction outside the US. In which Ottawa
> Valley town was the reactor located?

Chalk River. (It finally closed down in 2018.)

> 5. Unfortunately, the world's first serious nuclear-reactor
> accident took place at <answer 4>, in December 1952. During
> the cleanup, crews from the US Navy were dispatched to assist.
> One of those crews was led by a future US president, at the
> time a navy lieutenant and submariner. Name him.

Jimmy Carter. 4 for, uh, everyone -- Joshua and Dan.

> 6. There are currently 19 functioning nuclear reactors in Canada
> that produce electricity for commercial use. 18 of these are
> in Ontario, variously at the Bruce, Pickering, and Darlington
> sites. In which province will you find the other reactor?

New Brunswick.

> 7. Those 19 reactors are all of the same basic type. Designed by
> Canadian General Electric, Ontario Hydro, and Atomic Energy of
> Canada Ltd. in the 1960s, these reactors use deuterium oxide,
> aka heavy water, to moderate the neutrons; this allows unenriched
> uranium to be used. What is the name of this design?

CANDU (CANadian Deuterium-Uranium). 4 for Dan.

> 8. In 2007, the National Research Universal reactor in <answer 4>
> was shut down for repairs, but an act of Parliament forced it
> to restart quickly. What was the reason for the sudden restart?

The shutdown had caused a global shortage of medical isotopes.
(Anything close was acceptable.)

> 9. In the 1990s, competition from Saskatchewan mines and a US
> decision to "Buy American" led to the closure of uranium mines
> in the self-titled "Uranium Capital of the World", north of
> Lake Huron. This single-industry town has since reinvented
> itself as a retirement community with very affordable houses.
> Name the town.

Elliot Lake.

> 10. <answer 7> reactors produce from 500 to almost 900 megawatts
> of electricity. The latest development in nuclear reactors is
> the SMR, which produces under 300 MW, is built in a factory and
> shipped to the operating site, and can be easily scaled up as
> demand increases. What does SMR stand for?

Small Modular Reactor. 4 for Dan.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Can
Joshua Kreitzer 40 8 48
Dan Tilque 0 16 16

--
Mark Brader | "...very satisfying -- it's like the erosion geology edition
Toronto | of the electromagnetic spectrum chart."

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Oscar's women and the nuclear North

<v04hkk$no57$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6178&group=rec.games.trivia#6178

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 21:22:10 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 02:22 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-03-11,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
> of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - Oscar and his Women
>
> This 2-for-1 round celebrates International Women's Day last Friday
> and the Academy Awards presentations last night. (Don't worry,
> though: no questions on last night's winners!)
>
> 1. Which two-time best actress winner claims to have given the
> Academy's gold statuette his nickname? She said it reminded
> her of her first husband, Harmon Oscar Nelson.

Helen Hayes

> 2. Who was the first woman to win a Best Actress Oscar for a
> performance in a language other than English? The movie was
> "Two Women" (1960).
>
> 3. Who was the first woman to win a Best Director Oscar? The movie
> was "The Hurt Locker" (2008).
>
> 4. Which woman has won the most Oscars, twice as many as Katharine
> Hepburn's 4?
>
> 5. Who holds the record for the most Academy Award acting
> nominations (starring and supporting combined)?

Streep

> 6. A Best Actress winner both times she was nominated, this woman
> starred in "Boys Don't Cry" (1999) and "Million Dollar Baby"
> (2004). Who?

Swank

> 7. Who won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for playing a man in
> "The Year of Living Dangerously" (1982)?
>
> 8. This woman was the first person to win Best Actor or Actress in
> two successive years -- 1936 and 1937 (for "The Great Ziegfield"
> and "The Good Earth"). In fact, she was the first person to
> win more than one Oscar, period. Who?
>
> 9. The youngest Oscar winner ever was just 10 when she was named
> Best Supporting Actress for 1973. Her name?

Tatum O'Neal

> 10. In "The Aviator" (2004), who won a Best Supporting Actress
> Oscar for playing another Oscar winner?
>

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Canadiana - The Nuclear North
>
> 1. The earliest uranium mines in Canada, at Great Bear Lake, were
> initially developed not to mine uranium, but rather another
> element, atomic number 88, which was used in the 1930s in
> early radiation therapy, and to make luminescent clocks, dials,
> and gauges. Name the element.
>
> 2. The townsite in the last question was named after <answer 1>,
> but the principal mining company there took its name from a
> fictional land of fabulous riches, since its founders had
> originally focused on mining gold. Name the company, which
> was nationalized in 1943 for national security reasons.
>
> 3. In 1988 <answer 2> merged with the Saskatchewan Mining
> Development Corp. to create Cameco, the Canadian Mining and
> Energy Corp. Cameco operates two uranium refining facilities
> in Ontario today, one in northern Ontario and another in
> south-central Ontario. Give the municipality where *either*
> facility is located.
>
> 4. In September 1945, just 3 weeks after the atomic bombs were
> dropped, a Canadian test reactor achieved the first self-
> sustained nuclear reaction outside the US. In which Ottawa
> Valley town was the reactor located?
>
> 5. Unfortunately, the world's first serious nuclear-reactor
> accident took place at <answer 4>, in December 1952. During
> the cleanup, crews from the US Navy were dispatched to assist.
> One of those crews was led by a future US president, at the
> time a navy lieutenant and submariner. Name him.

Carter

> 6. There are currently 19 functioning nuclear reactors in Canada
> that produce electricity for commercial use. 18 of these are
> in Ontario, variously at the Bruce, Pickering, and Darlington
> sites. In which province will you find the other reactor?
>
> 7. Those 19 reactors are all of the same basic type. Designed by
> Canadian General Electric, Ontario Hydro, and Atomic Energy of
> Canada Ltd. in the 1960s, these reactors use deuterium oxide,
> aka heavy water, to moderate the neutrons; this allows unenriched
> uranium to be used. What is the name of this design?
>
> 8. In 2007, the National Research Universal reactor in <answer 4>
> was shut down for repairs, but an act of Parliament forced it
> to restart quickly. What was the reason for the sudden restart?
>
> 9. In the 1990s, competition from Saskatchewan mines and a US
> decision to "Buy American" led to the closure of uranium mines
> in the self-titled "Uranium Capital of the World", north of
> Lake Huron. This single-industry town has since reinvented
> itself as a retirement community with very affordable houses.
> Name the town.
>
> 10. <answer 7> reactors produce from 500 to almost 900 megawatts
> of electricity. The latest development in nuclear reactors is
> the SMR, which produces under 300 MW, is built in a factory and
> shipped to the operating site, and can be easily scaled up as
> demand increases. What does SMR stand for?

Pete Gayde

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Oscar's women and the nuclear North

<BPidne3WMvSbkbv7nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6181&group=rec.games.trivia#6181

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 07:04:38 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 07:04 UTC

If Pete Gayde has posted his answers on time, he would have scored
12 points on Round 2 and 4 on Round 3.
--
Mark Brader | "In a case like this, where the idiom is old and its wiring
Toronto | probably a mess, we tamper with nothing. There is always

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Oscar's women and the nuclear North

<XnsB15C9F802282stephenwperrygmailco@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6182&group=rec.games.trivia#6182

From: swp@aol.com (swp)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 19:40:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: swp - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 19:40 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

--
Mark Brader | "...very satisfying -- it's like the erosion geology edition
Toronto | of the electromagnetic spectrum chart."
msb@vex.net | --Randall Munroe

https://xkcd.com/2922/

coincidence?

swp

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Oscar's women and the nuclear North

<GbKcnc__d6Kubrv7nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6184&group=rec.games.trivia#6184

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 23:30:59 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 23:30 UTC

Mark Brader:
>> Mark Brader | "...very satisfying -- it's like the erosion geology edition
>> Toronto | of the electromagnetic spectrum chart."
>> msb@vex.net | --Randall Munroe

Stephen Perry:
> https://xkcd.com/2922/
> coincidence?

Yep. And see xkcd 523.
--
Mark Brader | Occam's razor cuts both ways. (I've spent
Toronto | most of my life waiting for a chance to