Presidency: The greased pig in the field game of American politics. -- Ambrose Bierce

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Best Buy, Mozart

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Best Buy, MozartMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Best Buy, MozartDan Tilque
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Best Buy, MozartDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Best Buy, MozartJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Best Buy, MozartErland Sommarskog
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Best Buy, MozartPete Gayde
`- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 7-8 answers: Best Buy, MozartMark Brader

1
QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Best Buy, Mozart

<sLmcnfwpXvAUUbf7nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6189&group=rec.games.trivia#6189

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Best Buy, Mozart
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 21:35:05 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 21:35 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-03-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 7 - Science - A Trip to Best Buy

All questions are inspired by merchandise found at Best Buy.

1. For about $120, you can buy this device that uses a thermal
"drop-on-demand" method. Electrical pulses vaporize the solvent,
which then bubbles up and forces out a series of tiny droplets
in rapid succession. What item are you buying?

2. When a micropohone captures ambient sound and a wave is produced
with the same amplitude but with an inverted phase, the result is
what engineers might call "destructive interference". What do
Apple Airpod Max and other high-end headphone manufacturers
call it? Give the full 3-word name or the usual abreviation.

3. You need to replace your 5-disc Blu-ray Box set of the
"Twilight Saga" series (only $80, but you'll pay any price).
Curiously, Blu-ray is not really blue. The laser diode emits
at 405 nanometers on the electromagnetic spectrum, while blue
is in the 450 to 490 range. What color actually appears to
the human eye at 405 nm?

4. The LG 600 series (only $2,699.00) uses a copper coil to produce
an oscillating magnetic field. This induces an electric
current when you introduce a ferrous metal. The result is
resistive heating. What is an LG 600?

5. Most TVs display at 60 Hz, some now at 120 Hz; but the Hisense
65" UHD Smart TV offers a whopping 144 Hz so the hockey puck
will never blur. What do these values measure?

6. The Dyson HP07 air purifier ($699.99) uses activated carbon
to effectively capture all sorts of airborne matter. While it
appears to absorb these molecules and particles, they actually
get attached to the outside surface of the activated carbon
filter, not absorbed. What is the correct term for this?

7. The Samsung 17.5 cubic ft. refrigerator sells for $1,599.99.
It uses the refrigerant R600a, one of the most environmentally
friendly refrigerants in use. It's a hydrocarbon with formula
C4H10. What is it commonly known as?

8. It's used more than any other desiccant, and it comes with
almost every cell phone you buy. What's in those little packets
that invariably say "do not eat"?

9. It was once cutting-edge, but it lost the TV tech wars. It used
little gas pockets that when ionized became the fourth state
of matter -- hence the name. What was it?

10. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
previous questions. Fnzfhat vf fryyvat guvf cebqhpg sbe $190.75.
Vg'f 85% gb 95% cbylrfgre. Gur erznvaqre pbagnvaf cbylcebclyrar
jnk (sbe yhoevpngvba), svar fbbg (sbe fgeratgu), naq shzrq fvyvpn
(gb cerirag pyhzcvat). Jung'f gur cebqhpg?

* Game 6, Round 8 - History - Mozart

1. The winner of the 1984 best picture Oscar starred Tom Hulse
as Mozart. Name that movie.

2. The serenade "Eine kleine Nachtmusik" is one of Mozart's most
popular works. Which Stephen Sondheim musical has a title that
translates that German phrase?

3. In what city or town was Mozart born?

4. Which Mozart opera, inspired by Freemasonry, was filmed by
Ingmar Bergman in 1975? Answer in English.

5. Which Italian composer was the subject of unjustified suspicions
that he had poisoned Mozart?

6. Mozart is buried in an unmarked grave in which city or town?

7. Which work, left unfinished at Mozart's death, was completed
the following year by Franz Süssmayr?

8. Give any year in which Wolfgang Mozart was alive.

9. In 1862 an attempt was made to number Mozart's works
number is preceded by the same letter of the alphabet, the
initial of the creator of the catalogue. What is that letter?

10. Some of Mozart's symphonies have names. One of them is named
for which planet?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "He seems unable to win without the added
msb@vex.net thrill of changing sides." -- Chess

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Best Buy, Mozart

<v0eme5$38i3a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6190&group=rec.games.trivia#6190

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Best Buy, Mozart
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:45:22 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 22:45 UTC

On 4/25/24 14:35, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Science - A Trip to Best Buy
>
> All questions are inspired by merchandise found at Best Buy.
>
> 1. For about $120, you can buy this device that uses a thermal
> "drop-on-demand" method. Electrical pulses vaporize the solvent,
> which then bubbles up and forces out a series of tiny droplets
> in rapid succession. What item are you buying?

inkjet printer

> 2. When a micropohone captures ambient sound and a wave is produced
> with the same amplitude but with an inverted phase, the result is
> what engineers might call "destructive interference". What do
> Apple Airpod Max and other high-end headphone manufacturers
> call it? Give the full 3-word name or the usual abreviation.

noise cancelling headphones

> 3. You need to replace your 5-disc Blu-ray Box set of the
> "Twilight Saga" series (only $80, but you'll pay any price).
> Curiously, Blu-ray is not really blue. The laser diode emits
> at 405 nanometers on the electromagnetic spectrum, while blue
> is in the 450 to 490 range. What color actually appears to
> the human eye at 405 nm?

violet

> 4. The LG 600 series (only $2,699.00) uses a copper coil to produce
> an oscillating magnetic field. This induces an electric
> current when you introduce a ferrous metal. The result is
> resistive heating. What is an LG 600?

induction stove

> 5. Most TVs display at 60 Hz, some now at 120 Hz; but the Hisense
> 65" UHD Smart TV offers a whopping 144 Hz so the hockey puck
> will never blur. What do these values measure?

freqency of screen updates

> 6. The Dyson HP07 air purifier ($699.99) uses activated carbon
> to effectively capture all sorts of airborne matter. While it
> appears to absorb these molecules and particles, they actually
> get attached to the outside surface of the activated carbon
> filter, not absorbed. What is the correct term for this?
>
> 7. The Samsung 17.5 cubic ft. refrigerator sells for $1,599.99.
> It uses the refrigerant R600a, one of the most environmentally
> friendly refrigerants in use. It's a hydrocarbon with formula
> C4H10. What is it commonly known as?

butane

> 8. It's used more than any other desiccant, and it comes with
> almost every cell phone you buy. What's in those little packets
> that invariably say "do not eat"?

silica

> 9. It was once cutting-edge, but it lost the TV tech wars. It used
> little gas pockets that when ionized became the fourth state
> of matter -- hence the name. What was it?

plasma

> 10. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous questions. Fnzfhat vf fryyvat guvf cebqhpg sbe $190.75.
> Vg'f 85% gb 95% cbylrfgre. Gur erznvaqre pbagnvaf cbylcebclyrar
> jnk (sbe yhoevpngvba), svar fbbg (sbe fgeratgu), naq shzrq fvyvpn
> (gb cerirag pyhzcvat). Jung'f gur cebqhpg?
>

> * Game 6, Round 8 - History - Mozart
>
> 1. The winner of the 1984 best picture Oscar starred Tom Hulse
> as Mozart. Name that movie.
>
> 2. The serenade "Eine kleine Nachtmusik" is one of Mozart's most
> popular works. Which Stephen Sondheim musical has a title that
> translates that German phrase?

A Littie Night Music

> 3. In what city or town was Mozart born?

Salzburg

> 4. Which Mozart opera, inspired by Freemasonry, was filmed by
> Ingmar Bergman in 1975? Answer in English.
>
> 5. Which Italian composer was the subject of unjustified suspicions
> that he had poisoned Mozart?
>
> 6. Mozart is buried in an unmarked grave in which city or town?

Vienna

> 7. Which work, left unfinished at Mozart's death, was completed
> the following year by Franz Süssmayr?
>
> 8. Give any year in which Wolfgang Mozart was alive.

1765

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Best Buy, Mozart

<v0epib$ek$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6191&group=rec.games.trivia#6191

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 23:38:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 23:38 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Science - A Trip to Best Buy

> 1. For about $120, you can buy this device that uses a thermal
> "drop-on-demand" method. Electrical pulses vaporize the solvent,
> which then bubbles up and forces out a series of tiny droplets
> in rapid succession. What item are you buying?

3D printer

> 3. You need to replace your 5-disc Blu-ray Box set of the
> "Twilight Saga" series (only $80, but you'll pay any price).
> Curiously, Blu-ray is not really blue. The laser diode emits
> at 405 nanometers on the electromagnetic spectrum, while blue
> is in the 450 to 490 range. What color actually appears to
> the human eye at 405 nm?

green

> 4. The LG 600 series (only $2,699.00) uses a copper coil to produce
> an oscillating magnetic field. This induces an electric
> current when you introduce a ferrous metal. The result is
> resistive heating. What is an LG 600?

induction stove

> 5. Most TVs display at 60 Hz, some now at 120 Hz; but the Hisense
> 65" UHD Smart TV offers a whopping 144 Hz so the hockey puck
> will never blur. What do these values measure?

refresh frequency

> 8. It's used more than any other desiccant, and it comes with
> almost every cell phone you buy. What's in those little packets
> that invariably say "do not eat"?

silica gel

> 9. It was once cutting-edge, but it lost the TV tech wars. It used
> little gas pockets that when ionized became the fourth state
> of matter -- hence the name. What was it?

plasma display

> * Game 6, Round 8 - History - Mozart

> 1. The winner of the 1984 best picture Oscar starred Tom Hulse
> as Mozart. Name that movie.

Amadeus

> 2. The serenade "Eine kleine Nachtmusik" is one of Mozart's most
> popular works. Which Stephen Sondheim musical has a title that
> translates that German phrase?

A Little Night Music

> 3. In what city or town was Mozart born?

Salzburg

> 4. Which Mozart opera, inspired by Freemasonry, was filmed by
> Ingmar Bergman in 1975? Answer in English.

The Magic Flute

> 5. Which Italian composer was the subject of unjustified suspicions
> that he had poisoned Mozart?

Salieri

> 6. Mozart is buried in an unmarked grave in which city or town?

Vienna

> 8. Give any year in which Wolfgang Mozart was alive.

1780

> 9. In 1862 an attempt was made to number Mozart's works
> number is preceded by the same letter of the alphabet, the
> initial of the creator of the catalogue. What is that letter?

> 10. Some of Mozart's symphonies have names. One of them is named
> for which planet?

Venus; Mars

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Best Buy, Mozart

<v0f1fb$3eb73$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6192&group=rec.games.trivia#6192

From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 20:53:47 -0500
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 01:53 UTC

On 4/25/2024 4:35 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Science - A Trip to Best Buy
>
> All questions are inspired by merchandise found at Best Buy.
>
> 1. For about $120, you can buy this device that uses a thermal
> "drop-on-demand" method. Electrical pulses vaporize the solvent,
> which then bubbles up and forces out a series of tiny droplets
> in rapid succession. What item are you buying?

humidifier

> 3. You need to replace your 5-disc Blu-ray Box set of the
> "Twilight Saga" series (only $80, but you'll pay any price).
> Curiously, Blu-ray is not really blue. The laser diode emits
> at 405 nanometers on the electromagnetic spectrum, while blue
> is in the 450 to 490 range. What color actually appears to
> the human eye at 405 nm?
green

> 5. Most TVs display at 60 Hz, some now at 120 Hz; but the Hisense
> 65" UHD Smart TV offers a whopping 144 Hz so the hockey puck
> will never blur. What do these values measure?

times the screen refreshes per second

> 8. It's used more than any other desiccant, and it comes with
> almost every cell phone you buy. What's in those little packets
> that invariably say "do not eat"?

silica

> 9. It was once cutting-edge, but it lost the TV tech wars. It used
> little gas pockets that when ionized became the fourth state
> of matter -- hence the name. What was it?

plasma TV

> * Game 6, Round 8 - History - Mozart
>
> 1. The winner of the 1984 best picture Oscar starred Tom Hulse
> as Mozart. Name that movie.

"Amadeus"

> 2. The serenade "Eine kleine Nachtmusik" is one of Mozart's most
> popular works. Which Stephen Sondheim musical has a title that
> translates that German phrase?

"A Little Night Music"

> 3. In what city or town was Mozart born?

Salzburg

> 4. Which Mozart opera, inspired by Freemasonry, was filmed by
> Ingmar Bergman in 1975? Answer in English.

"The Magic Flute"

> 5. Which Italian composer was the subject of unjustified suspicions
> that he had poisoned Mozart?

Salieri

> 6. Mozart is buried in an unmarked grave in which city or town?

Vienna

> 8. Give any year in which Wolfgang Mozart was alive.

1780

> 9. In 1862 an attempt was made to number Mozart's works
> number is preceded by the same letter of the alphabet, the
> initial of the creator of the catalogue. What is that letter?

> 10. Some of Mozart's symphonies have names. One of them is named
> for which planet?

Jupiter

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Best Buy, Mozart

<XnsB1609939F7C07Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6193&group=rec.games.trivia#6193

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 15:03:45 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 13:03 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 6, Round 7 - Science - A Trip to Best Buy
>
> 2. When a micropohone captures ambient sound and a wave is produced
> with the same amplitude but with an inverted phase, the result is
> what engineers might call "destructive interference". What do
> Apple Airpod Max and other high-end headphone manufacturers
> call it? Give the full 3-word name or the usual abreviation.

Noise-cancelling headphones
> 3. You need to replace your 5-disc Blu-ray Box set of the
> "Twilight Saga" series (only $80, but you'll pay any price).
> Curiously, Blu-ray is not really blue. The laser diode emits
> at 405 nanometers on the electromagnetic spectrum, while blue
> is in the 450 to 490 range. What color actually appears to
> the human eye at 405 nm?

Violet

> 4. The LG 600 series (only $2,699.00) uses a copper coil to produce
> an oscillating magnetic field. This induces an electric
> current when you introduce a ferrous metal. The result is
> resistive heating. What is an LG 600?

Microwave oven
> 5. Most TVs display at 60 Hz, some now at 120 Hz; but the Hisense
> 65" UHD Smart TV offers a whopping 144 Hz so the hockey puck
> will never blur. What do these values measure?

How often the screen is refreshed.
> 7. The Samsung 17.5 cubic ft. refrigerator sells for $1,599.99.
> It uses the refrigerant R600a, one of the most environmentally
> friendly refrigerants in use. It's a hydrocarbon with formula
> C4H10. What is it commonly known as?

Buthane
> 8. It's used more than any other desiccant, and it comes with
> almost every cell phone you buy. What's in those little packets
> that invariably say "do not eat"?

Silica
> 9. It was once cutting-edge, but it lost the TV tech wars. It used
> little gas pockets that when ionized became the fourth state
> of matter -- hence the name. What was it?

Plasma
> * Game 6, Round 8 - History - Mozart
>
> 1. The winner of the 1984 best picture Oscar starred Tom Hulse
> as Mozart. Name that movie.

Amadeus
> 2. The serenade "Eine kleine Nachtmusik" is one of Mozart's most
> popular works. Which Stephen Sondheim musical has a title that
> translates that German phrase?

A Small Night Music
> 3. In what city or town was Mozart born?

Salzburg

> 5. Which Italian composer was the subject of unjustified suspicions
> that he had poisoned Mozart?

Salieri
> 6. Mozart is buried in an unmarked grave in which city or town?

Vienna

> 8. Give any year in which Wolfgang Mozart was alive.

1782
> 9. In 1862 an attempt was made to number Mozart's works
> number is preceded by the same letter of the alphabet, the
> initial of the creator of the catalogue. What is that letter?

> 10. Some of Mozart's symphonies have names. One of them is named
> for which planet?

Jupiter

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Best Buy, Mozart

<v0jrki$jf1o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6194&group=rec.games.trivia#6194

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 16:44:50 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 21:44 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-03-11,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
> of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Science - A Trip to Best Buy
>
> All questions are inspired by merchandise found at Best Buy.
>
> 1. For about $120, you can buy this device that uses a thermal
> "drop-on-demand" method. Electrical pulses vaporize the solvent,
> which then bubbles up and forces out a series of tiny droplets
> in rapid succession. What item are you buying?
>
> 2. When a micropohone captures ambient sound and a wave is produced
> with the same amplitude but with an inverted phase, the result is
> what engineers might call "destructive interference". What do
> Apple Airpod Max and other high-end headphone manufacturers
> call it? Give the full 3-word name or the usual abreviation.

Noise cancelling technology

> 3. You need to replace your 5-disc Blu-ray Box set of the
> "Twilight Saga" series (only $80, but you'll pay any price).
> Curiously, Blu-ray is not really blue. The laser diode emits
> at 405 nanometers on the electromagnetic spectrum, while blue
> is in the 450 to 490 range. What color actually appears to
> the human eye at 405 nm?

Red

> 4. The LG 600 series (only $2,699.00) uses a copper coil to produce
> an oscillating magnetic field. This induces an electric
> current when you introduce a ferrous metal. The result is
> resistive heating. What is an LG 600?

Hot plate

> 5. Most TVs display at 60 Hz, some now at 120 Hz; but the Hisense
> 65" UHD Smart TV offers a whopping 144 Hz so the hockey puck
> will never blur. What do these values measure?

Refresh rate

> 6. The Dyson HP07 air purifier ($699.99) uses activated carbon
> to effectively capture all sorts of airborne matter. While it
> appears to absorb these molecules and particles, they actually
> get attached to the outside surface of the activated carbon
> filter, not absorbed. What is the correct term for this?
>
> 7. The Samsung 17.5 cubic ft. refrigerator sells for $1,599.99.
> It uses the refrigerant R600a, one of the most environmentally
> friendly refrigerants in use. It's a hydrocarbon with formula
> C4H10. What is it commonly known as?
>
> 8. It's used more than any other desiccant, and it comes with
> almost every cell phone you buy. What's in those little packets
> that invariably say "do not eat"?
>
> 9. It was once cutting-edge, but it lost the TV tech wars. It used
> little gas pockets that when ionized became the fourth state
> of matter -- hence the name. What was it?

Plasma screen HDTV

> 10. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous questions. Fnzfhat vf fryyvat guvf cebqhpg sbe $190.75.
> Vg'f 85% gb 95% cbylrfgre. Gur erznvaqre pbagnvaf cbylcebclyrar
> jnk (sbe yhoevpngvba), svar fbbg (sbe fgeratgu), naq shzrq fvyvpn
> (gb cerirag pyhzcvat). Jung'f gur cebqhpg?
>

> * Game 6, Round 8 - History - Mozart
>
> 1. The winner of the 1984 best picture Oscar starred Tom Hulse
> as Mozart. Name that movie.

Amadeus

> 2. The serenade "Eine kleine Nachtmusik" is one of Mozart's most
> popular works. Which Stephen Sondheim musical has a title that
> translates that German phrase?

A Little Night Music

> 3. In what city or town was Mozart born?

Salzburg

> 4. Which Mozart opera, inspired by Freemasonry, was filmed by
> Ingmar Bergman in 1975? Answer in English.

The Magic Flute

> 5. Which Italian composer was the subject of unjustified suspicions
> that he had poisoned Mozart?

Salieri

> 6. Mozart is buried in an unmarked grave in which city or town?

Vienna

> 7. Which work, left unfinished at Mozart's death, was completed
> the following year by Franz Süssmayr?

Requiem

> 8. Give any year in which Wolfgang Mozart was alive.

1756

> 9. In 1862 an attempt was made to number Mozart's works
> number is preceded by the same letter of the alphabet, the
> initial of the creator of the catalogue. What is that letter?

> 10. Some of Mozart's symphonies have names. One of them is named
> for which planet?

Jupiter

Pete Gayde

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 7-8 answers: Best Buy, Mozart

<qs6cna0U2puFK7P7nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6195&group=rec.games.trivia#6195

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 7-8 answers: Best Buy, Mozart
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 20:48:24 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 20:48 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-03-11,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Science - A Trip to Best Buy

> All questions are inspired by merchandise found at Best Buy.

> 1. For about $120, you can buy this device that uses a thermal
> "drop-on-demand" method. Electrical pulses vaporize the solvent,
> which then bubbles up and forces out a series of tiny droplets
> in rapid succession. What item are you buying?

Inkjet (or bubble) printer. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 2. When a micropohone captures ambient sound and a wave is produced
> with the same amplitude but with an inverted phase, the result is
> what engineers might call "destructive interference". What do
> Apple Airpod Max and other high-end headphone manufacturers
> call it? Give the full 3-word name or the usual abreviation.

Active Noise Cancellation or Control (ANC). I decided to accept
other 3-word references to noise cancellation as almost correct.
So, 3 for Dan Tilque, Erland, and Pete.

> 3. You need to replace your 5-disc Blu-ray Box set of the
> "Twilight Saga" series (only $80, but you'll pay any price).
> Curiously, Blu-ray is not really blue. The laser diode emits
> at 405 nanometers on the electromagnetic spectrum, while blue
> is in the 450 to 490 range. What color actually appears to
> the human eye at 405 nm?

Violet. 4 for Dan Tilque and Erland.

> 4. The LG 600 series (only $2,699.00) uses a copper coil to produce
> an oscillating magnetic field. This induces an electric
> current when you introduce a ferrous metal. The result is
> resistive heating. What is an LG 600?

Induction range (or oven). 4 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum.

> 5. Most TVs display at 60 Hz, some now at 120 Hz; but the Hisense
> 65" UHD Smart TV offers a whopping 144 Hz so the hockey puck
> will never blur. What do these values measure?

Frame rate (or refresh rate or scanning rate). 4 for everyone --
Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> 6. The Dyson HP07 air purifier ($699.99) uses activated carbon
> to effectively capture all sorts of airborne matter. While it
> appears to absorb these molecules and particles, they actually
> get attached to the outside surface of the activated carbon
> filter, not absorbed. What is the correct term for this?

Adsorption.

> 7. The Samsung 17.5 cubic ft. refrigerator sells for $1,599.99.
> It uses the refrigerant R600a, one of the most environmentally
> friendly refrigerants in use. It's a hydrocarbon with formula
> C4H10. What is it commonly known as?

Isobutane. (Butane was acceptable). 4 for Dan Tilque and Erland.

> 8. It's used more than any other desiccant, and it comes with
> almost every cell phone you buy. What's in those little packets
> that invariably say "do not eat"?

Silica (silicon dioxide) gel. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Erland.

> 9. It was once cutting-edge, but it lost the TV tech wars. It used
> little gas pockets that when ionized became the fourth state
> of matter -- hence the name. What was it?

Plasma TV. 4 for everyone.

> 10. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous questions. Samsung is selling this product for $190.75.
> It's 85% to 95% polyester. The remainder contains polypropylene
> wax (for lubrication), fine soot (for strength), and fumed silica
> (to prevent clumping). What's the product?

Toner.

> * Game 6, Round 8 - History - Mozart

> 1. The winner of the 1984 best picture Oscar starred Tom Hulse
> as Mozart. Name that movie.

"Amadeus". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> 2. The serenade "Eine kleine Nachtmusik" is one of Mozart's most
> popular works. Which Stephen Sondheim musical has a title that
> translates that German phrase?

"A Little Night Music". 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.
3 for Erland.

> 3. In what city or town was Mozart born?

Salzburg (Austria). 4 for everyone.

> 4. Which Mozart opera, inspired by Freemasonry, was filmed by
> Ingmar Bergman in 1975? Answer in English.

"The Magic Flute". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 5. Which Italian composer was the subject of unjustified suspicions
> that he had poisoned Mozart?

Antonio Salieri. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> 6. Mozart is buried in an unmarked grave in which city or town?

Vienna. 4 for everyone.

> 7. Which work, left unfinished at Mozart's death, was completed
> the following year by Franz Süssmayr?

Requiem. 4 for Pete.

> 8. Give any year in which Wolfgang Mozart was alive.

1756-91. 4 for everyone.

> 9. In 1862 an attempt was made to number Mozart's works
> number is preceded by the same letter of the alphabet, the
> initial of the creator of the catalogue. What is that letter?

K. (Ludwig Köchel.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> 10. Some of Mozart's symphonies have names. One of them is named
> for which planet?

Jupiter. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Can Lit Spo Sci His FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 40 8 32 8 12 36 120
Pete Gayde -- -- 27 12 11 40 90
Dan Blum -- -- 36 4 16 32 88
Dan Tilque 0 16 8 4 31 16 71
Stephen Perry -- -- 36 28 -- -- 64
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 0 4 23 31 58

--
Mark Brader | "It is, in fact, a very good rule to be especially suspicious
Toronto | of work that says what you want to hear..."