Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 09:12:50 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: my interest in Etymology (and Latin roots)
From: henhanna@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 17:12 UTC

On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 2:24:55 AM UTC-8, Ed Cryer wrote:
> henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> O miserrimum Ernestum! Quondam heroa hominum, nunc calcibus insultatum!
> >
> > i can't tell if (Calc in) Calcium is related to [Recalcitrant, inculcate] (mentioned below)
> >
> > ______________________________
> >
> > == a short description of my interest in Etymology (and Latin roots) ==
> >

> > i remember a jump in my interest in Etymology
> > (about 30 years ago) when a girl i met on an airplane told me that
> > French has Difficile and Facile
> > but English only has Difficult (and no Ficult)
> >
> > (or maybe she said something deeper about etymologies of the French words.)
> >

> > shortly after, i learned that Facile is not related to Face (as i always assumed) but to Fact
> >

> > ____________________
> >
> > then i learned about Caulk (glue), calque, recalcitrant, (culture?), inculcate:

> > ____________________
> >

> > then 12 (?) years ago i read this:
> >
> > https://www.jstor.org/stable/25476795
> >
> > "Joyce and Skeat" by Stephen Whittaker
> > James Joyce Quarterly
> > Vol. 24, No. 2 (Winter, 1987), pp. 177-192 (16 pages)
> Language and how it evolves
>
> The Austrian-British philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein used the term
> "Sprachspiele" (language games). Language doesn't evolve linearly, far
> from it; his major example is the word "game" which has no cover-all
> meaning. This fact is fully recognised in modern dictionaries wherein
> many words' meanings are listed..1. 2. 3. etc.
> This is quite apart from the frequent use of metaphor (which even the
> Greeks knew about), and the sometimes pure misunderstandings that create
> words. My favourite example of the latter is the etymology of "kangaroo".
> My favourite example in Latin is "paganus" (villager for Cicero), used
> as an abusive term by early Christians until it became almost
> respectable, with a meaning completely different from the one Cicero knew..
>
> Shakespeare provides a good example of word-coining. He coined (or used
> recent coinings of) many, mostly from Latin. English has a central core
> of Teutonic words, wrapped around with Romance terms for many abstract
> concepts.
>
> Incidentally, Latin has two "calx", heel and pebble; and "inculcare" had
> already evolved in classical Latin itself.
>
> Ed

thakns! and thanks!!! for all the tidbits

>>> Why are you interested in etymologies ?

3 basic reasons why I'm interested in Etymologies --- What are your reasons ?

-----1----- Knowing (PIE) Etymologies help me with learning (new and
old) words in English, French, German, ... because there's going to
less to remember or memorize.

-----2----- it's SO MUCH _fun_ in itself... The moment of
discovery is an AHA moment... --- in an instant , Two unrelated
pieces of ling. knowledge become connected....

---------- it's as if... discovering that TWO people
i 've known for
many years were Cousins, ----- and i see the
Resemblance,