Do nothing unless you must, and when you must act -- hesitate.

interests / alt.language.latin / Re: Today's best-sellers

SubjectAuthor
* Today's best-sellershenh...@gmail.com
`* Today's best-sellersEd Cryer
 `* Today's best-sellershenh...@gmail.com
  `- Today's best-sellersEd Cryer

1
Re: Today's best-sellers

<a7cc1ddf-3179-4519-8576-6fcc4cbd85ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=654&group=alt.language.latin#654

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 10:23:43 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Today's best-sellers
From: henhanna@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 18:23 UTC

On Friday, January 20, 2023 at 12:48:05 PM UTC-8, Ed Cryer wrote:
> If you scan by Google for "best books" by country, you get the full
> flavour of contemporary literary greats.

> There are constantly recurring themes throughout Europe, North America
> and Asia.

> Number one; women writers rewriting history; behind every great man
> stands a woman.

Very noticeable in PBS science shows....

(it started a few decades ago with Rosanlind Franklin ?)
---------- back then, it was novel and refreshing

Einstein's wife

Marie-Anne Pierrette Paulze Lavoisier was a French chemist and noblewoman.

> Number two; books about the history of black slavery and subsequent
> maltreatment; and run-aways all the way up to Canada.
> Number three; the usual self-liberation from parental put-down and
> peer-pressure taunts.
>
> Ed
>
> Libri qui his temporibus saepissime emuntur (gratias Google) nostros
> mores manifestant et scriptores illustres faciunt.
> Per enimvero Europam et Americam et Asiam quaedam themata constanter
> praevalent.
> Primum; feminae quae historiam novissimam scribunt; nam viri omnes de
> femina meliore semper dependent.
> Secundum; servi nigri ex Africa capti, in regiones septentionales vecti,
> male habiti, tum tandem usque ad Canadam perfugerunt.
> Tertium; usitatum genus liberorum de parentibus contemporaneisque
> effugium quaerentium improbis et irritis.
>
> Edus

Re: Today's best-sellers

<tr3rri$2bhfs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=656&group=alt.language.latin#656

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 19:07:33 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 19:07 UTC

henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, January 20, 2023 at 12:48:05 PM UTC-8, Ed Cryer wrote:
>> If you scan by Google for "best books" by country, you get the full
>> flavour of contemporary literary greats.
>
>> There are constantly recurring themes throughout Europe, North America
>> and Asia.
>
>> Number one; women writers rewriting history; behind every great man
>> stands a woman.
>

> Very noticeable in PBS science shows....
>
> (it started a few decades ago with Rosanlind Franklin ?)
> ---------- back then, it was novel and refreshing
>

> Einstein's wife
>
> Marie-Anne Pierrette Paulze Lavoisier was a French chemist and noblewoman.
>

>> Number two; books about the history of black slavery and subsequent
>> maltreatment; and run-aways all the way up to Canada.
>> Number three; the usual self-liberation from parental put-down and
>> peer-pressure taunts.
>>
>> Ed
>>
>> Libri qui his temporibus saepissime emuntur (gratias Google) nostros
>> mores manifestant et scriptores illustres faciunt.
>> Per enimvero Europam et Americam et Asiam quaedam themata constanter
>> praevalent.
>> Primum; feminae quae historiam novissimam scribunt; nam viri omnes de
>> femina meliore semper dependent.
>> Secundum; servi nigri ex Africa capti, in regiones septentionales vecti,
>> male habiti, tum tandem usque ad Canadam perfugerunt.
>> Tertium; usitatum genus liberorum de parentibus contemporaneisque
>> effugium quaerentium improbis et irritis.
>>
>> Edus

I thought the limit had been reached with "Copying Beethoven"
https://youtu.be/A2E_4Rw3k3Y

Ed

Re: Today's best-sellers

<c4fed4d3-9dda-4eb2-a0b7-8c003c295dd5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=657&group=alt.language.latin#657

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 12:39:06 -0800 (PST)
From: henhanna@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 20:39 UTC

On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 11:08:36 AM UTC-8, Ed Cryer wrote:
> henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Friday, January 20, 2023 at 12:48:05 PM UTC-8, Ed Cryer wrote:
> >> If you scan by Google for "best books" by country, you get the full
> >> flavour of contemporary literary greats.
> >
> >> There are constantly recurring themes throughout Europe, North America
> >> and Asia.
> >
> >> Number one; women writers rewriting history; behind every great man
> >> stands a woman.
> >

> > Very noticeable in PBS science shows....
> >
> > (it started a few decades ago with Rosanlind Franklin ?)
> > ---------- back then, it was novel and refreshing
> >

> > Einstein's wife
> >
> > Marie-Anne Pierrette Paulze Lavoisier was a French chemist and noblewoman.
> >

> >> Number two; books about the history of black slavery and subsequent
> >> maltreatment; and run-aways all the way up to Canada.
> >> Number three; the usual self-liberation from parental put-down and
> >> peer-pressure taunts.
> >>
> >> Ed
> >>
> >> Libri qui his temporibus saepissime emuntur (gratias Google) nostros
> >> mores manifestant et scriptores illustres faciunt.
> >> Per enimvero Europam et Americam et Asiam quaedam themata constanter
> >> praevalent.
> >> Primum; feminae quae historiam novissimam scribunt; nam viri omnes de
> >> femina meliore semper dependent.
> >> Secundum; servi nigri ex Africa capti, in regiones septentionales vecti,
> >> male habiti, tum tandem usque ad Canadam perfugerunt.
> >> Tertium; usitatum genus liberorum de parentibus contemporaneisque
> >> effugium quaerentium improbis et irritis.
> >>
> >> Edus

> I thought the limit had been reached with "Copying Beethoven"
> https://youtu.be/A2E_4Rw3k3Y
>
> Ed

i thought it was a good movie.

my 1st exposure to this type of film (is there a generic name for it?) was...

this 1996 film.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/MaryReilly

Did you ever wonder what [The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde] would be like if Jekyll, Hyde or both of them had a woman in their lives?

Mary Reilly tells the story of an Irish maid in Henry Jekyll's household, who becomes the confidant and love interest of Jekyll, the unwilling accomplice and object of lust for Edward Hyde and the holder of the suspension of disbelief for the audience, since by now the doctor's dark secret is common knowledge.

Re: Today's best-sellers

<tr9ab3$3eebg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=668&group=alt.language.latin#668

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 20:46:15 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 20:46 UTC

henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 11:08:36 AM UTC-8, Ed Cryer wrote:
>> henh...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Very noticeable in PBS science shows....
>>>
>>> (it started a few decades ago with Rosanlind Franklin ?)
>>> ---------- back then, it was novel and refreshing
>>>

>>> Einstein's wife
>>>
>>> Marie-Anne Pierrette Paulze Lavoisier was a French chemist and noblewoman.

>> I thought the limit had been reached with "Copying Beethoven"
>> https://youtu.be/A2E_4Rw3k3Y
>>
>> Ed
>

> i thought it was a good movie.

I just watched that again. I love it, but more for the picture of
Beethoven than any womens lib stuff.

I think that's the best portrayal of B I've ever seen.

Ed