History repeats itself only if one does not listen the first time.

interests / soc.genealogy.medieval / Re: Thomas St John of Charing; have I found him?

SubjectAuthor
* Thomas St John of Charing; have I found him?Hickory
`* Thomas St John of Charing; have I found him?Colin Piper
 +- Thomas St John of Charing; have I found him?Hikaru Kitabayashi
 `* Thomas St John of Charing; have I found him?Hikaru Kitabayashi
  `* Thomas St John of Charing; have I found him?Colin Piper
   `* Thomas St John of Charing; have I found him?Hickory
    `* Edward St. John of Barlavington [was Re: Thomas St John of Charing;mk
     `* Edward St. John of Barlavington [was Re: Thomas St John ofWill Johnson
      `- Edward St. John of Barlavington [was Re: Thomas St John ofmk

1
Re: Thomas St John of Charing; have I found him?

<840a293f-9db8-4c93-b176-c6d811691855n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6992&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#6992

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 07:25:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Thomas St John of Charing; have I found him?
From: hkitabayashi@gmail.com (Hickory)
 by: Hickory - Sun, 14 May 2023 14:25 UTC

On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 12:04:35 AM UTC+9, Colin Piper wrote:
> [...]
> The St John Project web site claims that Alexander was the youngest son of Sir John de St John, first baron St John of Lageham (c1255 – bef 7/1316). Although called baron of Lageham, in Surrey, they lived in Stanton St John, Oxfordshire. A major extra landholding in Swallowfield came by Roger St John’s (John’s father) marriage to a Despenser heir.
> Many primary records are included within the St John Project web site and I have been very selective in including the following. These records have to tie a specific St John to a specific area.
> One outstanding query relates to the wife shown for the first baron shown as Beatrix Broye, who I thought was married to a John de St John (c 1267 -aft 1346) of the Fonmon/Faumont line. Stirnet shows the wife of the first baron as Margaret, and Geni as Maud FitzNigel.
> There are two references confirming that John de St John of Lageham held Instow (near Barnstaple, Devon)
> 1296 held the fee of Instow. J Brownbill art cit 356 Cardiff Records Vol 1 (Cardiff 1898) 264
> 1316 held the fee of Instow. Inquisitions and Assessments related to Feudal Aids 1284-1431 Vol (London 1899), 372, 375
> Children as follows;
> • John de St John, 2nd baron. C1276 (Lageham) died 16/6/1332
> • William de St John. (c1278 – c 1353)
> • Nicholas of Glympton, (c 1279 -1362)
> • Thomas St John. (c1280 – c 1360) Died in Lageham
> • Henry St John (c 1283- 1309). Cleric of Doddicombsleigh, Devon
> • Laurence St John, ( c1284 -aft 1308) Hellestone, Devon
> • Edward St John (c 1285- aft 1312) Tawstock, Devon
> • Alexander St John (c 1286 -aft 1351), born Stanton St John. Templar?, died Instow
> Alexander St John references
> • 1307. Alexander son of John of Staunton (Stanton?) to grant land in Eversholt to the Abbot and convent of Woburn, Beds .
> • 1316 Inherited Instow from his father?
> • 1318 The Register of Bishop Grandisson (Instow). Alexander de Sancto Johanne presents to Instow
> • 1333 Tawstock (near Barnstaple)“Alexander de Sancto Johanne, Knight Templar. Most curious of all, just outside Barnstaple lies a chapel of St John, very near to the interestingly named village of Templeton, the parish records of which list one Alexander de Sancto Johanne as being a regular attendee at the chapel and describes him as a Knight Templar, which is odd because the records are dated 1333, 20 years after the Templars were supposed to have been forced to leave the order or be imprisoned”.
> • 2/11/1339 Alexander St John was granted East Luccombe on his marriage to Elizabeth Luccombe, and his son Oliver’s marriage to her daughter.
> • 1351 The register of Bishop Grandisson (for Instow). This is far later than the dates for the John/Alexander St John of Fonmon.

Dear Mr Piper,
Thanks to a pdf of the original UK National Archive complaint by Richard Cotton, the husband of Joan St. John and of Alice Savage, against a certain Alice Eyton for not returning presents he had given her as a quid pro quo for a promise of marriage, I am in a position to give approximates of Richard's two marriages. The dating on the back side of the document would indicate that the complaint was in London sometime in November 1514, a date consistent with other datable documents having their origin in the same bundle of chancery cases dealt with by Archbishop Warham of Canterbury. Richard's son Nicholas can be dated as having been born no later than 1512 but more probably at a date of around 1507 is more likely. Richard has at least one son named Humphrey for whom a birth year of no later than 1506 can inferred. Richard's son John is sometimes mentioned as the oldest son but due to the very late dates his children were born is unlikely to have been born much before 1505. There is another presumed son Francis mentioned in a church census of around 1532. In the same census, Humphrey Cotton is mentioned for Hampstall Ridware twice, once as a child of Richard and once as an independent householder. It is generally assumed that these are the same individual, but Burton's family tree dating to the early 17th century shows two, an older Humphrey (Joan St. John's son) who is given no wife and a younger one (Alice Savage's) who is. Various land dealings involving Richard and Humphrey make it likely that the older Humphrey was the only Humphrey, but still do not make it impossible that a younger one existed, too. If the younger one did exist, though, the before-mentioned land dealings make it virtually impossible for him to have been born later than the very beginning of 1516. On the balance, it would seem to me that Richard Cotton and Joan St. John were both approaching 30 when they married and seem to have had at least three sons in relatively quick order. Francis (spelled Frances, but not necessarily indicating a female in the early 16th century) I think is just as likely to have been a son of Joan St. John as of Alice Savage. The reason for thinking that this is a male rather than a female is because of male Francis Cottons appearing in the same part of Staffordshire later in the 16th century for whom DNA testing of possible descendants would indicate a common descent with Humphrey and John's descendants. Nevertheless, it is not impossible for Frances to have been a daughter, but again of which woman is not clear. For onomastic reasons, Richard's three daughters Maude, Ellen, and Dorothy are all likely to have been Alice's daughters. Concerning Maude, in particular, there is absolutely no doubt, as both of the two early 17th century pedigree's show her as Alice's daughter by Richard. Concerning Joan St. John, it is now clear that she died by mid-1514, and it would seem that Richard was looking for a wife who would take care of his children for. Their ages could have been as young as two years of age for the youngest to no more than ten years of age for the oldest. My estimated birth year for Alice is around 1490, making her at the time of her marriage already past suitable marriage age. Richard Cotton would have been born around 1475, thus contemporary with his first wife, but not his second. I will continue to do more research. I have uncovered several leads which once I can examine pdf's of the original documents will allow me to clarify things further. Incidentally, both of Richard's wives have a very interesting ancestry. On Joan's side, her mother Alice Langham had Sir John Hawkwood (a late 14th century English national military hero) as an ancestor. On Alice's side, her great grandmother was the sister of the first earl of Derby and thus the sister-in-law of Margaret Beaufort, the mother of Henry VII by Edmund Tudor, the earl of Richmond.
Best wishes,
Hikaru

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Thomas St John of Charing; have I found him?

<a97da696-aa05-42cf-9664-899c0043550en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6994&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#6994

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 04:57:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: colinjjpiper@gmail.com (Colin Piper)
 by: Colin Piper - Mon, 22 May 2023 11:57 UTC

On Sunday, 14 May 2023 at 15:25:05 UTC+1, Hickory wrote:
> [...]
> Thanks to a pdf of the original UK National Archive complaint by Richard Cotton, the husband of Joan St. John and of Alice Savage, against a certain Alice Eyton for not returning presents he had given her as a quid pro quo for a promise of marriage, I am in a position to give approximates of Richard's two marriages. The dating on the back side of the document would indicate that the complaint was in London sometime in November 1514, a date consistent with other datable documents having their origin in the same bundle of chancery cases dealt with by Archbishop Warham of Canterbury. Richard's son Nicholas can be dated as having been born no later than 1512 but more probably at a date of around 1507 is more likely. Richard has at least one son named Humphrey for whom a birth year of no later than 1506 can inferred. Richard's son John is sometimes mentioned as the oldest son but due to the very late dates his children were born is unlikely to have been born much before 1505. There is another presumed son Francis mentioned in a church census of around 1532. In the same census, Humphrey Cotton is mentioned for Hampstall Ridware twice, once as a child of Richard and once as an independent householder. It is generally assumed that these are the same individual, but Burton's family tree dating to the early 17th century shows two, an older Humphrey (Joan St. John's son) who is given no wife and a younger one (Alice Savage's) who is. Various land dealings involving Richard and Humphrey make it likely that the older Humphrey was the only Humphrey, but still do not make it impossible that a younger one existed, too. If the younger one did exist, though, the before-mentioned land dealings make it virtually impossible for him to have been born later than the very beginning of 1516. On the balance, it would seem to me that Richard Cotton and Joan St. John were both approaching 30 when they married and seem to have had at least three sons in relatively quick order. Francis (spelled Frances, but not necessarily indicating a female in the early 16th century) I think is just as likely to have been a son of Joan St. John as of Alice Savage. The reason for thinking that this is a male rather than a female is because of male Francis Cottons appearing in the same part of Staffordshire later in the 16th century for whom DNA testing of possible descendants would indicate a common descent with Humphrey and John's descendants. Nevertheless, it is not impossible for Frances to have been a daughter, but again of which woman is not clear. For onomastic reasons, Richard's three daughters Maude, Ellen, and Dorothy are all likely to have been Alice's daughters. Concerning Maude, in particular, there is absolutely no doubt, as both of the two early 17th century pedigree's show her as Alice's daughter by Richard. Concerning Joan St. John, it is now clear that she died by mid-1514, and it would seem that Richard was looking for a wife who would take care of his children for. Their ages could have been as young as two years of age for the youngest to no more than ten years of age for the oldest. My estimated birth year for Alice is around 1490, making her at the time of her marriage already past suitable marriage age. Richard Cotton would have been born around 1475, thus contemporary with his first wife, but not his second. I will continue to do more research. I have uncovered several leads which once I can examine pdf's of the original documents will allow me to clarify things further. Incidentally, both of Richard's wives have a very interesting ancestry. On Joan's side, her mother Alice Langham had Sir John Hawkwood (a late 14th century English national military hero) as an ancestor. On Alice's side, her great grandmother was the sister of the first earl of Derby and thus the sister-in-law of Margaret Beaufort, the mother of Henry VII by Edmund Tudor, the earl of Richmond.
Thanks for this Hikaru.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Thomas St John of Charing; have I found him?

<cde806b1-1dd9-4716-b5a6-9c6d297f8b86n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7321&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7321

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 19:39:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: thetrioleticgames@gmail.com (Hikaru Kitabayashi)
 by: Hikaru Kitabayashi - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 02:39 UTC

<45150a5a-e48d-4d0f-a4d5-6a6d3c6281d3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7322&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7322

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 20:25:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: thetrioleticgames@gmail.com (Hikaru Kitabayashi)
 by: Hikaru Kitabayashi - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 03:25 UTC

> [...]
> > Best wishes,
> > Hikaru
> Thanks for this Hikaru.
>
> Please keep up the good work with more PDF's! You seem to have a rare skill of replacing guesses with real dates.
>
> I am aware of the John Savage marriage to Katherine Stanley, and what happened to both families after 1485.
>
> What I have not found yet is a son Gilbert of this marriage, a Gilbert who married ?? and was the father of Alice Savage who married Richard Cotton. Also so many children have been credited to John and Katherine, that I am seeking a definitive list of these children. What would you advise here?

Dear Colin,

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Thomas St John of Charing; have I found him?

<b0af82d7-64b6-4461-9b44-2ccde35dacbfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7332&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7332

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 06:09:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: colinjjpiper@gmail.com (Colin Piper)
 by: Colin Piper - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 13:09 UTC

<bb2e1e9f-1217-4033-8fb5-2c84dc2836aan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7348&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7348

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 08:57:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: hkitabayashi@gmail.com (Hickory)
 by: Hickory - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 15:57 UTC

On Saturday, August 5, 2023 at 10:09:09 PM UTC+9, Colin Piper wrote:
> [...]
> thank you for this.
> I am interested in the connection to the Hyde family. If this was John Hyde 1493-1526, there is a marriage to Catherine Savage born c 1506 in 1527. This Catherine was the daughter of Gilbert Savage born c1460s. Gilbert was the son of Sir Robert Savage 1449-1493, of the Ards in Ulster. Robert was married to Helen Dethick, and was the son of Sir John Savage and Katherine Stanley.
>
> All of the information above is secondary but at least it mentions Gilbert and relates him to the Savage main line. The brass you mention is still accurate as there was more than one John Savage. It would have been nice to find a reference to Catherine's sister Alice to complete the picture.
>
> As an aside, Gilbert had a sister Cecilia, born in Ulster, who married John MacDonald, of Dunnyveg (1435-1499) a descendent of the Lords of the Isles
Concerning the brass, you will have trouble finding the reference using Google Books, as the book it is in is a snippet view book and a small percentage of the lower parts of some of the concerned letters are cut. I didn't pay attention about the search terms I used or copy the URL, because I had already read it in 2007-2008 when I was on a one-year sabbatical in London to do research at the library of the Institute of History of the University of London. I did not pay much attention to this at the time, as it was not related in any obvious manner to the other research I was doing at the time. The book, as one would expect, is academic and generally not available. What was stated was that someone in the past had copied from a no-longer legible brass in the church at Hampstall Ridware the phrase that says that Alice was the daughter of Gilbert Savage, the son of Sir John Savage. I vaguely remember it was referenced from an early Staffordshire historian (possibly Stebbing Shaw), coming from a discussion of the church of Hampstal Ridware, so I am not sure. Sir Gilbert Talbot was a close associate of both the elder and younger Sir John Savages, as well as the Stanleys. The record in the National Archives referring to him states that Katherine Hyde's father Gilbert was of Dewsbury which is in Yorkshire, though he could have had property in more than one location and Alice is not specifically mentioned in either the National Archive's record or in the visitations. The message of the Hyde marriage is in two of the visitations, perhaps Cheshire or Lancashire, anyway, one or more of the western counties. Perhaps, we are dealing with two cousins or perhaps one of our sources got something wrong. Whatever, things are taking an interesting turn and I hope you are able to work it out. Mistakes can persist very stubbornly. Concerning Richard and John Cotton's ancestry, I have uncovered several that were made over 400 years ago by very highly respected researchers. They persist unquestioned, even though proof of error is available, because the people making the original mistakes were so reputable. By the way, I have been doing research recently on Joan St. John's female line (Alice Langham) ancestry. I have found no connection with royalty, but many other interesting connections in British Society during the 15th and 16th centuries. Judging from this, it is absolutely clear that Thomas St. John had to have come from an established British upperclass family, especially as he brought no money into a marriage to a wealthy heiress, closely related to other upperclass families of importance in the London, Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk area. The same applies to the second marriage of Alice to John Cotton. He brought absolutely no money into the marriage, but he brought a wealth of very important, mainly West Country, social connections, including a distant royal descent from his (and Richard's) mother Joan Fitzherbert.

Click here to read the complete article
Edward St. John of Barlavington [was Re: Thomas St John of Charing; have I found him?]

<b5c67a8b-e4dc-47ea-a233-3ff789b9844en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7349&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7349

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 08:08:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Edward St. John of Barlavington [was Re: Thomas St John of Charing;
have I found him?]
From: monica.kanellis@gmail.com (mk)
 by: mk - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 15:08 UTC

Returning to Edward St. John and Alice, Rokesley, I'm not convinced that she was the widow of Roger Dallingridge. I seem to remember this was speculated by Patricia Junkin based on a 1405 plea in which Alice, widow of Edward is administering the goods of Roger Dalyngrygge. I haven't been able to find this. Can anyone point me to it? And any information on the Rokesleys would help. Acc. to the imp of William St John, her son, "John de Rokesle, knight, was seised in fee of the under-mentioned manor [Shelve], and granted it by charter to Robert de Rokesle, his son, to hold to him and the heirs of his body. Robert died seised of the manor in fee tail, and after his death the manor descended to Richard, his son and heir. Richard died seised of the manor in fee tail, and after his death the manor descended to Alice, his daughter and heir, who married a certain Edward Seynt John. " I can't sort out quite where these Rokesleys fit in. Presumably they are related to the Agnes Rokesely who married Sir Thomas Poynings?

As the Edward who married Alice inherited Barlavington, he must have been grandson of Eve Dawtry, presumably by either her son John or Edward. But I can't find much data. If Alice is the one associated with Thomas Bromflete, does that suggest Edward was the brother of Bromflete's wife Margaret, dau. of Edward and Anastasia?

"In 1398 Alice widow of Edward Seynt Johan knight, Thomas Brouneflete, William Wateresfeld chaplain, and Robert Lovell, acting as executors of the will of Edward Saint Johan knight, sued Thomas atte Rede in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of £39.

1403 To the sheriff of Kent.... if taken at suit of Alice who was wife of Edward Seynt Johan knight, Thomas Bromflete and William Wateresfelde chaplain, executors of the said Edward, for render of 20£."

If anyone has anything on this line, I would much appreciate seeing it.

Re: Edward St. John of Barlavington [was Re: Thomas St John of Charing; have I found him?]

<81bb0b58-0adb-4e0b-90a6-996128cfd41bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7352&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7352

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 05:25:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Edward St. John of Barlavington [was Re: Thomas St John of
Charing; have I found him?]
From: wjhonson.2014@gmail.com (Will Johnson)
 by: Will Johnson - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 12:25 UTC

On Thursday, August 10, 2023 at 9:08:31 AM UTC-6, mk wrote:

> Returning to Edward St. John and Alice, Rokesley, I'm not convinced that she was the widow of Roger Dallingridge. I seem to remember this was speculated by Patricia Junkin based on a 1405 plea in which Alice, widow of Edward is administering the goods of Roger Dalyngrygge. I haven't been able to find this. Can anyone point me to it? And any information on the Rokesleys would help. Acc. to the imp of William St John, her son, "John de Rokesle, knight, was seised in fee of the under-mentioned manor [Shelve], and granted it by charter to Robert de Rokesle, his son, to hold to him and the heirs of his body. Robert died seised of the manor in fee tail, and after his death the manor descended to Richard, his son and heir. Richard died seised of the manor in fee tail, and after his death the manor descended to Alice, his daughter and heir, who married a certain Edward Seynt John. " I can't sort out quite where these Rokesleys fit in. Presumably they are related to the Agnes Rokesely who married Sir Thomas Poynings?
>
> As the Edward who married Alice inherited Barlavington, he must have been grandson of Eve Dawtry, presumably by either her son John or Edward. But I can't find much data. If Alice is the one associated with Thomas Bromflete, does that suggest Edward was the brother of Bromflete's wife Margaret, dau. of Edward and Anastasia?
>
> "In 1398 Alice widow of Edward Seynt Johan knight, Thomas Brouneflete, William Wateresfeld chaplain, and Robert Lovell, acting as executors of the will of Edward Saint Johan knight, sued Thomas atte Rede in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of £39.
>
> 1403 To the sheriff of Kent.... if taken at suit of Alice who was wife of Edward Seynt Johan knight, Thomas Bromflete and William Wateresfelde chaplain, executors of the said Edward, for render of 20£."
>
> If anyone has anything on this line, I would much appreciate seeing it.

https://www.google.hn/books/edition/Magna_Carta_Ancestry_A_Study_in_Colonial/8JcbV309c5UC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=barlavington+st+John&pg=RA3-PA96&printsec=frontcover

Re: Edward St. John of Barlavington [was Re: Thomas St John of Charing; have I found him?]

<ee120456-ee6e-440d-8a27-14a74f320351n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7354&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7354

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 10:29:53 -0700 (PDT)
Charing; have I found him?]
From: monica.kanellis@gmail.com (mk)
 by: mk - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 17:29 UTC

On Friday, August 11, 2023 at 8:25:10 AM UTC-4, Will Johnson wrote:

> > If anyone has anything on this line, I would much appreciate seeing it.
> https://www.google.hn/books/edition/Magna_Carta_Ancestry_A_Study_in_Colonial/8JcbV309c5UC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=barlavington+st+John&pg=RA3-PA96&printsec=frontcover

Anastasia was the sister-in-law of the person most likely to be the father of the Edward who married Alice Rokesley and inherited the manors of Barlavington which had belonged to Eve Dawtry.

North Marden Pages 108-110
A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 4, the Rape of Chichester. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1953.
North Marden may have formed part of the 5 fees held by Hugh de Falaise in the time of Henry I, as fee here was held by Hugh's granddaughter Agnes widow of Geoffrey son of Azo, and after her death it was successfully claimed by her nieces Margaret, Denise, and Florence, daughters of Richard Murdac, against William Aguillon, who represented Hugh de Falaise through his other daughter. William called to warrant Alfred de Lincoln, who was perhaps his guardian or trustee. Margaret married Nicholas de Lymesy and in 1235 William Aguillon claimed the fee against her and her son Walter, to whom he eventually, in 1241, made over his rights.Walter was succeeded by Nicholas de Lymesy, probably his son, who in 1246 made an agreement with William Dawtrey that they should present alternately to the church of North Marden. Presumably the fee had passed into the hands of William Dawtrey, as his granddaughter Eve inherited 2½ fees in Barlavington, Marden, and elsewhere. She married three times: first Roger de Shelvestrode, who held the fees in 1302, then William Paynel, the tenant in 1314, and finally Edward St. John. The manor of Barlavington and lands in North Marden were among the estates settled on Edward and Eve and her heirs in 1318, and at her death in 1354 they passed to her son John St. John. The subsequent history of this mesne lordship is obscure. In 1428 a ½ fee in North Marden was said to be held by the Prior of Maiden Bradley and William St. John and to have formerly been held by Roger de Lynche, but Roger's connexion with the fee is otherwise unrecorded. William St. John left a daughter Elizabeth, who married Henry Dyke, and their coheirs were their granddaughters, Constance wife of John Goring and Eleanor wife of William Dering. The advowson (q.v.) descended to them, but no more is recorded of the lordship.