Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself. -- Friedrich Nietzsche

interests / soc.genealogy.medieval / Re: Mary Armistead Who Married Peter Rogers c. 1700 Virginia

SubjectAuthor
* Mary Armistead Who Married Peter Rogers c. 1700 VirginiaRobert Allen
`- Mary Armistead Who Married Peter Rogers c. 1700 VirginiaJBrand

1
Mary Armistead Who Married Peter Rogers c. 1700 Virginia

<079d618f-6363-4301-b8af-7b0ceb27457fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7329&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7329

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 18:38:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Mary Armistead Who Married Peter Rogers c. 1700 Virginia
From: boballen2329@gmail.com (Robert Allen)
 by: Robert Allen - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 01:38 UTC

I am descended from Joseph Rogers, born c. 1716 probably in King & Queen Co.., Virginia, America. He is said to be one of the children of Peter Roger and Mary Armistead. Peter Roger (born c. 1675) died in King & Queen Co., VA either on Feb 3, 1725/26 or 1726/27. I am trying to confirm Mary Armistead's paternity.

The prevailing thought is that Peter Roger married Mary Armistead the daughter of Col. John Armistead and Judith Hone. This is how I have it in my family tree. Col. John Armistead had connections with Middlesex Co., VA, Gloucester Co., VA and Elizabeth City Co., VA and was still alive in 1695. I don't have a death date for him.

I show an estimated marriage date for Peter Rogers and Mary Armistead as c. 1698, although the earliest estimated birth date I have for their children was a John Rogers born c. 1712. So, my marriage date might be too early.

Here is my problem. The Christ Church parish register (Middlesex Co., VA) has an entry showing the marriage of Robert Biggs to Mary Armistead on April 14, 1703. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-J38F-64F2?i=37&cat=374972 (must be signed in to https//www.familysearch.org to view this). It does not state the name of Mary Armistead's parents. My initial thought is that she was the daughter of Col. John Armistead and Judith Hone. But if Peter Roger married Mary Armistead c. 1698. this cannot be correct. Either I have my marriage date wrong and Mary's marriage to Robert Biggs was annulled or ended in divorce before 1712 and then she remarried Peter Rogers before 1712 or there are two different Mary Armisteads who are contemporaries, one marrying Robert Biggs (and perhaps dying before 1707), and the other marrying Peter Rogers.

There is a Roger Armistead in Gloucester Co., VA, and King & Queen Co., VA, who is a contemporary of Col. John Armistead, but nobody seems to know his paternity. If there are two different Mary Armisteads, one who married Robert Biggs and the other who married Peter Rogers, which one was the daughter of Col. John Armistead? Was one of them the daughter of Roger Armistead?

The Christ Church Parish Register has a baptism records of Mary Biggs, daughter of Robert Biggs and Elizabeth, his wife showing a baptism date of August 3, 1707. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-V38F-6412?i=41&cat=374972 (must be signed in to https//www.familysearch.org to view this). So either Robert Biggs married Elizabeth Armistead on April 14, 1703, and the clerk mis-record her name as Mary when she was Elizabeth, or his marriage to Mary Armistead ended by Mary's death (or annulment or divorce) prior to 1707 for Robert Biggs to have remarried to Elizabeth ?? who gave birth to his child in 1707. I don't find a 2nd marriage record for Robert Biggs between 1703 and 1707 in the Christ Church Parish Register.

This is confusing to me. I am hoping to generate a discussion that will prove the parents of Mary Armistead who married Peter Rogers

Cheers,

Bob Allen

Re: Mary Armistead Who Married Peter Rogers c. 1700 Virginia

<c5e6de6b-9405-4ee3-aaea-b35b075fef21n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7333&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7333

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 08:59:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: starbuck95@hotmail.com (JBrand)
 by: JBrand - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 15:59 UTC

On Friday, August 4, 2023 at 9:38:03 PM UTC-4, Robert Allen wrote:
> [...]
>
> This is confusing to me. I am hoping to generate a discussion that will prove the parents of Mary Armistead who married Peter Rogers

Ms. Hatcher's article lists only Judith (Armistead) Carter, Elizabeth (Armistead) (Wormeley) Churchill, William Armistead, and Henry Armistead as the children of John and Judith (Hone) Armistead.