If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing. -- Anatole France

interests / soc.genealogy.medieval / Re: Richard Daubney origins

SubjectAuthor
* Richard Daubney originsColin Piper
`- Richard Daubney originsDarrell E. Larocque

1
Richard Daubney origins

<003fd7f6-a9f5-4924-8002-c048aa38c855n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7353&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7353

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 08:32:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Richard Daubney origins
From: colinjjpiper@gmail.com (Colin Piper)
 by: Colin Piper - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 15:32 UTC

D’Albini, De Aubigne, D’Aubigny, Daubeney…..….Daubney?

I was trying to help my brother in law, when I came across a Daubney family from Scotter in Lincolnshire.
This name seems very close to the historical families as above where there is lots of variety in the spelling of the surname. Also Scotter, a large village in North Lincolnshire, is not far from South Ingleby where the Daubeney family had the manor (among many other manors).
So the question I am sharing with you is whether this Daubney family is a minor offshoot of the Daubeneys.
Firstly the evidence.
Generation 1
Richard Daubney (1505-) = Isabel
Generation 2
William Daubney (1535-1613) =Agnes
Siblings; Elizabeth and Richard Daubney
Generation 3
John Daubney (1570-1611) = Margaret Beeche (1571-1609)
John was rector of Scotter
Siblings; Marmaduke, William, Nicholas, Robert
Generation 4
Theodore Daubney (1606-1657) =Dorothy Batte
Siblings; Mabel, Thomas, John, Richard
Generation 5
Cornelius Daubney (1630-)
Both Theodore and Cornelius emigrated to New Kent County in Virginia, by about 1644, and I think that there is US interest in the origins of this family. I have seen one comment that this family introduced the Daubney/Dabney surname into America.
Several web sites, like Ancestry claim a direct descent from Giles Daubeney (1451-1507) who married Elizabeth Arundel (1457-1510) and/or his son Henry Daubeney (1493-1548) who married Katherine Howard (1495-1554). Even a quick look at their family tree shows this to be very wrong; there is no room here for a Richard Daubney.
But there may be a link to an earlier generation of the Daubeneys and the link may not be a legitimate one.
After lots of web searching and reading the Daubeney section of CP provides no clues of younger sons and/or references to Scotter. Unless younger sons marry well, or achieve fame, they seem to quietly drop out of sight within a couple of generations.
My brother in law’s descent is via Marmaduke Daubney and I remember that this was a common name among the Thweng family who had married into the Daubeneys in an earlier generation ……..but this is too distant. Then I found that the manor of Scotter was held by the church but then rented out to the Tyrwhitt family, where one Marmaduke Tyrwhitt was lord of the manor and about 20 years older than Marmaduke Daubney, so a simple case of flattery via naming?
This tells me that these Daubneys were not lords of the manor.
Has anyone done research on Richard Daubney’s origins?
Thank you

Re: Richard Daubney origins

<c48828bd-5d71-418b-8986-02c991cfcaebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7355&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7355

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 09:01:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Richard Daubney origins
From: frenchconnection1973@gmail.com (Darrell E. Larocque)
 by: Darrell E. Larocque - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 16:01 UTC

On Friday, August 11, 2023 at 11:32:06 AM UTC-4, Colin Piper wrote:
> D’Albini, De Aubigne, D’Aubigny, Daubeney…..….Daubney?
>
> I was trying to help my brother in law, when I came across a Daubney family from Scotter in Lincolnshire.
> This name seems very close to the historical families as above where there is lots of variety in the spelling of the surname. Also Scotter, a large village in North Lincolnshire, is not far from South Ingleby where the Daubeney family had the manor (among many other manors).
> So the question I am sharing with you is whether this Daubney family is a minor offshoot of the Daubeneys.
> Firstly the evidence.
> Generation 1
> Richard Daubney (1505-) = Isabel
> Generation 2
> William Daubney (1535-1613) =Agnes
> Siblings; Elizabeth and Richard Daubney
> Generation 3
> John Daubney (1570-1611) = Margaret Beeche (1571-1609)
> John was rector of Scotter
> Siblings; Marmaduke, William, Nicholas, Robert
> Generation 4
> Theodore Daubney (1606-1657) =Dorothy Batte
> Siblings; Mabel, Thomas, John, Richard
> Generation 5
> Cornelius Daubney (1630-)
> Both Theodore and Cornelius emigrated to New Kent County in Virginia, by about 1644, and I think that there is US interest in the origins of this family. I have seen one comment that this family introduced the Daubney/Dabney surname into America.
> Several web sites, like Ancestry claim a direct descent from Giles Daubeney (1451-1507) who married Elizabeth Arundel (1457-1510) and/or his son Henry Daubeney (1493-1548) who married Katherine Howard (1495-1554). Even a quick look at their family tree shows this to be very wrong; there is no room here for a Richard Daubney.
> But there may be a link to an earlier generation of the Daubeneys and the link may not be a legitimate one.
> After lots of web searching and reading the Daubeney section of CP provides no clues of younger sons and/or references to Scotter. Unless younger sons marry well, or achieve fame, they seem to quietly drop out of sight within a couple of generations.
> My brother in law’s descent is via Marmaduke Daubney and I remember that this was a common name among the Thweng family who had married into the Daubeneys in an earlier generation ……..but this is too distant. Then I found that the manor of Scotter was held by the church but then rented out to the Tyrwhitt family, where one Marmaduke Tyrwhitt was lord of the manor and about 20 years older than Marmaduke Daubney, so a simple case of flattery via naming?
> This tells me that these Daubneys were not lords of the manor.
> Has anyone done research on Richard Daubney’s origins?
> Thank you

Colin,

I'm going to be following this because of my ties to the family through Giles Daubeney (b ca. 1335 South Ingleby, Lincolnshire - d 24 Jun 1386 Barrington, Somerset), son of Ralph d'Aubeney KB and Alice de Montacute, who married Alianore Wilington on 5 Jan 1359.

I would suggest that a minor variation of the spelling of the name sans 'e' for record searches shouldn't be the only name used. It is very possible that they still used Daubeney and I'd use as many different variations as possible when conducting searches.

Darrell