When you go out to buy, don't show your silver.

interests / soc.genealogy.medieval / Re: Origin of the Sinclairs

SubjectAuthor
* Origin of the SinclairsRobert Goff
`* Re: Origin of the SinclairsPaulo Ricardo Canedo
 `* Re: Origin of the SinclairsPeter Stewart
  `* Re: Origin of the SinclairsPeter Stewart
   `* Re: Origin of the Sinclairsmiked
    `* Re: Origin of the Sinclairstaf
     +- Re: Origin of the SinclairsRobert Goff
     `* Re: Origin of the Sinclairstaf
      `* Re: Origin of the Sinclairstaf
       `- Re: Origin of the SinclairsRobert Goff

1
Re: Origin of the Sinclairs

<9a569eb0-a15b-42b8-b0e1-3803b5915a89n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7402&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7402

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 07:30:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Origin of the Sinclairs
From: rwgoff1981@gmail.com (Robert Goff)
 by: Robert Goff - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 14:30 UTC

On Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 9:58:39 PM UTC-4, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
> Father Hay claimed Sir William Sinclair, the founder of the Sinclair family, was French and son of Robert de Saint Clair and Eleanor de Dreux, daughter of Robert II de Dreux. How much credence can be given to this claim? The marriage between Robert de Saint Clair and Eleanor de Dreux is well document but was Sir William Sinclair really their son? An argument against it at https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/St_Clair-21 is that was a Scottish Henry de St-Clair who could have been William's father.

Father Hay did not claim that Sir William St. Clair of Rosslyn was the son of Robert de St. Clair and Eleanor de Dreux. He only observed that he found an entry for Robert de St. Clair in the history of the house of Dreux. Father Richard Augustine Hay, Genealogie of the Sainteclaires of Rosslyn, 2002 edition, James Maidment ed., and Brother Robert L.D. Cooper, ed. (Edinburgh: Grand Lodge of Scotland, 2002), p. 34. There is a more recent book on the St. Clairs in Scotland that also looked at primary source documents in which the authors show that William St. Clair of Rosslyn was not the son of Robert and St. Clair and Eleanor de Dreux. Gerald Sinclair and Rondo BB Me, The Enigmatic Sinclairs: The Definitive Guide to the Sinclairs in Scotland, Volume 1 (McMinnville: St. Clair Publications, 2015), p. 224-227. There is some question as to whether William St. Clair of Rosslyn descended from the St. Clairs of Hermandston. Enigmatic Sinclairs, p. 177, 185, 192, 199. In 1162-1190 Richard de Moreville, son of Hugh I de Moreville, gave Herdmanston to Henry de Sancto Claro. Enigmatic Sinclairs, p. 157-169; www.poms.ac..uk/record/source/5959/

Alan de Sancto Claro, son of Henry de Sancto Claro of Herdmanston married Mathilde de Windsor., with her maritagium funded by William de Moreville. www.poms.ac.uk/record/source/2716/ citing K. Stringer, “Acts of Lordship: the records of the lords of Galloway to 1234,” T Brotherstone and D. Ditchburn, eds., Freedom and Authority, Scotland c. 1050 - c. 1650 (East Linton: Tuckwell Press, 1996), p. 223; see also Hay, Genealogie, p. 35.. K. Stringer may have suggested that Matilda was the daughter of Alexander de Windsor and Agnes, daughter of William I de Lancaster. Enigmatic Sinclairs, p. 173-174. That would explain why William de Moreville, cousin to Agnes de Lancaster, funded Mathilda's maritagium.

Can anyone help with Matilda de Windsor, such as any other notice of her? I cannot see where she participated in the inheritance from her brother, Alexander II de Windsor of Cumbria and Berkshire with her possible sister, Christiana de Windsor, wife of Duncan de Lasceles and her other possible sister, wife of Hugh de Hosdenc and mother of Ralph de Hosdeng. In 1200, Duncan de Lasceles and wife, Christiana, offered 10£ to have the land of Boulton in Cumberland that was Christiana’s inheritance from her father since she could not have her reasonable part of the inheritance in Scotland. In the year 1202, Christiana de Wyndleshore granted land in Patestun [Paxton] Scotland adjacent the land of Hugh de Hodene to the Priory of Lanercost for the souls of William the King [of Scotland], of her husband, her children and Walter de Wyndleshore, her brother. In 1203, Christiana de Windlesor gave 200 marks that she would be recognized as heir of her brother, Walter de Windlesor and have seisin of his lands in Essex and Hertfordshire and Yorkshire. In 1206, Ralph de Hosdeng and Duncan de Laceles and wife, Christiana, offered 40 marks in Bedfordshire for the total land of Walter de Windlesor held in capite. After 1203, Ralph de Haudeng granted land in Bekenesfeld [Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire] that had been given by Lord Walter de Wyndlesore, his avunculus [here, uncle]. In 1209, Duncan de Lacelles and wife, Christiana entered a fine with the Abbot of Geddesworthe for the advowson of Bastorethwait [Bassenthwaite in Cumbria]. In 1210-1212, Ralf de Hodenges held 3 1/3 knights’ fees of the barony of Walter de Wyndersores in Buckinghamshire. In 1211-1212, William Briwere accounted for the marriage of Christiana, daughter of Duncan de Lasceles, with ½ the vill of Burneham, Buckinghamshire, and debts of Walter de Windlesores.

Re: Origin of the Sinclairs

<4ac57a4c-e4de-49ec-bde6-bb88f659e894n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8228&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8228

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 08:22:23 -0800 (PST)
From: pauloricardocanedo2@gmail.com (Paulo Ricardo Canedo)
 by: Paulo Ricardo Canedo - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 16:22 UTC

A segunda-feira, 21 de agosto de 2023 à(s) 15:30:50 UTC+1, Robert Goff escreveu:
> [...]
>
> Can anyone help with Matilda de Windsor, such as any other notice of her? I cannot see where she participated in the inheritance from her brother, Alexander II de Windsor of Cumbria and Berkshire with her possible sister, Christiana de Windsor, wife of Duncan de Lasceles and her other possible sister, wife of Hugh de Hosdenc and mother of Ralph de Hosdeng. In 1200, Duncan de Lasceles and wife, Christiana, offered 10£ to have the land of Boulton in Cumberland that was Christiana’s inheritance from her father since she could not have her reasonable part of the inheritance in Scotland. In the year 1202, Christiana de Wyndleshore granted land in Patestun [Paxton] Scotland adjacent the land of Hugh de Hodene to the Priory of Lanercost for the souls of William the King [of Scotland], of her husband, her children and Walter de Wyndleshore, her brother. In 1203, Christiana de Windlesor gave 200 marks that she would be recognized as heir of her brother, Walter de Windlesor and have seisin of his lands in Essex and Hertfordshire and Yorkshire. In 1206, Ralph de Hosdeng and Duncan de Laceles and wife, Christiana, offered 40 marks in Bedfordshire for the total land of Walter de Windlesor held in capite. After 1203, Ralph de Haudeng granted land in Bekenesfeld [Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire] that had been given by Lord Walter de Wyndlesore, his avunculus [here, uncle]. In 1209, Duncan de Lacelles and wife, Christiana entered a fine with the Abbot of Geddesworthe for the advowson of Bastorethwait [Bassenthwaite in Cumbria]. In 1210-1212, Ralf de Hodenges held 3 1/3 knights’ fees of the barony of Walter de Wyndersores in Buckinghamshire. In 1211-1212, William Briwere accounted for the marriage of Christiana, daughter of Duncan de Lasceles, with ½ the vill of Burneham, Buckinghamshire, and debts of Walter de Windlesores.
Dear Robert, how did the authors show that William St. Clair of Rosslyn was not the son of Ronert de St. Clair and Eleanor de Dreux?

Re: Origin of the Sinclairs

<uo27bo$m3iu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8231&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8231

From: psssst@optusnet.com.au (Peter Stewart)
Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:04:25 +1100
 by: Peter Stewart - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 03:04 UTC

On 15-Jan-24 3:22 AM, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
> [...]
> Dear Robert, how did the authors show that William St. Clair of Rosslyn was not the son of Ronert de St. Clair and Eleanor de Dreux?
I don't know how the authors cited above showed this, but it is easily
proved.
Eleanor de Dreux was married to her first husband by July 1206, so
evidently born by ca 1194. She was married to her second husband, Robert
de Saint-Clair, in 1234 or 1235, aged around 40. Not surprisingly, they
had just two recorded children: a son, also named Robert, who was
seigneur of Sorel and died without issue before his father, and a
daughter named Eleanor who contested with their father for the
inheritance of Sorel after her brother's death. The father was
successful, and there was clearly no William in the family to offer a
third claim. The record of this can be found here (p. 494 no. 13):
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=yqE4AQAAMAAJ&pg=RA2-PA494.
Peter Stewart

www.avg.com

Re: Origin of the Sinclairs

<uo2kok$r91u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8232&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8232

From: psssst@optusnet.com.au (Peter Stewart)
Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 17:53:13 +1100
 by: Peter Stewart - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 06:53 UTC

On 15-Jan-24 2:04 PM, Peter Stewart wrote:
> [...]
>> Dear Robert, how did the authors show that William St. Clair of
>> Rosslyn was not the son of Ronert de St. Clair and Eleanor de Dreux?
>
> I don't know how the authors cited above showed this, but it is easily
> proved.
>
> Eleanor de Dreux was married to her first husband by July 1206, so
> evidently born by ca 1194. She was married to her second husband, Robert
> de Saint-Clair, in 1234 or 1235, aged around 40. Not surprisingly, they
> had just two recorded children: a son, also named Robert, who was
> seigneur of Sorel and died without issue before his father, and a
> daughter named Eleanor who contested with their father for the
> inheritance of Sorel after her brother's death. The father was
> successful, and there was clearly no William in the family to offer a
> third claim. The record of this can be found here (p. 494 no. 13):

I should add that the younger Robert, seigneur of Sorel, and his sister
Eleanor had two paternal half-brothers by an unknown first wife of
Robert of Saint-Clair, named Jean (whose descendants were seigneurs of
Saint-Clair) and Henri (who became a monk at Saint-Wandrille). By the
first marriage of Eleanor of Dreux they also had a maternal half-brother
named Jean (seigneur of Châteauneuf-en-Thimerais, who died without
issue) and five half-sisters.

Peter Stewart

www.avg.com

Re: Origin of the Sinclairs

<ed31e5f2c2d01d6c5b371803c7d93219@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8237&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8237

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 22:38:35 +0000
 by: miked - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 22:38 UTC

Peter Stewart wrote:

> On 15-Jan-24 2:04 PM, Peter Stewart wrote:
>> On 15-Jan-24 3:22 AM, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
>>> A segunda-feira, 21 de agosto de 2023 à(s) 15:30:50 UTC+1, Robert Goff

>>> Dear Robert, how did the authors show that William St. Clair of
>>> Rosslyn was not the son of Ronert de St. Clair and Eleanor de Dreux?
>>
>> I don't know how the authors cited above showed this, but it is easily
>> proved.
>>
>> Eleanor de Dreux was married to her first husband by July 1206, so
>> evidently born by ca 1194. She was married to her second husband, Robert
>> de Saint-Clair, in 1234 or 1235, aged around 40. Not surprisingly, they
>> had just two recorded children: a son, also named Robert, who was
>> seigneur of Sorel and died without issue before his father, and a
>> daughter named Eleanor who contested with their father for the
>> inheritance of Sorel after her brother's death. The father was
>> successful, and there was clearly no William in the family to offer a
>> third claim. The record of this can be found here (p. 494 no. 13):
>> https://books.google.com.au/books?id=yqE4AQAAMAAJ&pg=RA2-PA494.

> I should add that the younger Robert, seigneur of Sorel, and his sister
> Eleanor had two paternal half-brothers by an unknown first wife of
> Robert of Saint-Clair, named Jean (whose descendants were seigneurs of
> Saint-Clair) and Henri (who became a monk at Saint-Wandrille). By the
> first marriage of Eleanor of Dreux they also had a maternal half-brother
> named Jean (seigneur of Châteauneuf-en-Thimerais, who died without
> issue) and five half-sisters.

I dont know how accurate this page is, but it seems that the St.Clairs
of Hermanston are more likely to have been the ancestors of William
than some remote Normandy noble with no obvious connection to Scotland.

https://sinclairgenealogy.info/scotland/st-clair-of-herdmanston/

mike

Re: Origin of the Sinclairs

<dbcd466f-6b55-43f9-8b82-6ba0f5149f82n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8239&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8239

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 19:29:17 -0800 (PST)
From: taf.medieval@gmail.com (taf)
 by: taf - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 03:29 UTC

On Monday, January 15, 2024 at 2:40:48 PM UTC-8, miked wrote:

> I dont know how accurate this page is, but it seems that the St.Clairs
> of Hermanston are more likely to have been the ancestors of William
> than some remote Normandy noble with no obvious connection to Scotland.

I found a streamed interview with the authors of The Enigmatic Sinclairs. I have not seen the work itself, but in general I was impressed by their assiduous insistence, as related in the interview, on using only primary evidence for all of their conclusions, none of the past family mythology (or the newer Dan Brown nonsense) and hence their unwillingness to make any definitive pronouncement on this issue, but you could tell from their tone that one of them thought this highly likely and the other was at least open to a Hermanston derivation.

taf

Re: Origin of the Sinclairs

<60bb324f-198b-4fe5-b232-3d08ceda073cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8243&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8243

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 05:10:47 -0800 (PST)
From: rwgoff1981@gmail.com (Robert Goff)
 by: Robert Goff - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 13:10 UTC

On Monday, January 15, 2024 at 10:29:19 PM UTC-5, taf wrote:
> On Monday, January 15, 2024 at 2:40:48 PM UTC-8, miked wrote:
>
> > I dont know how accurate this page is, but it seems that the St.Clairs
> > of Hermanston are more likely to have been the ancestors of William
> > than some remote Normandy noble with no obvious connection to Scotland.
> I found a streamed interview with the authors of The Enigmatic Sinclairs. I have not seen the work itself, but in general I was impressed by their assiduous insistence, as related in the interview, on using only primary evidence for all of their conclusions, none of the past family mythology (or the newer Dan Brown nonsense) and hence their unwillingness to make any definitive pronouncement on this issue, but you could tell from their tone that one of them thought this highly likely and the other was at least open to a Hermanston derivation.
>
> taf

William de Sancto Claro of Rosslyn did not appear in Scottish records until 1261. His parents are unknown. Sinclair, Enigmatic Sinclairs, p. 193-194. However, he was associated with the court party of Sir Robert Sinclair, likely of Herdmanston. Sinclair, Enigmatic Sinclairs, p. 177, 193. This leads to the most likely theory that William de Sancto Claro of Rosslyn was a member of the St. Clairs of Herdmanston.

The seal of William de St. Clair of Rosslyn contained three boars’ heads in allusion to another coat of arms of St. Clare. Sinclair, Enigmatic Sinclairs, p. 199. W. De G. Birch, Catalogue of seals in the Department of Manuscripts in the British Museum, vol. 3 (London: British Museum, 1894), p. 472. In 1296, King Edward I of England assembled the church prelates, nobility, knights, and important men of Scotland to swear fealty to him. Those present included John de Seintclerk [St. Clair] of Hirdmanstone [Herdmanston] who swore fealty for his lands in Berwickshire. Also present was another St. Clair of Berwickshire, Gregory de Seint Cler, whose seal depicted three boars’ heads. Sinclair, Enigmatic Sinclairs, p. 192; Calendar of Documents in Scotland, vol, 2, p. 203. Gregory may have been the son of William de Sancto Claro of Rosslyn. If so, then the St. Clairs of Rosslyn were associated with the St. Clairs of Herdmanston in Berwickshire, creating the impression that the Rosslyn St. Clairs descended from the Herdmanston St. Clairs.

Gregory de St. Clair of Berwickshire and William de St. Clair of Rosslyn used the device of 3 boars heads in their arms in allusion to another St. Clair coat of arms. The alluded to St. Clair coat of arms mat have been that of William de Seynclere contained in the Herald’s roll, which is dated to the reign of King Henry III or beginning of King Edward I (1272).The Genealogist, n.s., vol. 5, p. (1888), p. 179. That coat of arms was described as “gules (red) a fess (horizontal band) argent (silver) between three boars heads, or (gold).” The English coat of arms with 3 boars heads was likely that of the St. Clairs of Danbury, Essex, with the representative being William de Sancto Claro of Danbury, sheriff of Essex and steward of Queen Eleanor. Patent Rolls 1281-1292, p. 210. An online source identifies him as William de Sancto Claro of Merston and Higham, Kent which were held by William of Danbury. https://wappenwiki.org/index.php/Herald%27s_Roll_(part_III). William de Sancto Claro of Rosslyn probably descended from the St. Clairs of Herdmanston or their cousins in England. The Herdmanston St. Clairs and the St. Clairs of Danbury Essex descended from the same family that held St. Clair-sur-Elle in Normandy.

Re: Origin of the Sinclairs

<up1bqq$31lhj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8319&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8319

From: taf.medieval@gmail.com (taf)
Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:30:51 -0800
 by: taf - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 22:30 UTC

On 1/15/2024 7:29 PM, taf wrote:
> On Monday, January 15, 2024 at 2:40:48 PM UTC-8, miked wrote:
>
>> I dont know how accurate this page is, but it seems that the St.Clairs
>> of Hermanston are more likely to have been the ancestors of William
>> than some remote Normandy noble with no obvious connection to Scotland.
>
> I found a streamed interview with the authors of The Enigmatic Sinclairs. I have not seen the work itself, but in general I was impressed by their assiduous insistence, as related in the interview, on using only primary evidence for all of their conclusions, none of the past family mythology (or the newer Dan Brown nonsense) and hence their unwillingness to make any definitive pronouncement on this issue, but you could tell from their tone that one of them thought this highly likely and the other was at least open to a Hermanston derivation.
>
> taf

In case anyone is interested, here is the blog/interview.

taf

www.avg.com

Re: Origin of the Sinclairs

<up1btj$31lhj$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8320&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8320

From: taf.medieval@gmail.com (taf)
Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:32:19 -0800
 by: taf - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 22:32 UTC

On 1/26/2024 2:30 PM, taf wrote:
> On 1/15/2024 7:29 PM, taf wrote:
>> On Monday, January 15, 2024 at 2:40:48 PM UTC-8, miked wrote:
>>
>>> I dont know how accurate this page is, but it seems that the St.Clairs
>>> of Hermanston are more likely to have been the ancestors of William
>>> than some remote Normandy noble with no obvious connection to Scotland.
>>
>> I found a streamed interview with the authors of The Enigmatic
>> Sinclairs. I have not seen the work itself, but in general I was
>> impressed by their assiduous insistence, as related in the interview,
>> on using only primary evidence for all of their conclusions, none of
>> the past family mythology (or the newer Dan Brown nonsense) and hence
>> their unwillingness to make any definitive pronouncement on this
>> issue, but you could tell from their tone that one of them thought
>> this highly likely and the other was at least open to a Hermanston
>> derivation.
>>
>> taf
>
> In case anyone is interested, here is the blog/interview.

Well, that was a fail. Let's try that again:
https://www.blogtalkradio.com/stevestclair/2015/11/27/the-enigmatic-sinclairs

taf

www.avg.com

Re: Origin of the Sinclairs

<2ed143cc-aca2-4a14-9f21-1b79fb5f3203n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8328&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8328

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:38:46 -0800 (PST)
From: rwgoff1981@gmail.com (Robert Goff)
 by: Robert Goff - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 21:38 UTC

On Friday, January 26, 2024 at 5:32:22 PM UTC-5, taf wrote:
> On 1/26/2024 2:30 PM, taf wrote:

> >> I found a streamed interview with the authors of The Enigmatic
> >> Sinclairs. I have not seen the work itself, but in general I was
> >> impressed by their assiduous insistence, as related in the interview,
> >> on using only primary evidence for all of their conclusions, none of
> >> the past family mythology (or the newer Dan Brown nonsense) and hence
> >> their unwillingness to make any definitive pronouncement on this
> >> issue, but you could tell from their tone that one of them thought
> >> this highly likely and the other was at least open to a Hermanston
> >> derivation.
> >>
> >> taf
> >
> > In case anyone is interested, here is the blog/interview.
> >
> Well, that was a fail. Let's try that again:
> https://www.blogtalkradio.com/stevestclair/2015/11/27/the-enigmatic-sinclairs
> taf
>

> --
> www.avg.com

The authors of the Enigmatic Sinclairs said that the origins of Henry St. Clair of Herdmanston were likely in England and that he was probably related to the family of William de Sancto Claro and his brother Hamon de Sancto Claro, tenants of Eudo Dapifer. According to my research, Henry de Sancto Claro of Herdmanston was likely the younger brother of Hubert II de Sancto Claro of Walkern, and son of Hamon de Sancto Claro. Hubert II de Sancto Claro mentioned his brother Henry in a couple charters, one to Clerkenwell and one to the Hospitallers. Michael Gervers, The Hospitaller Cartulary in the British Library (Toronto: Pontifical Institute of Medieval Studies, 1981), p.. 259. W.O. Hassall, Cartulary of St. Mary, Clerkenwell (London, Royal Historical Society, 1949), p. 125-126. William and Hamon de Sancto Claro are briefly mentioned in The Origins of Some Anglo-Norman Families by Lewis Christopher Loyd and discussed in Farrer's Honors and Knights Fees, vol. 3. More recently, they (and their succession to the lands of Hubert I de Sancto Claro) were discussed in Medieval Walkern and Magna Carta by Peter Sinclair (2013). I wrote a 2021 paper published in Foundations, volume 13 (Foundation for Medieval Genealogy) on the brothers William and Hamon de Sancto Claro and their likely predecessors in England and at Saint-Clair-sur-Elle in Normandy (Hubert I de Sancto Claro and Ralph son of William of Little Horsted, Sussex).