"You need tender loving care once a week - so that I can slap you into shape." -- Ellyn Mustard

interests / soc.genealogy.medieval / Re: The Rye House Plot: Colonel John Rumsey

SubjectAuthor
* The Rye House Plot: Colonel John RumseyJonathan Harlow
`* The Rye House Plot: Colonel John RumseyWill Johnson
 `* The Rye House Plot: Colonel John RumseyWill Johnson
  `* The Rye House Plot: Colonel John RumseyWill Johnson
   `- The Rye House Plot: Colonel John RumseyJonathan Harlow

1
Re: The Rye House Plot: Colonel John Rumsey

<8d8a2a9d-776c-4409-af68-1bc9d49bd84an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7407&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7407

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 03:02:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The Rye House Plot: Colonel John Rumsey
From: jonathanasharlow@gmail.com (Jonathan Harlow)
 by: Jonathan Harlow - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 10:02 UTC

On Saturday, 17 October 2015 at 05:24:02 UTC+1, marl...@att.net wrote:
> Many thanks for your additions. I am trying to go through them line by line as it is indeed difficult to decipher the handwriting.
>
> The first thing I did was to go back to the Rumsey of Usk pedigree to see if there was another John Rumsey of the same period so as to make certain that the will is for the right John Rumsey. So far I have been unable to locate another John of this period.
>
> Clearly this John had a wife Dorothy who was apparently mother of his daughter Margaret. The will mentions a grandson Morgan Williams and a sister Sesley (Cecily?) Rumsey. I believe I can decipher the name of a son Henry. Col. John Rumsey's grandfather was a Henry Rumsey.
>
> I must admit that I still have concern that we have the right John in the will as he makes no mention of his second wife Elizabeth Ashburnham who survived to 1697.
>
> I will dig at this further as time permits. If Charles Rumsey had a daughter Catherine who was wife of Robert Wood (1668-1721) of Cecil County, MD as shown in many pedigrees, I may also have a Charles Rumsey descent. Robert Wood was grandson of Augustine Herman of Prague who founded Bohemia Manor and was an incredibly interesting man. He is supposedly buried with his horse and there is a painting of him with this same horse.
>
> Many thanks for your contribution!
>
> HS
There certainly was another John Romsey, the Town Clerk of Bristol, who was a cousin of Colonel Romsey
in fact Col Romsey wrote to Sir Robert Southwell, Clerk to the Privy Council, for help in getting his cousin the Bristol job Bristol archives 44785-1 (011, 012)
I don't see how the colonel could have been born before say 1630 - he was only an ensign in the Republican army and he is still fit for active service in the Rye House affair 1683
And yes he did marry Hugh Smythe's widow Ann and died in prison 1686

Re: The Rye House Plot: Colonel John Rumsey

<8e8c09d9-79de-4efe-8067-73b7152cd09cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7408&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7408

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 08:30:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: wjhonson.2014@gmail.com (Will Johnson)
 by: Will Johnson - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 15:30 UTC

On Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 3:02:52 AM UTC-7, Jonathan Harlow wrote:
> On Saturday, 17 October 2015 at 05:24:02 UTC+1, marl...@att.net wrote:
> > Many thanks for your additions. I am trying to go through them line by line as it is indeed difficult to decipher the handwriting.
> >
> > The first thing I did was to go back to the Rumsey of Usk pedigree to see if there was another John Rumsey of the same period so as to make certain that the will is for the right John Rumsey. So far I have been unable to locate another John of this period.
> >
> > Clearly this John had a wife Dorothy who was apparently mother of his daughter Margaret. The will mentions a grandson Morgan Williams and a sister Sesley (Cecily?) Rumsey. I believe I can decipher the name of a son Henry. Col. John Rumsey's grandfather was a Henry Rumsey.
> >
> > I must admit that I still have concern that we have the right John in the will as he makes no mention of his second wife Elizabeth Ashburnham who survived to 1697.
> >
> > I will dig at this further as time permits. If Charles Rumsey had a daughter Catherine who was wife of Robert Wood (1668-1721) of Cecil County, MD as shown in many pedigrees, I may also have a Charles Rumsey descent. Robert Wood was grandson of Augustine Herman of Prague who founded Bohemia Manor and was an incredibly interesting man. He is supposedly buried with his horse and there is a painting of him with this same horse.
> >
> > Many thanks for your contribution!
> >
> > HS
> There certainly was another John Romsey, the Town Clerk of Bristol, who was a cousin of Colonel Romsey
> in fact Col Romsey wrote to Sir Robert Southwell, Clerk to the Privy Council, for help in getting his cousin the Bristol job Bristol archives 44785-1 (011, 012)
> I don't see how the colonel could have been born before say 1630 - he was only an ensign in the Republican army and he is still fit for active service in the Rye House affair 1683
> And yes he did marry Hugh Smythe's widow Ann and died in prison 1686

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_baronetage_of_England_or_The_history/IGAOAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=hugh+smythe+ashburnham&pg=PA307&printsec=frontcover

Betham calls this wife Anne Ashburnham, while Collins calls her Elizabeth
That they married in 1658 is not correct as their daughter Elizabeth Smythe was bap 22 Mar 1655 Long Ashton, co Somerset (Batch C141593 wj)

Re: The Rye House Plot: Colonel John Rumsey

<8f8213fe-0cc3-4679-a7cc-e6989b0111d0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7409&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7409

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 08:41:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: wjhonson.2014@gmail.com (Will Johnson)
 by: Will Johnson - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 15:41 UTC

On Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 8:30:20 AM UTC-7, Will Johnson wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 3:02:52 AM UTC-7, Jonathan Harlow wrote:
> > On Saturday, 17 October 2015 at 05:24:02 UTC+1, marl...@att.net wrote:
> > > Many thanks for your additions. I am trying to go through them line by line as it is indeed difficult to decipher the handwriting.
> > >
> > > The first thing I did was to go back to the Rumsey of Usk pedigree to see if there was another John Rumsey of the same period so as to make certain that the will is for the right John Rumsey. So far I have been unable to locate another John of this period.
> > >
> > > Clearly this John had a wife Dorothy who was apparently mother of his daughter Margaret. The will mentions a grandson Morgan Williams and a sister Sesley (Cecily?) Rumsey. I believe I can decipher the name of a son Henry. Col. John Rumsey's grandfather was a Henry Rumsey.
> > >
> > > I must admit that I still have concern that we have the right John in the will as he makes no mention of his second wife Elizabeth Ashburnham who survived to 1697.
> > >
> > > I will dig at this further as time permits. If Charles Rumsey had a daughter Catherine who was wife of Robert Wood (1668-1721) of Cecil County, MD as shown in many pedigrees, I may also have a Charles Rumsey descent. Robert Wood was grandson of Augustine Herman of Prague who founded Bohemia Manor and was an incredibly interesting man. He is supposedly buried with his horse and there is a painting of him with this same horse.
> > >
> > > Many thanks for your contribution!
> > >
> > > HS
> > There certainly was another John Romsey, the Town Clerk of Bristol, who was a cousin of Colonel Romsey
> > in fact Col Romsey wrote to Sir Robert Southwell, Clerk to the Privy Council, for help in getting his cousin the Bristol job Bristol archives 44785-1 (011, 012)
> > I don't see how the colonel could have been born before say 1630 - he was only an ensign in the Republican army and he is still fit for active service in the Rye House affair 1683
> > And yes he did marry Hugh Smythe's widow Ann and died in prison 1686
> https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_baronetage_of_England_or_The_history/IGAOAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=hugh+smythe+ashburnham&pg=PA307&printsec=frontcover
>
> Betham calls this wife Anne Ashburnham, while Collins calls her Elizabeth
> That they married in 1658 is not correct as their daughter Elizabeth Smythe was bap 22 Mar 1655 Long Ashton, co Somerset (Batch C141593 wj)

John Ramsey, Ramsay, also called "Rombsay", Anglican, residing at "Corn All"
was buried at Long Ashton 20 Oct 1689
per the parish records of Long Ashton

Re: The Rye House Plot: Colonel John Rumsey

<153d2f66-83ff-42f1-9400-a116b6bb3064n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7410&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7410

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 08:56:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: wjhonson.2014@gmail.com (Will Johnson)
 by: Will Johnson - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 15:56 UTC

On Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 8:41:04 AM UTC-7, Will Johnson wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 8:30:20 AM UTC-7, Will Johnson wrote:

> > > There certainly was another John Romsey, the Town Clerk of Bristol, who was a cousin of Colonel Romsey
> > > in fact Col Romsey wrote to Sir Robert Southwell, Clerk to the Privy Council, for help in getting his cousin the Bristol job Bristol archives 44785-1 (011, 012)
> > > I don't see how the colonel could have been born before say 1630 - he was only an ensign in the Republican army and he is still fit for active service in the Rye House affair 1683
> > > And yes he did marry Hugh Smythe's widow Ann and died in prison 1686
> > https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_baronetage_of_England_or_The_history/IGAOAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=hugh+smythe+ashburnham&pg=PA307&printsec=frontcover
> >
> > Betham calls this wife Anne Ashburnham, while Collins calls her Elizabeth
> > That they married in 1658 is not correct as their daughter Elizabeth Smythe was bap 22 Mar 1655 Long Ashton, co Somerset (Batch C141593 wj)
> John Ramsey, Ramsay, also called "Rombsay", Anglican, residing at "Corn All"
> was buried at Long Ashton 20 Oct 1689
> per the parish records of Long Ashton

This item
https://archives.bristol.gov.uk/records/AC/36074/163a-b
states that Hugh and Anne married in 1654
but it is not clear whether this is the editor's *opinion* or whether the document actually states that itself

Re: The Rye House Plot: Colonel John Rumsey

<065893be-bc92-486b-baff-e6a38d8723d3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7411&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7411

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 11:50:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: jonathanasharlow@gmail.com (Jonathan Harlow)
 by: Jonathan Harlow - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 18:50 UTC

On Wednesday, 23 August 2023 at 16:56:42 UTC+1, Will Johnson wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 8:41:04 AM UTC-7, Will Johnson wrote:

> > > https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_baronetage_of_England_or_The_history/IGAOAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=hugh+smythe+ashburnham&pg=PA307&printsec=frontcover
> > >
> > > Betham calls this wife Anne Ashburnham, while Collins calls her Elizabeth
> > > That they married in 1658 is not correct as their daughter Elizabeth Smythe was bap 22 Mar 1655 Long Ashton, co Somerset (Batch C141593 wj)
> > John Ramsey, Ramsay, also called "Rombsay", Anglican, residing at "Corn All"
> > was buried at Long Ashton 20 Oct 1689
> > per the parish records of Long Ashton
> This item
> https://archives.bristol.gov.uk/records/AC/36074/163a-b
> states that Hugh and Anne married in 1654
> but it is not clear whether this is the editor's *opinion* or whether the document actually states that itself
The document does not give the date of the marriage. Ann's father John Ashburnham was writing as father in law from 1657 (BA AC/C/74_1-39).
The very unreliable Anton Bantock 'Earlier Smyths of Ashton Court' p 142 also gives 1654 but typically gives no reference. I think '1654?' woud be justified.