Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 04:46:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Cooke of Heene, Field Place, and BARBADOS?
From: vacookes@gmail.com (Jim Cooke)
 by: Jim Cooke - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 11:46 UTC

Greetings.

I hope this query isn’t misplaced on this Forum; I’m afraid it may not fit the timeframe, but I feel this Forum will have answers and advice:

I believe that John Cooke of Barbados, "mariner", listed as "Cpt John Cooke in burial records", was a son of William Cooke, Jr of Heene by 2nd wife Sarah Waterfield Gratwicke. But, as you will see, there are details to iron out:

In short, my question to the Forum:
Is anyone aware of property holdings in West Grinstead by this Cooke family, or their relations:
>Stapletons?
>Paynes?
>Hookers?
>Frys?
>Smyths? (I now think it possible that William Cooke Jr, born 1565, mrd Agnes Smyth in 1586, before marrying Elizabeth Hooker in 1594).

DETAILS:
The will date 3 Apr 1694, St Michael Parish, Barbados, reads:
“Imprimus. I give and bequeath unto my loveing brother Edward Cook living in West Grinstead in Sussex all my estate and interest both real and personal that is now in Jersey to come to him immediately after my decease..”

While I am curious if John meant “colony of New Jersey”, the Virginia crossroads known as “Jersey”, or the Island of Jersey (all are important as to his identity) I am most interested in John’s reference to WEST Grinstead.

NOTE: Edward (born 1618) died in 1691, according to pedigrees in the Visitations, and in Berry (1830), 3 years before John wrote his will. I find no will or death reference in 1691, however.

Nevertheless, my theory is that John was unaware of Edward’s death when he wrote his will in 1694.

John was the 4th son of William “Heene” Cooke, Jr (b1596) by 2nd wife Sarah Waterfield (widow of John Gratwicke), mrd 1625.

Edward, referenced in the Will, was John’s half-brother, Edward (1618-1691), the 1st son of William “Heene” Cooke, Jr by his 1st wife Catherine Payne of EAST Grinstead, mrd 1613.

If I am correct that both John and Edward were sons of William “Heene” Cooke, Jr, then why the reference to WEST Grinstead.

John & Edward’s ancestors were:

The Goring COOKES: They held Heene Manor (acquired in 1557 by Quit Claim from Sir Thos Palmer, Kt to Thomas Cooke).

They also held Field Place & Knell, held as early as 1521, when John Cooke “of the Ffelde in the Parish of Gorynge” devised the same to his son Richard. Both eventually fell to “Edward Cooke, 1st son” of William “Heene” Cooke, Jr.

Heene Farm had come to this lineage from the will of Thomas Cooke “the Elder” of Broadwater (d1520), father of John Cooke of Broadwater (d1557), Thomas Cooke, Esq of Heene (d1573), Edward Cooke, and apparently Henry Cooke of Bexley (d1551), aka “Henry Cooke of Broadwater”.
Thomas (d1520) was in turn son of John Cooke “of Ffelde”.
And, according to a note in the 1570 Visitations (pedigree of Cooke of West Burton), these Cookes were “lineally descended from John Cooke of Wykham, Co. Hants”.

William Jr's cousin, Richard, acquired "Shipley", according to the Visitations, and that is just west of W Grinstead.

The PAYNES: The Visitations show that they were from East Grinstead.

The HOOKERS: Edward and John’s grandparents were William “Heene” Cooke (1565-1597) and Elizabeth Hooker, daughter of Robert Hooker of “__?__” (the Visitations are silent on this location).
Where were these Hookers from?
I recently found reference to "Hooker's Farm" near Twineham, but would that have been considered "West Grinstead". As the crow flies, it is located 5 miles west of W Grinstead.

The STAPLETONS: Edward and John were great-grandsons of John Cooke (ca1535-before 1573) and Margaret Stapleton, daughter of William Stapleton of Pageham, and gr-gr grandsons of Thomas Cooke, Esq of Heene (ca1515-1573). Thomas’ wife is unknown. Thomas held Heene Manor, and “Montome Farm”, which I believe was “Muntham Farm”, among other holdings.

AND, SO, surely John "the Mariner" Cooke knew the difference between WEST and EAST Grinstead?? Why then did he state that Edward was living in West Grinstead?

Did the Frys have holdings there?
Edward Cooke (d1691) mrd 1646 Katherine Fry, daughter of Thomas Fry of Battlehurst, Kirdford.

Edward (1st son, d1691) and Katherine Fry had at least two sons:
• John (1646-1726) “M.P.” Cooke, and Edward, Jr (1649-1672).

Edward, Jr held “Heene” (this is proved by various suit [Cooke v Luxford, Cooke v Cooke, Cooke v Arnold, Cooke v Butler, Arnold V Creswell, all filed between 1669-1678] . Because Edward predeceased his father in 1672, and held Heene, it would appear Heene had been conveyed to him. Edward Jr’s widow remarried to Richard Creswell, and “Heene” was sold to James Butler in 1683 BEFORE Edward Cooke, Sr’s 1691 death.

Field Place, while I am not sure when John (1648-1726) acquired, passed to his sister Frances, who mrd John Monke, and sold the estate to the Westbrooks and Richardsons ca1730.

My point?
• Heene was sold out in 1683 by widow of son Edward Cooke, Jr (1649-1672);
• Field Place was sold out after Edward Cooke Sr 1691 death, but it is clearly NOT in West Grinstead;
• What, if any, holdings did he have in WEST Grinstead? Perhaps an estate that came to him via marriage, or came to him via the Stapletons, Hookers, or Paynes?

Sorry so lengthy and convoluted.

Any help appreciated.

Jim Cooke

Re: Cooke of Heene, Field Place, and BARBADOS?

<751630b9-d32b-4b98-82b0-3c1c6332351fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7424&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7424

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 08:21:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Cooke of Heene, Field Place, and BARBADOS?
From: wjhonson.2014@gmail.com (Will Johnson)
 by: Will Johnson - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 15:21 UTC

On Saturday, August 26, 2023 at 4:46:31 AM UTC-7, Jim Cooke wrote:
> [...]
>
> Field Place, while I am not sure when John (1648-1726) acquired, passed to his sister Frances, who mrd John Monke, and sold the estate to the Westbrooks and Richardsons ca1730.
>
> My point?
> • Heene was sold out in 1683 by widow of son Edward Cooke, Jr (1649-1672);
> • Field Place was sold out after Edward Cooke Sr 1691 death, but it is clearly NOT in West Grinstead;
> • What, if any, holdings did he have in WEST Grinstead? Perhaps an estate that came to him via marriage, or came to him via the Stapletons, Hookers, or Paynes?

William Cooke of Heene was born 11 Aug 1597, his father was born Dec 1564 as he was heir of his grandfather d 1573 then "aged 8y2m" per that IPM

What is your source that he married in 1613?

Re: Cooke of Heene, Field Place, and BARBADOS?

<e9f5e1aa-fcb3-43b3-97c3-7a74d9a21863n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7425&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7425

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 08:42:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: wjhonson.2014@gmail.com (Will Johnson)
 by: Will Johnson - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 15:42 UTC

On Sunday, August 27, 2023 at 8:21:55 AM UTC-7, Will Johnson wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Field Place, while I am not sure when John (1648-1726) acquired, passed to his sister Frances, who mrd John Monke, and sold the estate to the Westbrooks and Richardsons ca1730.
> >
> > My point?
> > • Heene was sold out in 1683 by widow of son Edward Cooke, Jr (1649-1672);
> > • Field Place was sold out after Edward Cooke Sr 1691 death, but it is clearly NOT in West Grinstead;
> > • What, if any, holdings did he have in WEST Grinstead? Perhaps an estate that came to him via marriage, or came to him via the Stapletons, Hookers, or Paynes?
> >
> > Sorry so lengthy and convoluted.
> >
> > Any help appreciated.
> >
> > Jim Cooke
> William Cooke of Heene was born 11 Aug 1597, his father was born Dec 1564 as he was heir of his grandfather d 1573 then "aged 8y2m" per that IPM
>
> What is your source that he married in 1613?

I mispoke when I said he was born 11 Aug 1597, it was actually 11 Aug 1596

I have now found the marriage record to Catherine Payne
West Hoathly, Sussex

and then the baptism of their son Edward
East Grinstead, Sussex