Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 07:53:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Sir John Stile/Style d. 1500
From: malvinmmitchell@gmail.com (Mal Mitchell)
 by: Mal Mitchell - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 14:53 UTC

On Monday, 31 January 2011 at 20:05:38 UTC, WJho...@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 1/31/2011 7:41:29 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> monica....@gmail.com writes:
> > Would it have been usual, if her John Stile of Langley/Beckingham was
> > the one in Spain, for them to move to Plymouth? Any chance the
> > children were named in his letters from abroad?
> >
> Actually in his letter, written FROM Spain, he states that his "wife and
> children" and THEN living in Plymouth. And destitute or something to that
> effect, not able to support themselves on the few shillings they get etc etc.
> We could perhaps assume that they moved to Plymouth in order to be close to
> where a ship might dock... coming from Spain... or something like that.
> Makes some kind of sense. Doesn't mean there's any evidence for it.
> There does seem to be some kind of source, fuzzy, that tries to make him
> the same man *mentioned* in some role in the Low Countries in 1528 which would
> rule him out as the man whose widow married again to a man who died testate
> in 1527!
> So either we have an earlier one, or we must have a later one. I don't
> know exactly how to resolve this. I think it was mentioned in another thread a
> while ago. And there seems to some problem the various daughters of this
> man or these two men, calling them "heiress" or "co-heiress" at times.
> So perhaps tracking down the sources for calling the daughters "heiress"
> might firm up the time-line and number of daughters, which would then seperate
> the *man* into two *men* or whatever.
> It's still fuzzy. Apparently in the 1527 will he mentions his
> step-daughter, so tracking that down exactly might help as well.
> Will

John Stile of Langley died in 1505 and his will is viewable via Prerogative Court of Canterbury records which mentions Langley and Bekynham sic. The John Stile who was ambassador lived on for some considerable time. Maybe the ambassador Stile was an uncle or cousin of the Langley one but difficult to establish any relationship. Humphrey Stile was the surviving son, I believe there was a son John mentioned in the 1505 will but both sons were minors at Stile's death. John Stile's widow Elizabeth married secondly James Yarford who had been a witness to Stile's will. There was some scandal as John Stile was convicted then acquitted of the murder of Elizabeth Fincham over the possession of Kent House as Stile had lent henry Fincham £100 which he failed to repay. There were other 'John Stiles' around this time which add to the confusion and Stile was said to be a common name.
Humphrey is said to have been a squire of the body to Henry VIII but I can't find corroborating evidence. A Sir John Stile died at Greenwich (1527?)
www.beckenhamplaceparkfriends.org.uk for additional info on history pages