From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Subject: Magnae Expectationes, Carolus Dickens
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 20:10:20 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 20:10 UTC

Hominum ordines; quomodo differunt, transitio ex uno in alterum, ubi
iacet cor, quomodo se spoliant, cur denique exsistunt.
Scriptores Russici fuerunt magistri huius thematis; Tolstoius,
Dostoevskius, Maximus Gorky.
Sed unus liber inter alios mea opinione eminet. Atque ingenium magnum
eum scripsit.
Quare tantam vim possidet? Quia scriptor id iter ipse fecit, ea via
vitae incessit.

Edus

Re: Magnae Expectationes, Carolus Dickens

<ukgbrs$2hdkg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=759&group=alt.language.latin#759

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Subject: Re: Magnae Expectationes, Carolus Dickens
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 22:41:31 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 22:41 UTC

henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, November 25, 2023 at 12:11:07 PM UTC-8, Ed Cryer wrote:
>> Hominum ordines; quomodo differunt, transitio ex uno in alterum, ubi
>> iacet cor, quomodo se spoliant, cur denique exsistunt.
>> Scriptores Russici fuerunt magistri huius thematis; Tolstoius, Dostoevskius, Maximus Gorky.
>> Sed unus liber inter alios mea opinione eminet. Atque ingenium magnum
>> eum scripsit.
>> Quare tantam vim possidet? Quia scriptor id iter ipse fecit, ea via vitae incessit.
>>
>> Edus
>

> [Great Expectations] --------- one scene i like is where throngs of poor (?) ppl are begging for the Lawyer's help.
>
> ---------------- i'd have to think that Something like this never occurred in real life.

Poor working-class saps getting used and abused by the middle-classes
was probably a daily occurrence in Dickens' day.
So many of Dickens' novels have fortunes built from crime and
exploitation. My own favourite is the huge rubbish-heaps in "Our Mutual
Friend".
Ed

Re: Magnae Expectationes, Carolus Dickens

<ukir5i$319dc$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=767&group=alt.language.latin#767

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 21:15:12 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 21:15 UTC

henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>

> -------------------------- tell me about novels or poems in which the Bridegroom doesn't show up on the Wedding day. (as in Great Expectations by Dickens)
>
> __________________ bard.google.com says ___________
>

> Sure, here are some novels and poems in which the bridegroom doesn't show up on the wedding day, similar to the story of Miss Havisham in Charles Dickens' "Great Expectations":
>
> 1. "The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne (1850): This classic American novel tells the story of Hester Prynne, a young woman who is forced to wear a scarlet letter "A" as punishment for adultery. Hester's husband, Roger Chillingworth, mysteriously disappears and returns years later, seeking revenge on the man who impregnated his wife.
>
> 2. "The House of the Seven Gables" by Nathaniel Hawthorne (1851): Another novel by Nathaniel Hawthorne, this story revolves around the Pyncheon family, who are haunted by a curse that has plagued their generations. The novel explores themes of guilt, inheritance, and the power of the past.
>
> 3. "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Brontë (1847): This gothic novel tells the story of Jane Eyre, a young orphan who is raised in harsh conditions and eventually becomes a governess for the Rochester family. Jane's life takes a dramatic turn when she falls in love with her employer, Edward Rochester, only to discover that he is secretly married to a woman who is locked away in his attic.
>
> 4. "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (1908): This children's novel follows the adventures of four animal friends - Mole, Rat, Badger, and Toad - as they navigate the challenges and joys of life along the riverbank. While not directly centered on a jilted bride, the novel does feature a character named Cyril Grahame, a shrew who is left at the altar by his fiancée.
>
> 5. "The Ballad of the Deserted Maidens" by Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1832): This narrative poem tells the story of a group of women who are left behind by their lovers who have gone off to fight in the Crimean War. The poem explores themes of love, loss, and betrayal.
>

> In addition to these novels, there are many poems that explore the theme of a jilted bride. Here are a few examples:
>
> -- "The Deserted Wife" by Mary Shelley (1816): This poem tells the story of a woman who is abandoned by her husband on their wedding day. The poem is a powerful and moving exploration of female grief and loss.
>
> -- "The Bridegroom Dicked" by Edna St. Vincent Millay (1921): This poem is a more lighthearted take on the theme of a jilted bride. The poem is a humorous and irreverent look at the expectations and pressures of marriage.
>
> -- "Jilted" by Gwendolyn Brooks (1953): This poem is a powerful and evocative exploration of the pain of rejection. The poem is written in the first person and gives voice to the woman who has been left behind.

Have you ever read a novel where a man spontaneously combusts, as in
Dickens' "Bleak House"?
Ed