Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 09:31:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Duncan Dundas of Newliston, Lord Lyon, Identification Issue
From: dulongj@habitant.org (JPD)
 by: JPD - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 16:31 UTC

Sir Gavin Maxwell of Calderwood had as his first wife Agnes, daughter of Duncan of Dundas. For a number of reasons, I suspect that Duncan of Dundas is Duncan Dundas of Newliston, the Lord Lyon King of Arms. Just one tiny little problem in this identification.

On 10 February 1489 a traunsumpt (copy) of charters was made at the request of Elizabeth Lowys, the second wife of Gavin, to ensure these documents were accessible for her children. These documents were in the custody of Duncan of Dundas, the father of her husband’s first wife. A transcription of this traunsumpt was published in Fraser’s Fraser, Memoirs of the Maxwells of Pollok, 1:200. So far, so good.

Now the spoiler: Duncan Dundas and his son William were murdered before 6 July 1494. See Reg. Sec. Sig., 1:6 items 35 and 36. As you can imagine, it is difficult for a corps to be dead in 1494 and deliver documents in 1489. However, I am wondering if the Latin can be read by someone more skilled than I to see if Duncan was present at the copying of the document or is just mentioned. His son Archibald of Dundas was mentioned being present near the end of the document.

The document in question can be viewed at https://archive.org/details/memoirsofmaxwev100fras/page/200/mode/1up.

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to confirm whether or not Duncan Dundas, the Lord Lyon King of Arms, is an ancestor of my wife because of my fascination with heraldry.