Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love. -- Charlie Brown

interests / soc.genealogy.medieval / Re: C.P. Correction: Elizabeth le Despenser, wife of Sir Ralph de Camoys, Lord Camoys

SubjectAuthor
* C.P. Correction: Elizabeth le Despenser, wife of Sir Ralph delancast...@gmail.com
`- C.P. Correction: Elizabeth le Despenser, wife of Sir Ralph detaf

1
Re: C.P. Correction: Elizabeth le Despenser, wife of Sir Ralph de Camoys, Lord Camoys

<282764c7-ca18-4b96-bf46-a2454bf54204n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7890&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7890

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 07:56:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: C.P. Correction: Elizabeth le Despenser, wife of Sir Ralph de
Camoys, Lord Camoys
From: lancaster.boon@gmail.com (lancast...@gmail.com)
 by: lancast...@gmail.com - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 14:56 UTC

On Sunday, January 7, 2007 at 3:18:19 PM UTC+1, Douglas Richardson wrote:
> [...]
> Lewknor-became his heirs. (fn. 124) The manor thus became divided
> into moieties. Dealing first with that portion which passed to Margaret
> Rademilde, her husband Ralph, who outlived her, is found in possession
> of her share at his death in 1443. (fn. 125) No mention of Honydon is
> found in the inquisition taken as to the property of Robert son of
> Ralph Rademilde, who died in 1456, leaving a son William. (fn. 126)
> William Rademilde's name occurs as a commissioner of the peace for
> Sussex between the years 1476 and 1485 (fn. 127) ; but there is no
> evidence that he held the Honydon property, whose history at this date
> becomes confused. In 1476 Robert and John Spence were farming
> Honydon-then apparently in the hands of the Crown-for 106s. 8d.,
> (fn. 128) and in 1483 a commission was sent to the 'tenaunts of the
> manoir' to accept J. Whitloke as their lord and to content unto him
> their dues. (fn. 129) Camoys or Honydon Manor next appears as the
> property of Avery Michell, who in 1557 leased it for twenty-one years
> at a rent of £12 to Nicholas Fitz Hugh, who in 1570 brought an action
> against William Morgan, representing Avery. Nicholas complained that
> owing to his sickness whilst in Warwickshire there had been some delay
> in the payments of the rent, and his lease had been transferred to
> William Gery. (fn. 130) In 1577 John Michell alienated Honydon to
> Oliver Lord St. John, (fn. 131) who in the same year received the other
> moiety of the manor, whose history may here be conveniently traced.
> Eleanor Lewknor's moiety passed to her son Roger, whose two daughters
> each inherited one-fourth of the manor. Of these daughters one married
> Sir Arthur Poole. (fn. 132) Lady Joanna Poole suffered a recovery of
> Honydon in 1557, (fn. 133) and her fourth share appears to have passed
> to Thomas Foster and others, who in 1576 alienated it to Lord St. John.
> (fn. 134) Catherine second daughter of Roger Lewknor married John Mill,
> and her son Lewknor Mill (fn. 135) in 1577 also alienated her share to
> Oliver Lord St. John, (fn. 136) who had now acquired the complete
> manor. He did not long retain it, however, but alienated it in 1580 to
> Thomas Anscell. (fn. 137) About this time the manor was again broken
> up.
> Footnotes:
> 119 Feud. Aids, i, 15; Chan. Inq. p.m. 5 Hen. V, no. 25.
> 120 Feud. Aids, i, 15.
> 121 Roberts, Cal. Gen. ii, 622.
> 122 Close, 13 Ric. II, pt. ii, m. 12.
> 123 Chan. Inq. p.m. 5 Hen. V, no. 25, 26.
> 124 Ibid.
> 125 Ibid. 21 Hen. VI, no. 34.
> 126 Ibid. 35 Hen. VI, no. 15.
> 127 Cal. Pat. 1476-85, passim.
> 128 Mins. Accts. bdle. 1120, no. 4.
> 129 Harl. MS. 433.
> 130 Ct. of Req. bdle. 96, no. 43.
> 131 Com. Pleas D. Enr. Trin. 19 Eliz.; Recov. R. Trin. 1577.
> 132 Berry, Sussex Gen. 130. Her name is given here as Eleanor.

Commenting on old post. Maybe this has already been covered by someone else.. The reference here to VCH cites Roberts, and I found that source here: https://archive.org/details/CalendariumGenealogicum.HenryIiiAndEdwardI.Volume2.1865/page/n173/mode/2up

It is an excerpt from an IPM, which we can see a more detailed English summary of here https://www.british-history.ac.uk/inquis-post-mortem/vol4/pp54-67

Unless I am reading it wrong, the Margaret who is the widow of John Camoys is NOT the same as the Margaret who is a sister and heir of William de Kirkeby. His sister is the wife of Walter de Osevill who is clearly alive. The Camoys widow on the other hand was holding land at Orewell by dowry and I am thinking it was therefore Camoys land.

This does not necessarily change any conclusions about the case which was being discussed, but it might also be relevant to other connections

Re: C.P. Correction: Elizabeth le Despenser, wife of Sir Ralph de Camoys, Lord Camoys

<b29c0ece-ad1b-498c-85f8-7833ea5f4475n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7893&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7893

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 12:24:26 -0700 (PDT)
Camoys, Lord Camoys
From: taf.medieval@gmail.com (taf)
 by: taf - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 19:24 UTC

On Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 7:56:59 AM UTC-7, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:

> Commenting on old post. Maybe this has already been covered by someone else. The reference here to VCH cites Roberts, and I found that source here: https://archive.org/details/CalendariumGenealogicum.HenryIiiAndEdwardI.Volume2.1865/page/n173/mode/2up
>
> It is an excerpt from an IPM, which we can see a more detailed English summary of here https://www.british-history.ac.uk/inquis-post-mortem/vol4/pp54-67

For those who prefer a page-image format, and can view it,
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=njp.32101023300583&view=1up&seq=102

> Unless I am reading it wrong, the Margaret who is the widow of John Camoys is NOT the same as the Margaret who is a sister and heir of William de Kirkeby. His sister is the wife of Walter de Osevill who is clearly alive. The Camoys widow on the other hand was holding land at Orewell by dowry and I am thinking it was therefore Camoys land.

I agree with your interpretation of the document, although there is some variability with regard to how the sister is referred: Margaret de Hotthorp, Margaret wife of Walter de Osevile, Margaret, wife of Walter de Dosevill, Margaret Dosevill, Walter Dosevill and Margaret his wife. Clearly the first is the outlier, perhaps reflecting memory of an earlier marriage. The identification of the Camoys widow with the Kirkeby sister appears to trace back, at least, to Herbert C Andrews (1911), "A Thirteenth-Century Social Scandal", The Antiquary, 47:262-4, the historical description of which seems to require substantial revision in light of this more likely reading of the ipm.
https://books.google.com/books?id=TdprtVo3bG0C&pg=PA263&lpg=PA262

taf