Ain't no right way to do a wrong thing. -- The Mad Dogtender

interests / soc.genealogy.medieval / Re: Collectanea Genealogica: Bodleian Library, Oxford Mss

SubjectAuthor
* Collectanea Genealogica: Bodleian Library, Oxford MssWill Johnson
`* Collectanea Genealogica: Bodleian Library, Oxford MssSaba Risaluddin
 `- Collectanea Genealogica: Bodleian Library, Oxford MssSaba Risaluddin

1
Re: Collectanea Genealogica: Bodleian Library, Oxford Mss

<7878e6ba-a90d-4e4f-bf9e-002dfcd323a6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7935&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7935

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 18:19:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Collectanea Genealogica: Bodleian Library, Oxford Mss
From: wjhonson.2014@gmail.com (Will Johnson)
 by: Will Johnson - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 01:19 UTC

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 6:24:34 AM UTC-8, John Watson wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > Hi John
> > > thank you so much for this, your help is very much appreciated.
> > > Regards
> > > Saba
> >
> > Whilst we are on the subject of the Lascelles family of Sowerby. Does anyone know how William Lascelles of Sowerby was in possession of one third of the manor of Tuxford, Nottinghamshire when he died in 1416.
> > See his widow's ipm:
> > http://www.inquisitionspostmortem.ac.uk/view/inquisition/21-077/
> >
> > and his son's ipm:
> > http://www.inquisitionspostmortem.ac.uk/view/inquisition/26-503/
> >
> > Presumably his mother was an heiress of this moiety of Tuxford, but I can't work out how. Apparently Thoroton couldn't work it out either.
> > http://www.british-history.ac.uk/thoroton-notts/vol3/pp219-226
> >
> > Regards,
> > John
> I've now worked out part of the answer. Joan wife of William Lascelles of Sowerby was Joan Rocliffe, daughter of Richard Rocliffe and his wife Elizabeth. In 1407, she was heiress of her brother Sir David Rocliffe (although his ipm erroneously gives her name as Maud).(CIPM, 19, No. 161).
>
> The manor of Tuxford, Nottinghamshire was divided between the three daughters and co-heirs of Robert de Markham who died in 1289. One of these daughters, Agnes married William de Saint Cruce who died in 1295, leaving three daughters and co-heirs, each of whom held one third of one third of the manor of Tuxford.
>
> It was one of these 1/9 shares of the manor that was held by Joan Lascelles at her death in 1418, but which one?
>
> The three daughters of William de Saint Cruce and Agnes de Markham were:
>
> Joan, who married firstly John de Bayeux (Baiocis) and secondly Robert de Hackthorn.
>
> Margery who married Peter Foun. Her daughter Elizabeth married Thomas de Mering. Their son Alexander de Mering was holding this share of the manor in 1417 (CP 25/1/186/38, number 6)
>
> Elizabeth who married John de Barkworth. Her grand-daughter Joan de Barkworth (heiress of her brother John in 1354) married Simon de Burgh. They apparently had no children. In 1377, they granted their 1/9 share of the manor to Sir Robert de Swillington (CPR, 1374-1377, 456). This share of Tuxford is not recorded at Robert de Swillington's ipm in 1391 (CIPM, xvii, no. 123), so presumably he granted it to someone else.
>
> In 1351, Robert de Rocliffe and his wife Elizabeth were pardoned for acquiring in tail from Henry de Bayhous [Bayeux] the manor of Little Markham, which is a third part of one third part of the manor of Tuxford, held in chief (CPR, 1350-1354, 177).
>
> So it appears that the share of Tuxford held by the Lascelles of Sowerby family was the share of Joan de Saint Cruce who married John de Bayeux. Possibly it was Joan's son Henry de Bayeux who enfeoffed Richard de Rocliffe and his wife Elizabeth. Was Elizabeth his sister or his daughter?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Collectanea Genealogica: Bodleian Library, Oxford Mss

<48e481e5-c263-4dc4-a5c6-f98968bc5e6en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7936&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7936

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 19:40:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: sabarisaluddin0@gmail.com (Saba Risaluddin)
 by: Saba Risaluddin - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 02:40 UTC

<84a5a839-376a-4b50-be97-c567afffcc95n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7937&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#7937

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 20:45:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: sabarisaluddin0@gmail.com (Saba Risaluddin)
 by: Saba Risaluddin - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 03:45 UTC