If you learn one useless thing every day, in a single year you'll learn 365 useless things.

interests / soc.genealogy.medieval / Re: Yeo or Fortescue wife of John Croker

SubjectAuthor
* Yeo or Fortescue wife of John CrokerBetty Gorrie
`- Yeo or Fortescue wife of John CrokerBetty Gorrie

1
Re: Yeo or Fortescue wife of John Croker

<6a76c569-5626-40e4-91a1-c4a5477da8f3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8034&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8034

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 12:31:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Yeo or Fortescue wife of John Croker
From: gorriebetty@gmail.com (Betty Gorrie)
 by: Betty Gorrie - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:31 UTC

On Friday, December 4, 2020 at 10:05:49 PM UTC-8, Loren Varga wrote:
> Dear Group:
> Sir John Croker of Lineham in some pedigrees is shown as having two wives.. One Elizabeth Fortescue daughter of Richard Fortescue of Punsbourne and Elizabeth Yeo daughter of Robert Yeo.
>
> According to the Yeo Family Society Elizabeth Yeo was only in her 20's when her father contracted a marriage with John Croker who was in his 70's.
>
> I have seen also a pedigree where the above Elizabeth's are given as separate wives to two John Croker's.
>
> Can anyone enlighten me as to the current though of which wife was the mother of John Croker,Jr who died in 1520 and married Elizabeth Pollard?
>
> Regards:
> Loren
> :
In the Inquisition, he is noted as having married Elizabeth Yeo in 1507. She was born about 1482, and basically was sold to the Croker family in hopes of a great use of the lands of John and perhaps John's son as his wife Ann was dsp. However, John senior died 1508. So you can see why Elizabeth Yeo is not the mother of John's son, who was married to Ann who died in 1507. That son John was in fact over 50 years old. I am currently working on this issue, as Elizabeth Fortescue was a widow when she married John the father. She could be the mother of said son John, but there are other references in a lot of material that says that the father married the Heiress of Dawney. Now about that time, Emmeline Dawney the heiress of John Dawney married Courtenay. So it definitely was not her.

The son who married Anne Arundel who died 1507 subsequently married Elizabeth Pollard who was the mother of the future generation. People say that Vivian's Visitations is the best, except he has Elizabeth Yeo as being the mother of the son, which is impossible, as he was 49 at the time of their marriage. So I am still doing my due diligence on Elizabeth Fortescue as the mother, so jury is still out.

There are lots of issues with the wives of Croker before this time, and Vivian has chosen not to show any of them. One of the wives, Alice Gambon, daughter of John Gambon of Lyneham is said by the History of Parliament, John Croker MP 1394 , has most likely a mother Agnes Churchill. In Collin's Peerage Vol 1, he says that Giles Churchill was the Lord of Lyneham, and that AT LAST the Croker's inherited it. So I am pretty solid on that one. Giles was the 2nd son, with the 3rd son being the ancestor of Winston Churchill.

In the Parish of Plymton Erle, it says that the wife of the one before that was the Heiress of Corim. The History of Parliament calls her Joan. So that pretty much wraps that generation. By her he got the Manor of Hemedon, which did find its way down stream in the family.

Cheers, BettyG

Re: Yeo or Fortescue wife of John Croker

<a2995ca1-5403-4542-ae0e-2296565d54b2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8035&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8035

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 12:41:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: gorriebetty@gmail.com (Betty Gorrie)
 by: Betty Gorrie - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:41 UTC

On Thursday, October 26, 2023 at 12:31:09 PM UTC-7, Betty Gorrie wrote:
> On Friday, December 4, 2020 at 10:05:49 PM UTC-8, Loren Varga wrote:
> > Dear Group:
> > Sir John Croker of Lineham in some pedigrees is shown as having two wives. One Elizabeth Fortescue daughter of Richard Fortescue of Punsbourne and Elizabeth Yeo daughter of Robert Yeo.
> >
> > According to the Yeo Family Society Elizabeth Yeo was only in her 20's when her father contracted a marriage with John Croker who was in his 70's.
> >
> > I have seen also a pedigree where the above Elizabeth's are given as separate wives to two John Croker's.
> >
> > Can anyone enlighten me as to the current though of which wife was the mother of John Croker,Jr who died in 1520 and married Elizabeth Pollard?
> >
> > Regards:
> > Loren
> > :
>
> Loren and all, I just noticed that John Churchill, older brother of Giles, by Elias was married to Jane Dawney, coheiress of Roger Dawney. I would think that this is where the heiress of Dawney came in. I can't see any other sources for that statement in Families of Maryland. This John Churchill and Jane Dawney came from Collins Peerages, Vol 1 at 363

Betty G