Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 15:13:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Gigatrees update
From: tjforsythe@gmail.com (Tim Forsythe)
 by: Tim Forsythe - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 23:13 UTC

Attention genealogists, I've just released an end-of-year update to Gigatrees, my completely FREE family tree website generator, now in active development for 25 years. No registration or installation necessary, just download and go. If you’ve not used Gigatrees before, it runs on Windows (or on a Mac in a Bootcamp partition) is configured using XML files, loads any GEDCOM file and spits out either an SQLite3 database for online hosting or HTML files for desktop viewing.

It has loads of features (many not found anywhere else) and configurable options, too many to discuss here, but a complete user guide can be found online at https://gigatrees.com. Check out the overview for a detailed rundown.. There is also a blog with lots of examples. In addition, my public tree at https://timforsythe.com/greybeard demonstrates many of its features.

Serious genealogists will appreciate the support for source categories and their use in determining reliability assessments for individual claims, especially parental claims. Medieval genealogists will appreciate descendant lists that include relevant sources and reliability assessments for ancestral claims. They will also like that it does automatic consanguinity determination for all spouses.

My favorite features are the data consistency validator which highlights impossible and improbable claims by comparing dated events between closely related individuals, and the DNA charts, which display all DNA matches from their most recent common ancestor. Think Ancestry’s Thrulines but better.

It also makes a great stocking stuffer.

Did I mention it’s completely FREE.

Tim Forsythe
https://gigatrees.com