If God had intended Man to Walk, He would have given him Feet.

interests / soc.genealogy.medieval / Raleigh, Sir John of Combsleigh Daughtet married St. Aubyn

SubjectAuthor
* Raleigh, Sir John of Combsleigh Daughtet married St. AubynBetty Gorrie
`- Raleigh, Sir John of Combsleigh Daughtet married St. Aubyntaf

1
Raleigh, Sir John of Combsleigh Daughtet married St. Aubyn

<8aff50d5-a6c7-4fec-ab4a-680288253623n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8165&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8165

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:34:39 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Raleigh, Sir John of Combsleigh Daughtet married St. Aubyn
From: gorriebetty@gmail.com (Betty Gorrie)
 by: Betty Gorrie - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 00:34 UTC

I have this from the Cornwall Visitation 1620 St. Aubyn

I cannot find any Raleigh of Combsleigh, or in fact any Combsleigh at all. I would assume this is Withecombe Raleigh, but I cannot find this person amongs them.

Now if anyone doesn't know there is a great article TDA # 32 from 309 to 340 about the genealogy of Sir Walter Raleigh, but unfortunately, they do not stray into branches at all.

Has anyone seen this fellow at al? Thanks.

Betty

Re: Raleigh, Sir John of Combsleigh Daughtet married St. Aubyn

<ebe39451-4d3f-4e03-ab1a-c06579e8ffban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8171&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8171

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 11:44:35 -0800 (PST)
From: taf.medieval@gmail.com (taf)
 by: taf - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 19:44 UTC

On Friday, December 15, 2023 at 4:34:41 PM UTC-8, Betty Gorrie wrote:
> I have this from the Cornwall Visitation 1620 St. Aubyn
>
> I cannot find any Raleigh of Combsleigh, or in fact any Combsleigh at all.. I would assume this is Withecombe Raleigh, but I cannot find this person amongs them.
>
> Now if anyone doesn't know there is a great article TDA # 32 from 309 to 340 about the genealogy of Sir Walter Raleigh, but unfortunately, they do not stray into branches at all.
>
> Has anyone seen this fellow at al? Thanks.

This information is not in the 1620 Cornwall visitation, where the St Aubyn pedigree commences several generations after the marriage in question. It probably was taken from the St Aubyn pedigree in Vivian's misleadingly-named The Visitations of Cornwall, which took the recorded visitations and added a lot of information from other sources. This reports that Sir Thomas St Aubyn, who died at "Comberaleigh", married "Alice, da. & coh. of Sir John Raleigh, Kt. of Comberaleigh". No date is given, but Thomas' father was active early in the reign of Edward III, and his son died in 1383, so we are talking early-to-mid 14th century. For this information he cites "Pole's Devonshire".
https://books.google.com/books?id=t0U7AQAAIAAJ&pg=PA437

Looking at Pole, we find in the account of 'Comberalegh' (modern Combe Raleigh) on pp. 131-132:
https://books.google.com/books?id=WF4OAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA131

"COMBRALEGH parish lieth in Axminster hundred. This place hath often altered his name, first named Cumb ʃinglely, after Cumb Baunton, & Comb Mathew, of the Dwellers. I finde Colinus de Cumba held this land in Kinge Henry 2 tyme, & Sr Mathew de Baunton, held it in Kinge Henry 3 tyme, & after John de Baunton; & in the latter end of Kinge Edw. 1, Jone Bonvill held the ʃame; & in Kinge Edw. 2 tyme Walter de Sutton; & after him Sr John Ralegh, of Beaudport, removed his dwellinge unto this place; whereuppon it tooke ye addicion of Ralegh, & contyneweth yt name unto this day. Sr John Ralegh, Kt, had iʃʃue Alis, wief of St Thomas Sant Awbyn, . . ."

More on these Raleghs appears under 'Strete Ralegh', on p. 161:

"This howʃe of Ralegh is a peculiar famyly from the others of Ralegh, Smalridge, Warklegh, Charnes, & Netelcomb, & beareth a peculiar coate of armes, differinge from the reʃt; but is the fame of Beaudport and Comb Ralegh, wch did alʃoe belonge unto this famyly, wch was a famyly of itself from Kinge Henry 2 tyme unto Kinge Edw. 3, when it fail'd in a daughter, maried unto St Awbyn."
.. . .
"The firʃt Ralegh yt I finde to have had this land was in Kinge Henry 3 tyme named Sr Henry de Ralegh, unto whom ʃucceeded Sr Henry de Ralegh de Strete, & Sr Henry de Ralegh the third, whom did followe Sr John de Ralegh, of Beaudport, Kt, & Sir John Ralegh, ye last of yt famyly, wch had iffue Alis, wief of St Thomas St Awbyn, . . ."

taf