https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8175&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8175

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 07:50:53 -0800 (PST)
References: <mailman.908.1396825804.32183.gen-medieval@rootsweb.com> <mailman.10.1396854568.32184.gen-medieval@rootsweb.com> <2691ac1c-15f9-4f0d-a502-168e4aebfbfa@googlegroups.com> <c86a1b43-74c5-42be-8707-6bbf6e7b23a9@googlegroups.com> <ef2056d9-46a4-44b2-a7ec-0156652b986c@googlegroups.com> <4b208f86-eaa7-42ae-a252-0844298d2554@googlegroups.com> <af8c0183-6922-4c99-9d83-ad488e6a7779@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Sir John Dalmahoy of that Ilk, "near kinsman on the father's side"
From: robert53e@gmail.com (Robert)
 by: Robert - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 15:50 UTC

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 at 3:30:02 PM UTC-7, Steve Wilson wrote:
> According to the 'Dalmahoy of Dalmahoy' book (books.google.com/books?id=pXxJAAAAYAAJ), Sir John Dalmahoy was the son of the first marriage:
>
> "11. ALEXANDER DALMAHOY, of Dalmahoy. He married Agnes, daughter of Sir James Hamilton, of Fynant [sic] [Charter 1557], and had a son by this marriage:
>
> JOHN DALMAHOY.
>
> He married, secondly, Agnes Heriot, a daughter of --- Heriot, of Trabroun, and they had issue:
>
> MARGARET DALMAHOY, who married Robert Fairlie, son and apparent heir of Alexander Fairlie, of Braid [Charter under the great Seal, 1601]"
>
> No authority is cited to support the statement that Sir John Dalmahoy was a son of the first marriage. Given the 1611 date of his first and only marriage, and the 1601 and 1605/6 marriage dates of his sisters from their father's second marriage, I suspect he may have also been born of the second marriage.
>
> The other brother, not mentioned in the Dalmahoy book, Thomas Dalmahoy of Birksneip/Watterstoun, appears in charters of 1 Mar 1621 and 1 Mar 1643. As I can find no earlier record of him, I wonder if he isn't also a son of his father's second marriage.
>
> As far as the Lindsays of Lochhill are concerned, I show Sir Bernard Lindsay as the eldest son of Thomas Lindsay in Leith who died sometime between 15 Oct 1594, when he was Snawdoun Herald at the Court of the Lord Lyon, and 6 Jul 1607, when his daughters were provided a pension by the Crown. Thomas Lindsay also had sons Thomas (who apparently died in the 1580s) and Robert (who married Janet Acheson and settled in Loughry, County Tyrone), as well as daughters Agnes and Elizabeth.
>
> Sir Bernard's son Lt. Col. Bernard (b. 1603) married Rachel Lindsay, the daughter of Sir Jerome Lindsay of Annatland and Agnes Lindsay. Sir Jerome was the son of David Lindsay, Bishop of Ross, and grandson of Alexander Lindsay of the Edzell/Crawford family. Agnes Lindsay was the daughter of Sir David Lindsay of the Mount, descended from the Byres family. Sir Jerome and Sir David Lindsay were both Lyon Kings. I have seen suggestions that Thomas Lindsay was the younger brother of David, Bishop of Ross, or, alternatively, descended from the Lindsays of the Mount -- neither of which have any concrete evidence to back them up.

Note: I think that you very well may find links to the Lindsays discussed in the last paragraph of this message from Steve Wilson with data from the list and details of the British settlers of the Ulster Plantation (what is now Northern Ireland). There is mention there of Sir Bernard Lindsay, Jerome Lindsay (Esq.) and Robert Lindsay (as well it would seem Robert's son, also Robert Lindsay). There are also references to the Lindsay Estate, just east of Cookstown in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland.
You can type in Lindsay under the Heading: People, to retrieve details on 6 Lindsays from the list of over 14,000 settlers.