Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 14:19:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Mawd, Mawde, Maud, Maude, Mahaut, Montealto name in Yorkshire
From: emsley13@gmail.com (Teresa Emsley)
 by: Teresa Emsley - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 22:19 UTC

On Sunday 8 September 2013 at 09:04:09 UTC+1, madscientist66 wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 August 2012 09:46:41 UTC+10, Steve Riggan wrote:
> > Dear Newsgroup:
> >
> > I am researching the Maud family of Yorkshire (other spellings Maude, Mawd, Mawde, Mahault, Montealto, Montalt, etc.). My ancestors Abraham Shaw and his wife Bridget Best of Halifax, Yorkshire were both descended from this family.
> >
> > Abraham's mother, Elizabeth Longbotham/Longbottom was the daughter of Brian Longbotham and Alice Mawd who married 15 Jan 1559 Northowram, Yorkshire. Alice died 12 Jan 1572 at Northowram. I have not been able to link Alice to any of the Maud families in the area as of yet.
> >
> > Abraham's wife, Bridget Best, was the daughter of Henry Best and Grace Boithes. Henry was the son of Henry Best and Margareta Maud/Mawd who married 26 Oct 1552 Halifax, Yorkshire. Margareta is stated to be the daughter of John/Johis Mawd/Maude who was born around 1502 and died before 1559 per secondary source. I have not been able to locate a will for him yet. It would seem that Margareta Mawd Best and Alice Mawd Longbotham would be related in some way but I have found nothing to link these women back into the larger Mawd/Maud family.
> >
> > Many researchers have stated on other forums that the Maude/Mawd lines are very unclear. Even some of Burke's entries on the family are blatantly erroneous, so I am hoping that members of the group might be able to point me in the right direction or have experience with this family while researching other Yorkshire gentry families. They appear on many records with other families in the local gentry but I haven't established yet if they are acquaintances, neighbors or relatives to these other families.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Steve Riggan
> [...]
I am related to the Mawdes distantly too but i have a weird record Isabella Mawde b1537 married a Richard Lawe b1532 but i am confused that he is also listed as a son of Isabellas father William Mawde, although i found saomwthing about Richards father being a William Lawe but i have hit a major brick wall ijust cannot work it out even then i do not think brother and sister or half sister could marry.