Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:42:28 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Humphrey Bevyl His Daughter Isabel married to Thomas Worth
From: gorriebetty@gmail.com (Betty Gorrie)
 by: Betty Gorrie - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 22:42 UTC

I have bee reviewing a work to do with these people. They indicate that John Beville who died 1426 and Agnes Beaupyne were his parents. This is not true.

John Beville was Sheriff 1397 in Cornwall. He had a first wife, who had a daughter Margaret who married Edward Pomeroy. The first wife was Margareet Colleton.

This John Bevyl als, had a 2nd wife Agnes Beaupyne. She was first married to John Blewett of Holcomb Regis or Rogus. On the Visitation of Devon she is shown as Agnes Bewpenny and her Father, Thomas. The father Thomas Beaupyne was of Bristol and was an MP. He was a self made man, and had gained North Petherton and many more properties. You can pull a search on British Parliament Search.

Agnes was one of 4 daighters, who were coheirs. In 1403, Thomas wrote a will leaving Agnes the life estate in North Petherton and other lands, but the land was left in fee tail to her son John, who died 1463, and it stayed that way.

In 1426, at the Death of John Bevyle, there is a close roll 'Close Rolls, Henry VI: June 1426', in Calendar of Close Rolls, Henry VI: Volume 1, 1422-1429, ed. A E Stamp (London, 1933), p. 235. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/cal-close-rolls/hen6/vol1/p235 [accessed 10 January 2024].

This is for the Escheator not to intermeddle with Agnes, as she was jointly enfeoffed with John Bevyle in several properties including Woolston Manor, Cornwall. Agnes was mentioned in the Inquisition of her mother Margaret in 1409, and it gives her age as 23.

Now she would be young enough to have Humphrey, but I think there is no way that Agnes would be joint enfeoff with all that John owned. In 1442 when she died, there was no Inquisition. It is possible she sold the properties or gave them to her Blewett descendants, but each of the properties has no independent record showing any further dealings.

Now if Humphrey was of Woolston, what is he doing in Suffolk, where they say Isabella was married to Thomas Worth, and was born.

Does anyone have a bead on this situation at all? Thanks very much. Betty G

Re: Humphrey Bevyl His Daughter Isabel married to Thomas Worth

<0dad5a34-3f78-4641-bcaf-2f05f41ad698n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8223&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8223

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:43:38 -0800 (PST)
From: gorriebetty@gmail.com (Betty Gorrie)
 by: Betty Gorrie - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 00:43 UTC

Okay so there was more to that than met the eye. The reason that there was no further dealings was that the original grant included a fee tail to the heirs of John and Agnes. So, here is how it shock out:

Inquisition of Margaret, Mother of Agnes - Aug 8 1409 - she was unmarried widow
Close Roll - October 23 1409, John Byvil and Agnes make claim for fealty of North Petherton, for her lifetime;
1426 Close Rolls - the Escheator not to intermeddle with Agnes (but he failed to say, it was not a fee simple fee that she had, but instead, it was a fee tail, to the heirs of John and her).
The Inquisitions of John that I found out of the materials, and I got a clean copy of them:

Feb 5 1426, Number 584 and 585, Devon and Cornwall, tell the full story of the fee tail.
It also gives the age of Humphrey at 17, which at that point would be pushing it, as if they married right after Margaret's Inquisition, it would ve May 1410. The only other choice is that they were in fact married at Margaret's inquisition, and the recorded failed to record her new husvand.
So yes, it is all true.

So the other issue on this file is that we have two fathers involved in this group work: John and Cecily the 1st wife, and Ralph and Joan FitzWilliam.. Now John who is brother of Ralph was rather notorious and I have my doubts they would elect his son to be Sheriff of Cornwall, byt I have been proved wrong on numerous occasions. So if anyone has anything, please chime in.

The History of the Parliament for this John is not available. It just has a header and says it is available for a fee. The written materal on this item is full of spelling mistakes and I am really not sure where it came from, but obviously, it is not a true copy of any official document.