Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 14:08:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: BIGOD of Settrington, co. Yorks., and Stocton, co. Norfolk
From: gorriebetty@gmail.com (Betty Gorrie)
 by: Betty Gorrie - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 22:08 UTC

On Monday, August 14, 2000 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Reedpcgen wrote:
> [Ray Phair wrote]
> >P.S. The 4 Aug 1301 charter by earl Roger le Bigod at Modesgat
> (Gloucestershire) was also printed in "Monasticon Anglicanum", 5:269, with the
> first two witnesses being "domino Johanne le Bygod fratre meo, domino Johanne
> le Bygod de Stocton", instead of Sutton as given in CChR 3:106.
> >
> > Ray Phair
> >
> >Copyright by the author.
> Thank you, Ray. I should have checked the charter entry in Mon. Angl.
> This would mean that the ONLY document [the abstract of the charter given in
> Calendar of Charter Rolls] which seemed to give any credence for the theory
> that John Bygod, brother of the Earl of Norfolk was actually John Bygod of
> Stockton is ACTUALLY the best evidence against it.
> This shows that EVEN IF the Earl had two brothers named John Bygod, one a
> knight, the other a cleric,
> "domino Johanne le Bygod fratre meo,"
> or John the brother, WAS NOT
> "domino Johanne le Bygod de Stocton," who here is shown to be the brother's
> contemporary.
>
> I checked all the Year Books of Edward II published by the Selden Society, but
> found no mention of the case between John Bigod or his son Ralph and the
> Ferrers over the manor of Bugbrooke.
> The final concord between John Bigod, demandant, and Godfrey de Beaumont and
> Cecily, his wife, deforciants, in the king's court at Westminster a fortnight
> after St. John the Baptist 6 Edward I is given with some details of the action
> between Ralph Bigod, son and heir of John Bigod, and John de Ferrers taken from
> Coram Rege Roll no. 188 (Easter 1307), m. 45, published in
> Select Cases in the Court of King's Bench under Edward I, v. 3 [Sepden Society
> 58 (1939)], pp. 165-8 (no. 91).
> Further information, taken from Assize Roll no. 1344, m. 7, begun 1 Dec. 1307,
> is published in
> Select Cases in the Court of King's Bench under Edward I, v. 2 [Selden Society
> 57 (1938)], cxxxi-cxxxv.
> Paul C. Reed, FASG

Thanks for your really great work. I am wondering if you have any idea where a person could see those last two references online or alternatively can anyone who has a hard copy paraphrase what they say, so we know if the matter is resolved. Thanks a lot.

Betty