Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 13:27:33 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Neville of Pickhill and Rolleston
From: osu3738@gmail.com (Glenn Dodge)
 by: Glenn Dodge - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 21:27 UTC

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 4:13:14 AM UTC-6, John Watson wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> A couple of weeks ago I was guilty of repeating a genealogical myth in a post to this group, namely that the Neville family of Pickhill and Rolleston were descended from Henry de Neville, chamberlain to Henry II. Later, by chance, I was looking for something else in Early Yorkshire Charters, vol. 5 and found that Clay puts forward a quite convincing case for their descent from a daughter of Gilbert de Neville, the co-founder of Tupholme priory in Lincolnshire. The descent is very briefly as follows:-
>
> 1. Losoard (? - aft. 1086)
> Probaly a Breton, Domesday tenant of Odo of Bayeaux in Rigsby, Lincolnshire and Rolleston, Nottinghamshire.
>
> 2. Richard son of Losoard (? - aft. 1118)
> Holding land in Rigsby of the earl of Richmond at the Lindsey Survey.
>
> 3. Rocelin son of Richard (? - aft 1150)
> Granted land in Rigsby to Greenfield priory about 1150. He married an unnamed daughter of Gilbert de Neville II, the co-founder, with his brother Alan, of Tupholme priory in Lincolnshire.
>
> 4. Jollan de Neville I (c. 1150 - 1208)
> Adopted his mother's family name. Married, about 1175 Amfelisa daughter of Alan fitz Roald, Constable of Richmond, who granted him Pickhill, Yorkshire. The grant was witnessed by Geoffrey, William and Walter de Neville, the three sons of Gilbert de Neville II, and no doubt Jollan's uncles. He was granted the manor of Sheerness, Kent by Richard I. Died in 1208 and was succeeded by his eldest son John. His widow was living in 1219 when she was described as Domina Amfelisa de Rolleston.
>
> 5a. John de Neville (c. 1185 - 1219)
> Son and heir. He married about 1210, Isabel daughter of Robert Maulovel, widow of Sewal fitz Henry. In 1212 he was holding half a fee in Rigsby of the honour of Richmond. Served as a justice itinerant in the north of England in 1198 aand 1199. Died s.p. before 16 December 1219. His widow Isabel married thirdly Ralph Musard. She was living in 1227.
>
> 5b. Jollan de Neville II (c. 1190 - 1246)
> Brother and heir. Married firstly Maud daughter of Andrew de Beauchamp by his wife Eve de Grey by whom he had at least three sons and a daughter. In 1230 he went on Henry III's expedition to Brittany. In 1234-5 he served as a justice itinerant in Yorkshire and Northumberland. In 1242 became justice of the common bench, a position he retained until his death. In 1244 he had a licence to marry Sarah, widow of John de Heriz (d. bef. Nov 1241). He died shortly before 5 October 1246. His widow Sarah was probably still living in 1270. His daughter Margaret married William Warde of Givendale (d. 1266).
>
> 6a. Jollan de Neville III (1224 - 1250)
> Son and heir of Jollan II and Maud de Beauchamp. One of the heirs of his grandmother Eve de Grey in 1246. He married Maud and died s.p. before March 1250.
>
> 6b. John de Neville (c. 1226 - 1271)
> [...]
What do you think of "The history and antiquities of the county of Leicester : compiled from the best and most ancient historians; inquisitiones post mortem, and other valuable records; including also Mr. Burton's Description of the county, published in 1622; and the later collections of Mr. Staveley, Mr. Carte, Mr. Peck, and Sir Thomas Cave" vol. 2 pt. 2 p. 730?
It shows quite a different pedigree, especially for Andrew de Neville having married Cecilia Blanchminster as compared to your #8 Thomas de Neville above. These Nevilles are my direct ancestral line and I would love to get this straightened out.
Roberta (Travis) Dodge