From: janetpcwolfe@gmail.com (Jan Wolfe)
Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Subject: Unable to post to SGM in Google Groups
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 11:18:45 -0500
 by: Jan Wolfe - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 16:18 UTC

For about three weeks I have not been able to post replies to SGM posts
in Google Groups. When I select the button to post the reply I get a
screen with a captcha. Checking the box to indicate I am a human has no
effect and the reply never appears in the thread.

I heard via email from another SGM participant having this same problem.
This is unfortunate since SGM participants unable to post via Google
Groups can't ask questions to help them in getting set up to participate
using a newsgroup reader.

Re: Unable to post to SGM in Google Groups

<uq0hla$1hne5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8339&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8339

From: taf.medieval@gmail.com (taf)
Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Subject: Re: Unable to post to SGM in Google Groups
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 10:20:26 -0800
 by: taf - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 18:20 UTC

On 2/7/2024 8:18 AM, Jan Wolfe wrote:
> For about three weeks I have not been able to post replies to SGM posts
> in Google Groups. When I select the button to post the reply I get a
> screen with a captcha. Checking the box to indicate I am a human has no
> effect and the reply never appears in the thread.
>
> I heard via email from another SGM participant having this same problem.
> This is unfortunate since SGM participants unable to post via Google
> Groups can't ask questions to help them in getting set up to participate
> using a newsgroup reader.

I had this problem for a couple of days, about a month ago, then it
resolved itself.

taf

Re: Unable to post to SGM in Google Groups

<uq0m52$1ih9d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8341&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8341

From: janetpcwolfe@gmail.com (Jan Wolfe)
Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 14:37:04 -0500
 by: Jan Wolfe - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 19:37 UTC

On 2/7/2024 1:20 PM, taf wrote:
> I had this problem for a couple of days, about a month ago, then it
> resolved itself.
>
> taf

That's interesting. Perhaps Google is blocking posts to SGM from certain
IP addresses or domains (or something like that). It's not the email
address of the poster. (I tried other email addresses.)

I sent a test post via Google Groups to a Google Group that has been
inactive since 2020. That post went through immediately with no captcha
nonsense. The Google Group to which I sent the test message is a regular
Google Group and not connected to a newsgroup. It has not received any
spam messages.