He who fears the unknown may one day flee from his own backside. -- Sinbad

interests / soc.genealogy.medieval / Re: Further proof for the RD line of Mrs. Elizabeth (Taylor) Tufton/Mason

SubjectAuthor
o Re: Further proof for the RD line of Mrs. Elizabeth (Taylor) Tufton/MasonJohnny Brananas

1
Re: Further proof for the RD line of Mrs. Elizabeth (Taylor) Tufton/Mason

<06ff6a4f-7a75-4d42-b7b4-7b368361b664n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8353&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8353

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 08:56:38 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Further proof for the RD line of Mrs. Elizabeth (Taylor) Tufton/Mason
From: ravinmaven2001@yahoo.com (Johnny Brananas)
 by: Johnny Brananas - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 16:56 UTC

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 1:40:43 PM UTC-4, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Gary B. Roberts's forthcoming new royal descents book will include the line given below on the newsgroup (by me in November 2013). I was speculating at the time, but later found strengthening information which I passed along to Gary. The Taylors of Bradley, the birth family of Mrs. Elizabeth Tufton alias Mason, was rather obscure; the strongest statement on them seemed to be contained in the funerary monument of Mrs. Tufton/Mason's nephew, Rev. Reynolds Taylor, who died young in May 1692:
>
> "Neer hereunto lyeth the Body of Mr. Reynolds Taylor who married Rebecca, Daughter of Christopher Turnor ... He was son of Thomas Taylor Esqr., Lord of this manor and Patron of this Church by Fayth his wife, Daughter and sole Heir of John Reynolds of Fenditton ... which Thomas was son of William Taylor of Bradley in the County of South[hamp]ton Esqre. by Barbara, Daughter of Thomas Hanbury of Hanbury in the County of Worcester, which William was son of Thomas Taylor of Bradley Esqre. by Mary Daughter of John Shorbolt of Yardley Place in the County of Hartford Esqr. ..."
>
> https://books.google.com/books?id=6TtOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA300&dq=%22thomas+taylor%22+elizabeth+hanbury&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjsoP-0tPvZAhUN7lMKHTO1ArYQ6AEINDAC#v=onepage&q=%22thomas%20taylor%22%20elizabeth%20hanbury&f=false
>
> Shorbolt is surely Shotbolt, a prominent Hertfordshire family located near Yardley or Ardeley. [I believe I remember noticing that Le Neve's _Monumenta Anglicana_ reads the name in the Reyolds Taylor inscription as either SHOTBOLT or SHOPBOLT, not SHORBOLT.]
>
> In 2013, I speculated that the Thomas Taylor who married a Shotbolt of Ardley/ Yardley later removed, about 1620-25, to Bradley, Hampshire, upon his remarriage to the widow Hanbury, mother of his son's wife, Barbara Hanbury, wife of William Taylor.
>
> Recently, I located proof that this was indeed so among the docs. on the "Anglo-American Legal Tradition" website.
>
> C78/280, no. 1, 159:
>
> 1631, 10 Nov.
>
> --Thomas Taylor of Bradley, Hants v Rt. Hon. Lady Elizabeth Griffen, widow.
>
> --Debts on security of copyhold lands in Yardley and Clothall, Herts. John Shotbolt.
>
> http://www.uh.edu/waalt/index.php/C78_1631
>
> I believe Chauncey's _Hertfordshire_ had stated that one Thomas Taylor sold property at Yardley to Lady Elizabeth Griffen around 1620, but did not actually state that Taylor removed to the fairly distant county of Hampshire.. The above seems to prove it, and to place him at Bradley, Hampshire, which was the stated location of origin for Elizabeth Taylor in the 1660 London Visitation account of Robert Tufton alias Mason, her husband.
>
> My original posting (I'm not sure all the links still work):
>
> Torrey's _New England Marriages_ shows that the immigrant, Robert Tufton _alias_ Mason was married in England before 1659 to a woman named Elizabeth Taylor:

> [...]

The marriage of a Thomas Shotbolt with Jone Taylor occurred 1 May 1623 at St. Benet, Paul's Wharf.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Publications_of_the_Harleian_Society/rMbWdoBCEZ4C?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22shotbolt+%26+jone%22&pg=PA8&printsec=frontcover

Possibly an instance of siblings marrying siblings ...