Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 08:52:24 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Loss of Google Groups Usenet NTTP to HTTP bridging
From: robert.thecomputerman@gmail.com (Teamviewer Tech Helper)
 by: Teamviewer Tech Help - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 16:52 UTC

Would it not be more prudent to at least start another SMG site at Groups.io for future postings and then use https://soc.genealogy.medieval.narkive.com
to view the past posts at least in the meantime until the dust settles.

Questions : Does the Usenet support exporting the posts or messages in MBox format or other formats?

Groups.io supports importing is some formats

https://support.google.com/groups/answer/9975859

Just trying to suggest another option.

Robert

Re: Loss of Google Groups Usenet NTTP to HTTP bridging

<tdydnYPZseYJekn4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8383&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8383

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
From: ian_ng@austonley.org.uk (Ian Goddard)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 17:55:31 +0000
 by: Ian Goddard - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 17:55 UTC

Teamviewer Tech Helper wrote:
> Would it not be more prudent to at least start another SMG site at Groups.io for future postings and then use https://soc.genealogy.medieval.narkive.com
> to view the past posts at least in the meantime until the dust settles.
>
> Questions : Does the Usenet support exporting the posts or messages in MBox format or other formats?

Your Usenet client should save posts in Mbox format. Mbox is basically
a means of saving standard internet message format messages which is
what Usenet starts at.

> Groups.io supports importing is some formats
>
> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/9975859

Note also pricing: https://groups.io/static/pricing

I'd guess SMG must be in the Tb range

> Just trying to suggest another option.
>
> Robert

Usenet is the original. It has no reliance on a single provider.
Although many here are moving to Eternal September it's not the only
server available. In the past I've used individual.net and currently
simply use my ISP's reselling of GigiNews.

Google Groups was a latecomer and, as it has transpired, an early
leaver. If it were not for Usenet the future would be empty. If it
were not for Usenet it would have been what's called in the IT business,
a single point of failure. We determine such things by looking at them
and asking "If that broke down would everything break?"

As I said, the reason Google wasn't a SPoF is because the link to Usenet
was there.

So the test for any other option is just that: if it went the same way
as GG would the whole thing disappear?

Neither Eternal September nor any other single Usenet server is a SPoF.

Just about any bulletin board, group service or social media site is a
commercial reinvention of Usenet. There have been enough of them which
have come and gone to show that the single service provide is a single
point of failure.

I see nothing about groups.io which suggests it wouldn't be but for
those interested here's a useful link:

https://groups.io/hc/ownersmanual/Groups.io_Owners_Manual.pdf

Ian