Beware of friends who are false and deceitful.

interests / rec.woodworking / sources for "old school" tools

SubjectAuthor
* sources for "old school" toolspyotr filipivich
+* Re: sources for "old school" toolsScott Lurndal
|+- Re: sources for "old school" toolspyotr filipivich
|`- Re: sources for "old school" toolspyotr filipivich
+* Re: sources for "old school" toolshubops
|`* Re: sources for "old school" toolspyotr filipivich
| `* Re: sources for "old school" toolsScott Lurndal
|  +- Re: sources for "old school" toolspyotr filipivich
|  `* Re: sources for "old school" toolsLeon
|   `* Re: sources for "old school" toolsScott Lurndal
|    `* Re: sources for "old school" toolsScott Lurndal
|     `* Re: sources for "old school" toolsLeon
|      `- Re: sources for "old school" toolsScott Lurndal
+- Re: sources for "old school" toolsJust Another Joe
+* Re: sources for "old school" toolsBill
|+* Re: sources for "old school" toolsBill
||+- Re: sources for "old school" toolshubops
||`* Re: sources for "old school" toolspyotr filipivich
|| `* Re: sources for "old school" toolsScott Lurndal
||  `* Re: sources for "old school" toolshubops
||   `* Re: sources for "old school" toolspyotr filipivich
||    `* Re: sources for "old school" toolsBill
||     +- Re: sources for "old school" toolspyotr filipivich
||     `* Re: sources for "old school" toolspyotr filipivich
||      `* Re: sources for "old school" toolsBill
||       +* Re: sources for "old school" toolshubops
||       |`* Re: sources for "old school" toolsBill
||       | +* Re: sources for "old school" toolshubops
||       | |`* Re: sources for "old school" toolsBill
||       | | `* Re: sources for "old school" toolshubops
||       | |  `- Re: sources for "old school" toolsBill
||       | `* Re: sources for "old school" toolsBill
||       |  `* Re: sources for "old school" toolshubops
||       |   `- Re: sources for "old school" toolsBill
||       `- Re: sources for "old school" toolspyotr filipivich
|+* Re: sources for "old school" toolspyotr filipivich
||+- Re: sources for "old school" toolshubops
||`* Re: sources for "old school" toolsBill
|| `- Re: sources for "old school" toolspyotr filipivich
|`* Re: sources for "old school" toolsTheo
| `* Re: sources for "old school" toolsBill
|  `* Re: sources for "old school" toolsDerbyDad03
|   `- Re: sources for "old school" toolsBill
`- Re: sources for "old school" toolsJohn Grossbohlin

Pages:12
sources for "old school" tools

<khpo1ihdjrnrog8siiqvqahodci5rfivr8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8463&group=rec.woodworking#8463

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: sources for "old school" tools
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 07:55:12 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 14:55 UTC

The other day I got an auction site in my social media feed. Lots
of old tools. "Ook, ook, me want!"

But these are being sold as collectibles and for "collectors",
which is cool and groovey, but ... I'm looking for tools I can use. On
the other hand, I see tools I didn't know I wanted until I see the
picture. E.G., "Stair rabbet saw" - which could also be a "kerf
cutter" for ripping timbers /lumber. And similar old school tools
which put the "work" into "woodworking". (After using the hand tools,
you understand why power tools were invented. But I digress.)

Like a lot of these things - I could make one, but who has the
time?

So, recommendations for sources for similar hand tools? Or parts?
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<rx_SL.1596647$iS99.1160388@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8465&group=rec.woodworking#8465

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Subject: Re: sources for "old school" tools
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 15:48:39 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 15:48 UTC

pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> writes:
> The other day I got an auction site in my social media feed. Lots
>of old tools. "Ook, ook, me want!"
>
> But these are being sold as collectibles and for "collectors",
>which is cool and groovey, but ... I'm looking for tools I can use. On
>the other hand, I see tools I didn't know I wanted until I see the
>picture. E.G., "Stair rabbet saw" - which could also be a "kerf
>cutter" for ripping timbers /lumber. And similar old school tools
>which put the "work" into "woodworking". (After using the hand tools,
>you understand why power tools were invented. But I digress.)
>
> Like a lot of these things - I could make one, but who has the
>time?
>
> So, recommendations for sources for similar hand tools? Or parts?

Flea markets and antique stores have been my go-to. Just picked up a
nice Stanley Bailey #2 at a local antique store for $25. Felt guilty and
gave the dealer an additional $20 since the plane is worth far more than
that on the collectors market and it cleaned up nicely.

Pete Neiderberger advertises in fine woodworking, and Pat Leach (http://www.supertool.com/).

I've purchased from both.

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~alf/en/tools.html

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<0uso1ihfj69a4j9m3l95aehcfh1v21sn3o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8466&group=rec.woodworking#8466

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 11:50:21 -0400
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 15:50 UTC

On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 07:55:12 -0700, pyotr filipivich
<phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:

> The other day I got an auction site in my social media feed. Lots
>of old tools. "Ook, ook, me want!"
>
> But these are being sold as collectibles and for "collectors",
>which is cool and groovey, but ... I'm looking for tools I can use. On
>the other hand, I see tools I didn't know I wanted until I see the
>picture. E.G., "Stair rabbet saw" - which could also be a "kerf
>cutter" for ripping timbers /lumber. And similar old school tools
>which put the "work" into "woodworking". (After using the hand tools,
>you understand why power tools were invented. But I digress.)
>
>Lke a lot of these things - I could make one, but who has the
>time?
>So, recommendations for sources for similar hand tools? Or parts?

Is this a stair rabbet saw ?

https://tinyurl.com/2zy5wacp

I've never seen one.

I don't know of a single source for vintage tools -
just the usual - auction sales ; facebook buy & sell ;
and online classified ad sites < Craigs list, Kijiji >
Flea Markets usually have some.
John T.

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<0001HW.29CDB51909221CBD70000101B38F@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8469&group=rec.woodworking#8469

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 06:38:17 -0400
From: justanotherjoe@pmail.com (Just Another Joe)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
 by: Just Another Joe - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:38 UTC

On Mar 23, 2023, pyotr filipivich wrote
(in article<khpo1ihdjrnrog8siiqvqahodci5rfivr8@4ax.com>):

> The other day I got an auction site in my social media feed. Lots
> of old tools. "Ook, ook, me want!"
>
> But these are being sold as collectibles and for "collectors",
> which is cool and groovey, but ... I'm looking for tools I can use. On
> the other hand, I see tools I didn't know I wanted until I see the
> picture. E.G., "Stair rabbet saw" - which could also be a "kerf
> cutter" for ripping timbers /lumber. And similar old school tools
> which put the "work" into "woodworking". (After using the hand tools,
> you understand why power tools were invented. But I digress.)
>
> Like a lot of these things - I could make one, but who has the
> time?
>
> So, recommendations for sources for similar hand tools? Or parts?

I’m fortunate to live in an area where, on any nice spring/summer weekend,
there are an abundance of yard sales.

When I stop at one I always ask if they have any old tools for sale. If their
answer is “No” I can use it as an excuse to walk away without spending
any money, If their answer is “Yes”, you never know what they might
produce.

I have gotten some good buys over the years, eg. Rigid pipe threaders,
braces, auger bits, vernier calipers, Yankee screwdrivers, and the list goes
on 😁

It never hurts to ask...

Joe

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<64dr1ihek1kd1lkam0r3hhukaih263gob9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8471&group=rec.woodworking#8471

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 07:32:52 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:32 UTC

scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) on Thu, 23 Mar 2023 15:48:39 GMT
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
>pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> writes:
>> The other day I got an auction site in my social media feed. Lots
>>of old tools. "Ook, ook, me want!"
>>
>> But these are being sold as collectibles and for "collectors",
>>which is cool and groovey, but ... I'm looking for tools I can use. On
>>the other hand, I see tools I didn't know I wanted until I see the
>>picture. E.G., "Stair rabbet saw" - which could also be a "kerf
>>cutter" for ripping timbers /lumber. And similar old school tools
>>which put the "work" into "woodworking". (After using the hand tools,
>>you understand why power tools were invented. But I digress.)
>>
>> Like a lot of these things - I could make one, but who has the
>>time?
>>
>> So, recommendations for sources for similar hand tools? Or parts?
>
>Flea markets and antique stores have been my go-to. Just picked up a
>nice Stanley Bailey #2 at a local antique store for $25. Felt guilty and
>gave the dealer an additional $20 since the plane is worth far more than
>that on the collectors market and it cleaned up nicely.
>
>Pete Neiderberger advertises in fine woodworking, and Pat Leach (http://www.supertool.com/).
>
>I've purchased from both.
>
>https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~alf/en/tools.html

Will check them out.
--
pyotr filipivich

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<91dr1ipj2toc0o5n0a7861fu2i6078b8qo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8472&group=rec.woodworking#8472

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 07:32:52 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:32 UTC

hubops@ccanoemail.com on Thu, 23 Mar 2023 11:50:21 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
>On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 07:55:12 -0700, pyotr filipivich
><phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>> The other day I got an auction site in my social media feed. Lots
>>of old tools. "Ook, ook, me want!"
>>
>> But these are being sold as collectibles and for "collectors",
>>which is cool and groovey, but ... I'm looking for tools I can use. On
>>the other hand, I see tools I didn't know I wanted until I see the
>>picture. E.G., "Stair rabbet saw" - which could also be a "kerf
>>cutter" for ripping timbers /lumber. And similar old school tools
>>which put the "work" into "woodworking". (After using the hand tools,
>>you understand why power tools were invented. But I digress.)
>>
>>Lke a lot of these things - I could make one, but who has the
>>time?
>>So, recommendations for sources for similar hand tools? Or parts?
>

>Is this a stair rabbet saw ?
>
>https://tinyurl.com/2zy5wacp
>
> I've never seen one.

Yes, that's the thing itself.

I may have seen one years ago, but didn't know what it was.

>I don't know of a single source for vintage tools -
>just the usual - auction sales ; facebook buy & sell ;
>and online classified ad sites < Craigs list, Kijiji >
> Flea Markets usually have some.

As I figured. Sigh.
--
pyotr filipivich

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<aejTL.354183$Ldj8.19201@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8473&group=rec.woodworking#8473

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 15:21:42 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 15:21 UTC

pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> writes:
>hubops@ccanoemail.com on Thu, 23 Mar 2023 11:50:21 -0400 typed in
>rec.woodworking the following:
>>On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 07:55:12 -0700, pyotr filipivich
>><phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The other day I got an auction site in my social media feed. Lots
>>>of old tools. "Ook, ook, me want!"
>>>
>>> But these are being sold as collectibles and for "collectors",
>>>which is cool and groovey, but ... I'm looking for tools I can use. On
>>>the other hand, I see tools I didn't know I wanted until I see the
>>>picture. E.G., "Stair rabbet saw" - which could also be a "kerf
>>>cutter" for ripping timbers /lumber. And similar old school tools
>>>which put the "work" into "woodworking". (After using the hand tools,
>>>you understand why power tools were invented. But I digress.)
>>>
>>>Lke a lot of these things - I could make one, but who has the
>>>time?
>>>So, recommendations for sources for similar hand tools? Or parts?
>>

>>Is this a stair rabbet saw ?
>>
>>https://tinyurl.com/2zy5wacp
>>
>> I've never seen one.
>
> Yes, that's the thing itself.
>
> I may have seen one years ago, but didn't know what it was.

It would be pretty straightforward to make one from a length of
1 1/2 or 2" bandsaw blade.

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<664u1i9gr4bao36ihma4lsgjhsbf4atf94@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8475&group=rec.woodworking#8475

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 08:20:42 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 15:20 UTC

scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) on Fri, 24 Mar 2023 15:21:42 GMT
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
>pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> writes:
>>hubops@ccanoemail.com on Thu, 23 Mar 2023 11:50:21 -0400 typed in
>>rec.woodworking the following:

>>>Is this a stair rabbet saw ?
>>>
>>>https://tinyurl.com/2zy5wacp
>>>
>>> I've never seen one.
>>
>> Yes, that's the thing itself.
>>
>> I may have seen one years ago, but didn't know what it was.
>
>It would be pretty straightforward to make one from a length of
>1 1/2 or 2" bandsaw blade.

I think I still have a piece of that... somewhere.

--
pyotr filipivich

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<7eydnQQfnqv67735nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8476&group=rec.woodworking#8476

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 11:27:19 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 16:27 UTC

On 3/24/2023 10:21 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> writes:
>> hubops@ccanoemail.com on Thu, 23 Mar 2023 11:50:21 -0400 typed in
>> rec.woodworking the following:

>>> Is this a stair rabbet saw ?
>>>
>>> https://tinyurl.com/2zy5wacp
>>>
>>> I've never seen one.
>>
>> Yes, that's the thing itself.
>>
>> I may have seen one years ago, but didn't know what it was.
>
> It would be pretty straightforward to make one from a length of
> 1 1/2 or 2" bandsaw blade.

On, another note Scott. How are you doing with all the wild weather
that your state is getting. Obviously pretty bad "in spots" but the
news tends to focus on the worst and leave out the 98% that is going
fine. Hope you and yours are not in harms way.

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<we0UL.93121$qpNc.39979@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8477&group=rec.woodworking#8477

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:34:04 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:34 UTC

Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> writes:
>On 3/24/2023 10:21 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> writes:
>>> hubops@ccanoemail.com on Thu, 23 Mar 2023 11:50:21 -0400 typed in
>>> rec.woodworking the following:

>>> Yes, that's the thing itself.
>>>
>>> I may have seen one years ago, but didn't know what it was.
>>
>> It would be pretty straightforward to make one from a length of
>> 1 1/2 or 2" bandsaw blade.
>>

>On, another note Scott. How are you doing with all the wild weather
>that your state is getting.

I am

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<xr0UL.93188$qpNc.73770@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8478&group=rec.woodworking#8478

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:47:57 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:47 UTC

scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) writes:
>Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> writes:

>>> It would be pretty straightforward to make one from a length of
>>> 1 1/2 or 2" bandsaw blade.
>>>

>>On, another note Scott. How are you doing with all the wild weather
>>that your state is getting.
>
>I am

Don't know what happened to the rest of the post. Sigh, suffice it
to say that it's has been cold and wet, wet and more wet. Heavy winds,
multiple power outages, road closures for landslides, lines down,
potholes, reservoirs spilling, floods. Really tired of rain.

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<uZ3UL.2044211$vBI8.1826467@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8479&group=rec.woodworking#8479

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:48:57 -0400
 by: Bill - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 22:48 UTC

On 3/23/2023 10:55 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
> The other day I got an auction site in my social media feed. Lots
> of old tools. "Ook, ook, me want!"

There is an auction house that specialized in "old school tools" (I will
look them up for you if you are interested). IIRC, they are located out
east, but they travel a bit. They post all of
their "stuff" online, and even publish a catalog. I visited them when
they held their auction at a motel in Indianpolis (I think they do this
once a year). One issue is that with 150 tool "collectors" in a room
(not counting those online), 99% of things do not sell for prices one
might consider attractive. I bought a set of 6 miscellaneous molding
planes for $40, just so I didn't have to come home "empty handed".
In short, there is still interest out there for "old school tools".

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<j14UL.2044212$vBI8.1028051@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8480&group=rec.woodworking#8480

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:53:02 -0400
 by: Bill - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 22:53 UTC

On 3/26/2023 6:48 PM, Bill wrote:
> On 3/23/2023 10:55 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
>>     The other day I got an auction site in my social media feed.  Lots
>> of old tools.  "Ook, ook, me want!"
>
> There is an auction house that specialized in "old school tools" (I will
> look them up for you if you are interested).

Here is a link:
https://www.mjdtools.com

IIRC, they are located out
> east, but they travel a bit. They post all of
> their "stuff" online, and even publish a catalog. I visited them when
> they held their auction at a motel in Indianpolis (I think they do this
> once a year). One issue is that with 150 tool "collectors" in a room
> (not counting those online), 99% of things do not sell for prices one
> might consider attractive.  I bought a set of 6 miscellaneous molding
> planes for $40, just so I didn't have to come home "empty handed".
> In short, there is still interest out there for "old school tools".

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<3il12il0v9ebvudssragsb6141kr42irpr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8481&group=rec.woodworking#8481

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 19:38:35 -0400
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 23:38 UTC

On Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:53:02 -0400, Bill <nonegiven@att.net> wrote:

>On 3/26/2023 6:48 PM, Bill wrote:
>> On 3/23/2023 10:55 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
>>>     The other day I got an auction site in my social media feed.  Lots
>>> of old tools.  "Ook, ook, me want!"
>>
>> There is an auction house that specialized in "old school tools" (I will
>> look them up for you if you are interested).
>
>Here is a link:
>https://www.mjdtools.com

Interesting auction site - thanks for sharing.
Their past auctions are available to see some selling prices -

- 1 item I noticed was a Lee Valley plane sold for $ 120
new one is $ 270. < $ 335. in Canada >

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/planes/bench/45156-veritas-number-5-1-4w-bench-plane?item=05P2471

John T.

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<2mb32itv2lv6ekrvt1b9krtag60vrbsvek@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8482&group=rec.woodworking#8482

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 08:06:36 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:06 UTC

Bill <nonegiven@att.net> on Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:48:57 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
>On 3/23/2023 10:55 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
>> The other day I got an auction site in my social media feed. Lots
>> of old tools. "Ook, ook, me want!"
>
>There is an auction house that specialized in "old school tools" (I will
>look them up for you if you are interested). IIRC, they are located out
>east, but they travel a bit. They post all of
>their "stuff" online, and even publish a catalog. I visited them when
>they held their auction at a motel in Indianpolis (I think they do this
>once a year). One issue is that with 150 tool "collectors" in a room
>(not counting those online), 99% of things do not sell for prices one
>might consider attractive. I bought a set of 6 miscellaneous molding
>planes for $40, just so I didn't have to come home "empty handed".
>In short, there is still interest out there for "old school tools".

Oh yes. But how many are as Collectors, and how many as Users?

--
pyotr filipivich

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<8qb32ip24d67rrivokj6vm6rsa62jut0ga@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8483&group=rec.woodworking#8483

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 08:06:36 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:06 UTC

Bill <nonegiven@att.net> on Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:53:02 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
>On 3/26/2023 6:48 PM, Bill wrote:
>> On 3/23/2023 10:55 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
>>>     The other day I got an auction site in my social media feed.  Lots
>>> of old tools.  "Ook, ook, me want!"
>>
>> There is an auction house that specialized in "old school tools" (I will
>> look them up for you if you are interested).
>
>Here is a link:
>https://www.mjdtools.com

Yep, that's the outfit I was looking at.

It was where I found the reference to "stair rabbet saw" (or
whatever it was.

What I found difficult to locate was information on where the
auctions are held, and if I am not there, how do I get my prize to
"here".
--
pyotr filipivich

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<WqiUL.1812886$iU59.362902@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8484&group=rec.woodworking#8484

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:16:06 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:16 UTC

pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> writes:
>Bill <nonegiven@att.net> on Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:53:02 -0400 typed in
>rec.woodworking the following:
>>>
>>> There is an auction house that specialized in "old school tools" (I will
>>> look them up for you if you are interested).
>>
>>Here is a link:
>>https://www.mjdtools.com
>
> Yep, that's the outfit I was looking at.
>
> It was where I found the reference to "stair rabbet saw" (or
>whatever it was.
>
> What I found difficult to locate was information on where the
>auctions are held, and if I am not there, how do I get my prize to
>"here".

The auctions appear to be on-line.

https://mjdtools.nextlot.com/auctions/1426672/lots

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<ulc32ito95iglqukg7fsk1vo6i9jo5c6uu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8485&group=rec.woodworking#8485

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 11:25:02 -0400
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:25 UTC

On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 08:06:36 -0700, pyotr filipivich
<phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Bill <nonegiven@att.net> on Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:48:57 -0400 typed in
>rec.woodworking the following:
>>On 3/23/2023 10:55 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
>>> The other day I got an auction site in my social media feed. Lots
>>> of old tools. "Ook, ook, me want!"
>>
>>There is an auction house that specialized in "old school tools" (I will
>>look them up for you if you are interested). IIRC, they are located out
>>east, but they travel a bit. They post all of
>>their "stuff" online, and even publish a catalog. I visited them when
>>they held their auction at a motel in Indianpolis (I think they do this
>>once a year). One issue is that with 150 tool "collectors" in a room
>>(not counting those online), 99% of things do not sell for prices one
>>might consider attractive. I bought a set of 6 miscellaneous molding
>>planes for $40, just so I didn't have to come home "empty handed".
>>In short, there is still interest out there for "old school tools".
>
> Oh yes. But how many are as Collectors, and how many as Users?

I'd guess that the person who paid $ 4600.00 for an old
incline-level is a collector ... with deep pockets ! :-)
... the person who paid $ 120. for a Lee Valley bench plane
is a user.
The auction link that was posted makes their past sales
avilable so you can check the selling prices.
As at all auctions - _you_ set _your_ price.
John T.

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<40e32i93209rflpg4jmenfbo7ha4rk7fpd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8486&group=rec.woodworking#8486

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 11:40:22 -0400
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:40 UTC

On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:16:06 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

>pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> writes:
>>Bill <nonegiven@att.net> on Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:53:02 -0400 typed in
>>rec.woodworking the following:

>>>Here is a link:
>>>https://www.mjdtools.com
>>
>> Yep, that's the outfit I was looking at.
>>
>> It was where I found the reference to "stair rabbet saw" (or
>>whatever it was.
>>
>> What I found difficult to locate was information on where the
>>auctions are held, and if I am not there, how do I get my prize to
>>"here".
>
>The auctions appear to be on-line.
>
>https://mjdtools.nextlot.com/auctions/1426672/lots

Click on an active auction - there is a link for "Auction Terms"
that describes the 15 % buyer premium and some other details
but I didn't see any shipping services ? But I suspect it's
somewhere in their info .. Perhaps you need to register first ?
John T.

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<imydndwyA8AGWrz5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8487&group=rec.woodworking#8487

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 11:43:07 -0500
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
 by: Leon - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 16:43 UTC

On 3/26/2023 1:47 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) writes:

>>> On, another note Scott. How are you doing with all the wild weather
>>> that your state is getting.
>>
>> I am
>
> Don't know what happened to the rest of the post. Sigh, suffice it
> to say that it's has been cold and wet, wet and more wet. Heavy winds,
> multiple power outages, road closures for landslides, lines down,
> potholes, reservoirs spilling, floods. Really tired of rain.

I can relate! 6 years ago this August we had the remnants of a
Hurricane Harvey. It hit south east of us and moved up the Texas coast
to Houston. It began raining for us on a Friday and by Monday we has
received 52" of rain. There is Barker reservoir about 1 mile north of
where we live and that area has tens of thousands of homes, expensive
homes. Probably half of those homes had 2'~3' inside for a few weeks.

Good luck!

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<J5kUL.2142422$GNG9.1732338@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8488&group=rec.woodworking#8488

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 17:10:01 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 17:10 UTC

Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> writes:
>On 3/26/2023 1:47 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) writes:

>>> I am
>>
>> Don't know what happened to the rest of the post. Sigh, suffice it
>> to say that it's has been cold and wet, wet and more wet. Heavy winds,
>> multiple power outages, road closures for landslides, lines down,
>> potholes, reservoirs spilling, floods. Really tired of rain.
>
>I can relate! 6 years ago this August we had the remnants of a
>Hurricane Harvey. It hit south east of us and moved up the Texas coast
>to Houston. It began raining for us on a Friday and by Monday we has
>received 52" of rain. There is Barker reservoir about 1 mile north of
>where we live and that area has tens of thousands of homes, expensive
>homes. Probably half of those homes had 2'~3' inside for a few weeks.
>
>Good luck!

Thanks. I've measured 26.6" here since January first; added to another
12" in December (our water year is July 1st - June 30th, and this area
gets about 20" annual on average). So we're at 150%, and expecting
another inch or more tomorrow, and the wet pattern looks to extend
for the next couple of weeks.

It was 29F this morning, which is a good 20 degrees below normal
for overnight temperatures this time of year. Good for the cherries,
bad for the oranges. Does bring the snow level down during
the rainstorms, last Tuesday there was snow on Mt Loma Prieta (3790')
(yes, the epicenter of the 1989 quake during the world series);
which has happened only a couple times in the last four decades.

I remember the Barker Reservoir floods, saw quite a bit of video
at the time. My nearest reservoir has been spilling into the
emergency spillway since the end of December (it was practically
empty at the start of November, about 10k acre-feet). The
level has been as high as 18" over the lip (which does cause
significant downstream flooding, including closing US101 a
couple of times in the last month or two), but generally is only
a few inches above the spillway lip due to continued drainage
in the foothills and coastal mountains during the non-rainy days.

The creek downstream of the reservoir and the spillway flows
all join into the Pajaro (PA HA RO) river, which is the river
where the levee broke near Watsonville and flooded the entire
town of Pajaro.

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<35pUL.1815436$iU59.241292@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8489&group=rec.woodworking#8489

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 18:50:38 -0400
 by: Bill - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 22:50 UTC

On 3/27/2023 11:06 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
> Bill <nonegiven@att.net> on Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:48:57 -0400 typed in
> rec.woodworking the following:
>> On 3/23/2023 10:55 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
>>> The other day I got an auction site in my social media feed. Lots
>>> of old tools. "Ook, ook, me want!"
>>
>> There is an auction house that specialized in "old school tools" (I will
>> look them up for you if you are interested). IIRC, they are located out
>> east, but they travel a bit. They post all of
>> their "stuff" online, and even publish a catalog. I visited them when
>> they held their auction at a motel in Indianpolis (I think they do this
>> once a year). One issue is that with 150 tool "collectors" in a room
>> (not counting those online), 99% of things do not sell for prices one
>> might consider attractive. I bought a set of 6 miscellaneous molding
>> planes for $40, just so I didn't have to come home "empty handed".
>> In short, there is still interest out there for "old school tools".
>
> Oh yes. But how many are as Collectors, and how many as Users?

They hold the auction over Friday and Saturday (with the preceding
Thursday allowing you to "inspect" everything). They hold the auction
for the "collectors" tools on Friday, and the auction for the "users"
tools on Saturday. Assuming you go on Thursday to have a close look at
things for a few hours (which you almost have to unless you are willing
to pay $50 for the collector tool "catalog"), you see that this is at
least a "two day event". On the positive side, with a little patience
you can probably find whatever you want, and even going to the
inspection on Thursday is comparable to going to a museum, and can get
your adrenaline going a bit. I didn't go on Friday, so I can't say how
many were there. But there were well over 100 on Saturday (including a
few spouses). One final note: I think many of the price "estimates" that
they publish on their web site are on the low side to help generate
interest. At least that was my experience. If you attend, or buy their
catalog ($50), they will send you a price list of how much everything
sold for after the auction is over.

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<sai82itvqnlb56n58v9qq62o5itu49r287@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8490&group=rec.woodworking#8490

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 07:21:44 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 14:21 UTC

Bill <nonegiven@att.net> on Mon, 27 Mar 2023 18:50:38 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
>On 3/27/2023 11:06 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
>> Bill <nonegiven@att.net> on Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:48:57 -0400 typed in
>> rec.woodworking the following:
>>>
>>> There is an auction house that specialized in "old school tools" (I will
>>> look them up for you if you are interested). IIRC, they are located out
>>> east, but they travel a bit. They post all of
>>> their "stuff" online, and even publish a catalog. I visited them when
>>> they held their auction at a motel in Indianpolis (I think they do this
>>> once a year). One issue is that with 150 tool "collectors" in a room
>>> (not counting those online), 99% of things do not sell for prices one
>>> might consider attractive. I bought a set of 6 miscellaneous molding
>>> planes for $40, just so I didn't have to come home "empty handed".
>>> In short, there is still interest out there for "old school tools".
>>
>> Oh yes. But how many are as Collectors, and how many as Users?
>
>They hold the auction over Friday and Saturday (with the preceding
>Thursday allowing you to "inspect" everything). They hold the auction
>for the "collectors" tools on Friday, and the auction for the "users"
>tools on Saturday. Assuming you go on Thursday to have a close look at
>things for a few hours (which you almost have to unless you are willing
>to pay $50 for the collector tool "catalog"), you see that this is at
>least a "two day event". On the positive side, with a little patience
>you can probably find whatever you want, and even going to the
>inspection on Thursday is comparable to going to a museum, and can get
>your adrenaline going a bit. I didn't go on Friday, so I can't say how
>many were there. But there were well over 100 on Saturday (including a
>few spouses). One final note: I think many of the price "estimates" that
>they publish on their web site are on the low side to help generate
>interest. At least that was my experience. If you attend, or buy their
>catalog ($50), they will send you a price list of how much everything
>sold for after the auction is over.

Good to know. But ... even their low bids are too rich for my
blood.
--
pyotr filipivich

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<8ci82idq0p98e9cs3ihv1cgki6vtjq8neq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8491&group=rec.woodworking#8491

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 07:24:36 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 14:24 UTC

hubops@ccanoemail.com on Mon, 27 Mar 2023 11:40:22 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
>On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:16:06 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
>wrote:
>
>>pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> writes:
>>>Bill <nonegiven@att.net> on Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:53:02 -0400 typed in
>>>rec.woodworking the following:

>>> Yep, that's the outfit I was looking at.
>>>
>>> It was where I found the reference to "stair rabbet saw" (or
>>>whatever it was.
>>>
>>> What I found difficult to locate was information on where the
>>>auctions are held, and if I am not there, how do I get my prize to
>>>"here".
>>
>>The auctions appear to be on-line.
>>
>>https://mjdtools.nextlot.com/auctions/1426672/lots
>

>Click on an active auction - there is a link for "Auction Terms"
>that describes the 15 % buyer premium and some other details
>but I didn't see any shipping services ? But I suspect it's
>somewhere in their info .. Perhaps you need to register first ?

When I have to register in order to get basic info, I am less
inclined to go even further. Auctions sites, clothing, tools, random
news, ... nope.
--
pyotr filipivich

Re: sources for "old school" tools

<Fe5VL.1282444$8_id.1281497@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8492&group=rec.woodworking#8492

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 21:04:35 -0400
 by: Bill - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 01:04 UTC

On 3/29/2023 10:24 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
> hubops@ccanoemail.com on Mon, 27 Mar 2023 11:40:22 -0400 typed in
> rec.woodworking the following:
>> On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:16:06 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
>> wrote:

>>> The auctions appear to be on-line.
>>>
>>> https://mjdtools.nextlot.com/auctions/1426672/lots
>>

>> Click on an active auction - there is a link for "Auction Terms"
>> that describes the 15 % buyer premium and some other details
>> but I didn't see any shipping services ? But I suspect it's
>> somewhere in their info .. Perhaps you need to register first ?
>
> When I have to register in order to get basic info, I am less
> inclined to go even further. Auctions sites, clothing, tools, random
> news, ... nope.

Well, this is a legitimate business. They rent a conference room (or 4),
travel with everything round trip from the east cost, have employees
that need to be lodged and fed, etc. I wrote that with a little
patience, you could probably get just about anything that you want. I
didn't say it would be cheap! : ) I am someone who doesn't own any
"green" tools. When I went, I talked briefly with a couple who came
from Illinois for the "event". That's a four-night stay at the motel
plus travel and meal costs--all in addition to the cost of any tools
procured! But I guess they didn't have to pay "shipping" on them, just
the 15% buyers premium. ; ) I forget whether there was an entry fee,
but I believe there was a "nominal" one, maybe $15. If you think about
it, the auction house only makes it's money on the entree fee, the
buyers premium, and maybe their catalog, and they need to deduct all of
their "expenses" from those things alone. Well, they most-likely charge
a "sellers fee" too.