Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 08:50:14 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Subject: PinStripes
 by: Leon - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 13:50 UTC

Well we cut up almost $500 worth of walnut yesterday and have another
$1000. to go.

The thin rip jig worked perfectly and so far I have cut up about 150
linear feet of 1/8' x 3/16" white oak to fill the groves in the walnut.

We have 158 pieces of walnut, total, to add two pin stripes to.

Here are some of the first pinstripes and the walnut on the right side
of the picture.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52817992278/in/datetaken/

And 2 of 6 mid stiles that will receive 4 pin stripes. The rest, 152
pieces will only get 2 pin stripes. All walnut and pinstripe were
padded to cut long to allow us to make fewer installs of the oak
pinstripes. Many will be cut into shorter pieces after all of the
pinstripes are glued in place.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52816999027/in/datetaken/

Re: PinStripes

<8YO_L.2061594$iU59.1283413@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8606&group=rec.woodworking#8606

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Re: PinStripes
From: puckdropper@yahoo.com (Puckdropper)
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 09:10:28 GMT
 by: Puckdropper - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 09:10 UTC

Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in

> Well we cut up almost $500 worth of walnut yesterday and have another
> $1000. to go.
>
> The thin rip jig worked perfectly and so far I have cut up about 150
> linear feet of 1/8' x 3/16" white oak to fill the groves in the walnut.
>
> We have 158 pieces of walnut, total, to add two pin stripes to.
>
> Here are some of the first pinstripes and the walnut on the right side
> of the picture.
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52817992278/in/datetaken/
>
> And 2 of 6 mid stiles that will receive 4 pin stripes. The rest, 152
> pieces will only get 2 pin stripes. All walnut and pinstripe were
> padded to cut long to allow us to make fewer installs of the oak
> pinstripes. Many will be cut into shorter pieces after all of the
> pinstripes are glued in place.
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52816999027/in/datetaken/

What kind of glue did you settle on? I was just thinking about how super
glue has a tendency to get on my hands and be annoying, but wood glue
doesn't do that.

Puckdropper

Re: PinStripes

<OPmdnRkOHo82Z6b5nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8610&group=rec.woodworking#8610

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 08:39:56 -0500
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
 by: Leon - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 13:39 UTC

On 4/16/2023 4:10 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
> Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in
>
>> Well we cut up almost $500 worth of walnut yesterday and have another
>> $1000. to go.
>>
>> The thin rip jig worked perfectly and so far I have cut up about 150
>> linear feet of 1/8' x 3/16" white oak to fill the groves in the walnut.
>>
>> We have 158 pieces of walnut, total, to add two pin stripes to.
>>
>> Here are some of the first pinstripes and the walnut on the right side
>> of the picture.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52817992278/in/datetaken/
>>
>> And 2 of 6 mid stiles that will receive 4 pin stripes. The rest, 152
>> pieces will only get 2 pin stripes. All walnut and pinstripe were
>> padded to cut long to allow us to make fewer installs of the oak
>> pinstripes. Many will be cut into shorter pieces after all of the
>> pinstripes are glued in place.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52816999027/in/datetaken/
>>

> What kind of glue did you settle on? I was just thinking about how super
> glue has a tendency to get on my hands and be annoying, but wood glue
> doesn't do that.
>
> Puckdropper

Regular wood glue, TB III. I remembered that I had a small roller and
tray, Rubber/silicone material. The roller is about 1.5" wide and
about 5/8" in diameter. So we stacked 4~6 thin strips side by side and
tolled the glue on. That was quick and even.

Yesterday we drum sanded 33 pieces to take the majority of the thin
strips down to almost the surface of the walnut. I'll use a ROS to take
those strips down to the surface before any more cutting.

And we cut an additional 48 pieces of walnut yesterday. So we are 2/3
through the walnut that we bought. 4 more boards to cut into about 48
pieces. Eventually all of these pieces will be cut into 158 actual parts.

I will say that adding the pin strip has been non eventful and is going
very well. But wow so many more steps are involved.

We are working long pieces down to short

Re: PinStripes

<%A8%L.2130211$9sn9.608437@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8611&group=rec.woodworking#8611

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: puckdropper@yahoo.com (Puckdropper)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 09:47:39 GMT
 by: Puckdropper - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 09:47 UTC

> On 4/16/2023 4:10 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
>> Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in
>>
>>> Well we cut up almost $500 worth of walnut yesterday and have
>>> another $1000. to go.
>>>
>>> The thin rip jig worked perfectly and so far I have cut up about 150
>>> linear feet of 1/8' x 3/16" white oak to fill the groves in the
>>> walnut.
>>>
>>> We have 158 pieces of walnut, total, to add two pin stripes to.
>>>
>>> Here are some of the first pinstripes and the walnut on the right
>>> side of the picture.
>>>
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52817992278/in/datetaken/
>>>
>>> And 2 of 6 mid stiles that will receive 4 pin stripes. The rest,
>>> 152 pieces will only get 2 pin stripes. All walnut and pinstripe
>>> were padded to cut long to allow us to make fewer installs of the
>>> oak pinstripes. Many will be cut into shorter pieces after all of
>>> the pinstripes are glued in place.
>>>
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52816999027/in/datetaken/
>>>

>> What kind of glue did you settle on? I was just thinking about how
>> super glue has a tendency to get on my hands and be annoying, but
>> wood glue doesn't do that.
>>
>> Puckdropper
>

> Regular wood glue, TB III. I remembered that I had a small roller
> and tray, Rubber/silicone material. The roller is about 1.5" wide
> and about 5/8" in diameter. So we stacked 4~6 thin strips side by
> side and tolled the glue on. That was quick and even.

Nice! Super glue would never stay "open" long enough to let you do that.
> Yesterday we drum sanded 33 pieces to take the majority of the thin
> strips down to almost the surface of the walnut. I'll use a ROS to
> take those strips down to the surface before any more cutting.
>
> And we cut an additional 48 pieces of walnut yesterday. So we are 2/3
> through the walnut that we bought. 4 more boards to cut into about 48
> pieces. Eventually all of these pieces will be cut into 158 actual
> parts.
>
> I will say that adding the pin strip has been non eventful and is
> going very well. But wow so many more steps are involved.

How tight of fit are you going for? I imagine since it's glued in place
it doesn't have to be very tight.
> We are working long pieces down to short

Puckdropper

Re: PinStripes

<-dmdncR7eYZBxKD5nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8612&group=rec.woodworking#8612

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 09:38:20 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 14:38 UTC

On 4/17/2023 4:47 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
> Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in
>
>> On 4/16/2023 4:10 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
>>> Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in

>>> What kind of glue did you settle on? I was just thinking about how
>>> super glue has a tendency to get on my hands and be annoying, but
>>> wood glue doesn't do that.
>>>
>>> Puckdropper
>>

>> Regular wood glue, TB III. I remembered that I had a small roller
>> and tray, Rubber/silicone material. The roller is about 1.5" wide
>> and about 5/8" in diameter. So we stacked 4~6 thin strips side by
>> side and tolled the glue on. That was quick and even.
>
> Nice! Super glue would never stay "open" long enough to let you do that.

That was my fear.

>> Yesterday we drum sanded 33 pieces to take the majority of the thin
>> strips down to almost the surface of the walnut. I'll use a ROS to
>> take those strips down to the surface before any more cutting.
>>
>> And we cut an additional 48 pieces of walnut yesterday. So we are 2/3
>> through the walnut that we bought. 4 more boards to cut into about 48
>> pieces. Eventually all of these pieces will be cut into 158 actual
>> parts.
>>
>> I will say that adding the pin strip has been non eventful and is
>> going very well. But wow so many more steps are involved.
>
> How tight of fit are you going for? I imagine since it's glued in place
> it doesn't have to be very tight.

Pretty close tolerance. We are gently tapping the strips in with a
claw hammer. Close so that no gap appears.