Sure he's sharp as a razor ... he's a two-dimensional pinhead!

interests / rec.woodworking / The kitchen

SubjectAuthor
* The kitchenLeon
+* Re: The kitchenMichael
|`- Re: The kitchenLeon
`* Re: The kitchenDerbyDad03
 +- Re: The kitchenMarkem618
 `* Re: The kitchenLeon
  `* Re: The kitchenDerbyDad03
   +* Re: The kitchenMarkem618
   |`* Re: The kitchenDerbyDad03
   | +- Re: The kitchenLeon
   | `- Re: The kitchenLeon
   +* Re: The kitchenLeon
   |`* Re: The kitchenDerbyDad03
   | `- Re: The kitchenLeon
   `- Re: The kitchenLeon

1
The kitchen

<H7-dne_aiuoM08f5nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8631&group=rec.woodworking#8631

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!tr1.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr3.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.26.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 08:45:53 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Subject: The kitchen
 by: Leon - Tue, 9 May 2023 13:45 UTC

Soo the counter tops went in about 2 weeks ago along with an new
workstation sink and faucets.

Tomorrow the back splash is supposed to go in.

What I have been doing is varnishing the door and drawer panels, 2 coats
on back, 4 on front. Last Saturday Sunday and yesterday I assembled the
panels along with the rails and stiles to make the 37 door and drawer
fronts.

Next is sanding the frames and 4 coats of varnish.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52882296954/in/datetaken/

Re: The kitchen

<1db16a41-62c3-48aa-8510-9657bb6bb2b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8632&group=rec.woodworking#8632

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 08:44:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The kitchen
From: michaeldwilson2@gmail.com (Michael)
 by: Michael - Tue, 9 May 2023 15:44 UTC

On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 8:46:07 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
> Soo the counter tops went in about 2 weeks ago along with an new
> workstation sink and faucets.
>
> Tomorrow the back splash is supposed to go in.
>
> What I have been doing is varnishing the door and drawer panels, 2 coats
> on back, 4 on front. Last Saturday Sunday and yesterday I assembled the
> panels along with the rails and stiles to make the 37 door and drawer
> fronts.
>
> Next is sanding the frames and 4 coats of varnish.
>

> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52882296954/in/datetaken/

Looks terrific, Leon!

Re: The kitchen

<9c251886-1b40-4858-adc4-f55129cc066dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8633&group=rec.woodworking#8633

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 18:08:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarrows@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Wed, 10 May 2023 01:08 UTC

On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 9:46:07 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> Soo the counter tops went in about 2 weeks ago along with an new
> workstation sink and faucets.
>
> Tomorrow the back splash is supposed to go in.
>
> What I have been doing is varnishing the door and drawer panels, 2 coats
> on back, 4 on front. Last Saturday Sunday and yesterday I assembled the
> panels along with the rails and stiles to make the 37 door and drawer
> fronts.
>
> Next is sanding the frames and 4 coats of varnish.
>

> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52882296954/in/datetaken/

They're looking great so far. Can't wait to see the completed project.

We had a countertop scare today and won't be sure that it's resolved until
we go to warehouse tomorrow and actually put our eyes on our slab.

After months of searching, we finally found a slab that made us both go
"That's the one!" almost immediately. We put a hold on it, contacted our
fabricator and told him where to get the slab from. We called the warehouse
3 times in two weeks to make sure we still had time to make arrangements
and they said "You're fine. It's marked as yours."

So today I get a call from the fabricator telling me that when he called
the warehouse he was told that our slab had been given to someone else.
He said that this warehouse had done it to him before saying "They suck."
This was after he had called them last week and was assured that the slab
was booked to his account and they would deliver it whenever he was ready.

I called the manager of the warehouse and, keeping my anger slightly in
check, asked him what was going on. I'm not sure where the communications
broke down, but he claims that he didn't tell my fabricator that the slab was
gone, he says he told him that there is some confusion regarding which slab
was ours. We told him that we are coming in tomorrow to look at it, to make
sure it's the one we picked and that there is no more "confusion".

If our slab is indeed still there, I'm going to arrange to get it out of the
warehouse as soon as possible. I really don't want to start searching all over
again or "settling" on a different slab.

Re: The kitchen

<rt4m5i5sm94uuukvvucngcs6t0meesqcdb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8634&group=rec.woodworking#8634

From: markrm618@hotmail.com (Markem618)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 22:48:16 -0500
 by: Markem618 - Wed, 10 May 2023 03:48 UTC

On Tue, 9 May 2023 18:08:32 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
<teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:

>We had a countertop scare today and won't be sure that it's resolved until
>we go to warehouse tomorrow and actually put our eyes on our slab.

If it not the one you want I hope serendipity steps in, not Murphy.

Re: The kitchen

<cZOcnUQkTvRMbMb5nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8637&group=rec.woodworking#8637

Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 14:34:42 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Wed, 10 May 2023 19:34 UTC

On 5/9/2023 10:44 AM, Michael wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 8:46:07 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
>> Soo the counter tops went in about 2 weeks ago along with an new
>> workstation sink and faucets.
>>
>> Tomorrow the back splash is supposed to go in.
>>
>> What I have been doing is varnishing the door and drawer panels, 2 coats
>> on back, 4 on front. Last Saturday Sunday and yesterday I assembled the
>> panels along with the rails and stiles to make the 37 door and drawer
>> fronts.
>>
>> Next is sanding the frames and 4 coats of varnish.
>>

>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52882296954/in/datetaken/
>
> Looks terrific, Leon!

Thank you

Re: The kitchen

<cZOcnUckTvSXbsb5nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8638&group=rec.woodworking#8638

Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 14:39:54 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Wed, 10 May 2023 19:39 UTC

On 5/9/2023 8:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 9:46:07 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
>> Soo the counter tops went in about 2 weeks ago along with an new
>> workstation sink and faucets.
>>
>> Tomorrow the back splash is supposed to go in.
>>
>> What I have been doing is varnishing the door and drawer panels, 2 coats
>> on back, 4 on front. Last Saturday Sunday and yesterday I assembled the
>> panels along with the rails and stiles to make the 37 door and drawer
>> fronts.
>>
>> Next is sanding the frames and 4 coats of varnish.
>>

>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52882296954/in/datetaken/
>
> They're looking great so far. Can't wait to see the completed project.
>
> We had a countertop scare today and won't be sure that it's resolved until
> we go to warehouse tomorrow and actually put our eyes on our slab.
>
> After months of searching, we finally found a slab that made us both go
> "That's the one!" almost immediately. We put a hold on it, contacted our
> fabricator and told him where to get the slab from. We called the warehouse
> 3 times in two weeks to make sure we still had time to make arrangements
> and they said "You're fine. It's marked as yours."
>
> So today I get a call from the fabricator telling me that when he called
> the warehouse he was told that our slab had been given to someone else.
> He said that this warehouse had done it to him before saying "They suck."
> This was after he had called them last week and was assured that the slab
> was booked to his account and they would deliver it whenever he was ready.
>
> I called the manager of the warehouse and, keeping my anger slightly in
> check, asked him what was going on. I'm not sure where the communications
> broke down, but he claims that he didn't tell my fabricator that the slab was
> gone, he says he told him that there is some confusion regarding which slab
> was ours. We told him that we are coming in tomorrow to look at it, to make
> sure it's the one we picked and that there is no more "confusion".
>
> If our slab is indeed still there, I'm going to arrange to get it out of the
> warehouse as soon as possible. I really don't want to start searching all over
> again or "settling" on a different slab.

Wow! We have two Silestone slabs, different colors. Natural stone is
different in that many slabs are quite unique unless you get some that
were cut at the same time. Silestone/quartz are all a little different
but not so much that I would notice.

We did see some astonishing granite slabs. Looked like something seen
in the Hubble telescope. Blues, reds, purples, yellows in the same
slab. I think it would look better mounted on a wall. ;~)

Re: The kitchen

<2535872c-b522-489f-838a-480e91d99504n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8640&group=rec.woodworking#8640

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 16:31:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarrows@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Sat, 13 May 2023 23:31 UTC

On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 3:40:07 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> On 5/9/2023 8:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> > On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 9:46:07 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> >> Soo the counter tops went in about 2 weeks ago along with an new
> >> workstation sink and faucets.
> >>
> >> Tomorrow the back splash is supposed to go in.
> >>
> >> What I have been doing is varnishing the door and drawer panels, 2 coats
> >> on back, 4 on front. Last Saturday Sunday and yesterday I assembled the
> >> panels along with the rails and stiles to make the 37 door and drawer
> >> fronts.
> >>
> >> Next is sanding the frames and 4 coats of varnish.
> >>

> >> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52882296954/in/datetaken/
> >
> > They're looking great so far. Can't wait to see the completed project.
> >
> > We had a countertop scare today and won't be sure that it's resolved until
> > we go to warehouse tomorrow and actually put our eyes on our slab.
> >
> > After months of searching, we finally found a slab that made us both go
> > "That's the one!" almost immediately. We put a hold on it, contacted our
> > fabricator and told him where to get the slab from. We called the warehouse
> > 3 times in two weeks to make sure we still had time to make arrangements
> > and they said "You're fine. It's marked as yours."
> >
> > So today I get a call from the fabricator telling me that when he called
> > the warehouse he was told that our slab had been given to someone else.
> > He said that this warehouse had done it to him before saying "They suck.."
> > This was after he had called them last week and was assured that the slab
> > was booked to his account and they would deliver it whenever he was ready.
> >
> > I called the manager of the warehouse and, keeping my anger slightly in
> > check, asked him what was going on. I'm not sure where the communications
> > broke down, but he claims that he didn't tell my fabricator that the slab was
> > gone, he says he told him that there is some confusion regarding which slab
> > was ours. We told him that we are coming in tomorrow to look at it, to make
> > sure it's the one we picked and that there is no more "confusion".
> >
> > If our slab is indeed still there, I'm going to arrange to get it out of the
> > warehouse as soon as possible. I really don't want to start searching all over
> > again or "settling" on a different slab.
> Wow! We have two Silestone slabs, different colors. Natural stone is
> different in that many slabs are quite unique unless you get some that
> were cut at the same time. Silestone/quartz are all a little different
> but not so much that I would notice.
>
> We did see some astonishing granite slabs. Looked like something seen
> in the Hubble telescope. Blues, reds, purples, yellows in the same
> slab. I think it would look better mounted on a wall. ;~)

Dolomite, and the slap was still there. There was just "some confusion"
which is now all clear up.

I had done my own layout in the warehouse prior to deciding so SWMBO
could get a visual.

Picture a U shaped countertop with a peninsula on the right and a
"extension" (?) on the left that ends at a floor to ceiling cabinet.

The right hand side where the peninsula is is shown as squared off, but
it's actually rounded. The big square is the sink, the left hand section on
the bottom is the left hand side of the countertop, so just lift it straight
up and slide it to the left. We don't know where the seam will actually be
placed, but the point was to quickly determine if we had enough stone
to make it work. We obviously do.

https://i.imgur.com/2uNwKRJ.jpg

Re: The kitchen

<84806iteli9bcsd1ofacgbr5ons2ahkfn0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8641&group=rec.woodworking#8641

From: markrm618@hotmail.com (Markem618)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 18:43:55 -0500
 by: Markem618 - Sat, 13 May 2023 23:43 UTC

That is a really nice piece of stone

Re: The kitchen

<33816278-f789-4b4d-9402-5e9e6b72cdben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8642&group=rec.woodworking#8642

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 19:27:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarrows@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Sun, 14 May 2023 02:27 UTC

On Saturday, May 13, 2023 at 7:45:12 PM UTC-4, Markem618 wrote:
> On Sat, 13 May 2023 16:31:27 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
> <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

> >> Wow! We have two Silestone slabs, different colors. Natural stone is
> >> different in that many slabs are quite unique unless you get some that
> >> were cut at the same time. Silestone/quartz are all a little different
> >> but not so much that I would notice.
> >>
> >> We did see some astonishing granite slabs. Looked like something seen
> >> in the Hubble telescope. Blues, reds, purples, yellows in the same
> >> slab. I think it would look better mounted on a wall. ;~)
> >
> >Dolomite, and the slap was still there. There was just "some confusion"
> >which is now all clear up.
> >
> >I had done my own layout in the warehouse prior to deciding so SWMBO
> >could get a visual.
> >
> >Picture a U shaped countertop with a peninsula on the right and a
> >"extension" (?) on the left that ends at a floor to ceiling cabinet.
> >
> >The right hand side where the peninsula is is shown as squared off, but
> >it's actually rounded. The big square is the sink, the left hand section on
> >the bottom is the left hand side of the countertop, so just lift it straight
> >up and slide it to the left. We don't know where the seam will actually be
> >placed, but the point was to quickly determine if we had enough stone
> >to make it work. We obviously do.
> >
> >https://i.imgur.com/2uNwKRJ.jpg
> That is a really nice piece of stone

Thanks.

It's got some subtle colors that will go with just about any color you
would want to paint a kitchen. There's some blues, some specks of red,
etc.

I recently put in a vinyl plank floor with a rough sawn wood look, so the
browns in countertop will go very well.

Next steps are to have it delivered to our fabricator and to have his layout
guy come to the house and do his laser thing. Once that's done, he inputs
the laser readings and an image of the slab into his computer program and
figures out the best way to cut it, seam it, etc.

Re: The kitchen

<79SdnQGnccYNrPj5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8645&group=rec.woodworking#8645

Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 14:57:04 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Wed, 17 May 2023 19:57 UTC

On 5/13/2023 6:31 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 3:40:07 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

>>> They're looking great so far. Can't wait to see the completed project.
>>>
>>> We had a countertop scare today and won't be sure that it's resolved until
>>> we go to warehouse tomorrow and actually put our eyes on our slab.
>>>
>>> After months of searching, we finally found a slab that made us both go
>>> "That's the one!" almost immediately. We put a hold on it, contacted our
>>> fabricator and told him where to get the slab from. We called the warehouse
>>> 3 times in two weeks to make sure we still had time to make arrangements
>>> and they said "You're fine. It's marked as yours."
>>>
>>> So today I get a call from the fabricator telling me that when he called
>>> the warehouse he was told that our slab had been given to someone else.
>>> He said that this warehouse had done it to him before saying "They suck."
>>> This was after he had called them last week and was assured that the slab
>>> was booked to his account and they would deliver it whenever he was ready.
>>>
>>> I called the manager of the warehouse and, keeping my anger slightly in
>>> check, asked him what was going on. I'm not sure where the communications
>>> broke down, but he claims that he didn't tell my fabricator that the slab was
>>> gone, he says he told him that there is some confusion regarding which slab
>>> was ours. We told him that we are coming in tomorrow to look at it, to make
>>> sure it's the one we picked and that there is no more "confusion".
>>>
>>> If our slab is indeed still there, I'm going to arrange to get it out of the
>>> warehouse as soon as possible. I really don't want to start searching all over
>>> again or "settling" on a different slab.
>> Wow! We have two Silestone slabs, different colors. Natural stone is
>> different in that many slabs are quite unique unless you get some that
>> were cut at the same time. Silestone/quartz are all a little different
>> but not so much that I would notice.
>>
>> We did see some astonishing granite slabs. Looked like something seen
>> in the Hubble telescope. Blues, reds, purples, yellows in the same
>> slab. I think it would look better mounted on a wall. ;~)
>
> Dolomite, and the slap was still there. There was just "some confusion"
> which is now all clear up.
>
> I had done my own layout in the warehouse prior to deciding so SWMBO
> could get a visual.
>
> Picture a U shaped countertop with a peninsula on the right and a
> "extension" (?) on the left that ends at a floor to ceiling cabinet.
>
> The right hand side where the peninsula is is shown as squared off, but
> it's actually rounded. The big square is the sink, the left hand section on
> the bottom is the left hand side of the countertop, so just lift it straight
> up and slide it to the left. We don't know where the seam will actually be
> placed, but the point was to quickly determine if we had enough stone
> to make it work. We obviously do.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/2uNwKRJ.jpg

Kind'a sickening to see how much stone goes to waste. And I certainly
don't want to store the excess for a possible use in the future. We
bought 2 jumbo slabs. 63" x 128". So each slab is about 50 sq ft.
We needed 70 sq foot.

Re: The kitchen

<46d32087-4c07-a693-acfd-21ab496fc5d2@swbelldotnet>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8646&group=rec.woodworking#8646

Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 15:03:44 -0500
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
To: DerbyDad03 <teamarrows@eznet.net>
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
 by: Leon - Wed, 17 May 2023 20:03 UTC

On 5/13/2023 6:31 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 3:40:07 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

>>> They're looking great so far. Can't wait to see the completed project.
>>>
>>> We had a countertop scare today and won't be sure that it's resolved until
>>> we go to warehouse tomorrow and actually put our eyes on our slab.
>>>
>>> After months of searching, we finally found a slab that made us both go
>>> "That's the one!" almost immediately. We put a hold on it, contacted our
>>> fabricator and told him where to get the slab from. We called the warehouse
>>> 3 times in two weeks to make sure we still had time to make arrangements
>>> and they said "You're fine. It's marked as yours."
>>>
>>> So today I get a call from the fabricator telling me that when he called
>>> the warehouse he was told that our slab had been given to someone else.
>>> He said that this warehouse had done it to him before saying "They suck."
>>> This was after he had called them last week and was assured that the slab
>>> was booked to his account and they would deliver it whenever he was ready.
>>>
>>> I called the manager of the warehouse and, keeping my anger slightly in
>>> check, asked him what was going on. I'm not sure where the communications
>>> broke down, but he claims that he didn't tell my fabricator that the slab was
>>> gone, he says he told him that there is some confusion regarding which slab
>>> was ours. We told him that we are coming in tomorrow to look at it, to make
>>> sure it's the one we picked and that there is no more "confusion".
>>>
>>> If our slab is indeed still there, I'm going to arrange to get it out of the
>>> warehouse as soon as possible. I really don't want to start searching all over
>>> again or "settling" on a different slab.
>> Wow! We have two Silestone slabs, different colors. Natural stone is
>> different in that many slabs are quite unique unless you get some that
>> were cut at the same time. Silestone/quartz are all a little different
>> but not so much that I would notice.
>>
>> We did see some astonishing granite slabs. Looked like something seen
>> in the Hubble telescope. Blues, reds, purples, yellows in the same
>> slab. I think it would look better mounted on a wall. ;~)
>
> Dolomite, and the slap was still there. There was just "some confusion"
> which is now all clear up.
>
> I had done my own layout in the warehouse prior to deciding so SWMBO
> could get a visual.
>
> Picture a U shaped countertop with a peninsula on the right and a
> "extension" (?) on the left that ends at a floor to ceiling cabinet.
>
> The right hand side where the peninsula is is shown as squared off, but
> it's actually rounded. The big square is the sink, the left hand section on
> the bottom is the left hand side of the countertop, so just lift it straight
> up and slide it to the left. We don't know where the seam will actually be
> placed, but the point was to quickly determine if we had enough stone
> to make it work. We obviously do.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/2uNwKRJ.jpg

Up close this is what our 36" x 128" peninsula and island have.

https://www.sile-stone.com/ethereal/glow/#gsc.tab=0

and our counter tops against the walls is this.

https://www.cosentino.com/usa/colors/silestone/copper-mist/

Re: The kitchen

<442ab10c-2314-7335-d130-62ce05328f41@swbelldotnet>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8647&group=rec.woodworking#8647

Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 15:04:22 -0500
To: DerbyDad03 <teamarrows@eznet.net>
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Wed, 17 May 2023 20:04 UTC

> [...]
> could get a visual.
>
> Picture a U shaped countertop with a peninsula on the right and a
> "extension" (?) on the left that ends at a floor to ceiling cabinet.
>
> The right hand side where the peninsula is is shown as squared off, but
> it's actually rounded. The big square is the sink, the left hand
section on
> the bottom is the left hand side of the countertop, so just lift it
straight
> up and slide it to the left. We don't know where the seam will
actually be
> placed, but the point was to quickly determine if we had enough stone
> to make it work. We obviously do.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/2uNwKRJ.jpg

Up close this is what our 36" x 128" peninsula and island have.

https://www.sile-stone.com/ethereal/glow/#gsc.tab=0

and our counter tops against the walls is this.

<lbWcnTIOLtT0rvj5nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8648&group=rec.woodworking#8648

Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 15:04:57 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
> [...]

> could get a visual.
>
> Picture a U shaped countertop with a peninsula on the right and a
> "extension" (?) on the left that ends at a floor to ceiling cabinet.
>
> The right hand side where the peninsula is is shown as squared off, but
> it's actually rounded. The big square is the sink, the left hand
section on
> the bottom is the left hand side of the countertop, so just lift it
straight
> up and slide it to the left. We don't know where the seam will
actually be
> placed, but the point was to quickly determine if we had enough stone
> to make it work. We obviously do.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/2uNwKRJ.jpg

Up close this is what our 36" x 128" peninsula and island have.

https://www.sile-stone.com/ethereal/glow/#gsc.tab=0

and our counter tops against the walls is this.

<db71b00c-abc1-4587-a59f-440a9ba94c9bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8651&group=rec.woodworking#8651

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 19:18:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarrows@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Thu, 18 May 2023 02:18 UTC

On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 3:57:18 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> On 5/13/2023 6:31 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> >> Wow! We have two Silestone slabs, different colors. Natural stone is
> >> different in that many slabs are quite unique unless you get some that
> >> were cut at the same time. Silestone/quartz are all a little different
> >> but not so much that I would notice.
> >>
> >> We did see some astonishing granite slabs. Looked like something seen
> >> in the Hubble telescope. Blues, reds, purples, yellows in the same
> >> slab. I think it would look better mounted on a wall. ;~)
> >
> > Dolomite, and the slap was still there. There was just "some confusion"
> > which is now all clear up.
> >
> > I had done my own layout in the warehouse prior to deciding so SWMBO
> > could get a visual.
> >
> > Picture a U shaped countertop with a peninsula on the right and a
> > "extension" (?) on the left that ends at a floor to ceiling cabinet.
> >
> > The right hand side where the peninsula is is shown as squared off, but
> > it's actually rounded. The big square is the sink, the left hand section on
> > the bottom is the left hand side of the countertop, so just lift it straight
> > up and slide it to the left. We don't know where the seam will actually be
> > placed, but the point was to quickly determine if we had enough stone
> > to make it work. We obviously do.
> >
> > https://i.imgur.com/2uNwKRJ.jpg
> Kind'a sickening to see how much stone goes to waste. And I certainly
> don't want to store the excess for a possible use in the future. We
> bought 2 jumbo slabs. 63" x 128". So each slab is about 50 sq ft.
> We needed 70 sq foot.

We are actually going to store some, if not all, of the waste.

We will be buying new appliances "soon". I built a base cabinet many years
ago to fit between the range and fridge. I don't know the dimensions of
the next set of appliances, but I'm sure that a new cabinet will be needed.
Once that's built, we'll want to match the countertop. Our fabricator said
we can bring it back and he'll cut it and put a backsplash on it, but I'll need
to "install" it myself. Basically, the install will consist of putting it on top of
the cabinet. I think I can handle that. ;-)

Re: The kitchen

<F1KdnXL0T9JTrfv5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8659&group=rec.woodworking#8659

Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 09:06:09 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Thu, 18 May 2023 14:06 UTC

On 5/17/2023 9:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 3:57:18 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

>>> Dolomite, and the slap was still there. There was just "some confusion"
>>> which is now all clear up.
>>>
>>> I had done my own layout in the warehouse prior to deciding so SWMBO
>>> could get a visual.
>>>
>>> Picture a U shaped countertop with a peninsula on the right and a
>>> "extension" (?) on the left that ends at a floor to ceiling cabinet.
>>>
>>> The right hand side where the peninsula is is shown as squared off, but
>>> it's actually rounded. The big square is the sink, the left hand section on
>>> the bottom is the left hand side of the countertop, so just lift it straight
>>> up and slide it to the left. We don't know where the seam will actually be
>>> placed, but the point was to quickly determine if we had enough stone
>>> to make it work. We obviously do.
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/2uNwKRJ.jpg
>> Kind'a sickening to see how much stone goes to waste. And I certainly
>> don't want to store the excess for a possible use in the future. We
>> bought 2 jumbo slabs. 63" x 128". So each slab is about 50 sq ft.
>> We needed 70 sq foot.
>
> We are actually going to store some, if not all, of the waste.

I use to do stuff like that. In fact I have the extra bricks and
stone, that the builder used on the outside of our house, stored away
outside near the fence in our side yard.

It will still be there when we either move or die. ;~)

It seems like a good Idea but that stuff is unbelievably heavy. We
removed our island counter top ourselves, a 3'x4' 3cm piece of granite.
It weighed about 200 lbs.