Never have so many understood so little about so much. -- James Burke

interests / rec.woodworking / Re: Seeking advice on magnifiers

SubjectAuthor
* Seeking advice on magnifiersMarkem618
+* Re: Seeking advice on magnifiersJoe Gwinn
|`* Re: Seeking advice on magnifiersMarkem618
| +* Re: Seeking advice on magnifiersknuttle
| |`* Re: Seeking advice on magnifiersMarkem618
| | `* Re: Seeking advice on magnifiersknuttle
| |  `- Re: Seeking advice on magnifiersMarkem618
| `* Re: Seeking advice on magnifiersDerbyDad03
|  +- Re: Seeking advice on magnifiersMarkem618
|  `- Re: Seeking advice on magnifiersLeon
`- Re: Seeking advice on magnifiersLeon

1
Seeking advice on magnifiers

<hcaq6itdelbambnmkj78jug33740qepblr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8673&group=rec.woodworking#8673

From: markrm618@hotmail.com (Markem618)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Seeking advice on magnifiers
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 16:04:21 -0500
 by: Markem618 - Tue, 23 May 2023 21:04 UTC

Have recently had cataract surgery, any advice on eye protection with
magnification?

Thanks

Re: Seeking advice on magnifiers

<9eeq6ihg6jkd5nvro60o8sosa6k34ll3o9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8674&group=rec.woodworking#8674

From: joegwinn@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Re: Seeking advice on magnifiers
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 18:15:07 -0400
 by: Joe Gwinn - Tue, 23 May 2023 22:15 UTC

On Tue, 23 May 2023 16:04:21 -0500, Markem618 <markrm618@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Have recently had cataract surgery, any advice on eye protection with
>magnification?

How much magnification?

One can have special glasses made to put the best-focus distance (from
your nose tip) pretty well anywhere. I have working glasses set to
14", for computer use, and far shorter for very close work.

When getting the prescription, especially for close work, make sure
that the ophthalmologist does the final adjustment with both of your
eyes open, or the eyes are likely to fight, which will soon tire the
eyes.

Joe Gwinn

Re: Seeking advice on magnifiers

<shiq6i580bv2e04ve60ct65aa02rjr951h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8675&group=rec.woodworking#8675

From: markrm618@hotmail.com (Markem618)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 18:28:41 -0500
 by: Markem618 - Tue, 23 May 2023 23:28 UTC

On Tue, 23 May 2023 18:15:07 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 23 May 2023 16:04:21 -0500, Markem618 <markrm618@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Have recently had cataract surgery, any advice on eye protection with
>>magnification?
>
>How much magnification?
>
>One can have special glasses made to put the best-focus distance (from
>your nose tip) pretty well anywhere. I have working glasses set to
>14", for computer use, and far shorter for very close work.
>
>When getting the prescription, especially for close work, make sure
>that the ophthalmologist does the final adjustment with both of your
>eyes open, or the eyes are likely to fight, which will soon tire the
>eyes.
>
>Joe Gwinn

Right now about 1X seems good for computer reading, but 2X seems right
for reading. Tomorrow will be the last day of drops, have an
appointment with the optometrist the fifth of June. Last appointment
with to opthamologist on the first, the surgery center does not do
glasses.

Probably will end up with glasses, but colors are brighter and night
vision has returned and won't be going blind all good things.

Re: Seeking advice on magnifiers

<u4jm6h$2nlej$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8676&group=rec.woodworking#8676

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 20:36:32 -0400
 by: knuttle - Wed, 24 May 2023 00:36 UTC

On 5/23/2023 7:28 PM, Markem618 wrote:
> On Tue, 23 May 2023 18:15:07 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 23 May 2023 16:04:21 -0500, Markem618 <markrm618@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Have recently had cataract surgery, any advice on eye protection with
>>> magnification?
>>
>> How much magnification?
>>
>> One can have special glasses made to put the best-focus distance (from
>> your nose tip) pretty well anywhere. I have working glasses set to
>> 14", for computer use, and far shorter for very close work.
>>
>> When getting the prescription, especially for close work, make sure
>> that the ophthalmologist does the final adjustment with both of your
>> eyes open, or the eyes are likely to fight, which will soon tire the
>> eyes.
>>
>> Joe Gwinn
>
> Right now about 1X seems good for computer reading, but 2X seems right
> for reading. Tomorrow will be the last day of drops, have an
> appointment with the optometrist the fifth of June. Last appointment
> with to opthamologist on the first, the surgery center does not do
> glasses.
>
> Probably will end up with glasses, but colors are brighter and night
> vision has returned and won't be going blind all good things.
Have you considered getting a set of safety Glasses that are ground so
the both the near, the intermediate and the far can be seen.

My glasses have multiple grindings in the glass that lets me read work
on the computer, and see things at a distance. They are continuously
ground (no line)

Re: Seeking advice on magnifiers

<a8tq6ihn5nu897ircft6te4hhltleu3f4s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8677&group=rec.woodworking#8677

From: markrm618@hotmail.com (Markem618)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 21:29:07 -0500
 by: Markem618 - Wed, 24 May 2023 02:29 UTC

On Tue, 23 May 2023 20:36:32 -0400, knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 5/23/2023 7:28 PM, Markem618 wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 May 2023 18:15:07 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
>> wrote:

>>> How much magnification?
>>>
>>> One can have special glasses made to put the best-focus distance (from
>>> your nose tip) pretty well anywhere. I have working glasses set to
>>> 14", for computer use, and far shorter for very close work.
>>>
>>> When getting the prescription, especially for close work, make sure
>>> that the ophthalmologist does the final adjustment with both of your
>>> eyes open, or the eyes are likely to fight, which will soon tire the
>>> eyes.
>>>
>>> Joe Gwinn
>>
>> Right now about 1X seems good for computer reading, but 2X seems right
>> for reading. Tomorrow will be the last day of drops, have an
>> appointment with the optometrist the fifth of June. Last appointment
>> with to opthamologist on the first, the surgery center does not do
>> glasses.
>>
>> Probably will end up with glasses, but colors are brighter and night
>> vision has returned and won't be going blind all good things.

>Have you considered getting a set of safety Glasses that are ground so
>the both the near, the intermediate and the far can be seen.
>
>My glasses have multiple grindings in the glass that lets me read work
>on the computer, and see things at a distance. They are continuously
>ground (no line)

Considering a lot of things, with choices comes not real sure as to
what will work have tried some bifocal readers but they are my wifes
and she likes small lenses, so not a real good test for me.

Re: Seeking advice on magnifiers

<940170c6-1c6d-4141-b992-32547f8f2b1en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8678&group=rec.woodworking#8678

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 20:00:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarrows@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Wed, 24 May 2023 03:00 UTC

On Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 7:30:12 PM UTC-4, Markem618 wrote:
> On Tue, 23 May 2023 18:15:07 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joeg...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> >On Tue, 23 May 2023 16:04:21 -0500, Markem618 <mark...@hotmail.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>Have recently had cataract surgery, any advice on eye protection with
> >>magnification?
> >
> >How much magnification?
> >
> >One can have special glasses made to put the best-focus distance (from
> >your nose tip) pretty well anywhere. I have working glasses set to
> >14", for computer use, and far shorter for very close work.
> >
> >When getting the prescription, especially for close work, make sure
> >that the ophthalmologist does the final adjustment with both of your
> >eyes open, or the eyes are likely to fight, which will soon tire the
> >eyes.
> >
> >Joe Gwinn
> Right now about 1X seems good for computer reading, but 2X seems right
> for reading. Tomorrow will be the last day of drops, have an
> appointment with the optometrist the fifth of June. Last appointment
> with to opthamologist on the first, the surgery center does not do
> glasses.
>
> Probably will end up with glasses, but colors are brighter and night
> vision has returned and won't be going blind all good things.

I can’t offer any suggestions because I chose to eliminate the need
for glasses when I had cataract surgery about 6 months ago. It wasn’t
cheap, but I had Panoptix Trifocal lenses put in and haven’t worn glasses,
other than basic safety glasses, since.

The lenses are pretty cool. They use a set of concentric circles which
are each set, based on my prescription, for various distances. It took a
few months for my brain to sort out all the incoming “data”, sort of like
progressive lenses - which I hated and could never get used to. The
main difference is that it all comes in at once, i.e. no head or eye
movement like progressives or bifocals, the brain just figures it out.
It’s called “neuroadaptation”.

Anyway, like I said, it wasn’t cheap ($6K-ish) but well worth the
money. 20-20 vision, no more blinding headlight glare, no more
“fog”. I joked with SWMBO that I could get some of that money
back by selling some of the extra lights I’ve installed in the shop,
basement and garage over the past few years. ;-)

Re: Seeking advice on magnifiers

<bd5r6i1i6390ns4nfur09hl23sd4d756aa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8679&group=rec.woodworking#8679

From: markrm618@hotmail.com (Markem618)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 00:01:31 -0500
 by: Markem618 - Wed, 24 May 2023 05:01 UTC

On Tue, 23 May 2023 20:00:11 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
<teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:

>On Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 7:30:12?PM UTC-4, Markem618 wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 May 2023 18:15:07 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joeg...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:

>> >How much magnification?
>> >
>> >One can have special glasses made to put the best-focus distance (from
>> >your nose tip) pretty well anywhere. I have working glasses set to
>> >14", for computer use, and far shorter for very close work.
>> >
>> >When getting the prescription, especially for close work, make sure
>> >that the ophthalmologist does the final adjustment with both of your
>> >eyes open, or the eyes are likely to fight, which will soon tire the
>> >eyes.
>> >
>> >Joe Gwinn
>> Right now about 1X seems good for computer reading, but 2X seems right
>> for reading. Tomorrow will be the last day of drops, have an
>> appointment with the optometrist the fifth of June. Last appointment
>> with to opthamologist on the first, the surgery center does not do
>> glasses.
>>
>> Probably will end up with glasses, but colors are brighter and night
>> vision has returned and won't be going blind all good things.
>
>I can’t offer any suggestions because I chose to eliminate the need
>for glasses when I had cataract surgery about 6 months ago. It wasn’t
>cheap, but I had Panoptix Trifocal lenses put in and haven’t worn glasses,
>other than basic safety glasses, since.
>
>The lenses are pretty cool. They use a set of concentric circles which
>are each set, based on my prescription, for various distances. It took a
>few months for my brain to sort out all the incoming “data”, sort of like
>progressive lenses - which I hated and could never get used to. The
>main difference is that it all comes in at once, i.e. no head or eye
>movement like progressives or bifocals, the brain just figures it out.
>It’s called “neuroadaptation”.
>
>Anyway, like I said, it wasn’t cheap ($6K-ish) but well worth the
>money. 20-20 vision, no more blinding headlight glare, no more
>“fog”. I joked with SWMBO that I could get some of that money
>back by selling some of the extra lights I’ve installed in the shop,
>basement and garage over the past few years. ;-)

Vivity Toric lenses are what I had selected out of the three offering.
So far distance vision is good, close is getting better. I have worn
glasses since 5 years old, my vision was far sighted in the left and
near sighted in the right. An astigmatism if the left eye but it is
vertical on just the upper half of the eye. I am familar with
neuroadaptation, I think my brain has been doing it since I was young.
When I played baseball, I never wore my glasses pitching but did when
batting. Plays with head of the other team.

So tonight looking at the cresent moon I see two images, which is
better than four to three with the cataracts.

At last check two weeks ago, left eye was at 20/40. Definitely see
clearer through both eyes.

The thought was I should be 20/20 that is yet to be determined.

Driving without glasses is not a problem.

Re: Seeking advice on magnifiers

<u4kt21$2v29v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8680&group=rec.woodworking#8680

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 07:39:46 -0400
 by: knuttle - Wed, 24 May 2023 11:39 UTC

On 5/23/2023 10:29 PM, Markem618 wrote:
> On Tue, 23 May 2023 20:36:32 -0400, knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/23/2023 7:28 PM, Markem618 wrote:

>>> Right now about 1X seems good for computer reading, but 2X seems right
>>> for reading. Tomorrow will be the last day of drops, have an
>>> appointment with the optometrist the fifth of June. Last appointment
>>> with to opthamologist on the first, the surgery center does not do
>>> glasses.
>>>
>>> Probably will end up with glasses, but colors are brighter and night
>>> vision has returned and won't be going blind all good things.
>
>> Have you considered getting a set of safety Glasses that are ground so
>> the both the near, the intermediate and the far can be seen.
>>
>> My glasses have multiple grindings in the glass that lets me read work
>> on the computer, and see things at a distance. They are continuously
>> ground (no line)
>
> Considering a lot of things, with choices comes not real sure as to
> what will work have tried some bifocal readers but they are my wifes
> and she likes small lenses, so not a real good test for me.
I was not talking about bifocal reader that were of someone else's
prescription, but one developed for you personally from a licensed
optometrist.

Re: Seeking advice on magnifiers

<sc6s6ila941fad6h7cbcu6e10d75u5710m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8681&group=rec.woodworking#8681

From: markrm618@hotmail.com (Markem618)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 09:06:38 -0500
 by: Markem618 - Wed, 24 May 2023 14:06 UTC

On Wed, 24 May 2023 07:39:46 -0400, knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 5/23/2023 10:29 PM, Markem618 wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 May 2023 20:36:32 -0400, knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Have you considered getting a set of safety Glasses that are ground so
>>> the both the near, the intermediate and the far can be seen.
>>>
>>> My glasses have multiple grindings in the glass that lets me read work
>>> on the computer, and see things at a distance. They are continuously
>>> ground (no line)
>>
>> Considering a lot of things, with choices comes not real sure as to
>> what will work have tried some bifocal readers but they are my wifes
>> and she likes small lenses, so not a real good test for me.

>I was not talking about bifocal reader that were of someone else's
>prescription, but one developed for you personally from a licensed
>optometrist.

I understood what you said thanks for the input.

Re: Seeking advice on magnifiers

<uDCdnQ3Vus4SH-_5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8686&group=rec.woodworking#8686

Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 17:22:07 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Sat, 27 May 2023 22:22 UTC

On 5/23/2023 4:04 PM, Markem618 wrote:
> Have recently had cataract surgery, any advice on eye protection with
> magnification?
>
> Thanks

Me too, last year. I ordered an inexpensive pair of bifocal Cardhart
safety glasses from Amazon. No magnification on top but slightly
magnified on the bottom for close up.

Re: Seeking advice on magnifiers

<lUudnbSlmLasHu_5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8687&group=rec.woodworking#8687

Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 17:24:49 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Sat, 27 May 2023 22:24 UTC

On 5/23/2023 10:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 7:30:12 PM UTC-4, Markem618 wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 May 2023 18:15:07 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joeg...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:

>>> How much magnification?
>>>
>>> One can have special glasses made to put the best-focus distance (from
>>> your nose tip) pretty well anywhere. I have working glasses set to
>>> 14", for computer use, and far shorter for very close work.
>>>
>>> When getting the prescription, especially for close work, make sure
>>> that the ophthalmologist does the final adjustment with both of your
>>> eyes open, or the eyes are likely to fight, which will soon tire the
>>> eyes.
>>>
>>> Joe Gwinn
>> Right now about 1X seems good for computer reading, but 2X seems right
>> for reading. Tomorrow will be the last day of drops, have an
>> appointment with the optometrist the fifth of June. Last appointment
>> with to opthamologist on the first, the surgery center does not do
>> glasses.
>>
>> Probably will end up with glasses, but colors are brighter and night
>> vision has returned and won't be going blind all good things.
>
> I can’t offer any suggestions because I chose to eliminate the need
> for glasses when I had cataract surgery about 6 months ago. It wasn’t
> cheap, but I had Panoptix Trifocal lenses put in and haven’t worn glasses,
> other than basic safety glasses, since.
>
> The lenses are pretty cool. They use a set of concentric circles which
> are each set, based on my prescription, for various distances. It took a
> few months for my brain to sort out all the incoming “data”, sort of like
> progressive lenses - which I hated and could never get used to. The
> main difference is that it all comes in at once, i.e. no head or eye
> movement like progressives or bifocals, the brain just figures it out.
> It’s called “neuroadaptation”.

I pretty much got the same but do need 1.25 for up close in dim
lighting. Other wise in daylight I'm good to go with just sunglasses.