Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 11:27:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Central Machinery quality?
From: rjtreitner@gmail.com (Ronald Treitner)
 by: Ronald Treitner - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 18:27 UTC

On Thursday, April 11, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Grant Echols wrote:
> I've been seeing mail order adds for a bunch of hardware
> manufactured by Central Machinery in the Better Homes and Gardens
> Wood magazine. Their prices look great but I don't know anything
> about their quality and I haven't seen their products in any of
> the tools reviews either. It looks they've got a light green color
> scheme for their tools that makes me think they're a clone of
> Delta but I'm not sure.
> Anyone have any experience with these guys? The mail order house
> that advertises them is Harbor Freight from California.
> Thanks for the help,
> Grant
> --
> Grant Echols

i've bought a 9in bandsaw and a drill press from them and both work great no problems, while you do have to be careful on what tools you get at harbor freight some things might not be such a great deal but these items are great for my wood shop so. that being said if you are going to get an item for a busy commercial setting you might consider "you get what you pay for." however, in this day and age unless you are planning on spending an insane amount for one tool most brands all use cheap "made in china parts" they just make the wrapper look pretty. for instance, is that table saw really well built? look underneath at the workings are such things as the gears made of metal or cheap plastic, you get the idea. so i guess its more like is it built good enough for how often, etc., you are planning to use it for and can afford. do you need to spend hundreds instead of a hundred for one tool you might only need once in awhile. if its defective from box as with any brand you can always take it right back for an exchange, etc., and get one that isn't defective. every brand has issues and haters, some think it can't be good unless i outspend the next guy on one.