We ARE as gods and might as well get good at it. -- Whole Earth Catalog

interests / rec.woodworking / Re: Wood question

SubjectAuthor
* Wood questionknuttle
+* Re: Wood questionhubops
|`* Re: Wood questionknuttle
| `- Re: Wood questionClare Snyder
`* Re: Wood questionClare Snyder
 +* Re: Wood questionhubops
 |`- Re: Wood questionknuttle
 `- Re: Wood questionknuttle

1
Wood question

<uds914$245n7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8829&group=rec.woodworking#8829

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Wood question
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 08:13:26 -0400
 by: knuttle - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 12:13 UTC

Several weeks ago we were at our local Restore, and they had a wood size
I have never seen before. This material was 3/4 X 5/16, similar
dimensions to standard Screen Door Molding, BUT with square not rounded
edges.

It was $0.50 /ft and I bought about 80 ft.

My question is the material something new on the market, that is not
carried by local stores, OR is it overrun from a special order by
contractor.

I use a lot of screen door molding in making picture frames and this new
item give a slight different look to the picture frames.

Re: Wood question

<hlr5gidrgah3jhaco540kd0uj41pqetho6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8831&group=rec.woodworking#8831

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Re: Wood question
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 07:43:34 -0400
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 11:43 UTC

On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 19:28:10 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
<teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 8:13:29?AM UTC-4, knuttle wrote:
>> Several weeks ago we were at our local Restore, and they had a wood size
>> I have never seen before. This material was 3/4 X 5/16, similar
>> dimensions to standard Screen Door Molding, BUT with square not rounded
>> edges.
>>
>> It was $0.50 /ft and I bought about 80 ft.
>>
>> My question is the material something new on the market, that is not
>> carried by local stores, OR is it overrun from a special order by
>> contractor.
>>
>> I use a lot of screen door molding in making picture frames and this new
>> item give a slight different look to the picture frames.
>
>Species? Lengths? (just curious)
>
>A few years ago I pick up a bunch of Douglas Fir at a moving sale. It was left over
>from when the post and beam house was built and was apparently cut incorrectly.
>I don't recall if the owner bought it from the builder or the builder gave it to him.
>The homeowner was a hobbyist woodworker and had a nice shop in the basement.
>
>This is some of what I bought:
>
>https://i.imgur.com/GF2qOCd.jpg
>
>A lot of it was used to build a full size bed for my daughter:
>
>https://i.imgur.com/GTDm9VG.jpg
>
>https://i.imgur.com/80jaux9.jpg
>
>Maybe your stuff wasn't an "overrun", maybe it was a "mistake" like my purchase was.

Yep. Many possible scenarios for finding unusual sizes of material.
Many years ago, over a few beers, a buddy told me he had some
walnut sticks collecting dust in his shed so I bought $ 20. worth -
~ 2 - 3 wheelbarrows full - and used them for odd jobs and small
projects for 20 years. They were from a furniture factory -
- 3 1/2 feet long 2 3/4 x 1 1/4 dry and straight.
John T.

Re: Wood question

<udutn6$2k83q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8832&group=rec.woodworking#8832

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 08:18:46 -0400
 by: knuttle - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 12:18 UTC

On 09/14/2023 7:43 AM, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 19:28:10 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
> <teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 8:13:29?AM UTC-4, knuttle wrote:
>>> Several weeks ago we were at our local Restore, and they had a wood size
>>> I have never seen before. This material was 3/4 X 5/16, similar
>>> dimensions to standard Screen Door Molding, BUT with square not rounded
>>> edges.
>>>
>>> It was $0.50 /ft and I bought about 80 ft.
>>>
>>> My question is the material something new on the market, that is not
>>> carried by local stores, OR is it overrun from a special order by
>>> contractor.
>>>
>>> I use a lot of screen door molding in making picture frames and this new
>>> item give a slight different look to the picture frames.
>>
>> Species? Lengths? (just curious)
>>
>> A few years ago I pick up a bunch of Douglas Fir at a moving sale. It was left over
>>from when the post and beam house was built and was apparently cut incorrectly.
>> I don't recall if the owner bought it from the builder or the builder gave it to him.
>> The homeowner was a hobbyist woodworker and had a nice shop in the basement.
>>
>> This is some of what I bought:
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/GF2qOCd.jpg
>>
>> A lot of it was used to build a full size bed for my daughter:
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/GTDm9VG.jpg
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/80jaux9.jpg
>>
>> Maybe your stuff wasn't an "overrun", maybe it was a "mistake" like my purchase was.
>>

> Yep. Many possible scenarios for finding unusual sizes of material.
> Many years ago, over a few beers, a buddy told me he had some
> walnut sticks collecting dust in his shed so I bought $ 20. worth -
> ~ 2 - 3 wheelbarrows full - and used them for odd jobs and small
> projects for 20 years. They were from a furniture factory -
> - 3 1/2 feet long 2 3/4 x 1 1/4 dry and straight.
> John T.

OP: I was HOPING that someone would say that it was a new standard size.

I used it all in making picture frames today, it gives the frame a
different look. (with a half dozen different shaped router bits you are
always looking for ways to make them different.)

I was down at the lumber store the other day and they had 1.5" sizes
that could be ripped, to get the 3/4" size. However as thin as it is, I
am not sure I want to try to rip it.

Would this be something that would be used in the installation of a
knotty pine wall, ie spline between the panels?

Thanks for responding.

Re: Wood question

<45h7gi176m1tlk2qil9al54qv3q6hh4s66@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8833&group=rec.woodworking#8833

From: clare@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 22:43:31 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 02:43 UTC

<teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 8:13:29?AM UTC-4, knuttle wrote:
>> Several weeks ago we were at our local Restore, and they had a wood size
>> I have never seen before. This material was 3/4 X 5/16, similar
>> dimensions to standard Screen Door Molding, BUT with square not rounded
>> edges.
>>
>> It was $0.50 /ft and I bought about 80 ft.
>>
>> My question is the material something new on the market, that is not
>> carried by local stores, OR is it overrun from a special order by
>> contractor.
>>
>> I use a lot of screen door molding in making picture frames and this new
>> item give a slight different look to the picture frames.
>
>Species? Lengths? (just curious)
>
>A few years ago I pick up a bunch of Douglas Fir at a moving sale. It was left over
>from when the post and beam house was built and was apparently cut incorrectly.
>I don't recall if the owner bought it from the builder or the builder gave it to him.
>The homeowner was a hobbyist woodworker and had a nice shop in the basement.
>
>This is some of what I bought:
>
>https://i.imgur.com/GF2qOCd.jpg
>
>A lot of it was used to build a full size bed for my daughter:
>
>https://i.imgur.com/GTDm9VG.jpg
>
>https://i.imgur.com/80jaux9.jpg
>
>Maybe your stuff wasn't an "overrun", maybe it was a "mistake" like my purchase was.

It wasn't by chance cedar??? left over from a cesar strip canoe???

Re: Wood question

<k9h7gidl103d86j8lvifs0ujokfqnjdpeg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8834&group=rec.woodworking#8834

From: clare@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 22:45:55 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 02:45 UTC

On Thu, 14 Sep 2023 08:18:46 -0400, knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 09/14/2023 7:43 AM, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 19:28:10 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
>> <teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:

>>> Species? Lengths? (just curious)
>>>
>>> A few years ago I pick up a bunch of Douglas Fir at a moving sale. It was left over
>>>from when the post and beam house was built and was apparently cut incorrectly.
>>> I don't recall if the owner bought it from the builder or the builder gave it to him.
>>> The homeowner was a hobbyist woodworker and had a nice shop in the basement.
>>>
>>> This is some of what I bought:
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/GF2qOCd.jpg
>>>
>>> A lot of it was used to build a full size bed for my daughter:
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/GTDm9VG.jpg
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/80jaux9.jpg
>>>
>>> Maybe your stuff wasn't an "overrun", maybe it was a "mistake" like my purchase was.
>>>

>> Yep. Many possible scenarios for finding unusual sizes of material.
>> Many years ago, over a few beers, a buddy told me he had some
>> walnut sticks collecting dust in his shed so I bought $ 20. worth -
>> ~ 2 - 3 wheelbarrows full - and used them for odd jobs and small
>> projects for 20 years. They were from a furniture factory -
>> - 3 1/2 feet long 2 3/4 x 1 1/4 dry and straight.
>> John T.
>>
>OP: I was HOPING that someone would say that it was a new standard size.
>
>I used it all in making picture frames today, it gives the frame a
>different look. (with a half dozen different shaped router bits you are
>always looking for ways to make them different.)
>
>I was down at the lumber store the other day and they had 1.5" sizes
>that could be ripped, to get the 3/4" size. However as thin as it is, I
>am not sure I want to try to rip it.
>
>Would this be something that would be used in the installation of a
>knotty pine wall, ie spline between the panels?
>
>Thanks for responding.

You mean battens? Usually more than 3/4 inch wide , but always a
possibility someone wanted something different??

Re: Wood question

<v2l7gih4e278ugo6df8fiugsc4r11a0pj6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8835&group=rec.woodworking#8835

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 00:05:52 -0400
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 04:05 UTC

On Thu, 14 Sep 2023 22:43:31 -0400, Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca>
wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 19:28:10 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
><teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 8:13:29?AM UTC-4, knuttle wrote:
>>> Several weeks ago we were at our local Restore, and they had a wood size
>>> I have never seen before. This material was 3/4 X 5/16, similar
>>> dimensions to standard Screen Door Molding, BUT with square not rounded
>>> edges.
>>>
>>> It was $0.50 /ft and I bought about 80 ft.
>>>
>>> My question is the material something new on the market, that is not
>>> carried by local stores, OR is it overrun from a special order by
>>> contractor.
>>>
>>> I use a lot of screen door molding in making picture frames and this new
>>> item give a slight different look to the picture frames.
>>
>>Species? Lengths? (just curious)
>>
>>A few years ago I pick up a bunch of Douglas Fir at a moving sale. It was left over
>>from when the post and beam house was built and was apparently cut incorrectly.
>>I don't recall if the owner bought it from the builder or the builder gave it to him.
>>The homeowner was a hobbyist woodworker and had a nice shop in the basement.
>>
>>This is some of what I bought:
>>
>>https://i.imgur.com/GF2qOCd.jpg
>>
>>A lot of it was used to build a full size bed for my daughter:
>>
>>https://i.imgur.com/GTDm9VG.jpg
>>
>>https://i.imgur.com/80jaux9.jpg
>>
>>Maybe your stuff wasn't an "overrun", maybe it was a "mistake" like my purchase was.
>>
>It wasn't by chance cedar??? left over from a cesar strip canoe???

Good guess .. I helped a buddy rip those - many years ago.
... for each 2 strips 1 went in saw dust ..
.. then all the long skinny strips were routered for
bead & cove ... gotta love what you do ..
The finished product was something to behold -
not a canoe that I would ever bang off the rocks ..
John T.

Re: Wood question

<ue1h1p$37nlu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8836&group=rec.woodworking#8836

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 08:00:58 -0400
 by: knuttle - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 12:00 UTC

On 09/14/2023 10:43 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 19:28:10 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
> <teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 8:13:29?AM UTC-4, knuttle wrote:
>>> Several weeks ago we were at our local Restore, and they had a wood size
>>> I have never seen before. This material was 3/4 X 5/16, similar
>>> dimensions to standard Screen Door Molding, BUT with square not rounded
>>> edges.
>>>
>>> It was $0.50 /ft and I bought about 80 ft.
>>>
>>> My question is the material something new on the market, that is not
>>> carried by local stores, OR is it overrun from a special order by
>>> contractor.
>>>
>>> I use a lot of screen door molding in making picture frames and this new
>>> item give a slight different look to the picture frames.
>>
>> Species? Lengths? (just curious)
>>
>> A few years ago I pick up a bunch of Douglas Fir at a moving sale. It was left over
>>from when the post and beam house was built and was apparently cut incorrectly.
>> I don't recall if the owner bought it from the builder or the builder gave it to him.
>> The homeowner was a hobbyist woodworker and had a nice shop in the basement.
>>
>> This is some of what I bought:
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/GF2qOCd.jpg
>>
>> A lot of it was used to build a full size bed for my daughter:
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/GTDm9VG.jpg
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/80jaux9.jpg
>>
>> Maybe your stuff wasn't an "overrun", maybe it was a "mistake" like my purchase was.
>>
> It wasn't by chance cedar??? left over from a cesar strip canoe???
It appears to be a pine.

Re: Wood question

<ue1hee$37oll$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8837&group=rec.woodworking#8837

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 08:07:43 -0400
 by: knuttle - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 12:07 UTC

On 09/15/2023 12:05 AM, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Sep 2023 22:43:31 -0400, Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 19:28:10 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
>> <teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:

>>> Species? Lengths? (just curious)
>>>
>>> A few years ago I pick up a bunch of Douglas Fir at a moving sale. It was left over
>> >from when the post and beam house was built and was apparently cut incorrectly.
>>> I don't recall if the owner bought it from the builder or the builder gave it to him.
>>> The homeowner was a hobbyist woodworker and had a nice shop in the basement.
>>>
>>> This is some of what I bought:
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/GF2qOCd.jpg
>>>
>>> A lot of it was used to build a full size bed for my daughter:
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/GTDm9VG.jpg
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/80jaux9.jpg
>>>
>>> Maybe your stuff wasn't an "overrun", maybe it was a "mistake" like my purchase was.
>>>
>> It wasn't by chance cedar??? left over from a cesar strip canoe???
>

> Good guess .. I helped a buddy rip those - many years ago.
> .. for each 2 strips 1 went in saw dust ..
> .. then all the long skinny strips were routered for
> bead & cove ... gotta love what you do ..
> The finished product was something to behold -
> not a canoe that I would ever bang off the rocks ..
> John T.
I as I replied above it is probably pine. It is definitely not cedar.

The sawdust is one of the nice things about working with wood. I When I
used the material for the Restore I made 8 picture frames and stretcher.
I had about a gallon of saw dust. Eventually it will go on to the yard.

Another thing I like when doing this is listening to the wood go from
being the sound of a board to a block. I assume the change in the sound
comes from the milling of the decorative groves.