From: krw@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Re: Grizzly 8" Jointer For sale in Dallas TX $600
References: <1113694559.659411.148720@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> <17238158912c7fa0$1$1360230$fd385da@news.newsgroupdirect.com> <7af02815-b138-42db-ac04-51d7c842d5d3n@googlegroups.com> <80ad2a90-3e81-4566-9433-0cce24cd8e5an@googlegroups.com> <6uvamhdh2su0ionuq15ds46u3ep59g9ac8@4ax.com> <pr0emhhb81b4l5pej3un8drddock3ca5bh@4ax.com> <021fe03a-532e-47ab-b0de-40c7b3a9eb4cn@googlegroups.com> <e97c97b5-33dc-4cdc-be47-fedd7c0f329fn@googlegroups.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 19:45:53 -0500
 by: krw@notreal.com - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 00:45 UTC

On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 15:36:29 -0800 (PST), John Grossbohlin
<grossboj@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Some of it was junk. But there was also a lot of quality pieces too. When I looked at all the pictures I kind of saw my own tool collection. Sort of. Lot of stuff of all types. Some high end, some middle end, and some >low end. Wide variety. I bet almost everyone here if they had their stuff listed like this auction, it would look the same. I bet we all have some nice tools and some medium they got the job done tools too. And all of the >other random stuff every tool person collects over the decades.
>>
>> The auction makes me kind of sad. If all my treasures were disposed of like this, in a mass auction, it would not bring the correct price. Much better to dispose of everything in a meticulous manner piece by piece. >Then you might optimize the valuable items. Still lose on the lower items and most of the medium items. But your odds would be better for maximizing the total return. This big auction and everything goes quick is >not a good way to sell tools.
>
>I plan on being around another 20+ years so I have taken a different approach to my "stuff." I've given my sons and friends a lot of tools and other things and downsized. At the same time I've also gotten a lot of better tools... e.g., replaced all my screwdrivers (except the L-N), pliers, electrical tools, etc. with Klein and Knipex and got a new rolling tool cabinet. Once I had all the new stuff I regretted not doing it sooner as the tools work so much better than those I replaced!

+1

I think I've replaced everything, too, except my Unisaw but it's only
10ish years old. I have drawers full screwdrivers just taking up
space. I retired at the beginning of the year so the shop is where I'm
planning to hang out for as long as I can stand upright so I put some
real money into tools over the couple of years before.

My son isn't interested in tools at all, woodworking or home
improvement (he could certainly use it). I gave him all of my DeWalt
corded and cordless tools a few years ago and I doubt he's even
touched them. They're probably an inch deep in cobwebs in his
basement. I've just thrown away several power tools recently because
they take space that I don't want to give them anymore.