Be careful when you bite into your hamburger. -- Derek Bok

interests / rec.woodworking / Re: Grizzly 8" Jointer For sale in Dallas TX $600

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Grizzly 8" Jointer For sale in Dallas TX $600russellseaton1@yahoo.com
+- Re: Grizzly 8" Jointer For sale in Dallas TX $600hubops
`* Re: Grizzly 8" Jointer For sale in Dallas TX $600krw
 `* Re: Grizzly 8" Jointer For sale in Dallas TX $600russellseaton1@yahoo.com
  `- Re: Grizzly 8" Jointer For sale in Dallas TX $600krw

1
Re: Grizzly 8" Jointer For sale in Dallas TX $600

<e9f09fdf-b024-4842-b580-80a9755c69b1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8848&group=rec.woodworking#8848

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 19:40:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Grizzly 8" Jointer For sale in Dallas TX $600
From: ritzannaseaton@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 03:40 UTC

On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 5:10:06 AM UTC-6, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 00:36:03 -0700 (PDT), "russell...@yahoo.com"
> <ritzann...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> It looks like a lot of junk to me.
> >>

> >Some of it was junk. But there was also a lot of quality pieces too.
> > When I looked at all the pictures I kind of saw my own tool collection.
> > Lot of stuff of all types. Some high end, some middle end, and some low end.
> >The auction makes me kind of sad.
> > If all my treasures were disposed of like this, in a mass auction,
> > it would not bring the correct price.
> >Much better to dispose of everything in a meticulous manner piece by piece.
> >Then you might optimize the valuable items.
> >Still lose on the lower items and most of the medium items.
> >But your odds would be better for maximizing the total return.
> >This big auction and everything goes quick is not a good way to sell tools.
> >
> Seriously ?
> Can you imagine trying to sell off this much stuff through
> online classified sites < CraigsList, Kijiji, Facebook etc .. >
> ... there are 382 auction lots - how many online arses are
> you going to be forced to meet and haggle with ?
> If we just look at clamps - he has almost 100 - arranged in
> about a dozen lots .. I can see it taking forever to get top dollar
> for them by selling through online classified sites - in the process
> you'd be dealing with low-ballers and people who want 2-of-those
> and 2-of-these .. agreeing to come for them and not showing up..
> etc etc
> .. and then you've only sold the clamps - you've just begun !
> .. uuugggh .. shudder ..
> Usually the final selling prices are shown the day-after
> the sale closes - I strongly suspect that this guy will get fair
> dollar for most of his stuff - and it will be all gone on the
> scheduled pick-up day. No fuss, no muss, no dickering.
> It's by-far the best way < the only way > to sell
> such a large quantity of stuff.
> John T.

If forced, or when I have to liquidate my stuff, I will give it to certain people. OR, get rid of it over years. 2-3-4 years. No rush. I would likely advertise the premium items. And the mid level items. That way I would eliminate dealing with the riff raff you mention. I assume someone buying a Festool, Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch tool is more serious and really wants to buy the tool. And when I am selling a premium item to a buyer, I would also say look around and see if you want some other stuff too. A lot would get sold very quickly to a just a few people. As for all of the "junk" stuff. It might just be thrown out. Which is kind of what is happening with this auction. Spend 30 hours organizing the junk into lots for sale and taking pictures and writing descriptions to get $3. And then the auction house takes their 33% commission. And you have to pay the people taking the pictures and organizing the sale. For $100 of junk you get $30 and spend 60 hours working on it. I consider my time worth more than $0.50 per hour.

Re: Grizzly 8" Jointer For sale in Dallas TX $600

<jagkmhtf8f20obvced666tjol1hcb10qeb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8849&group=rec.woodworking#8849

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
References: <1113694559.659411.148720@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> <17238158912c7fa0$1$1360230$fd385da@news.newsgroupdirect.com> <7af02815-b138-42db-ac04-51d7c842d5d3n@googlegroups.com> <80ad2a90-3e81-4566-9433-0cce24cd8e5an@googlegroups.com> <6uvamhdh2su0ionuq15ds46u3ep59g9ac8@4ax.com> <pr0emhhb81b4l5pej3un8drddock3ca5bh@4ax.com> <021fe03a-532e-47ab-b0de-40c7b3a9eb4cn@googlegroups.com> <ek3fmh1dccf1dh43sasanpng0ksngp5ks2@4ax.com> <e9f09fdf-b024-4842-b580-80a9755c69b1n@googlegroups.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2022 07:04:30 -0500
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 12:04 UTC

On Mon, 7 Nov 2022 19:40:36 -0800 (PST), "russellseaton1@yahoo.com"
<ritzannaseaton@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 5:10:06 AM UTC-6, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>> On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 00:36:03 -0700 (PDT), "russell...@yahoo.com"
>> <ritzann...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Some of it was junk. But there was also a lot of quality pieces too.
>> > When I looked at all the pictures I kind of saw my own tool collection.
>> > Lot of stuff of all types. Some high end, some middle end, and some low end.
>> >The auction makes me kind of sad.
>> > If all my treasures were disposed of like this, in a mass auction,
>> > it would not bring the correct price.
>> >Much better to dispose of everything in a meticulous manner piece by piece.
>> >Then you might optimize the valuable items.
>> >Still lose on the lower items and most of the medium items.
>> >But your odds would be better for maximizing the total return.
>> >This big auction and everything goes quick is not a good way to sell tools.
>> >
>> Seriously ?
>> Can you imagine trying to sell off this much stuff through
>> online classified sites < CraigsList, Kijiji, Facebook etc .. >
>> ... there are 382 auction lots - how many online arses are
>> you going to be forced to meet and haggle with ?
>> If we just look at clamps - he has almost 100 - arranged in
>> about a dozen lots .. I can see it taking forever to get top dollar
>> for them by selling through online classified sites - in the process
>> you'd be dealing with low-ballers and people who want 2-of-those
>> and 2-of-these .. agreeing to come for them and not showing up..
>> etc etc
>> .. and then you've only sold the clamps - you've just begun !
>> .. uuugggh .. shudder ..
>> Usually the final selling prices are shown the day-after
>> the sale closes - I strongly suspect that this guy will get fair
>> dollar for most of his stuff - and it will be all gone on the
>> scheduled pick-up day. No fuss, no muss, no dickering.
>> It's by-far the best way < the only way > to sell
>> such a large quantity of stuff.
>> John T.
>
> And then the auction house takes their 33% commission.
> And you have to pay the people taking the pictures and organizing the sale.

The auctioneer in this case gets 15 % from the _buyer_
< not 33 % from the seller ! >
John T.

Re: Grizzly 8" Jointer For sale in Dallas TX $600

<6m9lmh9uhnseo8benkehvd4m5b4op6lntg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8850&group=rec.woodworking#8850

From: krw@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2022 14:06:50 -0500
 by: krw@notreal.com - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 19:06 UTC

> [...]

it.
>I consider my time worth more than $0.50 per hour.

After my MIL died, we just hired an auction house to sell everything
off. It wasn't worth my time to even go through the closets. They
came in, did the auction, carted what didn't sell off, and gave us a
check. I'd have had them do it for nothing but it worked out. The
auction house was very professional and even cleaned up the house
after. Even after their cut (30%, IIRC), we probably got more than we
would have ourselves.

You're right, even though I was off work tying up loose ends, it still
wasn't worth my time dumping it, much less selling it. What we got
was money falling from the trees, as far as I was concerned.

Re: Grizzly 8" Jointer For sale in Dallas TX $600

<5378d3ac-e01c-410c-944a-492708dc6c0bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8853&group=rec.woodworking#8853

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 13:11:59 -0800 (PST)
From: ritzannaseaton@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 21:11 UTC

On Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at 1:06:56 PM UTC-6, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> [...]
> it.
> >I consider my time worth more than $0.50 per hour.
> After my MIL died, we just hired an auction house to sell everything
> off. It wasn't worth my time to even go through the closets. They
> came in, did the auction, carted what didn't sell off, and gave us a
> check. I'd have had them do it for nothing but it worked out. The
> auction house was very professional and even cleaned up the house
> after. Even after their cut (30%, IIRC), we probably got more than we
> would have ourselves.
>
> You're right, even though I was off work tying up loose ends, it still
> wasn't worth my time dumping it, much less selling it. What we got
> was money falling from the trees, as far as I was concerned.

OK. I am not arguing too strenuously against anyone just selling everything and being done with it. Easier the better. And it is possible with the auction linked above and all of the pictures, that is what happened. Children inherited everything and are not even close to home. So they just want to be done with it and settle up. No interest in tools.

As for me I sort of know which relatives will get my tools. Sort of. Hopefully much later on I can start passing the tools down to them the way I want to and avoid any mass sell off. Just have the pure junk stuff left over.. Which can be tossed and no harm done.

As for the auction and its pictures linked above, I was coming at it from a tool lover perspective who wants to get maximum value for each tool. If they were my tools, I would go through them all and keep some of them and not sell them. I actually own many of the tools being sold in the auction. And am sort of glad I do own them. I would not want to get rid of them. And some of the other tools in the auction, I might stash under the table to take home with me. Not all of them, but some were definitely worth keeping. And even all of the junk stuff being sold, I have some junk too. And sometimes its good to have it around. There was one picture of a bunch of punches. I used a punch to unjam a coil roofing nailer last fall when roofing the house. So its good to have punches. Even though they looked like junk being sold off.

Re: Grizzly 8" Jointer For sale in Dallas TX $600

<ij1mmh1dopvt1r4cdp3h9u32j4dbjdsi6u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8856&group=rec.woodworking#8856

From: krw@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
References: <7af02815-b138-42db-ac04-51d7c842d5d3n@googlegroups.com> <80ad2a90-3e81-4566-9433-0cce24cd8e5an@googlegroups.com> <6uvamhdh2su0ionuq15ds46u3ep59g9ac8@4ax.com> <pr0emhhb81b4l5pej3un8drddock3ca5bh@4ax.com> <021fe03a-532e-47ab-b0de-40c7b3a9eb4cn@googlegroups.com> <ek3fmh1dccf1dh43sasanpng0ksngp5ks2@4ax.com> <e9f09fdf-b024-4842-b580-80a9755c69b1n@googlegroups.com> <6m9lmh9uhnseo8benkehvd4m5b4op6lntg@4ax.com> <5378d3ac-e01c-410c-944a-492708dc6c0bn@googlegroups.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2022 20:49:21 -0500
 by: krw@notreal.com - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 01:49 UTC

On Tue, 8 Nov 2022 13:11:59 -0800 (PST), "russellseaton1@yahoo.com"
> [...]

>As for the auction and its pictures linked above, I was coming at it from a tool lover perspective who wants to get maximum value for each tool. If they were my tools, I would go through them all and keep some of them and not sell them. I actually own many of the tools being sold in the auction. And am sort of glad I do own them. I would not want to get rid of them. And some of the other tools in the auction, I might stash under the table to take home with me. Not all of them, but some were definitely worth keeping. And even all of the junk stuff being sold, I have some junk too. And sometimes its good to have it around. There was one picture of a bunch of punches. I used a punch to unjam a coil roofing nailer last fall when roofing the house. So its good to have punches. Even though they looked like junk being sold off.

Obviously this is situational. I'd have no one to leave them to but
would like to find a good home for them. If there were a maker place
with a 501-C3 around, it would be a good place. There is a rather
significant pile of money there.