From: timw@nothanks.com (TimW)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Re: drawings of wooden planes
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 17:39:43 +0000
 by: TimW - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 17:39 UTC

On 31/10/2022 21:23, pyotr filipivich wrote:
> TimW <timw@nothanks.com> on Mon, 31 Oct 2022 11:39:24 +0000 typed in
> rec.woodworking the following:
>> I am thinking of making myself an item I believe is called a scraper
>> plane; a short block plane with a blade at or nearly at 90deg vertical
>> for difficult grain. Would i find a good drawing as a starting point
>> online somewhere? where? I see there are a few youtubes of plane making,
>> some of them good.
>
> Sounds like you want a tool for holding a scraper.
>
> The trick here is getting the proper edge on the scraper.
> Basically, you want to roll the edge of the scraper to put a fine burr
> on the blade.
> (ASCII art follows)

> the L is where the edge has been "pushed over" making the burr which
> does the actual "scrape" to remover wood fibers.
>
> Scraper planes just hold the scraper at the proper angle vertically to
> have that L engage the wood. Easier on the thumbs.
>
> If you google on scraper blade planes you find all sort of images.
> Personally, this week, I'm not doing enough to justify the hassle of
> setting up a scraper plane. Next month is another subject.

I know what you are talking about but I am after something else. Like
when you take the iron out of a plane and scrape with it: no burr and
not at an oblique angle but scraping with it at 90 degrees.

Tim W

Re: drawings of wooden planes

<9jpnmh17h8e8401nut23357oj079nci8kt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8862&group=rec.woodworking#8862

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 09:49:00 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 17:49 UTC

TimW <timw@nothanks.com> on Wed, 9 Nov 2022 17:39:43 +0000 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
>On 31/10/2022 21:23, pyotr filipivich wrote:
>> TimW <timw@nothanks.com> on Mon, 31 Oct 2022 11:39:24 +0000 typed in
>> rec.woodworking the following:
>>> I am thinking of making myself an item I believe is called a scraper
>>> plane; a short block plane with a blade at or nearly at 90deg vertical
>>> for difficult grain. Would i find a good drawing as a starting point
>>> online somewhere? where? I see there are a few youtubes of plane making,
>>> some of them good.
>>
>> Sounds like you want a tool for holding a scraper.
>>
>> The trick here is getting the proper edge on the scraper.
>> Basically, you want to roll the edge of the scraper to put a fine burr
>> on the blade.
>> (ASCII art follows)

>> the L is where the edge has been "pushed over" making the burr which
>> does the actual "scrape" to remover wood fibers.
>>
>> Scraper planes just hold the scraper at the proper angle vertically to
>> have that L engage the wood. Easier on the thumbs.
>>
>> If you google on scraper blade planes you find all sort of images.
>> Personally, this week, I'm not doing enough to justify the hassle of
>> setting up a scraper plane. Next month is another subject.
>
>I know what you are talking about but I am after something else. Like
>when you take the iron out of a plane and scrape with it: no burr and
>not at an oblique angle but scraping with it at 90 degrees.

Hmmm. Maybe that's why mine "doesn't work".
--
pyotr filipivich