Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: SouRce for Milwaukee 6496 SCMS motor
From: s@s.com (s)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 15:23:00 +0000
 by: s - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 15:23 UTC

My old Milwaukee 6496 SCMS blew out its motor the other day. All the online
sources say it's been discontinued and no longer available.I've also tried
local places without results. Any ideas where I might get one? I hate to
throw it out. It's been a great saw over the years.
Thx

Re: SouRce for Milwaukee 6496 SCMS motor

<2dc7nhlp4h73gnu6ebhbet234e8udvnbrg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8899&group=rec.woodworking#8899

From: krw@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Re: SouRce for Milwaukee 6496 SCMS motor
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 10:36:30 -0500
 by: krw@notreal.com - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 15:36 UTC

On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 15:23:00 +0000, s <s@s.com> wrote:

>My old Milwaukee 6496 SCMS blew out its motor the other day. All the online
>sources say it's been discontinued and no longer available.I've also tried
>local places without results. Any ideas where I might get one? I hate to
>throw it out. It's been a great saw over the years.
>Thx

Do you know what's wrong with it? A set of brushes can be had on eBay
for small money ($10-$15). It might be worth a try.

Re: SouRce for Milwaukee 6496 SCMS motor

<vyOdndlvVe-AL-7-nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8900&group=rec.woodworking#8900

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 09:37:01 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 15:37 UTC

On 11/15/2022 9:23 AM, s wrote:
> My old Milwaukee 6496 SCMS blew out its motor the other day. All the online
> sources say it's been discontinued and no longer available.I've also tried
> local places without results. Any ideas where I might get one? I hate to
> throw it out. It's been a great saw over the years.
> Thx

I dont think you are going to find a motor assembly so much as parts to
repair the motor.

Look here and check you serial number.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/search_result.php?manufacturer=Milwaukee&q=6496

Re: SouRce for Milwaukee 6496 SCMS motor

<XnsAF528D0B6F5E4s@185.151.13.165>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8911&group=rec.woodworking#8911

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: s@s.com (s)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 19:51:55 +0000
 by: s - Thu, 17 Nov 2022 19:51 UTC

Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in

> On 11/15/2022 9:23 AM, s wrote:
>> My old Milwaukee 6496 SCMS blew out its motor the other day. All the
>> online sources say it's been discontinued and no longer
>> available.I've also tried local places without results. Any ideas
>> where I might get one? I hate to throw it out. It's been a great saw
>> over the years. Thx
>

> I dont think you are going to find a motor assembly so much as parts
> to repair the motor.
>
> Look here and check you serial number.
>
> https://www.ereplacementparts.com/search_result.php?manufacturer=Milwau
> kee&q=6496

Bigger issue than brushes. There was a spactacular display of sparks and
smoke when I turned it on. The circuit breaker would continually blow when
the saw was plugged in .

Ereplacement parts said the parts were discontinued and not available ---
no replacement to be had.

Re: SouRce for Milwaukee 6496 SCMS motor

<138dnhdpfi4vhvmjelqvnqk3l1vt4fsfn2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8912&group=rec.woodworking#8912

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 16:02:58 -0500
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Thu, 17 Nov 2022 21:02 UTC

On Thu, 17 Nov 2022 19:51:55 +0000, s <s@s.com> wrote:

>Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in
>
>> On 11/15/2022 9:23 AM, s wrote:
>>> My old Milwaukee 6496 SCMS blew out its motor the other day. All the
>>> online sources say it's been discontinued and no longer
>>> available.I've also tried local places without results. Any ideas
>>> where I might get one? I hate to throw it out. It's been a great saw
>>> over the years. Thx
>>

>> I dont think you are going to find a motor assembly so much as parts
>> to repair the motor.
>>
>> Look here and check you serial number.
>>
>> https://www.ereplacementparts.com/search_result.php?manufacturer=Milwau
>> kee&q=6496
>>

>Bigger issue than brushes. There was a spactacular display of sparks and
>smoke when I turned it on. The circuit breaker would continually blow when
>the saw was plugged in .

I'm trying to imagine what might happen when a brush
wears down to nothing and/or breaks apart into wee bits -
and the brush spring attempts to get involved with the
internal electric parts ... hmm ... smoke & sparks perhaps ?
.. it's a pretty simple place to start some trouble-shooting -
before replacing the motor..
John T.

Re: SouRce for Milwaukee 6496 SCMS motor

<XnsAF52A310CC0DAs@185.151.13.167>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8913&group=rec.woodworking#8913

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: s@s.com (s)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 22:01:48 +0000
 by: s - Thu, 17 Nov 2022 22:01 UTC

hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote in

> On Thu, 17 Nov 2022 19:51:55 +0000, s <s@s.com> wrote:
>
>>Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in

>>> I dont think you are going to find a motor assembly so much as parts
>>> to repair the motor.
>>>
>>> Look here and check you serial number.
>>>
>>> https://www.ereplacementparts.com/search_result.php?
manufacturer=Milw
>>> au kee&q=6496
>>>

>>Bigger issue than brushes. There was a spactacular display of sparks
>>and smoke when I turned it on. The circuit breaker would continually
>>blow when the saw was plugged in .
>>

> I'm trying to imagine what might happen when a brush
> wears down to nothing and/or breaks apart into wee bits -
> and the brush spring attempts to get involved with the
> internal electric parts ... hmm ... smoke & sparks perhaps ?
> .. it's a pretty simple place to start some trouble-shooting -
> before replacing the motor..
> John T.

Yeah --- I thought about that also and looked. Brushes had plenty of
life in them and wiring was ok -- I couldn't see much of the armature or
winding with just the rear cover off. I haven't removed the entire
housing -- yet.