"I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens." -- Woody Allen

interests / rec.woodworking / Re: Vinyl Plank Expansion Gap (Wood Also)

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Vinyl Plank Expansion Gap (Wood Also)Leon
+- Re: Vinyl Plank Expansion Gap (Wood Also)DerbyDad03
`* Re: Vinyl Plank Expansion Gap (Wood Also)russellseaton1@yahoo.com
 +* Re: Vinyl Plank Expansion Gap (Wood Also)DerbyDad03
 |`- Re: Vinyl Plank Expansion Gap (Wood Also)Leon
 `- Re: Vinyl Plank Expansion Gap (Wood Also)Leon

1
Re: Vinyl Plank Expansion Gap (Wood Also)

<_86cnRphf6gpwyn-nZ2dnZfqnPcAAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8921&group=rec.woodworking#8921

Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 10:58:28 -0600
Subject: Re: Vinyl Plank Expansion Gap (Wood Also)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 16:58 UTC

On 12/30/2022 7:26 PM, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Friday, December 30, 2022 at 11:18:56 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
>> This question relates specifically to Luxury Vinyl Plank (since that is
>> what I am installing) but I think that it applies to hardwood floors also.
>>

> Oh my!!!!!! LUXURY Vinyl Plank. Not regular, average, common Vinyl Plank. No sir. LUXURY!!!!!!!
>
> Nothing to add from me. Just kidding you. The flooring you are installing is officially called Luxury Vinyl Plank? I guess the makers, sellers, of this product really want folks to believe they are getting the best. So they just come right out and say its Luxury.

You have not heard of Luxury Vinyl flooring? It is all the rage with
new homes now. My wife and I were going to build a new home 2 years
ago and the builder was offering this product. The model had a wood
appearance. I could not tell that it was not real wood. It does not
crack, it installs quickly, and water does not harm it.

>> I'm installing LVP in my kitchen and office. It's essentially a "single floor"
>> since the office is connected to the kitchen via a 48" wide opening.
>>
>> The standard practice for LVP is to leave a 1/4" expansion gap around
>> the perimeter. Fine. No problem. Kitchen's done and I'll start the office
>> as soon as I move everything back into the kitchen - and therein lies
>> the rub.
>>
>> I'm about to move the range, refrigerator, two 32" x 84" cabinet/bookcase
>> units and a 40 gallon aquarium back into the kitchen. In the office, I have
>> a large antique, hardwood desk and matching hutch. The recliner and
>> loveseat are lightweights compared to those 2 pieces. All of these pieces,
>> in both rooms, are up against different walls.
>>
>> I find it impossible that the floor is actually going to move those pieces
>> and use the 1/4" expansion gaps. I think that the weight is going to hold
>> the planks under the pieces down solid and any expansion will be forced
>> towards the middle of the room(s). I can't be alone in this situation.
>>
>> Am I wrong?

Re: Vinyl Plank Expansion Gap (Wood Also)

<79d5a8d4-1927-49bd-afb3-b7fe774d946an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8929&group=rec.woodworking#8929

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 14:58:52 -0800 (PST)
From: teamarrows@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 22:58 UTC

On Tuesday, January 3, 2023 at 11:58:37 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
> On 12/30/2022 7:26 PM, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > On Friday, December 30, 2022 at 11:18:56 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> >> This question relates specifically to Luxury Vinyl Plank (since that is
> >> what I am installing) but I think that it applies to hardwood floors also.
> >>

> > Oh my!!!!!! LUXURY Vinyl Plank. Not regular, average, common Vinyl Plank. No sir. LUXURY!!!!!!!
> >
> > Nothing to add from me. Just kidding you. The flooring you are installing is officially called Luxury Vinyl Plank? I guess the makers, sellers, of this product really want folks to believe they are getting the best. So they just come right out and say its Luxury.
> You have not heard of Luxury Vinyl flooring? It is all the rage with
> new homes now. My wife and I were going to build a new home 2 years
> ago and the builder was offering this product. The model had a wood
> appearance. I could not tell that it was not real wood. It does not
> crack, it installs quickly, and water does not harm it.

In addition, it's as DIY as it gets. Sure there are exceptions, and some
installs are harder than others, but if you're the least bit handy, you can
do it.

There's a gazillion YT videos for how to go around pipes, under doorways,
stairs, whatever. You can cut the planks just like you do drywall (score and
snap).

You don't really *need* any special tools, but I got lucky. It helps if you have
pull bar for doing areas like toe kicks, etc. so I went to HD to get one. The
website said my local store had them in stock for $10. Nope. None on the
shelf. I talked to the flooring guy and he said "Let's grab the $20 kit that has
the bar and some spacers. I'll give to you for $10". There were 2 kits on
the shelf, both of them missing the bar (stolen). The guy grabbed this $40
kit (bar, block, upgraded spacers and hammer).

<https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifeproof-Pro-Flooring-Installation-Kit-for-Hardwood-Laminate-and-Vinyl-LP2218/318946562>

He walked me up to the cashier and told her "Charge him $10". I could
have gotten by without everything but the bar, but having all the right stuff
really helped. Would I have spent $40 had I known how much all that stuff
helped? Probably.

Re: Vinyl Plank Expansion Gap (Wood Also)

<b30ee347-5a87-45d2-9d12-e9e72d059628n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8931&group=rec.woodworking#8931

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 15:48:33 -0800 (PST)
From: ritzannaseaton@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 23:48 UTC

On Tuesday, January 3, 2023 at 10:58:37 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
> On 12/30/2022 7:26 PM, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > On Friday, December 30, 2022 at 11:18:56 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> >> This question relates specifically to Luxury Vinyl Plank (since that is
> >> what I am installing) but I think that it applies to hardwood floors also.
> >>

> > Oh my!!!!!! LUXURY Vinyl Plank. Not regular, average, common Vinyl Plank. No sir. LUXURY!!!!!!!
> >
> > Nothing to add from me. Just kidding you. The flooring you are installing is officially called Luxury Vinyl Plank? I guess the makers, sellers, of this product really want folks to believe they are getting the best. So they just come right out and say its Luxury.

> You have not heard of Luxury Vinyl flooring? It is all the rage with
> new homes now. My wife and I were going to build a new home 2 years
> ago and the builder was offering this product. The model had a wood
> appearance. I could not tell that it was not real wood. It does not
> crack, it installs quickly, and water does not harm it.

My comments were directed at the official name of this product. "LUXURY" vinyl flooring. Or Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring. The LUXURY part is what I was questioning. The word luxury is an adjective. A descriptive word for a noun. Vinyl flooring is the noun.

An example. Wife. Many men have a wife. When introducing your wife to a person, do you introduce her as my Sexy Wife? Or my Fat Wife? Or my Ugly Wife? Or my Lazy Wife? Hopefully not. So does it make sense to say Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring? Why not just say its Vinyl Plank flooring? You have to add the word Plank to distinguish it from sheet vinyl flooring.

As for your experience of seeing it in a house. It may be very good at appearing as real wood. And has benefits over real wood when it comes to durability and expansion. But is it Luxury Vinyl flooring? Or is it luxurious Vinyl flooring?

> >> I'm installing LVP in my kitchen and office. It's essentially a "single floor"
> >> since the office is connected to the kitchen via a 48" wide opening.
> >>
> >> The standard practice for LVP is to leave a 1/4" expansion gap around
> >> the perimeter. Fine. No problem. Kitchen's done and I'll start the office
> >> as soon as I move everything back into the kitchen - and therein lies
> >> the rub.
> >>
> >> I'm about to move the range, refrigerator, two 32" x 84" cabinet/bookcase
> >> units and a 40 gallon aquarium back into the kitchen. In the office, I have
> >> a large antique, hardwood desk and matching hutch. The recliner and
> >> loveseat are lightweights compared to those 2 pieces. All of these pieces,
> >> in both rooms, are up against different walls.
> >>
> >> I find it impossible that the floor is actually going to move those pieces
> >> and use the 1/4" expansion gaps. I think that the weight is going to hold
> >> the planks under the pieces down solid and any expansion will be forced
> >> towards the middle of the room(s). I can't be alone in this situation.
> >>
> >> Am I wrong?

Re: Vinyl Plank Expansion Gap (Wood Also)

<c9329552-6459-4e26-ae67-95f80c079c74n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8934&group=rec.woodworking#8934

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 18:41:59 -0800 (PST)
From: teamarrows@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 02:41 UTC

On Tuesday, January 3, 2023 at 6:48:36 PM UTC-5, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 3, 2023 at 10:58:37 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
> > >>

> > > Oh my!!!!!! LUXURY Vinyl Plank. Not regular, average, common Vinyl Plank. No sir. LUXURY!!!!!!!
> > >
> > > Nothing to add from me. Just kidding you. The flooring you are installing is officially called Luxury Vinyl Plank? I guess the makers, sellers, of this product really want folks to believe they are getting the best. So they just come right out and say its Luxury.
>
> > You have not heard of Luxury Vinyl flooring? It is all the rage with
> > new homes now. My wife and I were going to build a new home 2 years
> > ago and the builder was offering this product. The model had a wood
> > appearance. I could not tell that it was not real wood. It does not
> > crack, it installs quickly, and water does not harm it.
> My comments were directed at the official name of this product. "LUXURY" vinyl flooring. Or Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring. The LUXURY part is what I was questioning. The word luxury is an adjective. A descriptive word for a noun. Vinyl flooring is the noun.

The word luxury is also a noun.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/luxury

> An example. Wife. Many men have a wife. When introducing your wife to a person, do you introduce her as my Sexy Wife? Or my Fat Wife? Or my Ugly Wife? Or my Lazy Wife? Hopefully not.

> So does it make sense to say Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring? Why not just say its Vinyl Plank flooring? You have to add the word Plank to distinguish it from sheet vinyl flooring.

Don't forget Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT) vs vinyl tiles - i.e "standard" vinyl tile, not Luxury Vinyl Tile.

LVP and LVT are subsets of the larger set know as LVF - Luxury Vinyl Flooring which was
developed specifically to be a step up from the vinyl sheet and tiles that has been around for
years.

See here for an article entitled "The Evolution of Vinyl Flooring"

https://www.tasupply.com/2019/07/03/the-evolution-of-vinyl-flooring/

> As for your experience of seeing it in a house. It may be very good at appearing as real wood. And has benefits over real wood when it comes to durability and expansion. But is it Luxury Vinyl flooring? Or is it luxurious Vinyl flooring?

Easy way to find out...go to a flooring store and ask for luxurious Vinyl flooring. Let us know what they say.

Re: Vinyl Plank Expansion Gap (Wood Also)

<bumcndbQ8OwNOCj-nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8936&group=rec.woodworking#8936

Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 10:13:04 -0600
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
 by: Leon - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 16:13 UTC

On 1/3/2023 5:48 PM, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 3, 2023 at 10:58:37 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
>>>>

>>> Oh my!!!!!! LUXURY Vinyl Plank. Not regular, average, common Vinyl Plank. No sir. LUXURY!!!!!!!
>>>
>>> Nothing to add from me. Just kidding you. The flooring you are installing is officially called Luxury Vinyl Plank? I guess the makers, sellers, of this product really want folks to believe they are getting the best. So they just come right out and say its Luxury.
>
>> You have not heard of Luxury Vinyl flooring? It is all the rage with
>> new homes now. My wife and I were going to build a new home 2 years
>> ago and the builder was offering this product. The model had a wood
>> appearance. I could not tell that it was not real wood. It does not
>> crack, it installs quickly, and water does not harm it.
>
> My comments were directed at the official name of this product. "LUXURY" vinyl flooring. Or Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring. The LUXURY part is what I was questioning. The word luxury is an adjective. A descriptive word for a noun. Vinyl flooring is the noun.

Yes, Luxury is the description of a particular type vinyl flooring. It
typically looks like wood plank flooring, or tile flooring, or
Engendered flooring. Luxury is not the brand name but the name for the
type of vinyl flooring.

> An example. Wife. Many men have a wife. When introducing your wife to a person, do you introduce her as my Sexy Wife? Or my Fat Wife? Or my Ugly Wife? Or my Lazy Wife? Hopefully not. So does it make sense to say Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring? Why not just say its Vinyl Plank flooring? You have to add the word Plank to distinguish it from sheet vinyl flooring.

Yes, there is a difference between Luxury Vinyl flooring and Vinyl
flooring. Typically Luxury Vinyl flooring inter locks like other plank
flooring's and typically has a soft rubber backing to absorb sound and
soften the feel when walking on it among other desirable features. The
underlayment is attached. The surface is scratch resistant, and many
come with a life time warranty for homeowner use.

> As for your experience of seeing it in a house. It may be very good at appearing as real wood. And has benefits over real wood when it comes to durability and expansion. But is it Luxury Vinyl flooring? Or is it luxurious Vinyl flooring?

It is identifies as Luxury Vinyl Flooring by most all that manufacture
this type flooring. Brand does not matter.

Think of it this way, Is it a solid wood floor or an engineered wood floor.

Re: Vinyl Plank Expansion Gap (Wood Also)

<EuWcnSUXhZ3-Nyj-nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8939&group=rec.woodworking#8939

Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 10:33:39 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 16:33 UTC

On 1/3/2023 8:41 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 3, 2023 at 6:48:36 PM UTC-5, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:

>>> You have not heard of Luxury Vinyl flooring? It is all the rage with
>>> new homes now. My wife and I were going to build a new home 2 years
>>> ago and the builder was offering this product. The model had a wood
>>> appearance. I could not tell that it was not real wood. It does not
>>> crack, it installs quickly, and water does not harm it.
>> My comments were directed at the official name of this product. "LUXURY" vinyl flooring. Or Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring. The LUXURY part is what I was questioning. The word luxury is an adjective. A descriptive word for a noun. Vinyl flooring is the noun.
>
> The word luxury is also a noun.
>
> https://www.dictionary.com/browse/luxury
>

>> An example. Wife. Many men have a wife. When introducing your wife to a person, do you introduce her as my Sexy Wife? Or my Fat Wife? Or my Ugly Wife? Or my Lazy Wife? Hopefully not.
>
>> So does it make sense to say Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring? Why not just say its Vinyl Plank flooring? You have to add the word Plank to distinguish it from sheet vinyl flooring.
>
> Don't forget Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT) vs vinyl tiles - i.e "standard" vinyl tile, not Luxury Vinyl Tile.
>
> LVP and LVT are subsets of the larger set know as LVF - Luxury Vinyl Flooring which was
> developed specifically to be a step up from the vinyl sheet and tiles that has been around for
> years.
>
> See here for an article entitled "The Evolution of Vinyl Flooring"
>
> https://www.tasupply.com/2019/07/03/the-evolution-of-vinyl-flooring/
>

>> As for your experience of seeing it in a house. It may be very good at appearing as real wood. And has benefits over real wood when it comes to durability and expansion. But is it Luxury Vinyl flooring? Or is it luxurious Vinyl flooring?
>
> Easy way to find out...go to a flooring store and ask for luxurious Vinyl flooring. Let us know what they say.

I got a kick out of that link. It mentioned that it is not uncommon
for the Europeans to take their LVF with them when they move.

I also recall that it is not uncommon for the Europeans to take their
kitchen cabinets with them when they move too.