From: michael.trew@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking,rec.woodworking
Subject: Re: Woodworkers; Sewing Wood?
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2023 14:20:40 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 19:20 UTC

On 2/7/2023 2:10, Sqwertz wrote:
> I needed some baseboards for the bathroom vanity, so I gently
> bounced this 40" x 62" picture frame on opposite corners until it
> broke gradually and gently. I was hearing this weird ripping sound
> just figuring it was some old wood.
>
> Nope! Somebody sewed the picture frame together on all 4 corners
> with brass wire, I thought somebody put a couple modern finishing
> nails in it to make it true/sturdy again, but on closer
> inspection, the nails look handmade as well. And on even closer
> closer inspection, whatever pictures was in here was sewn in with
> a wire thread at least 1/10th the gauge of the sewn frame itself.
> And at an average of about 13 TPI over almost 200 linear inches
> (inside diameter). Frame is 1.5" x 3/4" thick solid wood.
>
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/ZhL6SDb/bab89896
>
> I cannot find any real references to sewing wood, so I'm really
> curious as to what, who, where, when, why?

Re: Woodworkers; Sewing Wood?

<88f6bbbe-099b-46cf-aed2-2156820f7d8en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9104&group=rec.woodworking#9104

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 12:44:18 -0800 (PST)
From: grossboj@gmail.com (John Grossbohlin)
 by: John Grossbohlin - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 20:44 UTC

Sewing wood isn't unusual... Look into stitch and glue frames for skin on frame kayaks and other boats. Copper wire for same is available at https://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/boat-building-supplies-epoxy-fiberglass-plywood/boat-fasteners-hardware/copper-wire-roll.html