You can't play your friends like marks, kid. -- Henry Gondorf, "The Sting"

interests / rec.woodworking / Re: Kitchen Re-do

SubjectAuthor
* Kitchen Re-doLeon
`* Re: Kitchen Re-doMichael Trew
 `* Re: Kitchen Re-doLeon
  +* Re: Kitchen Re-doEd Pawlowski
  |+* Re: Kitchen Re-doJohn Grossbohlin
  ||`- Re: Kitchen Re-doLeon
  |`- Re: Kitchen Re-doLeon
  `* Re: Kitchen Re-doDerbyDad03
   `- Re: Kitchen Re-doLeon

1
Kitchen Re-do

<AdCcnW7FAKJmoXz-nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9100&group=rec.woodworking#9100

Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 11:46:35 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Subject: Kitchen Re-do
 by: Leon - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 17:46 UTC

We have begun our kitchen re-do.

Tile guys are here and the tile has been removed from the kitchen, mid
point of the house.

We masked but that has not been great but towels at the bottom of closed
doors has worked well. Roomba will be busy!

We are going with a very close match tile but with a wood plank
appearance. We did not want to see a stark color change in our flooring
from out entry way through the kitchen to the living room.

You can see the old tile color and the new tile color in the following
pictures.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52673207764/in/datetaken/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52673236899/in/datetaken/

I'll post more progress pictures as I build new cabinets and the counter
tops go in, 30+ linear feet of new counter tops.

Re: Kitchen Re-do

<trrmgm$36g5i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9101&group=rec.woodworking#9101

From: michael.trew@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Re: Kitchen Re-do
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 15:04:37 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 20:04 UTC

On 2/6/2023 12:46, Leon wrote:
> We have begun our kitchen re-do.
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52673207764/in/datetaken/
>
> I'll post more progress pictures as I build new cabinets and the counter
> tops go in, 30+ linear feet of new counter tops.

Those aren't the new cabinets installed?? They already look brand new!

Re: Kitchen Re-do

<DdWcna_SP8TC6H_-nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9102&group=rec.woodworking#9102

Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 09:59:27 -0600
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
 by: Leon - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 15:59 UTC

On 2/6/2023 2:04 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 2/6/2023 12:46, Leon wrote:
>> We have begun our kitchen re-do.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52673207764/in/datetaken/
>>
>> I'll post more progress pictures as I build new cabinets and the counter
>> tops go in, 30+ linear feet of new counter tops.
>
> Those aren't the new cabinets installed??  They already look brand new!

No, those in the picture are the 12 year old cabinets. We are actually
keeping the cabinets under the sink all around the corner to the range
including the upper around to the range.

And we are changing color. This dark brown/mocha color was the rage 12
years ago but there are disadvantages to this color and style. It was
funny, the builder was building the spec homes with the normal golden
oak or similar color cabinets. We built from the ground up choosing
everything and went with the dark cabinets. After the builder and
designers saw our kitchen they built every, remaining spec home in our
neighborhood, with the dark cabinets. And then asked to take pictures
of our entire house for the designers to copy for a model home in a
different new neighborhood.

Ill be replacing cabinets to the left of the range, upper and lower and
to the right of the sink, upper and lower.

The basic plan was to change the length of the counter top between the
refrigerator and the range to 56". The current counter top is 18"
long. That 18" counter top cabinet will be moved to the right of the
dishwasher and repurposed to be a pull out trash receptacle holding 2,
13 gallon containers.

Then the refrigerator will be relocated to the right of the repurposed
trash receptacle, on the sink side wall.

And then the additional 11' of pony wall counter cabinets.

This is where we are headed, the table and chairs are for illustration.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52674839106/in/datetaken/

This is the new floor.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52674328507/in/datetaken/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52674833676/in/datetaken/

Re: Kitchen Re-do

<A1zEL.420942$gGD7.313367@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9105&group=rec.woodworking#9105

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: esp@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 16:04:31 -0500
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 21:04 UTC

On 2/7/2023 10:59 AM, Leon wrote:

> This is the new floor.
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52674328507/in/datetaken/
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52674833676/in/datetaken/

People make jokes about stepping on Lego blocks. Takes a real pro to
navigate your floor.

Re: Kitchen Re-do

<aa16e29e-39b8-4fbe-9825-de81b0a1fc95n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9106&group=rec.woodworking#9106

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 13:23:58 -0800 (PST)
From: grossboj@gmail.com (John Grossbohlin)
 by: John Grossbohlin - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 21:23 UTC

On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 4:04:37 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/7/2023 10:59 AM, Leon wrote:
>
> > This is the new floor.
> >
> > https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52674328507/in/datetaken/
> >
> > https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52674833676/in/datetaken/
> >

> People make jokes about stepping on Lego blocks. Takes a real pro to
> navigate your floor.

For some reason that photo reminds me of a movie scene where a floor was covered with mouse traps. ;~)

Re: Kitchen Re-do

<83e8d6a7-6d40-4fcc-b4b2-d5ab681f4361n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9108&group=rec.woodworking#9108

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 16:49:26 -0800 (PST)
From: teamarrows@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 00:49 UTC

On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 10:59:36 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
> On 2/6/2023 2:04 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> > On 2/6/2023 12:46, Leon wrote:
> >> We have begun our kitchen re-do.
> >>
> >> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52673207764/in/datetaken/
> >>
> >> I'll post more progress pictures as I build new cabinets and the counter
> >> tops go in, 30+ linear feet of new counter tops.
> >
> > Those aren't the new cabinets installed?? They already look brand new!
> No, those in the picture are the 12 year old cabinets. We are actually
> keeping the cabinets under the sink all around the corner to the range
> including the upper around to the range.
>
> And we are changing color. This dark brown/mocha color was the rage 12
> years ago but there are disadvantages to this color and style. It was
> funny, the builder was building the spec homes with the normal golden
> oak or similar color cabinets. We built from the ground up choosing
> everything and went with the dark cabinets. After the builder and
> designers saw our kitchen they built every, remaining spec home in our
> neighborhood, with the dark cabinets. And then asked to take pictures
> of our entire house for the designers to copy for a model home in a
> different new neighborhood.
>
> Ill be replacing cabinets to the left of the range, upper and lower and
> to the right of the sink, upper and lower.
>
> The basic plan was to change the length of the counter top between the
> refrigerator and the range to 56". The current counter top is 18"
> long. That 18" counter top cabinet will be moved to the right of the
> dishwasher and repurposed to be a pull out trash receptacle holding 2,
> 13 gallon containers.
>
> Then the refrigerator will be relocated to the right of the repurposed
> trash receptacle, on the sink side wall.
>
> And then the additional 11' of pony wall counter cabinets.
>
> This is where we are headed, the table and chairs are for illustration.

Are you going to have a table and chairs there?

Why not turn the island 90°, lengthen it, add an overhang and build/buy
some nice stools (with backs)? Have them facing the window wall, so
guests can talk to the cook.

Maybe even a prep sink in the island. I'd love one of those but my kitchen
is too small.

Re: Kitchen Re-do

<XbqdnTAnQ-YS1Hn-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9114&group=rec.woodworking#9114

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 19:17:04 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 01:17 UTC

On 2/7/2023 3:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/7/2023 10:59 AM, Leon wrote:
>
>> This is the new floor.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52674328507/in/datetaken/
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52674833676/in/datetaken/
>>

> People make jokes about stepping on Lego blocks.  Takes a real pro to
> navigate your floor.

Yes! Those were gone yesterday. The crew did a great job. Down
here the builders lay the tile up to the preinstalled baseboards. The
baseboards are about 3/8" up from the foundation. Then they grout the
gap at the baseboard, caulk over the grout at the baseboard, and paint.
The crew yesterday left me little to do. It already looks finished.

Re: Kitchen Re-do

<XbqdnTMnQ-ZG1Hn-nZ2dnZfqn_oAAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9115&group=rec.woodworking#9115

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 19:18:20 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 01:18 UTC

> On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 4:04:37 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 2/7/2023 10:59 AM, Leon wrote:
>>
>>> This is the new floor.
>>>
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52674328507/in/datetaken/
>>>
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/52674833676/in/datetaken/
>>>

>> People make jokes about stepping on Lego blocks. Takes a real pro to
>> navigate your floor.
>
> For some reason that photo reminds me of a movie scene where a floor was covered with mouse traps. ;~)

Yes it was like mouse traps. We decided to escape via another route
should we have needed to get out of the house quick.

Re: Kitchen Re-do

<i5-dnSrvQr4Rz3n-nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9117&group=rec.woodworking#9117

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 19:55:24 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 01:55 UTC

On 2/7/2023 6:49 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 10:59:36 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

>>> Those aren't the new cabinets installed?? They already look brand new!
>> No, those in the picture are the 12 year old cabinets. We are actually
>> keeping the cabinets under the sink all around the corner to the range
>> including the upper around to the range.
>>
>> And we are changing color. This dark brown/mocha color was the rage 12
>> years ago but there are disadvantages to this color and style. It was
>> funny, the builder was building the spec homes with the normal golden
>> oak or similar color cabinets. We built from the ground up choosing
>> everything and went with the dark cabinets. After the builder and
>> designers saw our kitchen they built every, remaining spec home in our
>> neighborhood, with the dark cabinets. And then asked to take pictures
>> of our entire house for the designers to copy for a model home in a
>> different new neighborhood.
>>
>> Ill be replacing cabinets to the left of the range, upper and lower and
>> to the right of the sink, upper and lower.
>>
>> The basic plan was to change the length of the counter top between the
>> refrigerator and the range to 56". The current counter top is 18"
>> long. That 18" counter top cabinet will be moved to the right of the
>> dishwasher and repurposed to be a pull out trash receptacle holding 2,
>> 13 gallon containers.
>>
>> Then the refrigerator will be relocated to the right of the repurposed
>> trash receptacle, on the sink side wall.
>>
>> And then the additional 11' of pony wall counter cabinets.
>>
>> This is where we are headed, the table and chairs are for illustration.
>
> Are you going to have a table and chairs there?
>
> Why not turn the island 90°, lengthen it, add an overhang and build/buy
> some nice stools (with backs)? Have them facing the window wall, so
> guests can talk to the cook.
>
> Maybe even a prep sink in the island. I'd love one of those but my
kitchen
> is too small.
I began designing this about 2 years ago and there were many iterations
of what to do with the island and table. I was not quite sure that how
all of this would fit together. The island old top is currently
outside. 3cm granite 36" x 48".

The island top is going to shrink to 24" x 48" and only cover the island
vs. over hanging 12". This gains us 12 inches of room for the table and
chairs. Additionally the island is moving about 8" closer to the range
and about 5" sway from the sink. We mostly used the extra island space
to serve food. With the pony wall cabinets and the 36" x 127" counter
top we will have a much larger serving area and the island will only be
used for food prep. We will be adding a larger sink, 33" long vs 30"
and it is likely going to be a Rivati work station sink. Single bowl
with lips to slide cutting boards, colanders, draining racks, etc.

https://www.ruvati.com/products/rvh8222-33-inch-workstation-two-tiered-ledge-kitchen-sink-undermount-16-gauge/

And quartz counter tops,

https://www.arizonatile.com/products/slab/della-terra-quartz/pro-storm