Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 09:46:53 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbell.net (Leon)
Subject: Bob Davis Miter Gauge
 by: Leon - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 15:46 UTC

No reply's?

That miter gauge has been around for quite some time. My only problem
with it is the short 36" fence capacity. Our local Woodcraft has one in
stock yesterday. And they are pretty pricey.

Alternatively have you looked at the SawStop miter gauges? They have 2
new ones and one is obviously made by Incra and painted black. The
other one is quite interesting, like nothing I have seen before. It's
cut capacity is not much more than the Jessem.

https://www.sawstop.com/miter-utc/

I added a longer telescoping fence to my Incra years ago so my capacity
IIRC is about 46". My biggest issue with the Incra is it's exclusive
feature of incremental adjustments. If you need to make an adjustment
of less than 1/32" you have to loosen stop settings and then
re-calibrate after making the cuts. I hated that. But for cutting
without needing to make cuts that do fall in the 1/32" increments it is
great. But sometimes you have to cut an odd length to make a piece fit
and that is the issue with me.

Moving on, for simple 90 degree cuts I also have the Woodpecker Exact 90
fence with the "Flop Stop" feature. It is great. It has a 42"
capacity. There is an issue with it that is easy to remedy once you
understand that it has an issue. The flip stop rotates on a threaded
rod. If you do not use a sacrificial fence this is no issue, you set
the stop and you are good to go. With a sacrificial fence you move the
stop to the front grove in the fence and you no longer easily see the
scale markings. So you flip the stop up and now it is easy to see the
markings. But when you flip it back down, and because it is on a
threaded rod, it moves off the mark about 1/64" of an inch. Then you
simply rotate the fine adjustment setting and you are good to go. No
calibration needed after the initial setup of attaching the fence to the
miter gauge. The miter bar is extra long and allows wide board cuts and
the "Flop Stop" keeps the fence from tilting when it is no longer
supported by the TS top.

https://www.woodpeck.com/exact-90-miter-gauge.html