Newsgroups: comp.programming.threads
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 07:03:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: More of my philosophy about silicon chip fabrication and technology
and more of my thoughts..
From: aminer68@gmail.com (Amine Moulay Ramdane)
 by: Amine Moulay Ramdane - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 14:03 UTC

Hello,

More of my philosophy about silicon chip fabrication and technology and more of my thoughts..

The atoms used in silicon chip fabrication are around 0.2nm,
so i think that we can make a transistor of one atom , you can
read about it here:

Scientists create new recipe for single-atom transistors

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200511092920.htm

So i think this gives an exponential growth of scalability with EUV(Extreme ultraviolet lithography) or such technology to around 2^5, and after that i think we can go to 3D or to the superconductor computer chips, read about them in my below thoughts, or use the following inventions, read about them carefully in my following writing and thoughts:

More of my philosophy about latency and contention and concurrency and parallelism and more of my thoughts..

I think i am highly smart and i have just posted, read it below,
about the new two inventions that will make logic gates thousands of times faster or a million times faster than those in existing computers,
and i think that there is still a problem with those new inventions,
and it is about the latency and concurrency, since you need concurrency
and you need preemptive or non-preemptive scheduling of the coroutines ,
so since the HBM is 106.7 ns in latency and the DDR4 is 73.3 ns in latency and the AMD 3D V-Cache has also almost the same cost in latency, so as you notice that this kind of latency is still costly , also there is a latency that is the Time slice that takes a coroutine to execute and it is costly in latency, since this kind of latency and Time slice is a waiting time that looks like the time wasted in a contention in parallelism, so by logical analogy this kind of latency and Time slice create like a contention like in parallelism that reduces scalability, so i think it is why those new inventions have this kind of limit or constraints in a "concurrency" envirenment..

And i invite you to read my following smart thoughts about preemptive and non-preemptive timesharing:

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.culture.morocco/c/JuC4jar661w

More of my philosophy about Fastest-ever logic gates and more of my thoughts..

"Logic gates are the fundamental building blocks of computers, and researchers at the University of Rochester have now developed the fastest ones ever created. By zapping graphene and gold with laser pulses, the new logic gates are a million times faster than those in existing computers, demonstrating the viability of “lightwave electronics.”. If these kinds of lightwave electronic devices ever do make it to market, they could be millions of times faster than today’s computers. Currently we measure processing speeds in Gigahertz (GHz), but these new logic gates function on the scale of Petahertz (PHz). Previous studies have set that as the absolute quantum limit of how fast light-based computer systems could possibly get."

Read more here:

https://newatlas.com/electronics/fastest-ever-logic-gates-computers-million-times-faster-petahertz/

Read my following news:

And with the following new discovery computers and phones could run thousands of times faster..

Prof Alan Dalton in the School of Mathematical and Physics Sciences at the University of Sussex, said:

"We're mechanically creating kinks in a layer of graphene. It's a bit like nano-origami.

"Using these nanomaterials will make our computer chips smaller and faster. It is absolutely critical that this happens as computer manufacturers are now at the limit of what they can do with traditional semiconducting technology. Ultimately, this will make our computers and phones thousands of times faster in the future.

"This kind of technology -- "straintronics" using nanomaterials as opposed to electronics -- allows space for more chips inside any device. Everything we want to do with computers -- to speed them up -- can be done by crinkling graphene like this."

Dr Manoj Tripathi, Research Fellow in Nano-structured Materials at the University of Sussex and lead author on the paper, said:

"Instead of having to add foreign materials into a device, we've shown we can create structures from graphene and other 2D materials simply by adding deliberate kinks into the structure. By making this sort of corrugation we can create a smart electronic component, like a transistor, or a logic gate.."

The development is a greener, more sustainable technology. Because no additional materials need to be added, and because this process works at room temperature rather than high temperature, it uses less energy to create.

Read more here:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/02/210216100141.htm

But I think that mass production of graphene still hasn't quite begun,
so i think the inventions above of the Fastest-ever logic gates that
uses graphene and of the one with nanomaterials that uses graphene will not be commercialized fully until perhaps around year 2035 or 2040 or so, so read the following so that to understand why:

"Because large-scale mass production of graphene still hasn't quite begun , the market is a bit limited. However, that leaves a lot of room open for investors to get in before it reaches commercialization.

The market was worth $78.7 million in 2019 and, according to Grand View Research, is expected to rise drastically to $1.08 billion by 2027.

North America currently has the bulk of market share, but the Asia-Pacific area is expected to have the quickest growth in adoption of graphene uses in coming years. North America and Europe are also expected to have above-market average growth.

The biggest driver of all this growth is expected to be the push for cleaner, more efficient energy sources and the global reduction of emissions in the air."

Read more here:

https://www.energyandcapital.com/report/the-worlds-next-rare-earth-metal/1600

More of my philosophy about superconductor computer chips and more of my thoughts..

"Scientists from the University of Virginia School of Medicine and collaborators used the building blocks of life to potentially revolutionize electronics.

Edward H. Egelman, Ph.D. and his colleagues say their new DNA-enabled method could have a wide range of research applications in physics and materials science. Crucially, it could lead to the creation of Little's room-temperature superconductor, which could help revolutionize electronics. Their work, combined with other recent breakthroughs in superconductors, could unlock the great potential of quantum computing — which would, in turn, vastly improve countless scientific fields with its hyper-fast calculations."

Read more here:

https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/engineering-breakthrough-dna-quantum-computing

So i think that superconductor computer chips will be possible in the future, and computer chips with superconducting circuits — circuits with zero electrical resistance — would be 50 to 100 times as energy-efficient as today’s chips, an attractive trait given the increasing power consumption of the massive data centers that power the Internet’s most popular sites. And superconducting chips also promise greater processing power: Superconducting circuits have been clocked at a Terahertz.

More of my philosophy about energy efficiency of quantum computers and
about IBM's Compute-in-memory and more of my thoughts..

I think i am smart, and i will say that IBM have invented the following
Compute-in-memory specialized hardware that works in both analogue and digital so that to lower much more energy consumption, read about it here:

IBM: Compute-in-memory beats GPUs by 10x, sometimes

https://www.electronicsweekly.com/news/research-news/ibm-compute-memory-beats-gpus-10x-sometimes-2021-11/

But i think that the much better solution than the above Compute-in-memory specialized hardware of IBM is to use the powerful quantum computers, and i invite you so that to read the following article about it:

Quantum computers vastly outperform supercomputers when it comes to energy efficiency

https://physicsworld.com/a/quantum-computers-vastly-outperform-supercomputers-when-it-comes-to-energy-efficiency/

Also i have just looked at the following article about the
benchmark of Intel Xeon Scalable Processor vs. Nvidia V100 GPU,
here it is:

https://www.xcelerit.com/computing-benchmarks/insights/benchmarks-intel-xeon-scalable-processor-vs-nvidia-v100-gpu/

So i think that the main problem of Intel Xeons in the above benchmark is the memory bandwidth, so i think that the number of GFLOPs of Intel Xeons in the above benchmark is a result of multiplying the frequency of the CPU by the number of cores and by 2x8FMA, i mean fused multiply–add (FMA) instructions for floating-point scalar and SIMD operations, and it is giving a result of 2,240 GFLOPs, so then if you want to have a powerful computer that also have a good memory bandwidth, i advice you to use a new two socket for new Intel Xeon processors that support a memory bandwidth of like 5.2 GT/s for DDR5 x 8 bytes per channel x 12 channels for one socket, and that equals 499.2 GB per second or 998.4 GB per second for two sockets, and this will equal the memory bandwidth of the Nvidia V100 PCIe (Volta) in the above benchmark , and this will solve the memory bandwidth problem, and of course the two socket motherboard for a two new 64 cores Intel Xeon 3.4 Ghz will give you around 6963 GFLOPs as the Nvidia V100 PCIe (Volta).

Click here to read the complete article