The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. -- John Muir

devel / comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 / Re: How do I enable popups from Task Scheduler

SubjectAuthor
* How do I enable popups from Task SchedulerT
`* How do I enable popups from Task SchedulerT
 +- How do I enable popups from Task SchedulerT
 +* How do I enable popups from Task SchedulerT
 |`- How do I enable popups from Task SchedulerT
 `* How do I enable popups from Task SchedulerJJ
  `- How do I enable popups from Task SchedulerT

1
How do I enable popups from Task Scheduler

<tknnoe$14vpb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1132&group=comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32#1132

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
Subject: How do I enable popups from Task Scheduler
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 01:07:26 -0800
 by: T - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 09:07 UTC

Hi All,

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

I wrote a program that will pop up various pieces of information
(MessageBoxW from user32).

When run from a command shell or an icon on the desk
top, the pop ups run fine.

But no pop ups when run from the Task Scheduler.

How do I configure the Task Scheduler for the pop ups?

Many thanks,
-T

Re: How do I enable popups from Task Scheduler

<tknv97$15du2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1133&group=comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32#1133

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
Subject: Re: How do I enable popups from Task Scheduler
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 03:15:51 -0800
 by: T - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 11:15 UTC

On 11/12/22 01:07, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Windows 11 Pro 22H2
>
> I wrote a program that will pop up various pieces of information
> (MessageBoxW from user32).
>
> When run from a command shell or an icon on the desk
> top, the pop ups run fine.
>
> But no pop ups when run from the Task Scheduler.
>
> How do I configure the Task Scheduler for the pop ups?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

I got told this on another group:

In order to display a user interface tasks
must be configured to run only when the user
is logged on. Otherwise they will run in
non-interactive session 0 and any user
interface they attempt to display will not
be visible.

My program must be run as administrator. The user
is not logged in a administrator

What now?

Re: How do I enable popups from Task Scheduler

<tko4iq$15sfk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1134&group=comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32#1134

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 04:46:18 -0800
 by: T - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 12:46 UTC

On 11/12/22 03:15, T wrote:
> On 11/12/22 01:07, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Windows 11 Pro 22H2
>>
>> I wrote a program that will pop up various pieces of information
>> (MessageBoxW from user32).
>>
>> When run from a command shell or an icon on the desk
>> top, the pop ups run fine.
>>
>> But no pop ups when run from the Task Scheduler.
>>
>> How do I configure the Task Scheduler for the pop ups?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>

> I got told this on another group:
>
>     In order to display a user interface tasks
>     must be configured to run only when the user
>     is logged on. Otherwise they will run in
>     non-interactive session 0 and any user
>     interface they attempt to display will not
>     be visible.
>
> My program must be run as administrator.  The user
> is not logged in a administrator
>
> What now?

I figured out what I am going to do.
My program write a two line log file with the
date and time and the status every time it runs.
Since the user has to be logged in to see the
alerts, I will write a second program (ran as
the user when logged in) that picks up that
log file and sends pops up accordingly. And
run it five minutes after the first program.

Re: How do I enable popups from Task Scheduler

<tko4lf$15sfk$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1135&group=comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32#1135

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 04:47:43 -0800
 by: T - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 12:47 UTC

On 11/12/22 03:15, T wrote:
> On 11/12/22 01:07, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Windows 11 Pro 22H2
>>
>> I wrote a program that will pop up various pieces of information
>> (MessageBoxW from user32).
>>
>> When run from a command shell or an icon on the desk
>> top, the pop ups run fine.
>>
>> But no pop ups when run from the Task Scheduler.
>>
>> How do I configure the Task Scheduler for the pop ups?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>

> I got told this on another group:
>
>     In order to display a user interface tasks
>     must be configured to run only when the user
>     is logged on. Otherwise they will run in
>     non-interactive session 0 and any user
>     interface they attempt to display will not
>     be visible.
>
> My program must be run as administrator.  The user
> is not logged in a administrator
>
> What now?

I figured out what I am going to do.
My program write a two line log file with the
date and time and the status every time it runs.
Since the user has to be logged in to see the
alerts, I will write a second program (ran as
the user when logged in) that picks up that
log file and sends pops up accordingly. And
run it five minutes after the first program.

Re: How do I enable popups from Task Scheduler

<76kfecm35b6n.1mbdu5goo9ly8.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1136&group=comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32#1136

From: jj4public@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 20:40:47 +0700
 by: JJ - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 13:40 UTC

On Sat, 12 Nov 2022 03:15:51 -0800, T wrote:
> On 11/12/22 01:07, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Windows 11 Pro 22H2
>>
>> I wrote a program that will pop up various pieces of information
>> (MessageBoxW from user32).
>>
>> When run from a command shell or an icon on the desk
>> top, the pop ups run fine.
>>
>> But no pop ups when run from the Task Scheduler.
>>
>> How do I configure the Task Scheduler for the pop ups?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>
> I got told this on another group:
>
> In order to display a user interface tasks
> must be configured to run only when the user
> is logged on. Otherwise they will run in
> non-interactive session 0 and any user
> interface they attempt to display will not
> be visible.
>
> My program must be run as administrator. The user
> is not logged in a administrator
>
> What now?

If the user is an Administrator type instead of Standard User type, simply
tick the "Run with highest provileges" checkbox. That's all.

However, if the user is a Standard User type, Microsoft psexec's `-i 1`
command line switch is supposedly for solving this problem, but apparently
is not working properly. In Windows 7, even though the program has been
shown on the taskbar and its window is responsive to mouse/keyboard inputs,
its window content fails to be drawn - leaving ghost images from other
application windows which were overlapping its window boundary. In Windows
10, the program's window is not even visible on the taskbar. I think psexec
need some bug fixing.

Re: How do I enable popups from Task Scheduler

<tko85l$166f3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1137&group=comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32#1137

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 05:47:33 -0800
 by: T - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 13:47 UTC

On 11/12/22 04:47, T wrote:
> On 11/12/22 03:15, T wrote:
>> On 11/12/22 01:07, T wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Windows 11 Pro 22H2
>>>
>>> I wrote a program that will pop up various pieces of information
>>> (MessageBoxW from user32).
>>>
>>> When run from a command shell or an icon on the desk
>>> top, the pop ups run fine.
>>>
>>> But no pop ups when run from the Task Scheduler.
>>>
>>> How do I configure the Task Scheduler for the pop ups?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T
>>

>> I got told this on another group:
>>
>>      In order to display a user interface tasks
>>      must be configured to run only when the user
>>      is logged on. Otherwise they will run in
>>      non-interactive session 0 and any user
>>      interface they attempt to display will not
>>      be visible.
>>
>> My program must be run as administrator.  The user
>> is not logged in a administrator
>>
>> What now?
>

> I figured out what I am going to do.
>
> My program write a two line log file with the
> date and time and the status every time it runs.
>
> Since the user has to be logged in to see the
> alerts, I will write a second program (ran as
> the user when logged in) that picks up that
> log file and sends pops up accordingly.  And
> run it five minutes after the first program.

It looks like WTSSendMessageA will work.
Now to code it for Raku

Re: How do I enable popups from Task Scheduler

<tko873$166f3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1138&group=comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32#1138

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 05:48:19 -0800
 by: T - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 13:48 UTC

On 11/12/22 05:40, JJ wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2022 03:15:51 -0800, T wrote:
>> On 11/12/22 01:07, T wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Windows 11 Pro 22H2
>>>
>>> I wrote a program that will pop up various pieces of information
>>> (MessageBoxW from user32).
>>>
>>> When run from a command shell or an icon on the desk
>>> top, the pop ups run fine.
>>>
>>> But no pop ups when run from the Task Scheduler.
>>>
>>> How do I configure the Task Scheduler for the pop ups?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T
>>
>> I got told this on another group:
>>
>> In order to display a user interface tasks
>> must be configured to run only when the user
>> is logged on. Otherwise they will run in
>> non-interactive session 0 and any user
>> interface they attempt to display will not
>> be visible.
>>
>> My program must be run as administrator. The user
>> is not logged in a administrator
>>
>> What now?
>
> If the user is an Administrator type instead of Standard User type, simply
> tick the "Run with highest provileges" checkbox. That's all.

Did not work for me