Newsgroups: comp.programming.threads
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 14:41:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: More of my philosophy about the US Chip sanctions on China and more
of my thoughts..
From: aminer68@gmail.com (Amine Moulay Ramdane)
 by: Amine Moulay Ramdane - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 21:41 UTC

Hello,

More of my philosophy about the US Chip sanctions on China and more of my thoughts..

US Chip Sanctions ‘Kneecap’ China’s Tech Industry

Read more here:

https://www.wired.com/story/us-chip-sanctions-kneecap-chinas-tech-industry/#intcid=_wired-verso-hp-trending_d95e31ff-ef3f-46a0-8ceb-3805f8f2646a_popular4-1

More of my philosophy about innovation in China and more of my thoughts..

"However, despite successes in fintech and smart cities, China continues to struggle to innovate in key areas, particularly advanced computer chips and the expensive machines that make them. Despite the huge amount of capital (estimated to be upwards of $150 billion USD from 2014 through 2030) and resources that Beijing has poured into bolstering China’s domestic semiconductor manufacturing capacity, many of the country’s leading firms are struggling to realize the government’s goals. After being added to the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Entity List in 2020, China’s most advanced chip foundry, Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (SMIC), has struggled to meet its goals. Despite promising to produce thin and modern 7-nanometer chips, SMIC lacks the machine tools to make them. U.S. export controls on chip design software and foundry machine tools have also crippled Huawei’s HiSilicon, effectively curbing its only potential rival to U.S. advanced chips.

To be sure, Beijing’s reliance on imported technologies goes well beyond foreign-designed semiconductors. According to a 2018 article from the Ministry of Education, China relies on imports for 35 key technologies that it is unable to produce domestically in sufficient quality or quantity. These technologies include heavy-duty gas turbines, high-pressure piston pumps, steel for high-end bearings, photolithography machines, core industrial software, and more. With U.S.-China bilateral technology investment seeing a steep 96 percent decline since 2016, Beijing has been forced to look for new ways to source key technologies, turning to shell companies and intermediary agents to source foreign components, reagents, and other relevant equipment.

In short, China has demonstrated its capacity to indigenously innovate, but this capacity has not yet proliferated across all key sectors. What initially began as a strategy to import and copy the technology and innovations of other nations has changed to reflect China’s growing ability to take foreign ideas and concepts and mold them with respect to China’s domestic requirements."

Read more here:

https://www.brookings.edu/techstream/beijings-re-innovation-strategy-is-key-element-of-u-s-china-competition/

And i invite you to read my thoughts about technology here:

https://groups.google.com/g/soc.culture.usa/c/N_UxX3OECX4

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.