No extensible language will be universal. -- T. Cheatham

devel / comp.lang.tcl / Capturing a widget to photo

SubjectAuthor
* Capturing a widget to photoLuc
+* Re: Capturing a widget to photoRich
|`- Re: Capturing a widget to photoPaul Obermeier
`- Re: Capturing a widget to photoRobert Heller

1
Capturing a widget to photo

<20240304155939.1ca63dcb@lud1.home>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=13448&group=comp.lang.tcl#13448

From: luc@sep.invalid (Luc)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Subject: Capturing a widget to photo
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 15:59:39 -0300
 by: Luc - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:59 UTC

I am reading this:

https://wiki.tcl-lang.org/page/Capture+a+window+into+an+image

And I found this:

set baseImg [image create photo -format window -data $win]

Where did -format window come from?

I'm reading the manual pages of image and photo and can't find any
mention of that possibility anywhere. How did this person guess that
'window' was a valid option?

Neither can I find any clue to why the path to a widget is a valid
option for -data.

It works, but it only captures the visible part of the text widget.
I want to capture all of it. Is it possible?

--
Luc

Re: Capturing a widget to photo

<us56mn$3a4fu$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=13450&group=comp.lang.tcl#13450

From: rich@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Subject: Re: Capturing a widget to photo
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 19:16:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 19:16 UTC

Luc <luc@sep.invalid> wrote:
> I am reading this:
>
> https://wiki.tcl-lang.org/page/Capture+a+window+into+an+image
>
> And I found this:
>
> set baseImg [image create photo -format window -data $win]
>
> Where did -format window come from?
>
> I'm reading the manual pages of image and photo and can't find any
> mention of that possibility anywhere. How did this person guess that
> 'window' was a valid option?

It is an extension added on by the Img extension, which is mentioned at
the top of the page you cite:

David Easton 17 Mar 2003 This uses the *Img* package to capture a
screenshot of a widget hierarchy or toplevel window into a photo image.

And therefore the documentation for it is part of Img.

> Neither can I find any clue to why the path to a widget is a valid
> option for -data.

An extension provided by the Img package.

> It works, but it only captures the visible part of the text widget.
> I want to capture all of it. Is it possible?

IIRC the Img package capture widget to image file aspect only works for
the visible on-screen parts of widgets.

Re: Capturing a widget to photo

<_tydnQOWP6fXqHv4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=13456&group=comp.lang.tcl#13456

From: heller@deepsoft.com (Robert Heller)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 20:55:38 +0000
 by: Robert Heller - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 20:55 UTC

At Mon, 4 Mar 2024 15:59:39 -0300 Luc <luc@sep.invalid> wrote:

> I am reading this:
>
> https://wiki.tcl-lang.org/page/Capture+a+window+into+an+image
>
> And I found this:
>
> set baseImg [image create photo -format window -data $win]
>
> Where did -format window come from?
>
> I'm reading the manual pages of image and photo and can't find any
> mention of that possibility anywhere. How did this person guess that
> 'window' was a valid option?
>
> Neither can I find any clue to why the path to a widget is a valid
> option for -data.
>
> It works, but it only captures the visible part of the text widget.
> I want to capture all of it. Is it possible?

It is part of the Img package.

--
Robert Heller -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services

Re: Capturing a widget to photo

<us5d02$3bd1n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=13457&group=comp.lang.tcl#13457

From: obermeier@poSoft.de (Paul Obermeier)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 22:03:36 +0100
 by: Paul Obermeier - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 21:03 UTC

Am 04.03.2024 um 20:16 schrieb Rich:
> Luc <luc@sep.invalid> wrote:
>> I am reading this:
>>
>> https://wiki.tcl-lang.org/page/Capture+a+window+into+an+image
>>
>> And I found this:
>>
>> set baseImg [image create photo -format window -data $win]
>>
>> Where did -format window come from?
>>
>> I'm reading the manual pages of image and photo and can't find any
>> mention of that possibility anywhere. How did this person guess that
>> 'window' was a valid option?
>
> It is an extension added on by the Img extension, which is mentioned at
> the top of the page you cite:
>
> David Easton 17 Mar 2003 This uses the *Img* package to capture a
> screenshot of a widget hierarchy or toplevel window into a photo image.
>
> And therefore the documentation for it is part of Img.
>
>> Neither can I find any clue to why the path to a widget is a valid
>> option for -data.
>
> An extension provided by the Img package.
>
>> It works, but it only captures the visible part of the text widget.
>> I want to capture all of it. Is it possible?
>
> IIRC the Img package capture widget to image file aspect only works for
> the visible on-screen parts of widgets.

See proc canvas2Photo by George Petasis at Wiki page https://wiki.tcl-lang.org/page/Img

Paul