Refreshed by a brief blackout, I got to my feet and went next door. -- Martin Amis, _Money_

devel / comp.lang.tcl / Don't understand the tcllib/httpd docs...

SubjectAuthor
* Don't understand the tcllib/httpd docs...Robert Heller
+* Re: Don't understand the tcllib/httpd docs...ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|`* Re: Don't understand the tcllib/httpd docs...Robert Heller
| `- Re: Don't understand the tcllib/httpd docs...ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
`- Re: Don't understand the tcllib/httpd docs...Rich

1
Don't understand the tcllib/httpd docs...

<hgWdnfghgO6MsHT4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=13499&group=comp.lang.tcl#13499

From: heller@deepsoft.com (Robert Heller)
Subject: Don't understand the tcllib/httpd docs...
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 02:57:21 +0000
 by: Robert Heller - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 02:57 UTC

I am trying to create a *very simple* http server using the TclOO and
coroutine based web server that is part of the tcllib package. How do I get
the POST data? The example code and the man pages are not helpful.

This is the package with this copyright notice at the bottom of the man page:

Copyright (c) 2018 Sean Woods <yoda@etoyoc.com>

Is Sean Woods listening on comp.lang.tcl? I need some help. I am trying to
replace the *broken* python code here (it is python2, which is not supported
on my Rasberian 12 (bookworm) system):

https://github.com/BlocklyDuino/BlocklyDuino/blob/master/arduino_web_server.py

--
Robert Heller -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services

Re: Don't understand the tcllib/httpd docs...

<l4st06F2u1lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=13501&group=comp.lang.tcl#13501

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Subject: Re: Don't understand the tcllib/httpd docs...
Date: 7 Mar 2024 04:09:42 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 04:09 UTC

In article <hgWdnfghgO6MsHT4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:
>I am trying to create a *very simple* http server using the TclOO and
>coroutine based web server that is part of the tcllib package. How do I get
>the POST data? The example code and the man pages are not helpful.
>
>This is the package with this copyright notice at the bottom of the man page:
>
> Copyright (c) 2018 Sean Woods <yoda@etoyoc.com>
>

>Is Sean Woods listening on comp.lang.tcl? I need some help. I am trying to
>replace the *broken* python code here (it is python2, which is not supported
>on my Rasberian 12 (bookworm) system):
>
>https://github.com/BlocklyDuino/BlocklyDuino/blob/master/arduino_web_server.py

I remember looking at that as well, and abandoning it because I really
understand neither TclOO nor coroutines, and looking at the page wasn't
helping. For one project, I found an embedded http server on wiki.tcl.tk,
but as I recall it doesn't do POST.

However, the Welch tclhttpd is still available:

https://wiki.tcl-lang.org/page/TclHttpd

although I'm guessing that's too heavyweight for your use case.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Don't understand the tcllib/httpd docs...

<89CcnVi4AaTmzXT4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=13502&group=comp.lang.tcl#13502

From: heller@deepsoft.com (Robert Heller)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 05:28:27 +0000
 by: Robert Heller - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 05:28 UTC

At 7 Mar 2024 04:09:42 GMT ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:

> In article <hgWdnfghgO6MsHT4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
> Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:
> >I am trying to create a *very simple* http server using the TclOO and
> >coroutine based web server that is part of the tcllib package. How do I get
> >the POST data? The example code and the man pages are not helpful.
> >
> >This is the package with this copyright notice at the bottom of the man page:
> >
> > Copyright (c) 2018 Sean Woods <yoda@etoyoc.com>
> >

> >Is Sean Woods listening on comp.lang.tcl? I need some help. I am trying to
> >replace the *broken* python code here (it is python2, which is not supported
> >on my Rasberian 12 (bookworm) system):
> >
> >https://github.com/BlocklyDuino/BlocklyDuino/blob/master/arduino_web_server.py
> >

> I remember looking at that as well, and abandoning it because I really
> understand neither TclOO nor coroutines, and looking at the page wasn't
> helping. For one project, I found an embedded http server on wiki.tcl.tk,
> but as I recall it doesn't do POST.
>
> However, the Welch tclhttpd is still available:
>
> https://wiki.tcl-lang.org/page/TclHttpd
>
> although I'm guessing that's too heavyweight for your use case.

I did eventually figure it out.

--
Robert Heller -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services
heller@deepsoft.com -- Webhosting Services

Re: Don't understand the tcllib/httpd docs...

<usbjlg$t225$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=13503&group=comp.lang.tcl#13503

From: rich@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 05:34:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 05:34 UTC

Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:
> I am trying to create a *very simple* http server using the TclOO and
> coroutine based web server that is part of the tcllib package. How
> do I get the POST data? The example code and the man pages are not
> helpful.

The man page example does not work (or at least the one in my version
of tcllib is broken and does not work).

And the docs are scatterd, broken, and disconnected.

After much "digging", I discovered somewhere (I forget where now) that
there was a "my FormData" available. So try, from within the method
that is attached to the url where you submit the post data, and see if
you have a [my FormData] available. If you do, you get a dict back
from my FormData with your form keys and values.

Bits and pieces of this presentation were helpful (and, IIRC, parts of
it no longer work/apply given changes since the presentation) in
getting a most basic setup barely working:

https://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2018/assets/talk148/Paper.pdf

Re: Don't understand the tcllib/httpd docs...

<l4t301F3qsvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=13504&group=comp.lang.tcl#13504

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: 7 Mar 2024 05:52:01 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 05:52 UTC

In article <89CcnVi4AaTmzXT4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:
>At 7 Mar 2024 04:09:42 GMT ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:
>

>> In article <hgWdnfghgO6MsHT4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
>> Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:
>> >I am trying to create a *very simple* http server using the TclOO and
>> >coroutine based web server that is part of the tcllib package. How do I get
>> >the POST data? The example code and the man pages are not helpful.
>> >
>> >This is the package with this copyright notice at the bottom of the man page:
>> >
>> > Copyright (c) 2018 Sean Woods <yoda@etoyoc.com>
>> >

>> >Is Sean Woods listening on comp.lang.tcl? I need some help. I am
>trying to
>> >replace the *broken* python code here (it is python2, which is not supported
>> >on my Rasberian 12 (bookworm) system):
>> >

>>https://github.com/BlocklyDuino/BlocklyDuino/blob/master/arduino_web_server.py
>> >

>> I remember looking at that as well, and abandoning it because I really
>> understand neither TclOO nor coroutines, and looking at the page wasn't
>> helping. For one project, I found an embedded http server on wiki.tcl.tk,
>> but as I recall it doesn't do POST.
>>
>> However, the Welch tclhttpd is still available:
>>
>> https://wiki.tcl-lang.org/page/TclHttpd
>>
>> although I'm guessing that's too heavyweight for your use case.
>
>I did eventually figure it out.

Great!