"How to make a million dollars: First, get a million dollars." -- Steve Martin

devel / comp.lang.forth / Re: Help me to save progress or source management in SwiftForth

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Help me to save progress or source management in SwiftForthDavid Gipson
`* Re: Help me to save progress or source management in SwiftForthfabianor...@gmail.com
 `* Re: Help me to save progress or source management in SwiftForthgobli...@gmail.com
  `* Re: Help me to save progress or source management in SwiftForthnone
   `* Re: Help me to save progress or source management in SwiftForthDavid Gipson
    `- Re: Help me to save progress or source management in SwiftForthDavid Gipson

1
Re: Help me to save progress or source management in SwiftForth

<94eb3dcc-2639-46ac-916f-6bdcd97aa212n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=24098&group=comp.lang.forth#24098

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 08:34:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Help me to save progress or source management in SwiftForth
From: dgipson909@gmail.com (David Gipson)
 by: David Gipson - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 15:34 UTC

On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 12:25:50 PM UTC-4, Yaroslav Veremenko wrote:
> Every time I try forth, I start some interpreter, type some words, then it works and I feel like I want to learn more and want to write some code to actually try it out. But every time I hit a wall.
>
> For example yesterday I installed SwiftForth, I read the documentation and it has few pages on source management. The only word that seem to matter to me in this case is INCLUDE. But it doesn't seem to go deep into how to actually use it. This is the process that I can imagine working, but it is crude, and prone to numerous mistakes:
> 1. Open interpreter, write some code, test it until it works
> 2. Hope that SwiftForth doesn't crash and you don't loose all your progress
> 3. Scroll up through the history or list the words, and hope I copy paste stuff that's important to a separate text editor
> 4. Close SwiftForth, start it again, wait for evaluation warning to expire, manually type INCLUDE my-updated-file
>
> SwiftForth doesn't seem to have a command line arguments help in the documentation PDF, nor there seem to be a way to reset the state of a interpreter. At least I couldn't find any. I had similar issues with other interpreters some time back, but I can't remember anymore what they were.
>
> I'm probably missing something obvious, or there's something I don't get.
I learned this trick watching someone else ( I would give credit if i could remember who) I have planned on expanding the code to make it more universal but haven't got around to it yet here is the ex. i use for gforth in ecr..fs
**************************** ecr.fs **********************************
: empty s" ---marker--- marker ---marker---" evaluate ;
: edit s" vim file.fs" system ;
: run s" file.fs" included ;
: ecr edit run ;

marker ---marker---
basically replace file.fs in the code with the file you are working on....... then gforth ecr.fs ..... while in gforth type ecr <ret>
it will restore the dictionary to initial point run vim file.fs when you exit vim saving or not it will include file.fs and return you to gforth. it keeps you from compiling on top of yourself hence redefining. this should work on most forth's. otherwise setup a ~/.SwiftForth-editor script chmod +x and just call EDIT in swiftforth. i am no swiftforth expert the reason for my vagueness.

Re: Help me to save progress or source management in SwiftForth

<8cead580-bf95-418d-ba3f-ad91d8cd9db7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=24100&group=comp.lang.forth#24100

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 17:33:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: fabianorezende26@gmail.com (fabianor...@gmail.com)
 by: fabianor...@gmail.co - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 00:33 UTC

Em segunda-feira, 24 de julho de 2023 às 12:34:56 UTC-3, David Gipson escreveu:
> On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 12:25:50 PM UTC-4, Yaroslav Veremenko wrote:
> > Every time I try forth, I start some interpreter, type some words, then it works and I feel like I want to learn more and want to write some code to actually try it out. But every time I hit a wall.
> >
> > For example yesterday I installed SwiftForth, I read the documentation and it has few pages on source management. The only word that seem to matter to me in this case is INCLUDE. But it doesn't seem to go deep into how to actually use it. This is the process that I can imagine working, but it is crude, and prone to numerous mistakes:
> > 1. Open interpreter, write some code, test it until it works
> > 2. Hope that SwiftForth doesn't crash and you don't loose all your progress
> > 3. Scroll up through the history or list the words, and hope I copy paste stuff that's important to a separate text editor
> > 4. Close SwiftForth, start it again, wait for evaluation warning to expire, manually type INCLUDE my-updated-file
> >
> > SwiftForth doesn't seem to have a command line arguments help in the documentation PDF, nor there seem to be a way to reset the state of a interpreter. At least I couldn't find any. I had similar issues with other interpreters some time back, but I can't remember anymore what they were.
> >
> > I'm probably missing something obvious, or there's something I don't get.
> I learned this trick watching someone else ( I would give credit if i could remember who) I have planned on expanding the code to make it more universal but haven't got around to it yet here is the ex. i use for gforth in ecr.fs
> **************************** ecr.fs **********************************
> : empty s" ---marker--- marker ---marker---" evaluate ;
> : edit s" vim file.fs" system ;
> : run s" file.fs" included ;
> : ecr edit run ;
>
> marker ---marker---
> basically replace file.fs in the code with the file you are working on....... then gforth ecr.fs ..... while in gforth type ecr <ret>
> it will restore the dictionary to initial point run vim file.fs when you exit vim saving or not it will include file.fs and return you to gforth. it keeps you from compiling on top of yourself hence redefining. this should work on most forth's. otherwise setup a ~/.SwiftForth-editor script chmod +x and just call EDIT in swiftforth. i am no swiftforth expert the reason for my vagueness.
https://youtu.be/mvrE2ZGe-rs?t=1305

Re: Help me to save progress or source management in SwiftForth

<eefa62f9-eab0-4c2b-af76-c062056f9937n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=24103&group=comp.lang.forth#24103

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 01:26:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: goblinrieur@gmail.com (gobli...@gmail.com)
 by: gobli...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:26 UTC

Le mardi 25 juillet 2023 à 02:33:24 UTC+2, fabianor...@gmail.com a écrit :
> Em segunda-feira, 24 de julho de 2023 às 12:34:56 UTC-3, David Gipson escreveu:
> > On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 12:25:50 PM UTC-4, Yaroslav Veremenko wrote:
> > > Every time I try forth, I start some interpreter, type some words, then it works and I feel like I want to learn more and want to write some code to actually try it out. But every time I hit a wall.
> > >
> > > For example yesterday I installed SwiftForth, I read the documentation and it has few pages on source management. The only word that seem to matter to me in this case is INCLUDE. But it doesn't seem to go deep into how to actually use it. This is the process that I can imagine working, but it is crude, and prone to numerous mistakes:
> > > 1. Open interpreter, write some code, test it until it works
> > > 2. Hope that SwiftForth doesn't crash and you don't loose all your progress
> > > 3. Scroll up through the history or list the words, and hope I copy paste stuff that's important to a separate text editor
> > > 4. Close SwiftForth, start it again, wait for evaluation warning to expire, manually type INCLUDE my-updated-file
> > >
> > > SwiftForth doesn't seem to have a command line arguments help in the documentation PDF, nor there seem to be a way to reset the state of a interpreter. At least I couldn't find any. I had similar issues with other interpreters some time back, but I can't remember anymore what they were.
> > >
> > > I'm probably missing something obvious, or there's something I don't get.
> > I learned this trick watching someone else ( I would give credit if i could remember who) I have planned on expanding the code to make it more universal but haven't got around to it yet here is the ex. i use for gforth in ecr.fs
> > **************************** ecr.fs **********************************
> > : empty s" ---marker--- marker ---marker---" evaluate ;
> > : edit s" vim file.fs" system ;
> > : run s" file.fs" included ;
> > : ecr edit run ;
> >
> > marker ---marker---
> > basically replace file.fs in the code with the file you are working on....... then gforth ecr.fs ..... while in gforth type ecr <ret>
> > it will restore the dictionary to initial point run vim file.fs when you exit vim saving or not it will include file.fs and return you to gforth. it keeps you from compiling on top of yourself hence redefining. this should work on most forth's. otherwise setup a ~/.SwiftForth-editor script chmod +x and just call EDIT in swiftforth. i am no swiftforth expert the reason for my vagueness.
> https://youtu.be/mvrE2ZGe-rs?t=1305

From Veltas repo of Christopher Leonard I use this scriptin function to add words to external file

\ github.com/Veltas/demo/blob/main/script.4th
\ Copyright 2023 Christopher Leonard - MIT Licence

: CREATE-FILE! CREATE-FILE ABORT" failed to open file" ;

: FILE-SIZE! FILE-SIZE ABORT" failed to get file size" ;

: SET-POSITION! REPOSITION-FILE ABORT" failed to reposition file" ;

: WRITE-LINE! WRITE-LINE ABORT" failed to write line to file" ;

: CLOSE-FILE! CLOSE-FILE ABORT" failed to write file" ;

: FAST-FORWARD! ( file) DUP FILE-SIZE! ROT SET-POSITION! ;

: OPEN-OR-CREATE! ( a u - file)
2DUP W/O OPEN-FILE IF
DROP W/O CREATE-FILE!
ELSE
NIP NIP
THEN ;

: APPEND-FILE! ( a u - file) OPEN-OR-CREATE! DUP FAST-FORWARD! ;

: REST-OF-LINE SOURCE >IN @ /STRING ;

: SCRIPT
PARSE-NAME APPEND-FILE!
DUP REST-OF-LINE ROT WRITE-LINE!
CLOSE-FILE! ; IMMEDIATE

0 VALUE SCRIPT-FILE

: SCRIPT((
PARSE-NAME APPEND-FILE! TO SCRIPT-FILE
BEGIN CR REFILL WHILE SOURCE S" ))" COMPARE WHILE

\ usecase
\ script a.fs 1 2 3 + + .
\ will create file named "a" containing "1 2 3 + + ." code
\ script a.fs : toto 10 0 do ." ." loop ;

this is a good way to test words in interpretor & copy the final versions to a file , like here a.fs.
this is a good helper to me :)

too

Re: Help me to save progress or source management in SwiftForth

<nnd$20cb4dc4$57d71c99@78e6c958409ba78e>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=24105&group=comp.lang.forth#24105

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
From: albert@cherry (none)
Originator: albert@cherry.(none) (albert)
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:48:19 +0200
 by: none - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:48 UTC

In article <eefa62f9-eab0-4c2b-af76-c062056f9937n@googlegroups.com>,
gobli...@gmail.com <goblinrieur@gmail.com> wrote:
>From Veltas repo of Christopher Leonard I use this scriptin function to
>add words to external file
>
>\ github.com/Veltas/demo/blob/main/script.4th
>\ Copyright 2023 Christopher Leonard - MIT Licence
>
>: CREATE-FILE! CREATE-FILE ABORT" failed to open file" ;

Normally these kind of stuff doesn't go wrong.
Routinely I do
CREATE-FILE THROW
Only in the debugging face it fails. Other wise you are advised
to generate more specific messages if

'complicate-stuff-that-creates-init-file CATCH DUP 31 =
ABORT" You probably tried to create an init file where you have not \
write access on the directory"

This also show why I prefer numeric identification for error situation
and I abhor the reuse of same error numbers for vastly different errors.

It is a myth that a one line abort" message does cut it.

This is the documentation of error 121 for my bsl package.

"
121 : line is not stable before character
A character is expected, so we wait for a start bit.
If the line is already in a start bit / break state, that
means that it is stuck in that state, or that we were too slow
and the sbc has already started sending.

If you get this error consistently then we are stuck in that
state.
This is indicative of
1) A wrong cable connection.
Use the -t option to diagnose your cable. Check the connections.
2) your parallel port doesn't use the standard address.
Use ` -a #### ' to specify the proper address.
(Mostly you get 134 with that problem.)

If the fault is intermittent, at least the msp430 can control
the line, but it does so erratically.
3) Your pc is too slow. Terminate time consuming processes, like
a gui.
4) A defective MSP430 or faulty bsl in MSP430. This has been
seen in combination with a wrong patch of the bsl.
"

If bsl fails you see "error 121", but you know where to look.

Groetjes Albert
--
Don't praise the day before the evening. One swallow doesn't make spring.
You must not say "hey" before you have crossed the bridge. Don't sell the

Re: Help me to save progress or source management in SwiftForth

<22cc56a6-b277-46d3-9141-12977f964861n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=24109&group=comp.lang.forth#24109

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 07:39:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: dgipson909@gmail.com (David Gipson)
 by: David Gipson - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 14:39 UTC

On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 4:48:28 AM UTC-4, none albert wrote:
> In article <eefa62f9-eab0-4c2b...@googlegroups.com>,
> gobli...@gmail.com <gobli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >From Veltas repo of Christopher Leonard I use this scriptin function to
> >add words to external file
> >
> >\ github.com/Veltas/demo/blob/main/script.4th
> >\ Copyright 2023 Christopher Leonard - MIT Licence
> >
> >: CREATE-FILE! CREATE-FILE ABORT" failed to open file" ;
> Normally these kind of stuff doesn't go wrong.
> Routinely I do
> CREATE-FILE THROW
> Only in the debugging face it fails. Other wise you are advised
> to generate more specific messages if
>
> 'complicate-stuff-that-creates-init-file CATCH DUP 31 =
> ABORT" You probably tried to create an init file where you have not \
> write access on the directory"
>
> This also show why I prefer numeric identification for error situation
> and I abhor the reuse of same error numbers for vastly different errors.
>
> It is a myth that a one line abort" message does cut it.
>
> This is the documentation of error 121 for my bsl package.
>
> "
> 121 : line is not stable before character
> A character is expected, so we wait for a start bit.
> If the line is already in a start bit / break state, that
> means that it is stuck in that state, or that we were too slow
> and the sbc has already started sending.
>
> If you get this error consistently then we are stuck in that
> state.
> This is indicative of
> 1) A wrong cable connection.
> Use the -t option to diagnose your cable. Check the connections.
> 2) your parallel port doesn't use the standard address.
> Use ` -a #### ' to specify the proper address.
> (Mostly you get 134 with that problem.)
>
> If the fault is intermittent, at least the msp430 can control
> the line, but it does so erratically.
> 3) Your pc is too slow. Terminate time consuming processes, like
> a gui.
> 4) A defective MSP430 or faulty bsl in MSP430. This has been
> seen in combination with a wrong patch of the bsl.
> "
>
> If bsl fails you see "error 121", but you know where to look.
> Groetjes Albert
> --
> Don't praise the day before the evening. One swallow doesn't make spring.
> You must not say "hey" before you have crossed the bridge. Don't sell the
> hide of the bear until you shot it. Better one bird in the hand than ten in
> the air. First gain is a cat spinning. - the Wise from Antrim -
Thank you for helping give credit where credit is due. i loved that video and wished to find a whole series by this person ..... amazing skill both programming and teaching.

Re: Help me to save progress or source management in SwiftForth

<22fd14d6-baaa-48a1-a2e6-dc0d144a31a2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=24110&group=comp.lang.forth#24110

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 07:44:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: dgipson909@gmail.com (David Gipson)
 by: David Gipson - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 14:44 UTC

On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 10:39:22 AM UTC-4, David Gipson wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 4:48:28 AM UTC-4, none albert wrote:
> > In article <eefa62f9-eab0-4c2b...@googlegroups.com>,
> > gobli...@gmail.com <gobli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >From Veltas repo of Christopher Leonard I use this scriptin function to
> > >add words to external file
> > >
> > >\ github.com/Veltas/demo/blob/main/script.4th
> > >\ Copyright 2023 Christopher Leonard - MIT Licence
> > >
> > >: CREATE-FILE! CREATE-FILE ABORT" failed to open file" ;
> > Normally these kind of stuff doesn't go wrong.
> > Routinely I do
> > CREATE-FILE THROW
> > Only in the debugging face it fails. Other wise you are advised
> > to generate more specific messages if
> >
> > 'complicate-stuff-that-creates-init-file CATCH DUP 31 =
> > ABORT" You probably tried to create an init file where you have not \
> > write access on the directory"
> >
> > This also show why I prefer numeric identification for error situation
> > and I abhor the reuse of same error numbers for vastly different errors..
> >
> > It is a myth that a one line abort" message does cut it.
> >
> > This is the documentation of error 121 for my bsl package.
> >
> > "
> > 121 : line is not stable before character
> > A character is expected, so we wait for a start bit.
> > If the line is already in a start bit / break state, that
> > means that it is stuck in that state, or that we were too slow
> > and the sbc has already started sending.
> >
> > If you get this error consistently then we are stuck in that
> > state.
> > This is indicative of
> > 1) A wrong cable connection.
> > Use the -t option to diagnose your cable. Check the connections.
> > 2) your parallel port doesn't use the standard address.
> > Use ` -a #### ' to specify the proper address.
> > (Mostly you get 134 with that problem.)
> >
> > If the fault is intermittent, at least the msp430 can control
> > the line, but it does so erratically.
> > 3) Your pc is too slow. Terminate time consuming processes, like
> > a gui.
> > 4) A defective MSP430 or faulty bsl in MSP430. This has been
> > seen in combination with a wrong patch of the bsl.
> > "
> >
> > If bsl fails you see "error 121", but you know where to look.
> > Groetjes Albert
> > --
> > Don't praise the day before the evening. One swallow doesn't make spring.
> > You must not say "hey" before you have crossed the bridge. Don't sell the
> > hide of the bear until you shot it. Better one bird in the hand than ten in
> > the air. First gain is a cat spinning. - the Wise from Antrim -
> Thank you for helping give credit where credit is due. i loved that video and wished to find a whole series by this person ..... amazing skill both programming and teaching.
As to the original question about saving progress in swift forth i looked in the pdf documents and there is an excellent section talking about the words forget remember marker and the word G along with an example ~/.SwiftForth-editor script to run vim after using locate or when using G.