I bet the human brain is a kludge. -- Marvin Minsky

devel / comp.lang.forth / Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAME

SubjectAuthor
* Proposal on LATEST-NAMERuvim
+* Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMEnone
|`* Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMERuvim
| +* Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMEMarcel Hendrix
| |+- Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMERuvim
| |`- Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMEAnton Ertl
| `* Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMEnone
|  `* Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMERuvim
|   `* Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMEnone
|    +- Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMES Jack
|    `- Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMERuvim
+* Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMEminforth
|+* Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMERuvim
||+* Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMEminforth
|||`* Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMERuvim
||| `* Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMEminforth
|||  +* Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMEdxf
|||  |`- Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMEminforth
|||  `- package manager (was: Proposal on LATEST-NAME)Ruvim
||`* decorators (was Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAME )none
|| `* Re: decorators (was Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAME )Ruvim
||  `- Re: decorators (was Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAME )none
|`- Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMEnone
`* Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMEdxf
 `* Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMEdxf
  `- Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAMERuvim

Pages:12
Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAME

<uhb59t$pc6l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=25042&group=comp.lang.forth#25042

From: ruvim.pinka@gmail.com (Ruvim)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Subject: Re: Proposal on LATEST-NAME
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 13:30:37 +0000
 by: Ruvim - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 13:30 UTC

On 2023-10-24 19:40, albert wrote:
> In article <uh954j$4q87$1@dont-email.me>, Ruvim <ruvim.pinka@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2023-10-24 08:37, albert wrote:
>>> It bears repeating:
>>>
>>> ***********************************************************
>>> * Names are SO not determining the identity of a word. *
>>> ***********************************************************
>>
>> I agree. A word name does not identify the word.
>> A name token identifies the word, by its definition:
>>
>> A name token is a single-cell value that identifies a named Forth
>> definition.
>
> Almost correct.
>
> A name token is a single-cell value that identifies a Forth
> definition. Note that it may not have a name.

It depends on how we define what nameless Forth definition is (i.e., a
Forth definition without a name).

I could consider:
A nameless Forth definition is a Forth definition for which the
standard does not require the system to provide a name token.

An example:

:noname 123 . ; ( xt )

For this definition, we only have an execution token. It's unable to
obtain a name token. Then we can say that this definition is a nameless
Forth definition.

>>> I can't getting the point accross.
>>> The problem with LATEST that the obvious solution doesn't work.
>>> The naive solution reading iso93 is returning an xt.
>>> So what thingy is LATEST to return?
>>
>> Sorry, I'm not following you here. I don't see how your question about
>> LATEST is related to my proposal.
>
> The answer is not what it is that is returned. The answer is how it
> should be named:
> Possibly answers:
> A name token
> B dea

The term "name token" is already established.
What do you have against this term?

--
Ruvim