When I left you, I was but the pupil. Now, I am the master. -- Darth Vader

devel / comp.lang.forth / Re: COMP LANG FORTH: no pilot on command

SubjectAuthor
* COMP LANG FORTH: no pilot on commandMarc Petremann
+- Re: COMP LANG FORTH: no pilot on commandminforth
`* Re: COMP LANG FORTH: no pilot on commandDavid Schultz
 `* Re: COMP LANG FORTH: no pilot on commandKerr-Mudd, John
  +- Re: COMP LANG FORTH: no pilot on commanddxf
  `- Re: COMP LANG FORTH: no pilot on commandllp

1
COMP LANG FORTH: no pilot on command

<7dd9f1c3-eb39-4634-904b-d0ba850b14can@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=25106&group=comp.lang.forth#25106

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 06:33:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: COMP LANG FORTH: no pilot on command
From: mpetremann93m@gmail.com (Marc Petremann)
 by: Marc Petremann - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 13:33 UTC

Hello,
COMP LANG FORTH has been polluted by massive spam for almost two weeks.
Obviously, there is no longer anyone in charge to delete these more than unwanted messages!
So I took the initiative to open a COMP LANG FORTH group on Facebook.
You may be allergic to FACEBOOK. It's your right.
but at least we can moderate the publications.
Link to this brand new group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/complangforth
See you soon on this new group.

Re: COMP LANG FORTH: no pilot on command

<162e183989d9c3c5aedcef22fbc15a4a@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=25107&group=comp.lang.forth#25107

From: minforth@gmx.net (minforth)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Subject: Re: COMP LANG FORTH: no pilot on command
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 14:28:47 +0000
 by: minforth - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 14:28 UTC

Don't forget to invite Hugh!

Re: COMP LANG FORTH: no pilot on command

<bo2cnQY07rgMiNj4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=25108&group=comp.lang.forth#25108

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 10:45:20 -0500
From: david.schultz@earthlink.net (David Schultz)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
 by: David Schultz - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 15:45 UTC

On 11/3/23 8:33 AM, Marc Petremann wrote:
> Hello,
> COMP LANG FORTH has been polluted by massive spam for almost two weeks.
> Obviously, there is no longer anyone in charge to delete these more than unwanted messages!

That isn't how Usenet works. There was never someone in charge.

In this case it appears to be a single bad actor abusing Google Groups.
Which isn't completely inactive. One other newsgroup that I read was hit
far harder but has now been set as read only over at Google Groups. So
no more posts from there.

That shut off the flood of spam in that group at least.

> So I took the initiative to open a COMP LANG FORTH group on Facebook.
> You may be allergic to FACEBOOK. It's your right.
> but at least we can moderate the publications.

There is, or at least was, such a thing as a moderated newsgroup. They
tend to have the word "moderated" in the group name.

--
http://davesrocketworks.com
David Schultz

Re: COMP LANG FORTH: no pilot on command

<20231103193645.e207fed685bcba833c819529@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=25109&group=comp.lang.forth#25109

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 19:36:45 +0000
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 19:36 UTC

On Fri, 3 Nov 2023 10:45:20 -0500
David Schultz <david.schultz@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 11/3/23 8:33 AM, Marc Petremann wrote:
> > Hello,
> > COMP LANG FORTH has been polluted by massive spam for almost two weeks.
> > Obviously, there is no longer anyone in charge to delete these more than unwanted messages!
>
> That isn't how Usenet works. There was never someone in charge.

No but some Usenet feeds are filtered. Such as the one I'm using
(it's Eternal-September for those who can't read headers), and I'm very
happy that it is.

> In this case it appears to be a single bad actor abusing Google Groups.
> Which isn't completely inactive. One other newsgroup that I read was hit
> far harder but has now been set as read only over at Google Groups. So
> no more posts from there.
>
> That shut off the flood of spam in that group at least.
>
> > So I took the initiative to open a COMP LANG FORTH group on Facebook.
> > You may be allergic to FACEBOOK. It's your right.
> > but at least we can moderate the publications.
>
> There is, or at least was, such a thing as a moderated newsgroup. They
> tend to have the word "moderated" in the group name.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: COMP LANG FORTH: no pilot on command

<6545b865$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=25110&group=comp.lang.forth#25110

Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 14:20:05 +1100
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
From: dxforth@gmail.com (dxf)
 by: dxf - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 03:20 UTC

On 4/11/2023 6:36 am, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Nov 2023 10:45:20 -0500
> David Schultz <david.schultz@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> On 11/3/23 8:33 AM, Marc Petremann wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> COMP LANG FORTH has been polluted by massive spam for almost two weeks.
>>> Obviously, there is no longer anyone in charge to delete these more than unwanted messages!
>>
>> That isn't how Usenet works. There was never someone in charge.
>
> No but some Usenet feeds are filtered. Such as the one I'm using
> (it's Eternal-September for those who can't read headers), and I'm very
> happy that it is.

Usenet could be considered an informal collective in which each provider
is in command and responsible for what it injects.

Re: COMP LANG FORTH: no pilot on command

<ui92fi$3t7r1$1@news.usenet.ovh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=25121&group=comp.lang.forth#25121

From: llp@news.usenet.ovh (llp)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2023 22:46:26 +0100
 by: llp - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 21:46 UTC

Kerr-Mudd, John a présenté l'énoncé suivant :
> On Fri, 3 Nov 2023 10:45:20 -0500
> David Schultz <david.schultz@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> On 11/3/23 8:33 AM, Marc Petremann wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> COMP LANG FORTH has been polluted by massive spam for almost two weeks.
>>> Obviously, there is no longer anyone in charge to delete these more than
>>> unwanted messages!
>>
>> That isn't how Usenet works. There was never someone in charge.
>
> No but some Usenet feeds are filtered. Such as the one I'm using
> (it's Eternal-September for those who can't read headers), and I'm very
> happy that it is.

Yes, me too with my server.