finlandia:~> apropos win win: nothing appropriate.

devel / comp.lang.java.programmer / cross-platform packaged app

SubjectAuthor
* cross-platform packaged appLouis B
+* cross-platform packaged appe.d.pro...@gmail.com
|`- cross-platform packaged appMartin Gregorie
`- cross-platform packaged appArne_Vajhøj

1
cross-platform packaged app

<0001HW.291906EB000218483077A238F@nntp.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=478&group=comp.lang.java.programmer#478

From: louis77@mac.com (Louis B)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
Subject: cross-platform packaged app
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 10:27:07 +0100
 by: Louis B - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 09:27 UTC

Hey there

I’m currently planning on developing a UI App based on JavaFX for Win,
Mac and Linux. The requirement would be that the app can be executed on these
platforms without the user having to install a JRE. So the app must either be
natively compiled or packaged with a JRE.

Is there anyone here who can share the best practice on how to do that?

- Louis

Re: cross-platform packaged app

<6d5f4caa-fc1b-444c-917a-79678fe2d852n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=479&group=comp.lang.java.programmer#479

Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 04:09:58 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: cross-platform packaged app
From: e.d.programmer@gmail.com (e.d.pro...@gmail.com)
 by: e.d.pro...@gmail.com - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 12:09 UTC

On Monday, November 7, 2022 at 4:27:22 AM UTC-5, Louis B wrote:
> Hey there
>
> I’m currently planning on developing a UI App based on JavaFX for Win,
> Mac and Linux. The requirement would be that the app can be executed on these
> platforms without the user having to install a JRE. So the app must either be
> natively compiled or packaged with a JRE.
>
> Is there anyone here who can share the best practice on how to do that?
>
> - Louis

Java never has to be installed, you can download it and extract it and point the run as to the javaw.exe.
I'm not sure about the licensing for distributing the JRE. Packaging it with a download for in house app users in a zip should be simple enough.
When you download Java, it asks you what OS, so you would need separate downloads for each OS.
If you want something they can just run without extracting a folder and linking the Java exe to a jar file, you can build it all in an exe file for Windows (https://launch4j.sourceforge.net/). I don't know about Mac or Linux.

Re: cross-platform packaged app

<tkbddp$3kh97$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=480&group=comp.lang.java.programmer#480

From: martin@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 16:57:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 16:57 UTC

On Mon, 7 Nov 2022 04:09:58 -0800 (PST), e.d.pro...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Monday, November 7, 2022 at 4:27:22 AM UTC-5, Louis B wrote:
>> Hey there
>>
>> I’m currently planning on developing a UI App based on JavaFX for
>> Win,
>> Mac and Linux. The requirement would be that the app can be executed on
>> these platforms without the user having to install a JRE. So the app
>> must either be natively compiled or packaged with a JRE.
>>
>> Is there anyone here who can share the best practice on how to do that?
>>
>> - Louis
>
> Java never has to be installed, you can download it and extract it and
> point the run as to the javaw.exe.
> I'm not sure about the licensing for distributing the JRE. Packaging it
> with a download for in house app users in a zip should be simple enough.
> When you download Java, it asks you what OS, so you would need separate
> downloads for each OS.
> If you want something they can just run without extracting a folder and
> linking the Java exe to a jar file, you can build it all in an exe file
> for Windows (https://launch4j.sourceforge.net/). I don't know about Mac
> or Linux.

OpenJava packages are included in all the commonly used Linux
distributions. They are entirely compatible with the equivalent Oracle
releases and include the standard documentation and toolsets.

--

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Re: cross-platform packaged app

<tkc7po$1d59$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=481&group=comp.lang.java.programmer#481

From: arne@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 19:27:36 -0500
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 00:27 UTC

On 11/7/2022 4:27 AM, Louis B wrote:
> I’m currently planning on developing a UI App based on JavaFX for Win,
> Mac and Linux. The requirement would be that the app can be executed on these
> platforms without the user having to install a JRE. So the app must either be
> natively compiled or packaged with a JRE.
>
> Is there anyone here who can share the best practice on how to do that?

I have never tried any of it.

But you should probably investigate:
- JavaFX jlink with launcher
- Gluon substrate to create native image

Arne